Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

"I don't know if I'm unpopular or just crazy"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
loud, obnoxious, dumb movie Hereditary

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

All of this is correct

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Beau is Afraid was too short

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i want longer movies with worse cinemascore ratings made by ari aster who is paid more to make sense less and i'm not kidding

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i wish i could make that popping noise with my tongue

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Man, some people just don't get some movies establish characters as dumb, unaware and irresponsible and immediately start calling it "plot holes and lazy writing!".

It's clear early on in the movie that the teenage son in Hereditary is a total immature shithead and the movie establishes that by having him just be careless with regards to his sister. Then when poo poo goes down he panics and people do dumb things when they panic. And, yeah, you cause the death of a family member in the manner he did no poo poo your brain is going to shut down...it's called a traumatic response

OK, I'll stop I got fired up again.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Hey, didn't stop that weird remake!

Glad to hear that not only did they get Dourif, they're adding a Tiffany skin and got Jennifer Tilly in to voice her too.

If they tried to do it without her, i'm convinced she'd murder the whole studio

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wow Divinity wasn't very good. Like bargain bin Panos Cosmatos. Some fun stop motion tho.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Every season of chucky I’m more worried about Tiffany dying because Tilly is the mvp of the whole show

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I really hope they actually commit to Chucky dying this season and Don makes the final movie just everyone going to his funeral... It would be amazing. Andy, Kyle, and the kids all there. Tiffany and Nica causing some sort of scene through their cycle of obsession and violence...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I hope Megan kills Chucky. gently caress you boomer.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Justin Godscock posted:

Man, some people just don't get some movies establish characters as dumb, unaware and irresponsible and immediately start calling it "plot holes and lazy writing!".

It's on the same tangent of the main characters aren't always likeable, relatable, or the 'good guys', and some get shocked when a main character is such an rear end in a top hat you'd avoid that type of person in reality.

Speaking as someone who's sat through way more than my share of legitimate lazy writing and plot holes that anyone with at least two brain cells can see, Hereditary is absolutely none of that. It says more about the google reviewer that 1) They hate horror films and hate that their mom watches horror, so why are they still sitting through horror films they don't like other than to whine about it online for attention. 2) Being they cite comedies are better skips the point they made about Coraline. Clearly the bleaker end of horror isn't their thing by any stretch yet they do like dark fantasy which does share some elements with horror, which isn't that different than not all comedies work for everyone. To use me for example, Napoleon Dynamite did absolutely nothing for me, but others found it hysterically funny along with some 70s/80s era comedies still crack me up but others can't see the funny even if it was pointed out in a powerpoint presentation.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

i knew someone itt thread wrote it

lol I like Hereditary, to be clear, but I actually think some of those are weirdly cogent criticisms for a reviewer who clearly doesn’t

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'm just sad that "YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT YOUR LITTLE SISTER HAD A NUT ALLERGY. WHY WOULD YOU TELL HER TO GO EAT A CAKE?!" is probably too long for a thread title.

Be Paiman, eat nut cake and die.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

lol I like Hereditary, to be clear, but I actually think some of those are weirdly cogent criticisms for a reviewer who clearly doesn’t

I don’t think it is because those complaints are the complaints of someone who just hates storytelling

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Fair! I guess I just mean the contrivances never really hung together for me. Not enough to call it a bad movie or poorly done or whatever, because it’s not and isn’t, but I do think it’s a lot dumber than people give it credit for and it’s not built in such a way for the intricate coincidences the scenario requires to feel justifiably the work of the cult.

I’m generally an Asterdisliker tho, despite four-starring ol’ Hered on Letterboxd, so obviously other’s mileage may vary

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The family is deeply detached and broken from each other. None of them communicate properly and this leads to their downfall.

Peter lies that he’s going to some school thing instead of a party, mom forces Charlie on him, he just sends her off to do whatever because he doesn’t care.

