Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I think they look ace. Down to taste, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You're in bad company though as my dad dislikes them, it's a hangover from when I was doing his place and he vetoed similar ones. So I just went and bought them when he wasn't there and installed them anyway.

Lmao nice.

Anyway nah I don't dislike them. I guess it just wasn't what I was expecting. They do look good now they're all up.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Its almost looking like this goon will finish his place before 100 pages which must be a record of some sort?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
massive 101 pages jaded burnout callout and I'm loving it. Yeah. I'll have this done in under a hundred easy

just like it will be finished before this xmas, also last xmas, also the xmas before that.... and possibly? also the xmas before that.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Will need a new thread for the interior decorating.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Hopefully there’ll be lots of L shaped furniture

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Rotten posted:

Hopefully there’ll be lots of L shaped furniture

I have an L-shaped couch it's pretty sick

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I've always wanted one

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Don't let your dreams be dreams

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

You don't need gutters you need a big umbrella.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Bigger eaves and a moat.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Sound. As for solar and conservation area that is a bit of a bitch, you have a hell of a lot of roof available to the sun but in roof solar I am guessing would have been a problem.

You could always put mill on side of that downpipe.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Low spots in gutters will accumulate trash, leaves, etc. and also silt up from dirt that washes down off the roof. They'll stay wet for days after the rain stops, too, and grow gross stuff in them. I do like the way they look, though.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

WhatEvil posted:

Source: Have worked as a joiner and window system designer in the UK for about 20 years, for a window/door/conservatory manufacturer.
You do meet the most interesting people on SA. (Not being ironic.)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Im putting the gutters on as close to level all around so the water can go wherever it fancies. Technically the corners are slightly lower than the end of the gutter runs as they sit, clipped in to a rubber sealed seat with the corner pieces. The union pieces are similarly rubber sealed.

Obviously I'm not following the instructions as they are for idiot babies, not big boy proper builders like me, but the instructions do happen to be in agreement with how i'm doing it. So I guess it'll all be fine.

I mean the water isn’t going against gravity, won’t an amount of water pool in the corner though?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Its almost looking like this goon will finish his place before 100 pages which must be a record of some sort?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

massive 101 pages jaded burnout callout and I'm loving it. Yeah. I'll have this done in under a hundred easy

I actually finished the house years ago but jeffry pays me one skittle per post to keep the site alive.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Failed Imagineer posted:

I have an L-shaped couch it's pretty sick

I'm desperately looking for an L-shaped couch that isn't a sectional and ideally does not have a useless sofa bed in it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

~Coxy posted:

I'm desperately looking for an L-shaped couch that isn't a sectional and ideally does not have a useless sofa bed in it.

Think ours was DFS. Green velvet. Good for napping

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

Low spots in gutters will accumulate trash, leaves, etc. and also silt up from dirt that washes down off the roof. They'll stay wet for days after the rain stops, too, and grow gross stuff in them. I do like the way they look, though.

I mean technically the way its supposed to work is that the gutter ends sit in a lower section of the corner piece so its all flush, but from the images it doesnt really look as though the rubber bit squishes enough to be perfectly flush like that.

Technology has a solution though!

Like the modern robot vacuum cleaners and lawn mowers, my parents have a robot that drives around in the pool all day with bristles to clean it.

Meet EL GutterBot

Solar powered, you just pop him in the gutter and leave him to it, he'll trundle from one end to the other and back again for eternity agitating any pools of wet and muck to swift their progress to a downpipe.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I mean technically the way its supposed to work is that the gutter ends sit in a lower section of the corner piece so its all flush, but from the images it doesnt really look as though the rubber bit squishes enough to be perfectly flush like that.

Technology has a solution though!

Like the modern robot vacuum cleaners and lawn mowers, my parents have a robot that drives around in the pool all day with bristles to clean it.

Meet EL GutterBot

Solar powered, you just pop him in the gutter and leave him to it, he'll trundle from one end to the other and back again for eternity agitating any pools of wet and muck to swift their progress to a downpipe.

I used one of these once. It made a terrible racket but it really hurled leaves out of the gutter. I suspect they stopped making it because for a labor saving device you still have to go up on a ladder and sit there and control it while it bangs away:
https://www.amazon.com/iRobot-330-Gutter-Cleaning-Robot/dp/B00A1590RS

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'll be honest, they look like renders and/or ai

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I'll be honest, they look like renders and/or ai

I don't think njan99 would disrespect the readers of his thread by posting a fake image of the solar-powered Groverhaus gutter robot. Those are definitely real photos of real products.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

I don't think njan99 would disrespect the readers of his thread by posting a fake image of the solar-powered Groverhaus gutter robot. Those are definitely real photos of real products.

