Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

derp posted:

senses of humor vary widely. the descriptions of pynchon's wacky action and character names have left me with little interest in reading him. crying of lot 49 i did read, and it just confirmed that he's not to my taste. cant have everybody loving a thing, otherwise it wouldn't be good.

"Descriptions" of the action and names?

Somebody hold me back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I love every one of the Chums of Chance with all my heart, and doubly so for the talking dog

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Get this derp guy outta here, take his coat

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
yeah yeah i also didnt think flann obrien was funny, and I dont really like hemingway, lets just get it all out in the open

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
It's ok Hemingway didn't like himself either

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Flann O'Brien wasn't being funny, I think that was his point.

Hemingway, eh, who cares. He will not last into whatever history of literature exists in the future.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've only read The Sun Also Rises and wish I hadn't

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hemingway had a few nice set pieces, and a distinct style that was unusual at the time. The style that came after him was similarly curt, but had to also be ironic in response to the times. He's not unworthy of reading. But more like a "history of English lit" thing, based on his moment. He was very influential on a lot of genre fiction.

With that said, "Old man and the sea", is Legit Good Must-Read

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I read Lot 49 very very recently I thought it was fun, it did not feel like a particularly difficult novella. A parodic detective novel where questions of conspiratorial thinking are foregrounded much more than the conspiracy itself. The fun for me was definitely in the rapidity & inventiveness of all the directions in which the referential spirals out and turns in on itself, set upon a breezy genre plot that tours through the California west coast as endless highway/beach populated by vain pedophiles, and racist libertarians.
Hell, I'll say it -- The Big Lebowski is also funny

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
I mean it was good, yeah, but there's so many good books I gotta love it not just like it to keep going on

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Who in their right mind is saying Lebowski isn't funny?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Not me

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

That movie was heavily influenced by Pynchon, I think they've even said as much

It's very Vineland

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, the rumors that PTA is adapting Vineland have started up again too, starring Leo to boot. Weird how influential the mans worst novel is in cinema.

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
This is pretty woolly, but imo there is some basic warmth and humanism about The Big Lebowski that Pynchon for the most part lacks. Maybe it’s even just at the level of performances and production, but it is there.

It’s not that Pynchon isn’t capable of moments of human resonance. Off the top of my head I can think of the banana breakfast at the very start of GR, or the vision of people praying in church all over England, or various moments of down-and-out paranoid desolation. But the other stuff distracts from it too much. It’s just… games, at great length. Hundreds of pages of Slothrop dodging custard pies and having sex with interchangeable teen-boy-fantasy women with hilarious names and, like, that poo poo is tedious to me.

Anyway! I’m midway through Augustus and so far it’s a very enjoyable political thriller and examination of how power corrupts (have you heard?). I like Shakespeare’s Roman plays and I like high-level backstabbing so this is my sort of thing. It’s also fascinatingly different in style and subject matter from Butcher’s Crossing. I’d never have guessed it was the same writer.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lobster Henry posted:

This is pretty woolly, but imo there is some basic warmth and humanism about The Big Lebowski that Pynchon for the most part lacks. Maybe it’s even just at the level of performances and production, but it is there.

It’s not that Pynchon isn’t capable of moments of human resonance. Off the top of my head I can think of the banana breakfast at the very start of GR, or the vision of people praying in church all over England, or various moments of down-and-out paranoid desolation. But the other stuff distracts from it too much. It’s just… games, at great length. Hundreds of pages of Slothrop dodging custard pies and having sex with interchangeable teen-boy-fantasy women with hilarious names and, like, that poo poo is tedious to me.

Anyway! I’m midway through Augustus and so far it’s a very enjoyable political thriller and examination of how power corrupts (have you heard?). I like Shakespeare’s Roman plays and I like high-level backstabbing so this is my sort of thing. It’s also fascinatingly different in style and subject matter from Butcher’s Crossing. I’d never have guessed it was the same writer.

