Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Schiavona posted:

For Milwaukee ecosystem folks, Home Depot is doing their "$200 for two 5ah batteries + a tool" deal again.

I don't think I need a grinder, but the light seems like it'd be nice, even if the price is inflated by $25

They have similar thing going for Dewalt but it's a 4ah + 6ah + charger + bag and free tool.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...UkFQv6yh2zSKTQ0

Tool choices are limited to:

quote:

Available tools include:
DCS382B- 20V Max Reciprocating Saw ($85.20)
DCS565B - 20V Max 6-1/2 in Brushless Circular Saw ($85.20)
DCS334B - 20V Max XR Brushless Jigsaw ($99.50)
DCG405B - 20V Max XR Angle Grinder ($99.50)
DCF921B - 20V Max 1/2 in Impact Wrench ($104.26)
DCW600B - 20V Max XR Brushless Router ($99.50)
DCF850B - 20V Max Brushless 1/4 in Impact Driver ($85.20)
DCH172B - 20V Max Brushless Hammer Drill ($99.50)
DCBL722B - 20V Max Brushless Blower ($94.24)
DCB606 - Flexvolt 20V/60V Max 6.0ah Battery ($99.50)

Edit: Looks like you can "hack" this deal down even more:

quote:

The 6.0Ah and 4.0Ah battery kit can be hacked down to $94.74 by selecting the Impact Wrench, then returning it. Any tools are also reduced price if the battery kit is returned. Returns are in store only.

One more Edit: Ryobi 2pack 4ah battery and charger for $99 and you get a free tool: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Lithium-Ion-4-0-Ah-Battery-2-Pack-and-Charger-Kit-PSK006/315424283

wandler20 fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 2, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

wandler20 posted:

One more Edit: Ryobi 2pack 4ah battery and charger for $99 and you get a free tool: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-18V-Lithium-Ion-4-0-Ah-Battery-2-Pack-and-Charger-Kit-PSK006/315424283

Nice, got the brushless OMT.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

more falafel please posted:

Nice, got the brushless OMT.

Get yourself something like this, too.
https://www.amazon.com/Oscillating-...la-801032882771

They cut just as well as the name brand ones when fresh, and at $0.50 a blade, you can always use a fresh one :madmax:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I have that exact kit. They last half as long and cost less than 1/10th of the price each. Seems like a fine tradeoff to me.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
That Ryobi deal has been running since the summer, I think. Maybe with some weeks off here or there and changes to the exact tools.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

The Top G posted:

Get yourself something like this, too.
https://www.amazon.com/Oscillating-...la-801032882771

They cut just as well as the name brand ones when fresh, and at $0.50 a blade, you can always use a fresh one :madmax:
No thanks, I'll stick to the expensive ones that I use far past the point where they're capable of doing anything more than burning the wood because I'm too cheap to buy a new one, thank you very much.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Wait y'all are changing your multi tool blades? But I love that burning wood smell!

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

As a very casual user, how much am I going to notice the difference between a $100 18 gauge Ryobi nailer from DTO and the $250 Milwaukee one? I’m deep in the Milwaukee battery ecosystem, but this purchase is a “I don’t want to turn my noisy pancake compressor on” thing, instead of a “I’ll be using this every day or even every week” thing

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I've never used any other nailer, but I've never been frustrated by my Ryobi in any circumstance that didn't turn out to be user error.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Schiavona posted:

As a very casual user, how much am I going to notice the difference between a $100 18 gauge Ryobi nailer from DTO and the $250 Milwaukee one? I’m deep in the Milwaukee battery ecosystem, but this purchase is a “I don’t want to turn my noisy pancake compressor on” thing, instead of a “I’ll be using this every day or even every week” thing

You won't TBH. The Ryobi is surprisingly well built. Ergonomics are slightly better on the Milwaukee, it's quicker per shot, but none of those are worth $150 for a casual user.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I want something to fire off insulated staples. Do I just fork over $200 for a Dewalt 20v and move on? Corded sounds annoying. Do hand stapler’s generate enough force or will I be tapping these in with a hammer?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I'm already in the Ryobi system, but I'm in a similar boat of using it for hobbyist stuff, and is great. Getting in the Ryobi system means you have access to tons of cheap stuff that's prettt decent -- worklights, fans, the inflator, etc.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Slugworth posted:

No thanks, I'll stick to the expensive ones that I use far past the point where they're capable of doing anything more than burning the wood because I'm too cheap to buy a new one, thank you very much.
I learned this lesson recently.