Then it leads to her death where he just once again, says nothing and doesn’t communicate leading to more anger and resentment

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Being literal about Hereditary feels like the dullest way to experience Hereditary. For me it's all about that sweet sweet emotion and symbolism

And sometimes spooky ghosts :discourse:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Also even if the family dynamics seem heightened or stupid, imo they're pretty relatable in the same way that like...Mommy Dearest is cartoonish and insane but relatable.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Being literal about Hereditary feels like the dullest way to experience Hereditary. For me it's all about that sweet sweet emotion and symbolism

And sometimes spooky ghosts :discourse:

It depends on the degree of how literal one goes. Go literal enough and one can shred the hell out of any rom-com, romance or the like. I went in watching Hereditary taking things at face value and it was compelling enough to pull me in on the underlying mystery and the demonology lore.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

I really hope they actually commit to Chucky dying this season and Don makes the final movie just everyone going to his funeral... It would be amazing. Andy, Kyle, and the kids all there. Tiffany and Nica causing some sort of scene through their cycle of obsession and violence...

Have Chucky finally die, but then have Caroline learn the body swap spell and have her take over a Good Guy doll and become the "new" Chucky. Make everyone in the audience freak out about it being the series' Friday the 13th Part 5, but it doesn't matter because we just refocus on it being The Tiffany Show anyway.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

M_Sinistrari posted:

It depends on the degree of how literal one goes. Go literal enough and one can shred the hell out of any rom-com, romance or the like. I went in watching Hereditary taking things at face value and it was compelling enough to pull me in on the underlying mystery and the demonology lore.

To enjoy it you just have to accept the slightly heightened world it's set in. It's not realistic for the cult to plan everything down to such detail, but there's a sense that the family is doomed to their fate regardless of the specifics. It's inevitable one way or another, and that's where part of the horror comes in. I can see why some people would hate that though, and that's fair.

Criticising Peter's reaction to the inciting accident is silly though, shutting off communication like that is a very realistic response to trauma.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
On rewatching Hereditary for October, I was trying to piece together all of the mechanics and magical little pushes that Paiman / Paiman's followers does throughout. The detail that there's a Piaman symbol on the electrical pole where Charlie gets killed is fun to spot but makes it confusing as to how much control is being exerted. So Paiman would have to control Charlie eating the cake that was prepared next to the nuts, and control the thing that runs in front of Peter's car as Charlie's choking, and then would have to somehow know Peter would swerve right to avoid it, making Charlie collide with the pole. Thinking about that kinda poked holes in the movie's control and how much care is put into everything working out.

Still a great movie. I loved it even more on rewatch, cuz I could just sit back and enjoy it without the stress of the first time viewing. I hadn't seen it since the original theatrical run.

Weird Sandwich posted:

Criticising Peter's reaction to the inciting accident is silly though, shutting off communication like that is a very realistic response to trauma.

He smoked a bunch of weed like 5 minutes before the inciting incident. He's a teenager. I found his traumatic response believable.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

demon magic is like the force

it wills the story to its needs

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

demon magic is like the force

it wills the story to its needs

Overall, I agree. It's a detail that you really only get on rewatch and is easy to miss even then. It's not a big deal, but it does crumble on scrutiny. It's like the air tanks exploding in JAWS. The movie's good enough that you don't care, and the results are spectacular for an audience.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I took it to be more that the cult is like "this event will happen at this location" and then a sequence of preceding events just naturally falls into place to make it so as opposed to each individual action being pre-planned.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah exactly. Honestly the more I watch movies and hear people complain about logic and stuff the more I appreciate when a film can just barrel through logic and keep you in love. Because there's more going on than just the logic of it.

JJ Abrams is really good at this, but his work doesnt really lend itself to rewatches or thinking back on it because when it's over, there isn't anything left so you just get confused.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah exactly. Honestly the more I watch movies and hear people complain about logic and stuff the more I appreciate when a film can just barrel through logic and keep you in love. Because there's more going on than just the logic of it.

JJ Abrams is really good at this, but his work doesnt really lend itself to rewatches or thinking back on it because when it's over, there isn't anything left so you just get confused.

