Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I can see you standing behind me in the reflection of my monitor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just bought a ticket to see the finale of The Curse in a theatre in January. Let's goooo

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just bought a ticket to see the finale of The Curse in a theatre in January. Let's goooo

Thanks for reminding! I just bought one too and put it on blast to a few friends.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I also bought a pair. hoping for but not expecting a nathan cameo. how many tickets are they setting aside for the full series subscription? by the time I got through tiff/ticketmaster’s headass interface there were a little less than half the seats left.

also gotta reup my vpn because lol if I’m subbing to paramount+

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

My friend went to the premiere screening of The Curse and said that it was mega dark and that tons of people walked out during the first episode and even more walked out during the second. My friend loves it but she said people might not have been ready for Nathan 'acting' (which is bizarre if true because fuckin Emma Stone is in this). Either way jt sounds fuckin wild.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Given the audience for it has to be Fielder fans, wonder what direction it could possibly take to make people walk out. It's not like fans of The Rehearsal or Nathan For You have a low tolerance for slow burns or cringe humor.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.
If they don't make someone eat poop or something poop flavored in the first 45 mins, I'm walking out.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Given the audience for it has to be Fielder fans, wonder what direction it could possibly take to make people walk out. It's not like fans of The Rehearsal or Nathan For You have a low tolerance for slow burns or cringe humor.

My friend didn't say for sure (or know per se why anyone would or wouldn't walk out) but she suspected people might not have been ready for how scripted it is (entirely) vs Nathan's previous projects.

E: there are a lot of reviews out today based on the public screenings and some of them spoil an awful lot, but the Indiewire one isn't too bad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

45 minutes of the back of Nathan's head watching King of Queens

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Funny Games, but Nathan has to get the kills exactly right each time.

Rollos
Aug 11, 2007

Hold on, won't be long

flashy_mcflash posted:

My friend went to the premiere screening of The Curse and said that it was mega dark and that tons of people walked out during the first episode and even more walked out during the second. My friend loves it but she said people might not have been ready for Nathan 'acting' (which is bizarre if true because fuckin Emma Stone is in this). Either way jt sounds fuckin wild.

Awesome. This makes me even more excited for it

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Rollos posted:

Awesome. This makes me even more excited for it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hey since this is pretty much a general Nathan Fielder thread, can a mod change the title to like, “Nathan Fielder: new show, the curse on 11/10” or something like that . Or something better if you think of it. I feel like the title is just sort of confusing at this point.

I was gonna make a new thread for the curse but I feel like this one is fine and already pretty active.

Edit: also if it gets changed I’ll update the op

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 8, 2023

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

thinking about nathan’s oeuvre again made me remember how disappointingly middling both jury duty and paul t goldman were. not everyone can operate on the same level as nathan, oncinema, and john wilson

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
goldman was levels about jury duty, lets be fair...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Goldman was the best show on TV this year.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

it wasnt even the best peacock original of january 2023…

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Won't sit by as people slander Paul T Goldman.

Show is one of the wildest documentaries I've seen, and given the subject matter, handled in a really interesting and fun way. Going into it blind, was aghast at how every episode ended on an escalation from the last.

panko posted:

it wasnt even the best peacock original of january 2023…

...but I can't argue against this. It was up against Poker Face, which was one of the best murder mystery dramas to come out since Columbo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was sort of positive neutral on it honestly. He's definitely a character but the subject matter felt stretched pretty thin. I think it would have worked better as something that clocked in at under 90 minutes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think its good but yeah I wouldn't say its like "elevated" in the same way The Rehearsal was.
Jury Duty on the other hand was just... bland. Like it was a pleasant blandness and I don't regret watching it, but still. Shaved ice show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think Goldman would have been a lot better if it wasn't adhering so strictly to the true crime format. Just way overlong and trying to make everything as dramatic as possible. Even if it was ironic or whatever, I don't think it worked because all of the same things things annoy me about regular true crime annoyed me there too.

It's very funny at times, but I also found myself thinking "yeah, I get it can we move on" a lot.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can see why Goldman was part of this thread in terms of subject matter, but everything Nathan does is so far beyond it IMO, I will be happy to see the end of Paul.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fwiw a mod did that I wasn't trying to make a combo thread for 2 almost unrelated shows

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

The problem with Paul T Goldman was not enough Royce Rocco.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Eh I think we were asking for it at the time since this became the place to talk about that show and wasn't quite warranting its own thread.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

This could easily transition into the general Nathan Fielder\alt humor TV show thread.

How To With John Wilson was produced by Nathan but that's about it and is also good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Even as someone who enjoys a lot of comedy and comedians labelled as alt-comedy, I still have no goddamn idea what that means or why it's alt lol. Come to think of it I never really figured out alt-rock either.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I don't think Paul T Goldman is real and I think it's an incredibly good show

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

George H.W. oval office posted:

How To With John Wilson was produced by Nathan but that's about it and is also good

Do we know if Nathan helped John find subjects for the individual profiles, or did John just run into them on his own? They both seem to specialize in giving platforms to eccentric/hyper-fixated personalities...

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pretty sure he just produced on John Wilson. I don’t think he had any major creative involvement. How to with John Wilson is god tier though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Paul T. Goldman was an absolutely wild experience and I still sometimes find myself thinking about scenes from it and how loving out there it got. "As fast as you can, slam the man."

Another Bill posted:

The problem with Paul T Goldman was not enough Royce Rocco.

:hmmyes:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

veni veni veni posted:

Pretty sure he just produced on John Wilson. I don’t think he had any major creative involvement. How to with John Wilson is god tier though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU

Nathan actually talks about his creative involvement in this mini feature 'Anatomy of the bread scene'

Another Bill fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 9, 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
The first episode of The Curse shows some promise, but it was kinda slow. But I do like Nathan's acting.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

cant cook creole bream posted:

The first episode of The Curse shows some promise, but it was kinda slow. But I do like Nathan's acting.
I also watched it. I thought it was alright. Nathan is my favorite part of it, but this is certainly no Nathan For You or The Rehearsal. I think it would benefit from being half an hour long instead of an hour. My favorite part was definitely the reality show commercial about a bunch of women competing for the love of a guy whose face they can't see and only after the winner legally marries him do they see his face and find out that he's a burn victim.

You do get to see a full frontal view of Nathan pissing in it, though. That's gotta do it for someone.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
its good

Rageaholic posted:

I think it would benefit from being half an hour long instead of an hour.

nonsense

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought it was fantastic. Can’t wait to see where this goes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked it a lot. It’s very uncomfortable in the best way. At first I thought it maybe should be a half-hour show but I think making it even more drawn-out works to its benefit. Stone is fantastic as ever but I’m really impressed by Fielder’s performance, he does a great job of showcasing Asher’s rage and entitlement.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is the first episode gonna be the only hour long one? I know some shows do that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mordja posted:

Is the first episode gonna be the only hour long one?

Not to my knowledge, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demostars
Apr 8, 2020
someone make a cherry tomato boys gangtag ASAP