Was taking the tongue and groove wood siding/walls off my shed and couldn't just pry it off because that destroys the tongue/groove and I wanted to re-use what I could from it, so I ended up using my OMT to slip between the studs and the back side of the wood to cut the nails. A milwaukee bimetal "all purpose" blade lasted less than 10 nails. Picked up two three-packs of Diablo metal cutting blades, which worked out to $13 a blade, figuring I would need a few blades to cut the several hundred remaining nails.

Nope, just one. Went through the first nail like it wasn't there, went through the last nail with just a little protest.

I may be sold on the better blades for anything beyond drywall.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Schiavona posted:

What do you use the compressor for other than that? I similarly was completely over that pancake compressor melting my brain out through my ears and got a quiet 1gal for blowing things off and occasional brad nails. You can get 1 gal models for well under 150 and 2 gallons that or a little more. Then a cheap $20 or $30 nailer and you're in business with the added bonus of actually using your compressor a whole lot more. Now I just have it plugged in with my bench light so whenever I do anything in my garage I'm turning it on and it's there when I need it. Thinking about doing that with my old pancake compressor is terrifying.

If I were doing it again I'd of gotten a 2 gallon, but that's just for blowing. Even 1 gallon is fine for brad nailing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla...XA-18/309832564

Got one of these guys for work and it seems pretty good. Weighs about half as much as my Little Giant I bought 10 years ago for $250.

I always would snort at the use examples where you can use two of them and run a platform between them as a makeshift scaffold. At $250 a pop there's no way I'm buying two. At $100 each? Now we're talking.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

canyoneer posted:

Got one of these guys for work and it seems pretty good. Weighs about half as much as my Little Giant I bought 10 years ago for $250.

A contractor left the taller version of this at my house after he fled under cover of darkness--I fired his rear end and he never came back for his tools. It was like $300 at the time and the thing is indestructible.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Bob Mundon posted:

What do you use the compressor for other than that? I similarly was completely over that pancake compressor melting my brain out through my ears and got a quiet 1gal for blowing things off and occasional brad nails. You can get 1 gal models for well under 150 and 2 gallons that or a little more. Then a cheap $20 or $30 nailer and you're in business with the added bonus of actually using your compressor a whole lot more. Now I just have it plugged in with my bench light so whenever I do anything in my garage I'm turning it on and it's there when I need it. Thinking about doing that with my old pancake compressor is terrifying.

If I were doing it again I'd of gotten a 2 gallon, but that's just for blowing. Even 1 gallon is fine for brad nailing.

I really only use it for brad nails, blowing dust, and seasonally inflating car tires. And, tbh, the dust blowing is usually only to empty the tank after I’ve used it for something else.

What’s the quiet 1 gallon you have?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I ended up with a lemon Ryobi nailer. Went through literally every setting and adjustment and it wouldn't drive a brad more than 1 in 4 pulls. Just returned the thing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

tracecomplete posted:

A contractor left the taller version of this at my house after he fled under cover of darkness--I fired his rear end and he never came back for his tools. It was like $300 at the time and the thing is indestructible.

whoa what happened here?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Ok Comboomer posted:

whoa what happened here?

Absolute shitbastard contractor. Treated his guys badly, so they quit on him and he started scrambling to find cut-rate stringers. I should've known when they loving bought a truckload of millwork pieces for $2K instead of 1x4's for trim, but he took care of it and swore up and down and all around it was an honest mistake, they didn't speak English too well, that song and dance. I wanted to fire him then and should have. Had them put up drywall that was the wrong thickness, when I literally pointed out that it was incorrect; don't worry don't worry, he said, telling the trim guy to shim behind the window trim with quarter-inch plywood. I dismissed his subcontractor on the spot and I fired the GC via text, told him his guys had left some stuff and he should come get it, and then I guess he told his guys that I had yelled and ranted and screamed at him and thrown him off my property. Never came back for the ladder.

It was COVID, though, and I had needed my walls insulated, so a lovely job at half price was better than no job at $0 price. So I left it at that until I realized (because I started pulling trim to fix his loving mistakes) that they'd never bothered to even insulate inside the window frames of the house. In New England. Then when I wrote a blistering Yelp review he blamed it on COVID and "nobody wanting to work"--while he'd hosed off to Florida on vacation for a week in the middle of the whole thing in the first place.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 12, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Unexpectedly my Ryobi 18v cordless fan ends up being constantly used in my kitchen. Works beautifully for cooling things coming out of the oven or off the burner. Being able to pivot the fan downwards and being easy to move etc make it incredibly versatile. On hot kitchen days i can keep it on myself as well.