I think it's a balancing act. A movie doesn't have to be grounded, but the more work you put into making the script and story mechanically sound where all the pieces fit together with internal logic, then you have more leeway with stretching the logic or breaking the rules here and there. Or it allows you to make a point by breaking the rules.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I took it to be more that the cult is like "this event will happen at this location" and then a sequence of preceding events just naturally falls into place to make it so as opposed to each individual action being pre-planned.

That's how I took it. Hereditary has a nightmarish feel to it and this kind of vague magical predetermination just adds to it. You just can't figure it out or stop it, it's just rolling over you.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Justin Godscock posted:

It's clear early on in the movie that the teenage son in Hereditary is a total immature shithead and the movie establishes that by having him just be careless with regards to his sister. Then when poo poo goes down he panics and people do dumb things when they panic. And, yeah, you cause the death of a family member in the manner he did no poo poo your brain is going to shut down...it's called a traumatic response

OK, I'll stop I got fired up again.

That guy made the mistake but the real issue with Hereditary is the illogical leaps for anything to happen at all.

A mom orders her teenage son to take her younger daughter to a kegger?? The kid has a nut allergy and eats nuts?? I've met 5 year olds that have a firmer grasp about their nut allergy. Who the gently caress makes a walnut cake at a high school party? The movie should have stopped right there. NOBODY MAKES A WALNUT CAKE AT A HIGH SCHOOL PARTY. I WOULD HAVE PUT THE MIXING BOWL DOWN AND BEEN LIKE WOAH WHY ARE WE MAKING A CAKE ANYONE ELSE FEEL CULT INFLUENCES

gently caress man let me criticize this poo poo rear end movie it sucked so hard. Ari Aster was given a 10 mil budget after a 15 minute youtube short and panicked getting characters from point a to point b.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
God drat to even make the head popping off make sense they had to stick the Charlie dummy halfway out the window to where her shins would be the only torque keeping her in the car as it somehow avoids the side mirror to perfectly hit the side of the pole god drat it

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

That guy made the mistake but the real issue with Hereditary is the illogical leaps for anything to happen at all.

A mom orders her teenage son to take her younger daughter to a kegger?? The kid has a nut allergy and eats nuts?? I've met 5 year olds that have a firmer grasp about their nut allergy. Who the gently caress makes a walnut cake at a high school party? The movie should have stopped right there. NOBODY MAKES A WALNUT CAKE AT A HIGH SCHOOL PARTY. I WOULD HAVE PUT THE MIXING BOWL DOWN AND BEEN LIKE WOAH WHY ARE WE MAKING A CAKE ANYONE ELSE FEEL CULT INFLUENCES

gently caress man let me criticize this poo poo rear end movie it sucked so hard. Ari Aster was given a 10 mil budget after a 15 minute youtube short and panicked getting characters from point a to point b.

The mom thinks it's a school function. He never admits it's a house party. Charlie doesn't eat nuts, she eats cake that was prepared next to nuts. The cake was already prepared when they're chopping up nuts for I guess another cake. And people getting drunk and making quick desserts is definitely something I experienced in high school and college parties.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
https://cdn-cf-east.streamable.com/...EYUVEN4EVB2OKEQ

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

God drat to even make the head popping off make sense they had to stick the Charlie dummy halfway out the window to where her shins would be the only torque keeping her in the car as it somehow avoids the side mirror to perfectly hit the side of the pole god drat it

*ding*

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

The mom thinks it's a school function. He never admits it's a house party. Charlie doesn't eat nuts, she eats cake that was prepared next to nuts. The cake was already prepared when they're chopping up nuts for I guess another cake. And people getting drunk and making quick desserts is definitely something I experienced in high school and college parties.

Gotta love “illogical plot holes” that are solved with paying a minimum amount of attention to the film

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The mom being incredibly too stupid to figure out that the kid is going to a party is one thing. Blame it on grief, fine.

If you legitimately went to a high school party where they're chopping that many nuts. Get the gently caress out of here.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Logic is for the weak.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what happens when you watch a david lynch movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

The mom being incredibly too stupid to figure out that the kid is going to a party is one thing. Blame it on grief, fine.

If you legitimately went to a high school party where they're chopping that many nuts. Get the gently caress out of here.

*ding*