Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

whatis posted:

i dont know if it's actually gonna happen but there's a lot of chatter in buffalo that patrick kane is in town right now and is negotiating a contract. local bloggers and reporters alike both hinting at something possibly happening soon

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kane has been cooked for the last 2-3 years, what the hell Buffalo? I thought you wanted to get better not worse.

Also he is a terrible human being.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I'll wait until the contract is actually signed to make with the LOLs. An unemployed person being sighted in his hometown doesn't seem phenomenally noteworthy on its own.

Mid-Life Crisis
Jun 13, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Buffalo is going to give Kane top dollar for two years and be forced to trade prospects for another over the hill. 🫡🤮

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Buffalo *crushes beer*
I'm coming for ya *assaults taxi driver*

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY

Furnaceface posted:

Kane has been cooked for the last 2-3 years
He had 92 pts in 78 games in 21/22. Last year was a drop for him (57 in 73).

I'm surprised he's only 35. I thought he was in his late-30s what with this talk of retirement. With his size and skill, he should play till 40.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cocaine Bear posted:

He was the one with the absurdly large shoulder pads, right? Didn't he have some weird legal issues a while ago? Either way, rip it down.

I thought that was Garth Snow ?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mr. Kite posted:

I'm surprised he's only 35. I thought he was in his late-30s what with this talk of retirement. With his size and skill, he should play till 40.

Didn’t he get his hips resurfaced in the off-season like Backstrom?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

I thought that was Garth Snow ?

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing, I remember reading how coaches and players were shouting from the bench at the officials at just how loving ridiculous he looked with those massive pads

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Cocaine Bear posted:

He was the one with the absurdly large shoulder pads, right? Didn't he have some weird legal issues a while ago? Either way, rip it down.

Big shoulder pads was Snow. But yeah, he was facing prison time in Czechia for financial crimes.
https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/former-flyers-goalie-roman-cechmanek-facing-10-years-in-prison

RIP

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
McDavid is hiring coaches now... I love it!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I hope he stays in Edmonton hockey purgatory the rest of his career.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Misanthrope posted:

McDavid is hiring coaches now... I love it!

everyone was asking for mcdavid to stop being a hockey robot and be more interesting like nba players

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
https://twitter.com/itsWozzz/status/1723826455535325366

uh huh... they seem kind of confused and didn't take the time to get their stories straight lol

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Cocaine Bear posted:

That may have been Roman Turek? He was around at the same time and i remember him having larger gear

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Snow was the goalie with big shoulder pads.
https://nypost.com/2003/03/21/sather-catches-cheater-snow/

He pushed the limits with other parts of his gear too. Thigh rises like these are illegal now.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

https://twitter.com/itsWozzz/status/1723826455535325366

uh huh... they seem kind of confused and didn't take the time to get their stories straight lol

It's been increasingly clear since Jackson was hired that Holland isn't in charge but they don't wanna fire him cause???

I mean he's not fired before he retires I guess but this seems even more embarrassing.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJrkOWem9RU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
It's been a long wait. But folks, Alexis Lafreniere has arrived.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

This performance tonight feels pivotal. Pretty please :ohdear:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Lafreniere is wonderful. Playing amazing right now. Merzlikins had a hell of a game. Rangers off for six days so hopefully Chytil and Igor are back. Not sure if Fox is eligible yet. Although Lindgren may now have gotten hurt by a good hit from Kuraly.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

whatis posted:

i dont know if it's actually gonna happen but there's a lot of chatter in buffalo that patrick kane is in town right now and is negotiating a contract. local bloggers and reporters alike both hinting at something possibly happening soon

people of Buffalo: hide your kids, hide your wife, and hide your husband

edit: also hide your cabbies

Escape Goat fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 13, 2023

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Bizarre reffing aside, CBJ does seem to have the Rangers number and it’s gonna be a fun series between them.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I wanted Tex's fire poker shot to work again, dammit.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Lafreniere is wonderful. Playing amazing right now. Merzlikins had a hell of a game. Rangers off for six days so hopefully Chytil and Igor are back. Not sure if Fox is eligible yet. Although Lindgren may now have gotten hurt by a good hit from Kuraly.

Columbus has vastly better goaltending this season between Elvis and Martin, they just need to figure out how to close out games.

And get Johnny off the schnide.

And maybe a new coach and GM, probably too much to ask.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Mr. Kite posted:

As someone mentioned, his hip was hosed up all last year and slowed him down and he had the hip resurfacing surgery that Backstrom and Kesler had and were unable to come back from and skate at a NHL level.

It's very unlikely he's going to come back and be able to get around the ice at a NHL pace. The injury and surgery specifically have been why people have mentioned retirement. I don't know why the hockey media keeps glossing over it like it's NBD. We literally just saw Backstrom throw in the towel because he was terrible and could no longer skate at a NHL level after recovering from the same surgery.

Re: Garth Snow, I'm pretty sure he was also the goalie that rigged his shoulder pads to have panels that popped up from the top of his shoulders when he went down in the butterfly.

