Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1723754293344207045

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
knob lick

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
But Ken Holland apparently still has a job. Because Oilers baby.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

McDavid's coach during his Erie Otters years. So we're effectively getting player-coach Connor McDavid.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Pungry posted:

McDavid's coach during his Erie Otters years. So we're effectively getting player-coach Connor McDavid.

oh are we continuing the kayfabe that this hasn't already been the case for years

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1723755385402638721?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Former Oilers are back baby

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Woodcroft didn't tell the goalies to stop more pucks. Will Knoblauch tell the goalies to stop more pucks?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Knoblauch has filled in a few times for the Rangers and was pretty good. I know he wasn’t great for Philly, but good for him.

E: Hartford really turned it around under him too.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I wouldn't hold his short time in Philly as an assistant against him. He was the least of their problems

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Nybble posted:

knob lick

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

shyduck posted:

He was the least of their problems

Ah, it's good that he has experience in the role he'll fill in Edmonton then.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
The oilers are back baby

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
time to put some money on a new jack adams candidate

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/frank_seravalli/status/1723762761732116539?s=20

quote:

Lots of people will say Kris Knoblauch lands in Edmonton because of Connor McDavid. But what is clear is #Oilers CEO Jeff Jackson has a big belief in Knoblauch.

As agent, many of Jackson’s clients played for Knoblauch: McDavid, Connor Brown, Alex DeBrincat, Taylor and Darren Raddysh, Travis Dermott and Ben Harpur.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Sports hockey journalism: “lots of people will say (what is apparently obvious) BUT ACKSHULLY

Kale
May 14, 2010

Somethings never change in Montreal being able to beat Boston no matter what direction the two teams are headed in otherwise. :3:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Mind_Taker posted:

Thank goodness he's on the final year of his deal and didn't just get signed to a mega-extension for the duration of his 30s

I was quick phone posting and MIs read the years, but that kind of made it better. Lol.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Kale posted:

Somethings never change in Montreal being able to beat Boston no matter what direction the two teams are headed in otherwise. :3:

They haven't beaten the Bruins in regulation since 2019

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
This team is a fuckin mess defensively, lets hire Paul Coffey

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Rangers are in that cushy space that only they can inhabit where they're 20th in the league in 5v5 xgoals but dominating the standings anyways

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
I thought Knoblauch was a baseball player?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I love McDavid getting his own guys in there. Haven't really seen that being a consistent thing since Mario would do it with the Pens. Sid is too much of a hockey robot to wield his power like that

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Ginette Reno posted:

The Rangers are in that cushy space that only they can inhabit where they're 20th in the league in 5v5 xgoals but dominating the standings anyways

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn-ZwI_jUfo

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1723538868421505314

*stares at the Devils running two lefties on the third pair*

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

My only guess on why Holland wasn't fired is he's not actually running anything.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/amandacstein/status/1723538868421505314

*stares at the Devils running two lefties on the third pair*

Aren't you forgetting a certain Colin Miller who looks ready to go for the next game?

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Mr. Kite posted:

I thought Knoblauch was a baseball player?

Chuck Knoblauch was a very talented just below Hall of Fame level 2nd baseman who played with the Twins and Yankees

Kris Knoblauch was drafted in the 7th round by the New York Islanders but never really advanced to playing professional hockey (he had one season in the CHL - the league below the ECHL) and is now the coach of the Edmonton Oilers.

It is amazing how all the most qualified people for these jobs in Edmonton happen to be people from Connor McDavid's past..

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Starsfan posted:

It is amazing how all the most qualified people for these jobs in Edmonton happen to be people from Connor McDavid's past..

Again, while theres a connection, imo Knoblauch has earned another shot at an NHL coaching job. He’s done pretty drat well with Hartford and filled in for Quinn a few years ago. It sucks that it’s for the Oilers clown show and if he was a Holland pick he’s probably a dead man walking but who knows.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Koopa Kid posted:

https://x.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1723747338777190457?s=20

I understand the optics of firing a guy after a win but ultimately the decision to can a coach should be a long time coming after a lot of deliberation so it shouldn’t matter what happened in the last game or whatever

Leave Woodcroft in Seattle, take Hakstol with you, everyone wins.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
RIP Roman Cechmanek

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/former-philadelphia-flyers-goalie-roman-cechmanek-has-passed-away/

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

Aren't you forgetting a certain Colin Miller who looks ready to go for the next game?

I liked that trade when it happened but man what a train wreck of a start he has had, even before the injury getting beat out by Brendan Smith on his wrong side lol

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Matt Zerella posted:

Again, while theres a connection, imo Knoblauch has earned another shot at an NHL coaching job. He’s done pretty drat well with Hartford and filled in for Quinn a few years ago. It sucks that it’s for the Oilers clown show and if he was a Holland pick he’s probably a dead man walking but who knows.

he has a record of 119-122 in the AHL (yes 30 of those losses are in the OT / shootout, but still he's won less than half his games)

It's not the typical record of performance that demands a chance at the NHL, but it may be that the Hartford Wolf Pack are typically a tire fire and a .500 record is unusually good for them for all I know..

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Starsfan posted:

he has a record of 119-122 in the AHL (yes 30 of those losses are in the OT / shootout, but still he's won less than half his games)

It's not the typical record of performance that demands a chance at the NHL, but it may be that the Hartford Wolf Pack are typically a tire fire and a .500 record is unusually good for them for all I know..

The Wolfpack were a train wreck before Drury put him in place there.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Whoa what the gently caress, that's really sad :(

Wonder what it was at just 52?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/WheatNOil/status/1723794221432238376

This wass first thought as well. I don't think Holland is in charge anymore but they'll let him retire vs firing him.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Lmao this Oilers press conference. Coffey doesn't wanna coach but will. Holland clearly didn't make this decision but has to answer questions. Jeff Jackson answering as well.

Just fire Holland Jesus Christ

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

He was the one with the absurdly large shoulder pads, right? Didn't he have some weird legal issues a while ago? Either way, rip it down.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Yeah Knoblauch has gotten nothing but praise in the NYR organization. Good for him, good luck with the shitshow!

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
i dont know if it's actually gonna happen but there's a lot of chatter in buffalo that patrick kane is in town right now and is negotiating a contract. local bloggers and reporters alike both hinting at something possibly happening soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

whatis posted:

i dont know if it's actually gonna happen but there's a lot of chatter in buffalo that patrick kane is in town right now and is negotiating a contract. local bloggers and reporters alike both hinting at something possibly happening soon

God I hope so.