If you want basic warmth and humanism from pynchon, then it's there in mason and dixon and against the day.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

im reading a man asleep by georges perec. another great 2nd person novel(la) by the by. but its also somewhat depressing

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Vineland was kind of stupid unfortunately. I skimmed most of the songs in Gravity's Rainbow. :D

with that said, the man can write. I have Mason & Dixon. I read the first page some time ago and thought to myself, "This is absolutely incredible. Also I am going to procrastinate reading this thing for years". that sums up Pynchon for me

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

in other news I read that Margaret Atwood essay collection on the sci-fi genre (based on people talking about it many many pages ago in this thread) and it was fun. I forget why it made certain people mad, after all it was Le Guin who said the "literary ghetto" thing about sci-fi

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2009/aug/29/margaret-atwood-year-of-flood

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

from memory, le guin made the case that "scifi isnt bad just because its scifi. its literature and theres good and bad works", whereas atwood's was more "scifi is by definition bad, so i prefer to call my books speculative fiction" but that memory is probably not accurate

fwiw ive liked p much all their books (except, ironically, the year of the flood, i felt it made the world & story of oryx & crake too small)

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Help I can't stop buying poetry. Just picked up Cesar Vallejo "the complete posthumous poetry"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thehoodie posted:

Help I can't stop buying poetry. Just picked up Cesar Vallejo "the complete posthumous poetry"

theres no shame in buying books, i wish i could buy more

speaking of, ive been wanting to watch this since i heard about it but wow i dont like the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeIUY9EhZgI

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

theres no shame in buying books, i wish i could buy more

i need to feed my family

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thehoodie posted:

i need to feed my family

well ok thats fair. having to feed them is one of the many reasons i dont have one

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just finished Auster's Leviathan and it's the longest 245 pages I've ever slogged through. Man can he bore me.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

another example of why it seems like a good idea to ignore most american lit. unless proven otherwise :smuggo:

anyways, bought savage detectives and “de” by helle helle today. gonna start reading bolaño first

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Savage Detectives is American literature.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

thehoodie posted:

i need to feed my family

let them eat books

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Savage Detectives is American literature.

I use american as a shorthand for unitedstatesian

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

anyways, 55 pages in, savage Ds is good

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

i think the general rule is don't read fiction published first in english from at least the last 25 years. there are a few exceptions (ishiguro comes to mind) but its a pretty safe bet

Segue
May 23, 2007

ulvir posted:

another example of why it seems like a good idea to ignore most american lit. unless proven otherwise :smuggo:

anyways, bought savage detectives and “de” by helle helle today. gonna start reading bolaño first

I just finished Detectives and loved it. It's a similar beast to 2666 in that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, very vibey with a lot of different stories interacting and intersecting, going deep or just skimming. 2666's Archimboldi is referenced too, a whole Bolaño universe.

Part of me keeps wanting to hate the shagginess of it, but it just sinks into my brain and lives there. It also helps the writing is hypnotizing.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this book is surprisingly horny

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Hat Thoughts posted:

I read Lot 49 very very recently I thought it was fun, it did not feel like a particularly difficult novella. A parodic detective novel where questions of conspiratorial thinking are foregrounded much more than the conspiracy itself. The fun for me was definitely in the rapidity & inventiveness of all the directions in which the referential spirals out and turns in on itself, set upon a breezy genre plot that tours through the California west coast as endless highway/beach populated by vain pedophiles, and racist libertarians.
Hell, I'll say it -- The Big Lebowski is also funny

The first two chapters are the highlight of the book imo and really lays everything out bare. Also very sad.

Edit: also been in several frankly baffling debates online recently with “certain scenes shouldn’t be in a movie/book because they “do nothing”” and “stories exist to be uplifting/be hopeful” insipidness. I 10000% blame YA

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

fez_machine posted:

If you want basic warmth and humanism from pynchon, then it's there in mason and dixon and against the day.

PTA’s adaptation of Inherent Vice

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So many writers are horny. Is it because they write instead of fornicate?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

And then... there's Robert Crumb...

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I've finished the first long half of The Wolves of Eternity and I have to say it's completely entrancing. Knausgård somehow instills so much life in his prose and characters that I don't even care how mundane most of it is. And despite its length (400 or so pages just from this one character, a disaffected Norwegian teen coming off of a year in the service) there's an ebb and flow between the mundanity and the "bigger" moments, like a football match, or the first day at a new job, that makes it easy to just keep turning the page. It helps that The Morning Star trained me that Knausgård doesn't much care about spinning a tightly paced, plot-heavy affair. I'll gladly read a whole page and a half about melting butter in a skillet and frying up fish fingers and onions and say thank you

I haven't read My Struggle, but who are some other authors you would compare to Knausgård, so I know where to go for more?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

They're gonna tell you Proust but you don't have to listen to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

jon fosse was his teacher at what would be norway’s equivalent of MFA, so he’s a good next up, though they have really different styles. I would also recommend dag solstad.