Matt Zerella posted:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1723900982243872935

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

All signs point to Igor being ready to go but they didn’t want to rush him back before a bye week. I believe Fox isn’t eligible till 11/29. It’s been radio silence on Chytil which is getting concerning, honestly I think he is the last one back.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

WeaponX posted:

All signs point to Igor being ready to go but they didn’t want to rush him back before a bye week. I believe Fox isn’t eligible till 11/29. It’s been radio silence on Chytil which is getting concerning, honestly I think he is the last one back.

Chytil was put on IR so technically could be sooner but also it was probably a concussion so IR was likely a "well he could recover sooner but who knows, if he's not ready after this break then retroactive LTIR him"

Now Lindgren apparently has a concussion off a cheap hit as well? lovely

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sam Gagner had hip resurfacing as well and a scored 2 goals in his first game back (and not much since)

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Ginette Reno posted:

The Rangers are in that cushy space that only they can inhabit where they're 20th in the league in 5v5 xgoals but dominating the standings anyways

It's a good thing that they don't award points in the standings for "5v5 xgoals" then, init?

In all seriousness, power plays are things that happen quite regularly, and there's no statistical rule that says teams will have an equal number of penalties committed against them? Having a top 5 goaltender is going to help your penalty kill percentage too, so the Rangers are likely benefitting there as well. Not sure what your point is.

Levitate posted:

Chytil was put on IR so technically could be sooner but also it was probably a concussion so IR was likely a "well he could recover sooner but who knows, if he's not ready after this break then retroactive LTIR him"

Now Lindgren apparently has a concussion off a cheap hit as well? lovely

Cheap hit after the puck was gone; Kuraly led with his elbow and hit high. Of course it was reviewed down from a 5 to a 2 but we may see supplemental discipline for this. Refs were all over the place. The disallowed goal made zero sense as well as the Trouba call in the first, roughing after two Jackets decided to start a very polite chat after Trouba had made a good hit.

Dunno what the point of the situation room is if these are the results.

Great win though. LaF is my favorite of this next group of Rangers. Not having an AHL season and playing 3rd line minutes for 3 years really hurt his development, but great to see how he is progressing in a full-time top six role this season.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

How good is that Kaapo Kakko though, eh?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

The Rangers are in that cushy space that only they can inhabit where they're 20th in the league in 5v5 xgoals but dominating the standings anyways

Which probably means they have the best special teams in the league, right? Let's check... yep, sure enough, they do. 2nd on the PP, 6th on the PK. Only other teams top 10 in both are Lightning and VGK (and VGK are 10th/9th).

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I think their expected goals for 5v5 is actually pretty good this year though (at least if you take out the 4th line that constantly got it’s poo poo kicked in)
Basically their top 3 lines have generated chances and generally done fine defensively but haven’t scored at the expected rate

E: to be clear though I haven’t checked the stats lately

Levitate fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 13, 2023

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
poor Sharks

https://twitter.com/anaheimducks/status/1723902123778486280?s=46&t=M1v0104mu8Y4ldpII8R_rQ

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao at the goalie frozen in shock like the gently caress was that?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Not the same thing but reminds me of a time in minor hockey our goalie poke checked at a puck shot on the ice and it perfectly popped over his shoulder into the net.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Precambrian Video Games posted:

How good is that Kaapo Kakko though, eh?

he’s been very good at 5v5 this year, visually he looks great. defensively he’s a beast and is currently doing yeoman’s work with Bonino and Cuylle on the third line. he needs more offensive confidence but I wouldn’t be surprised if he puts a nice stretch of scoring together. i feel like he’s been unlucky because he’s often the guy making the good defensive play and pushing the puck up to his linemates in the defensive zone. then with Lavi’s system the defenseman jumps up while he covers and takes the points.

i’ve been saying it, but I hope we can get him on a Kotkaniemi-like deal. he’s a perfect complement to like any two other skill guys, and he’ll be cheap for his value.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
RAS pretty hyped for *checks notes* a narrow shootout victory over Columbus

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Yeah, I think it would be really interesting to play Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko for a while if Trocheck can stay hot with Panarin and Lafreniere. Tons of speed from those three and Cuylle can mix things up with the best of them, which seems to be the two elements you want from a third line in today's NHL.

Wheeler has looked quite a lot smoother in his skating the last week or so; he may be able to keep up with Zabanejad and Kreider for 5v5 shifts, though maybe right now that group is closer to 17-18 minutes/game with the Panarin line closer to 20 the way they are playing.

Ah well, off to the mini-bye week with no game until Saturday night in NJ (I'm excited already). Hopefully some injured folks bounce back for that one.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Chad Sexington posted:

RAS pretty hyped for *checks notes* a narrow shootout victory over Columbus

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
https://theathletic.com/5056816/2023/11/13/jaromir-jagr-hockey-hall-of-fame/?source=user_shared_article Jaromir Jagr, the Hockey Hall of Fame and an impasse with no end in sight

“I don’t really remember how it went down. I just remember one day Jags was gone,” said defenseman Mark Giordano, a Flames teammate at the time and now the NHL’s oldest skater at age 40.”

“He was in great shape. I remember his legs and rear end. He’s a monster, man, just a big human being. Impossible to move off the puck. Like when he gets planted, impossible to move.”