I like that the AI gave the top left one a tiled roof, and can't quite get the solar panels right.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

~Coxy posted:

I have one from Bolia that I really like. Very customisable and no sofa bed. They're a little bit expensive but worth it imo

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

I have one from Bolia that I really like. Very customisable and no sofa bed. They're a little bit expensive but worth it imo

We were going to get a Bolia one, very nice but pricey as you said, but in the shop ended up getting one from sits.eu instead. Build quality feels great and was a touch cheaper. As a bonus they do them in every style and shape imaginable, the saleswoman said they get rebadged as some big German department stores own brand.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

right finally got all this done today. Was a bit ill.

moving along the front door elevation, needed to move the temporary light and camera as they're in the way of the gutter. The light has died after what a year? camera still works.

New floodlight style light, hopefully bettr than the temp one setup over the car parking area. I dunno if this is the right light. Anyway. Installed it upside down as I don't reckon tight under the gutters it needs the coil and upward entry to the gasketed input.

I dunno if it was me being ill or if my phone hosed up but siddenly I'm all the way round the back now and finished lol. To be fair you dont need to see all this poo poo. were at a complicated bit again.

smash it

out of focus

trust me thats plumb

to be honest i think if i'd paid someone, it'd get left like this. probably work a bit

oh god cutting this stuff is awful. so many swearwords and swivel eyed searching for things i can boot or smash at my peak anger moments. Fuckign horrible. It says you cant use a grinder or bog saw, only a hacksaw cos otherwise you'll gently caress up the super special coating it has on it. Trust me buddy when I've finished Guantanamo baying it with my hacksaw its pretty hosed up.

tada

look back up the bog back

serious loving wobble on where the roof trusses change over past the internal gable wall to the infill garage roof carpentry...

probably just gently caress it

cheeky upskirt

tight downpipe

And so back inside.

Everyhting is going moldy. great

hmmm. I think now two priority branches. Get cladding fireproofed and oiled for winter, but also get heatpump installed (also needs power properly sorted) so can avoid place turning into mould piss pit especially as need to progress interior.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

that's some smooth piping

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is the mold intentional.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah the mold is integral to the plan.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's load bearing mold.

Do you have a plan for Starlings getting in the awnings?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Do you have a plan for Starlings getting in the awnings?

is this code for something?

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I think they mean "how are you going to let the birds fly unhindered into your eaves, have babys and poop everywhere"?
I had a small spot in the chimney that they could fly in, but they were too dumb to fly out. so *hundreds* of them piled in behind the fireplace and died.
Luckily the contractor who replaced my fireplace had to deal with them, I saw them and noped out of that mess.

I also had a small gap between my roof and my gutters, and the rats would run along the gutters, then jump into my attic.
Hopefully you dont' have any way for anyone to get in that way.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

is this code for something?

This bit behind the gutters, where the beams lead into the roof under the tiles. I have also heard it referred to as the eaves or soffits (although I think soffits might be the name of the plastic things that cover the gap).

If you leave them open, birds love flying in them and nesting, and making an unholy racket. Rats also, if it's warmer in there. A rat would probably be able to jump from that fence to the gutter and get nice and comfy. Either species can properly gently caress up the roof plaster if their poo poo builds up.

Starlings are the worst because they're the loudest, they take 2 weeks to nest, they can have up to 3 broods a year and they have protected status in the UK so you can't disturb the nest until you're sure they've vacated it.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 16, 2023

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's load bearing mold.

aka lold

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This bit behind the gutters, where the beams lead into the roof under the tiles. I have also heard it referred to as the eaves or soffits (although I think soffits might be the name of the plastic things that cover the gap).

yeah the eaves are the general bit where the roof crosses the wall, the soffit is the horizontal piece of boxing you cover them with and the fascia is the vertical piece (that you usually attach guttering to)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
small woodfires in the middle of the room will drive out the damp & the smoke will sterilize the walls

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I mean the wall goes up between the rafter ends. There isn't a gap.

But the gutterbot is easily equipped with sonic bird scaring add-ons.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Was thinking alright it would be a bit of a knock to your airtightness rating if there was just massive holes in the side of your house

stoopiduk
Nov 11, 2021

Failed Imagineer posted:

Was thinking alright it would be a bit of a knock to your airtightness rating if there was just massive holes in the side of your house

I hope this leads to lots of goons filling in their eaves for airtightness.

This both is and is not code for something.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I believe they mean nesting in the actual eaves not that there's holes into the house there. I wouldn't be too concerned about it though.
Our old neighbourhood with mostly mid 19th-century housing had a pile of houses with wooden soffits. They inevitably rot and soften up a little and then the birds gouge holes in it and make themselves an excellent nest.

Without non-organic soffits it seems nests are inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
A couple of years ago we had a starling nest in our eaves, the chirping was cute and they didn't make too much mess so we left the gap open.

The next year an entire flock decided to overnight up there. It's blocked up now.