Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rye Bread
Nov 8, 2005
:razz:
Volume 2 felt like a deranged Doctor Who special to me.

1. Space and time coming apart, merging locations everywhere
2. A place with a name that could be the episode title (The Inevitable City)
3. An all-powerful cosmic force being stopped by a riveting speech by an immortal
4. Most twists being walked back shortly after introduction
5. Time loop that must be completed for #3 to occur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I think there's definitely multiple ways book 3 can pan out.

Big E juices up and gets stabbed by Oli for his trouble.

Big E wins but with Horus dead the default option is him ascending anyway because all that power Horus channeled has to go somewhere. This will only happen when E actually dies since this puts his soul back in the warp so he's interred on the throne to prevent this (the current canon ending).

My personal theory is that Malcador never left the throne and he's the one they've been feeding psykers for ten thousand years and doing all the crazy divinity poo poo that's been attributed to the Emperor. This can take multiple forms imo.

One is that the Emperor is still stuck in the final battle with Horus in the moment of un-time. The galaxy has moved on but that moment is eternally locked with no conclusion and that is the great sacrifice the Emperor has made, he's fighting an eternal battle for humanity's soul and it ties neatly into the current beliefs of the imperial church. This can further be extrapolated on with with the Bequin trilogy where we know Valdor is doing something in the warp/pocket universe that involves a great battle outside the galaxy. If this is the truth then the star child has reincarnated independently of the Emperor and become its own person.

The other is that the Emperor actually did die. He saw what Sanguinius had done and was able to do and did the same thing and has spent the last 10k years piecing himself together to be reborn thanks to his perpetual nature.

That Malcador one would be fun but Dawn of Fire and Dark Imperium make it pretty unlikely

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Rye Bread posted:

Volume 2 felt like a deranged Doctor Who special to me.

1. Space and time coming apart, merging locations everywhere
2. A place with a name that could be the episode title (The Inevitable City)
3. An all-powerful cosmic force being stopped by a riveting speech by an immortal
4. Most twists being walked back shortly after introduction
5. Time loop that must be completed for #3 to occur

Yeah, it rules.

I'm really hoping that Part 3 does end with The Emperor, post-Horus, about to pop into The Dark King despite trying to reject it in vol 2. Then the bits of himself that he's expunged, his compassion and whatnot, is in fact the catalyzing Star Child showing up in the Dawn of Fire stuff, and we'll get two God-Emperors, one of Ruin and one of Compassion.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Inspector_666 posted:

You're gonna talk about Fulgrim's nipples when this exists?!

https://twitter.com/VoiceOfKosh/status/1723710279702196544?s=20

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I got a special offer for 3 months of audioable for £3 pm.

Got end and a death pt1. Why do I not listen to all my Warhams? Reading it is a slog but the audio is the perfect format. I should have learnt this lesson from the regents shadow series where i listened to the first and read the second.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
This, the poster was showing them - The End and The Death Volume III, the goons, the shitposts - this will be. The End and The Death Volume III will be released, like so. We will be here. These are the shitposts and :five:s we will carry. This - as the poster reminds them to use spoiler tags - is how we will avoid spoiling the people who haven't read it yet. This will happen. The book will not get delayed, for here, see? It is already released.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/12/sunday-preview-war-on-an-epic-scale-in-the-age-of-darkness/

You want new books? Of course ya do!

A bunch of releases coming up for pre-order next weekend.

First up we have the chance of maybe getting a really good Dawn of Fire book, with Chris Wraigth's Sea of Souls, featuring Admiral Eddie Murphy.

Also available in the usual LE version, available in about 1200 copies I assume. But none mentioned.

Then on the AoS side there's Temple of Silence by Richard Strachan.

Then Hammers of Sigmar: First Forged, also by Richard Strachan, and The Last Volari by Gary Kloster are getting paperback versions.

Lastly, the first three Ciaphas Cain novels; For The Emperor, Caves of Ice, and The Traitor’s Hand are going to be available as Print on Demand between... some dates that aren't specified. :shrug:

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
EatD 2 spoilers.

The good:
- Dorn lecturing Khorne. Bonus points for Dorn's amusement at Khorne's frustrations.
- Horus setting temptations for all four groups assaulting the Vengeful Spirit, and the Emperor being the only one who falls into the trap. Also maybe I'm reading into this too much, but it feels like Horus picked the wrong ones for each person. Constantin gets rapid change when he's built to resist that, Dorn gets giving into bloodlust which he's built to resist, Sanguinius gets decay which has never been a problem for him.
- The Emperor burning out the Custodians.
- The scene with Erebus getting beaten up by a servitor with a box.
- Ollanius calling out the Emperor for being an impatient idiot.

