Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

They should include an Abby Yates and/or Jillian Holtzmann cameo in Frozen Empire and watch the entire fandom melt down.

Bonus points for a Patty cameo, but none for including Gilbert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

AndyElusive posted:

They should include an Abby Yates and/or Jillian Holtzmann cameo in Frozen Empire and watch the entire fandom melt down.

Bonus points for a Patty cameo, but none for including Gilbert.

Who?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

These guys?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kristen Wiig's character in GB2016 was Dr. Erin Gilbert.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Kumail Nanjiani just confirmed on twitter that the writers/director were essentially aiming to create a feature-length, live action movie that felt like an episode of The Real Ghostbusters.

https://x.com/straczynski/status/1722729369658106157?s=46&t=AO94-Nyeqyc_3nMDXCDtuA

Womp womp.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh boo hoo, someone mentioned RGB and JMS wasn’t instantly invited.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Straczynski is an old school writer in the sense that he wants to write his stuff that you hired him to write and then have it actually be used, not workshopped to death by a hundred corporate stooges. Can't have that sort of presence in a modern blockbuster production.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The_Doctor posted:

Oh boo hoo, someone mentioned RGB and JMS wasn’t instantly invited.

Hey I mean even a 3-second cameo might have been kinda cute, if they’re leaning into the Real GB thing. Kinda like how Afterlife had a cameo from one of the RGB toys (although if the new movie doesn’t feature Fearsome Flush I will be loving furious).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

"We want to make a movie that's like The Real Ghostbusters! It'll be great!"
"Should we hire one of the writers of The Real Ghostbusters, then? Or maybe talk to them for ideas--"
"NO you absolute MORON!" *hits a red button, a 1000 Diablo Cody's swarm in like Agent Smith*

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Who Ya Gonna Call?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just want a Ghostbusters that isn't either retreading existing ground in a desperate appeal to nostalgia or based around the rapidly decaying corpses of the surviving cast members. Is that so much to ask?

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

After watching the teaser... do they know Ghostbusters is supposed to be funny?

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I will say this:

DON'T trust trailers.

They're outsourced to companies who basically follow a template. They are worthless. That's why I usually don't watch them, all they do is spoil the big moments.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Yeah but I also saw Afterlife and have the same question

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Timby posted:

"Egon Spengler can burn in hell" is the moment I finally turned on Afterlife; there is no way Ray Stantz would say that. Especially after the follow-up exposition scene in which Ray just says that Egon got paranoid and eventually took the equipment and hosed off to Oklahoma because he had found something big.

I didn't hate Afterlife that much, but I had the same reaction to that moment. For a movie to be so overly reverent to the original in so many superficial ways but cock up the characters that much really felt bad. Do anything else with that scene. Have Ray say no one knows where Egon went, have him say Egon went insane Lovecraft-style, have him say Egon told everyone else to leave him alone, just don't have Ray the human Golden Retriever say he hopes Egon is burning in hell.

It's "Leia ignores Chewbacca after Han dies" levels of not getting the characters.

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!

Kumail Nanjiani just confirmed on twitter that the writers/director were essentially aiming to create a feature-length, live action movie that felt like an episode of The Real Ghostbusters.

It’s super evident from the trailer

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ALFbrot posted:

Yeah but I also saw Afterlife and have the same question

True Afterlife wasn't very funny, but I think the vibe they're going for with this is that everyone's back together and we're back in business so it's not so sentimental and we can have more jokes now

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh man I'm just not feeling that trailer. I guess a lot of that is because the first minute is just the scene with the storm cloud rolling in on the beach and everything about the Ghostbusters is crammed into the rest of the trailer, and most of that is just characters reacting to something off screen.

Also "the Death Chill" sounds lame.

I've made my thoughts on how much I despised Afterlife and the Funkopopification of the (ugh) franchise, but I felt the trailer course-corrected a bit - maybe it's the 80s music or the bustling, grimy NY setting, but it felt to "get" Ghostbusters a bit more. But...

Yeah, I liked that show as a kid, but like the original foe different reasons as an adult, and arguing that that's not really Ghostbusters is like arguing about how Fall Out Boy isn't real emo compared to Rites of Spring or whatever at this point. It's not wrong, but most people will think you're a dickhead. Ah well.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Afterlife is ghostbusters force awakens so now that its out of their system and not committed to a trilogy maybe we can get a good movie

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Alan_Shore posted:

"NO you absolute MORON!" *hits a red button, a 1000 Diablo Cody's swarm in like Agent Smith*
Wait. Why Diablo Cody? All I know about her is that she wrote Juno.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

weekly font posted:

Afterlife is ghostbusters force awakens so now that its out of their system and not committed to a trilogy maybe we can get a good movie

wonder which dead actor they digitized this time

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

zer0spunk posted:

wonder which dead actor they digitized this time

Bill Murray isn't dead yet but it was suspicious that he wasn't sitting down in the trailer shots.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Disco Pope posted:

I've made my thoughts on how much I despised Afterlife and the Funkopopification of the (ugh) franchise, but I felt the trailer course-corrected a bit - maybe it's the 80s music or the bustling, grimy NY setting, but it felt to "get" Ghostbusters a bit more. But...