Surprisingly good and useful kitchen tool just fyi

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That Works posted:

Unexpectedly my Ryobi 18v cordless fan ends up being constantly used in my kitchen. Works beautifully for cooling things coming out of the oven or off the burner. Being able to pivot the fan downwards and being easy to move etc make it incredibly versatile. On hot kitchen days i can keep it on myself as well.

Surprisingly good and useful kitchen tool just fyi

Same. I used this last year too cool perogi before they went in the great bags to freeze for Christmas use.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

tater_salad posted:

Same. I used this last year too cool perogi before they went in the great bags to freeze for Christmas use.

Yeah its great, just yesterday i cooled down some roasted veggies quickly so i could get them out of the prep area and into the fridge, then cooled a pot of turkey stock off the boiler in like 40 mins, then cooled a pie out of the oven etc. Anyways just wanted to share because i use it waaaay more often than i was expecting.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003

Schiavona posted:

I really only use it for brad nails, blowing dust, and seasonally inflating car tires. And, tbh, the dust blowing is usually only to empty the tank after I’ve used it for something else.

What’s the quiet 1 gallon you have?

California Air Tools, but the harbor freight compressors are on sale frequently too. They all seem to have the same decibel ratings for the most part. 1 gallons around 57-58 and 2 at 60db. So basically 3X quieter than the Porter Cable pancake I had (every 10db reduction is a half).

Definitely can't use them for car tire inflation, but I got a Ridgid tire inflator and that's WAY better than the pancake compressor for that job. Depending on what battery system you have I think they all offer them and the Ryobi version is pretty cheap as well if you can snipe a DTO deal.

Also, it seems like there's still lots of demand for pancakes, I had no trouble selling mine for $70 to be rid of that monstrosity. I can see it being useful outdoors on a job site but for garage work? Forget it.

This is the one I got. The CAT compressors are listed for a higher CFM than Harbor Freight so I leaned that way, but it's all pretty minimal for these. In any case a small price to pay for not shattering your reality when it kicks on in a closed garage. https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-1P1060S-Air-Compressor/p71881.html

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 12, 2023

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

tater_salad posted:

Tool thread: Ryobi fan great to cool perogi before they go in the great bags to freeze for Christmas

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
RYOBI crème brûlée torch when

why not done

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Ok Comboomer posted:

why not done

Yes.

https://www.amazon.com/Ryobi-18-Vol...99806130&sr=8-1

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Wait, does 825F melt sugar???

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

why not done

how big is the creme brulee

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/33287208715

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Berzomatic already makes the best creme Brulee torch.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzom...4000T/202185055

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Lol, speaking of DTO deals. I don't know how bad these are but how bad could a track saw + track be for $130?

https://www.directtoolsoutlet.com/product/PTS01B

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Bob Mundon posted:

Lol, speaking of DTO deals. I don't know how bad these are but how bad could a track saw + track be for $130?

Are those type saws any better than a separate track for a regular circ saw?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Bob Mundon posted:

California Air Tools, but the harbor freight compressors are on sale frequently too. They all seem to have the same decibel ratings for the most part. 1 gallons around 57-58 and 2 at 60db. So basically 3X quieter than the Porter Cable pancake I had (every 10db reduction is a half).

Definitely can't use them for car tire inflation, but I got a Ridgid tire inflator and that's WAY better than the pancake compressor for that job. Depending on what battery system you have I think they all offer them and the Ryobi version is pretty cheap as well if you can snipe a DTO deal.

Also, it seems like there's still lots of demand for pancakes, I had no trouble selling mine for $70 to be rid of that monstrosity. I can see it being useful outdoors on a job site but for garage work? Forget it.