The bad:
- It's hard to judge the Sanguinius fight on its own without the Emperor's fight, but I was expecting a bit more than what we got. Either Sanguinius succumbing to the Blood Rage and still failing (grimdark), or the four gods offering Sanguinius the chance to become their champion and him rejecting them. It wasn't bad, but still felt less than it could have been. The line about Horus using the eighth dimension to win was pretty great though.
- The fakeout death scenes are getting irritating. Thane's death-not-death in particular.
- The lack of time or space and breakdown in everything is well written, but it also removes the reader's investment. If there are no borders or boundaries to defend or attack, nothing matters.

Here's hoping that Abnett sticks the landing in part 3.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

quote:

:words: : Sanguinius succumbing to the Black Rage

Let's Talk About THAT Sanguinius Theory - 40K Theories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxKMm96NgG0

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I am going to be miffed, trending on irked, if this is how the Dark King plot line resolves. I actually loved the idea of the Dark King; it made a lot of things snap into place and make sense, like why the Chaos gods went to all this trouble in the first place, why the Emperor so obsessively hid the truth about the Warp from even His closest associates, and so on. It was an incredibly well laid trap, and it really does feel like the kind of cosmic gambit Chaos could pull off. And then it’s foiled by Some Guy going “no, Emperor, don’t become the Dark King!” And the Emperor says “you know what, you’re right. I won’t become the Dark King.”

I'd be REALLY surprised if that's the end of it, given how much of the previous book's page count was accounts of how the Emperor never changes his mind, listens to reason, and always considers only himself forever correct. Erda, Malcador, and Oll each made big points of it.

This would be the first time in his millennia of life that he took anyone's advice, and would represent a huge character development if it's true.

I think he only learned that the black lightning sphere and undead entourage aren't the best look. He's saying "This intervention was a success, I'm through with heroin Dark King!" and then immediately dismissed anyone who could hold him accountable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The book makes the point that it’s different this time because he has the perspective of a god and can actually see he’s loving up rather than those before times when he was all too human

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I mean, it seems like he's really divesting himself of a whole lot of warp juice. You see that in the reaction of the daemons and Erebus. But I'd be very surprised if we've seen the last of the Dark King issue.

On a potentially related note, how the hell can Erebus basically only need a couple hundred years to pull off a masterful scheme to make Chaos ascendant and then spend the next 10000 years doing jack poo poo except squabbling with Kor Phaeron for influence over the remaining Word Bearers?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

euphronius posted:

The book makes the point that it’s different this time because he has the perspective of a god and can actually see he’s loving up rather than those before times when he was all too human

Ah poo poo, yeah I forgot about that.

Huh.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

habeasdorkus posted:

I mean, it seems like he's really divesting himself of a whole lot of warp juice. You see that in the reaction of the daemons and Erebus. But I'd be very surprised if we've seen the last of the Dark King issue.

On a potentially related note, how the hell can Erebus basically only need a couple hundred years to pull off a masterful scheme to make Chaos ascendant and then spend the next 10000 years doing jack poo poo except squabbling with Kor Phaeron for influence over the remaining Word Bearers?

Because he didn't do anything but be a useful pawn in the right places at the right times, that's kinda the thing with serving Chaos.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

habeasdorkus posted:

Box drunk.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Demiurge4 posted:

The other is that the Emperor actually did die. He saw what Sanguinius had done and was able to do and did the same thing and has spent the last 10k years piecing himself together to be reborn thanks to his perpetual nature.

Can you unpack what you mean by “ He saw what Sanguinius had done and was able to do and did the same thing ”? Because unless I missed something what Sanguinius did was find his way to Horus and fight him, nothing else super special. Did I miss some crucial bit of lore because I didn’t have larger lore context?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

habeasdorkus posted:

Sextro posted:

Because he didn't do anything but be a useful pawn in the right places at the right times, that's kinda the thing with serving Chaos.

This and also he is a ruthless narcissist but also also really stupid. Pinnacle stupid rear end in a top hat who thinks himself the right hand of the dark gods but is just getting played with like the game he liked to play torturing scorpions in the desert as a child.

euphronius posted:

Ah, all those other times I was like those mere mortals succumbing to hubris and punished by the gods. I'm better than that now and perhaps even better than the gods!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Grilled Beef posted:

Can you unpack what you mean by “ He saw what Sanguinius had done and was able to do and did the same thing ”? Because unless I missed something what Sanguinius did was find his way to Horus and fight him, nothing else super special. Did I miss some crucial bit of lore because I didn’t have larger lore context?