I guess to be fair it wasn't an actual trailer but only a teaser, I'll put aside my initial reactions for now and wait for a proper trailer

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I guess to be fair it wasn't an actual trailer but only a teaser, I'll put aside my initial reactions for now and wait for a proper trailer

I thought it was a trailer? Aren't teasers like one image and a bit of text (usually the title and date)? Why don't you consider the two minute video a trailer?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I thought it was a trailer? Aren't teasers like one image and a bit of text (usually the title and date)? Why don't you consider the two minute video a trailer?

The title of the video on the official Sony youtube channel is "GHOSTBUSTERS: FROZEN EMPIRE - Official Teaser Trailer (HD)"

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The title of the video on the official Sony youtube channel is "GHOSTBUSTERS: FROZEN EMPIRE - Official Teaser Trailer (HD)"

Ah, so Sony themselves are loving it up. Fair enough. I don't know why they'd call it that, though; that was an almost textbook trailer.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I think Ghostbusters is a lot like Star Wars.

The premise for both is so open-ended and universal, that you must be able to tell loads of great stories in these universes.

But then it turns out no, you can't. They were only classics because the movies had the right people at the right time and place.

When you try to remake it (2016), it's awful. When you take it in a completely fresh direction (Afterlife), it's... fine. I don't need to tell you that Ghostbusters isn't about proton packs and the Ecto 1, in the same way Stars Wars isn't just light sabers.

I think the only way you could "update" Ghostbusters would be to try and mirror the dynamic of the original but maybe age it up a bit. They should have made a more comedic version with Seth Rogan, Danny McBride etc while keeping the horror. We need schlubby guys waddling around. I think they could have made a funny film, and at the end of the day, for any Ghostbusters remake, funny is all we can really ask for.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Shadows of the Empire but for Ghostbusters

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

The premise for both is so open-ended and universal, that you must be able to tell loads of great stories in these universes.

But then it turns out no, you can't. They were only classics because the movies had the right people at the right time and place.

When you try to remake it (2016), it's awful. When you take it in a completely fresh direction (Afterlife), it's... fine. I don't need to tell you that Ghostbusters isn't about proton packs and the Ecto 1, in the same way Stars Wars isn't just light sabers.

I think the only way you could "update" Ghostbusters would be to try and mirror the dynamic of the original but maybe age it up a bit. They should have made a more comedic version with Seth Rogan, Danny McBride etc while keeping the horror. We need schlubby guys waddling around. I think they could have made a funny film, and at the end of the day, for any Ghostbusters remake, funny is all we can really ask for.

2016 wasn't a remake. It was in fact exactly what you were asking for, a bunch of comedians making a comedic movie. You can say they didn't do it right but it isn't like they didn't have the idea in place.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It was a "reimagining," which is the shittiest kind of remake.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alan_Shore posted:

Something both Real and Extreme Ghostbusters (and the IDW comics) did very well. The failure on the parts of the movies to tell a good story is a separate problem of their own making.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

moths posted:

It was a "reimagining," which is the shittiest kind of remake.

Nah. Reimaginings can own. Without them you don't get The Fly or The Thing.

The_Doctor posted:

Something both Real and Extreme Ghostbusters (and the IDW comics) did very well. The failure on the parts of the movies to tell a good story is a separate problem of their own making.

To be fair to Real, it basically did that by changing all the characters pretty wildly aside from the absolute broadest strokes. (Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure like 45% of my like of Ghostbusters is due to The Real Ghostbusters. 50% is due to the original Ghostbusters and 5% is due to the lawyer scene in Ghostbusters 2.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 11, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Teasers haven’t been like this in decades

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Apropos of nothing, Lorenzo Seasons> Coulier Seasons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Apropos of nothing, Lorenzo Seasons> Coulier Seasons.

This should be argued by no one. A complete given.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Mods change my name to Lorenzo Seasons

90sgamer
Jun 28, 2023
fuck off worms butthole guy!!!
The problem with Ghostbusters 2016 is that its a bad movie that tries to be a self parody

If they just made a new ghostbusters film in the original universe and played it straight it would have been fine and there wouldnt have been anywhere near the backlash.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Mods change my name to Lorenzo Seasons

Someone else should be called Coulier Seasons, and they'd be your posting enemy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

90sgamer posted:

The problem with Ghostbusters 2016 is that its a bad movie that tries to be a self parody

If they just made a new ghostbusters film in the original universe and played it straight it would have been fine and there wouldnt have been anywhere near the backlash.

I honestly am not sure of how it is more of a self parody than Ghostbusters 2 TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Ghostbusters is a perfect movie, but I like GBII.

I like Vigo, and Janosz, and the river of slime, and the fur coat with the cute minks, and the Scoleri bros, and the puppy, and especially Winston.

There's just a whole lot there to like.