This is the one I got. The CAT compressors are listed for a higher CFM than Harbor Freight so I leaned that way, but it's all pretty minimal for these. In any case a small price to pay for not shattering your reality when it kicks on in a closed garage. https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/California-Air-Tools-CAT-1P1060S-Air-Compressor/p71881.html

California Air Tools compressors are indeed magical. I used to own a 5 gallon one but it was far bigger than what I needed it for, so I sold it and ended up buying the Milwaukee M18 2 gallon compressor and that thing is absolutely perfect for me. Just as quiet, easier to move, smaller to store, and big enough to powers nailers just fine. I use it almost exclusively with my nail guns and it's a great way to get portable nail guns without having to spend cordless nail gun money. I've bought all my nail guns second hand, so even with the relatively high cost of the compressor, I've still come out way ahead. Before I had my battery powered inflator, it also worked great for car and bicycle tires and other inflation needs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Bob Mundon posted:

I got scared off it after reading this review from another internet stranger. A rare miss from Ryobi

quote:

I bought one at $199 over the summer when I saw it on sale (clearance?), but decided to return it before using it. I realized it just wasn't the right tool for my needs. At $130, though...that's...dang, pretty compelling.

1: So, the overall construction is a bit "plastic-y" and flex-y. I've seen a number of reviews mention that, when cutting through very thick wood (like slabs), that a fully-extended blade would lead to some blade deflection...and a slab is one of the first things I'd want to use it with.

2: The track-holding clips on the saw seem to not be very reliable when cutting 45 degree bevels, and this is again something that I would be using this for quite often.

But most of all...

3: The tracks. The thing for which I'd be using it the most is cutting down sheet goods to fit into my car, and sometimes that will mean making 8ft long cuts. The saw only comes with a 2-piece* 55" track, so that would mean I'd have to spend more money to get a longer track. And here's where it really became clear that this wasn't the saw for me. Ryobi doesn't offer a longer track. And, it's not compatible with any other tracks. So that means I'd have to purchase additional Ryobi track sections, which they do sell, but still only in 27.5 x 2 = 55" packs. However, that would mean to cut a 96" sheet of plywood the long way, I'd need 4 track sections. The reason I put that "*" earlier was because it's not really a 2-piece track. The track itself is in two sections, but then to join them, you need two connector bars, and then each bar has 4 grub screws. So that "two piece" track is really 12 individual pieces. And once you add two more track sections, 4 more bars and the grub screws, you're up to 34 pieces. And in my mind, keeping track of (and trying to keep perfectly aligned) 34 pieces to make a single occasional 96" cut just did not seem like a lifestyle I'd want to rationalize and justify because of the cost savings.

So at $130, I could maybe justify it. And I've purchased a "blemished" lawnmower from DTO, and it may as well have been brand new, and has been trouble free for a year.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

YMMV, but to me, battery-powered track saws seem misguided. You want a vacuum hose to clean the cut out and to avoid dust. You might as well then get a corded tracksaw.

I have a battery Makita and I would trade it straight across for a corded one any day of the week.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 12, 2023

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've got a plug in Menards track saw (lol) and it's at least got the power to do the job, and it's pretty rough to use without a vacuum attachment, so it being corded is no problem. Whereas my cordless circular saw slows down hitting a a 2x4, so I wouldn't trust anything cordless to have enough power to do the job of a tracksaw.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I have the 2x18v cordless Makita track saw, its fine, you don't really need to make your cut in 1 go because the track makes the cut perfectly repeatable, and in fact for the best cut quality it may not be a good idea to anyways, which is my Makita and some other saws specifically have a set point for making a first pass scoring cut. Good luck making a good quality max depth cut through a table slab in one go, corded or not, YouTubers aren't showing the multiple passes they need to make because that'd be boring to watch.

It seems real odd Ryobi only make the tracks in 27.5'' sections, I thought that couldn't be right but a quick Google seems to agree, bizarre. For what its worth with my Makita I use 2x55'' tracks connected together for making long cuts even though they do make 110'' tracks, mostly so I could have the tracks shipped for much cheaper online than I could find them locally. It IS annoying joining them so I just leave them connected and mounted on a clear space of wall in my garage.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

the yeti posted:

Are those type saws any better than a separate track for a regular circ saw?

Track saws have nifty features like fancy plunge cutting, scoring cuts, splinter guards, excellent dust control, and most importantly: highly precise track systems. The circ saw tracks from Kreg and the like aren’t very good in my experience .. too much slop and no real advantage over a straight edge + clamps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Someone wanna recommend me a quality set of 1/4” drive bits including hex and torx?

By quality I mostly mean ‘not like the dewalt set I have where the flat and torx bits twist like a candy cane’

Use case is hobby and household but need to deal with gunked up and occasionally loctite’d fasteners.