I’m basing this off current canon which is that Sanguinius sacrificed himself to wound Horus so the Emperor could win. Sanguinius made a choice to die because he’s seen some fragment of the future where his death ensures the potential of defeating Horus because by dying there is no future where Horus kills him. In this way the Emperor has the potential to make the same sacrifice by locking this moment of un-time in perpetuity and preventing Horus from progressing to his final apotheosis.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

place is looking a fuckin proscribed tractara in an inquisitorial fortress

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Isn't blackstone's thing that it's immune to warp fuckery? I can't figure out why there's a jail made out of the stuff.

Feels like that should be important later though.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

habeasdorkus posted:

He spends the next 10,000 years in the Warp, dealing with his traumatic brain injury, courtesy of being utterly owned by an agri-servitor with a box and then immediately afterward having a gigantic wall dropped on his head. Man is in no shape to scheme after that.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Broken Record Talk posted:

He spends the next 10,000 years in the Warp, dealing with his traumatic brain injury, courtesy of being utterly owned by an agri-servitor with a box and then immediately afterward having a gigantic wall dropped on his head. Man is in no shape to scheme after that.

Honestly this would work for me. Dude's gonna have a cerebral hematoma that catches up to him while he's mocking Abbadon for being a nerd during their fight with Valdor and the ensuing stroke is gonna have him re-learning how to piss and poo poo for millennia inside the Warp.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

moths posted:

Isn't blackstone's thing that it's immune to warp fuckery? I can't figure out why there's a jail made out of the stuff.

Blackstone is physical matter that interacts with the warp. Usually it smooths it out and damps anything that's trying to come through from the other side, which is what it was created for during the War in Heaven, but it can be made to stir it up and amplify warp incursions in the wrong hands.

The Blackstone Fortresses are gigantic system killing warp based weapons, for example.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

moths posted:

Build a jail out of it so you can hold psykers there

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

Cheers for the thread suggestions. Have got into Warhammer this year, and am 2/3rds through the Eisenhorn trilogy.

A good book to listen whilst working.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Someone remind me of the non-bad youtube 40k universe channels? Lore mostly but I'm not opposed to tabletoppers or even painting if the videos are fun.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
First two that come to mind are 40k Theories and Woof Lord Rho. There are a few others I’ll edit in or post later if I can.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Vaults of Terra used to be a decent channel years back. I think Luetin and Chapter Master Valrak are supposed to be okay.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

sharknado slashfic posted:

Someone remind me of the non-bad youtube 40k universe channels? Lore mostly but I'm not opposed to tabletoppers or even painting if the videos are fun.

Luetin, Occulus Imperia and Arbitor Ian are good starts.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has anyone tried to explain the way Las weaponry actually works or am I better off shrugging and saying "dark age of technology super science"

Trying to figure out how weapons that have no kinetic impact like a lascannon can cause tanks to explode.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s DAOT tech.

Specifically the battery packs

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Arc Hammer posted:

Trying to figure out how weapons that have no kinetic impact like a lascannon can cause tanks to explode.

I don't think that's all that weird - if you dump enough energy into an object fast enough it will go boom, and the type of energy doesn't matter all that much, it's going to turn into heat one way or another.

Current day laser weapons already make small metal objects explode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyUh_xSjvXQ

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Tanks are also famously full of explosives.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

It really is the powercells that are magic, you can charge the things over a campfire even!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The magic of them is as mentioned you can charge them with like microwave background radiation

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Add enough heat to anything in an enclosed space and it will eventually explode, especially when it's an eclosed space that is partially full of literal explosives.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fair enough. If the Imperium decided to use Las power cells for anything other than ammunition it would probably be a wonder source of cheap energy. But then again, Imperium.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The Imperium already produces incredible amounts of energy with its various industrial furnaces. It just all gets allotted to bitcoin the machine spirits.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Yeah uh that's just the tank cooking off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Luetin, Occulus Imperia and Arbitor Ian are good starts.

These three are a really solid start for lore channels. Ian has a nice, solid down to earth take on everything. I particularly like the book club series he had going with Myra Mange (see does 40k author interviews on her own channel, check those out too). Oculus has the conceit that he's one of Guilliman's historitors and he's recording history in-universe. I love his vocal style. So relaxing. He's going through 40K backstory starting with the consolidation wars on Terra and is up to the Betrayal at Calth.

Luetin gets high as gently caress and writes six-hour scripts about the nature of the emperor. He also puts out some pretty tight videos on specific topics, but yeah, sometimes he just gets high and writes scripts. This is a plus in my book, too many people take 40K too seriously.