Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

"these so-called Aiel" is unequivocal in its interpretation. I think that exact phrase is used one other time, by some other forsaken. Why would Taim qua Taim ever say that phrase? It requires knowledge both of the old tongue and knowing what the Aiel used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

"these so-called Aiel" is unequivocal in its interpretation. I think that exact phrase is used one other time, by some other forsaken. Why would Taim qua Taim ever say that phrase? It requires knowledge both of the old tongue and knowing what the Aiel used to be.

Then you also have Dashiva just walking around talking to himself in the old tongue with his cover story being a farmer and Rand has no clue.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

CainFortea posted:

Then you also have Dashiva just walking around talking to himself in the old tongue with his cover story being a farmer and Rand has no clue.

To be fair, Mat does the same thing and everyone thinks Dashiva is half insane already, including Taim.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Dashiva's death scene is the absolute funniest in the series and based on that its hard to say Rand was wrong to completely discount him.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

silvergoose posted:

The exact words are hilarious.

"began to skulk from tree to tree in what he imagined was a stealthy manner"

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Getting close to the end of The Great Hunt, and I always forget how late in the book he starts the Egwene plot on earnest. The 77% mark.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Zore posted:

Dashiva's death scene is the absolute funniest in the series and based on that its hard to say Rand was wrong to completely discount him.

It's tight between him and Be'lal showing up on page once and getting immediately balefired by a "so called Aes Sedai" according to the Forsaken

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

81sidewinder posted:

Just finished my first read, mostly loved it. What is everyone's thoughts on Taimandred? Did RJ really change the story because his message boards figured out his twist? lmao

Taim, Logain and Rand not really ever having a big moment together is probably my biggest bitch about the story, and Demandred being the Big Bad in AMoL felt a little out of left field. Seems like Taim being Demandred would have made some of this make a lot more sense.

yeah he changed it, and for that reason

there was some literary evidence about it too

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I just finished Winters Heart on my reread. The battle near Shadar Logoth is so funny. All these "super powerful" Forsaken showing up and getting dunked on. Demandred pops in, hee hee I'm gonna getcha Lews Therin OH NO! They all just are constantly getting hosed, and as usual the only remotely capable one is ya girl Graendal (whom I have fanciest as Jane Krakowski).

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Robert Jordan’s Waste of Time [BOOK SPOILERS] would have made some of this make more sense. He changed it, and for that reason.

Do we ever find out where the sea folk build their ships?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Anias posted:

Tremalking.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Anias posted:

Robert Jordan’s Waste of Time [BOOK SPOILERS] would have made some of this make more sense. He changed it, and for that reason.

I would assume on their islands.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Up their sleevies

wait

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

in the sea

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Data Graham posted:

Up their sleevies

wait

Idiot, sea folk don't wear sleevies (or shirts even!)

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Devorum posted:

I would assume on their islands.

Jedit posted:

Tremalking.

Thanks for the obvious answer, I suppose I should have added did the text ever expand on that with a descriptive passage of the shipyards or similar?

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

81sidewinder posted:

Just finished my first read, mostly loved it. What is everyone's thoughts on Taimandred? Did RJ really change the story because his message boards figured out his twist? lmao
There's quite a lot of hints about Taim = Demandred, including the Aiel line mentioned before, but also there is an actual note from Jordan's own note library that Sanderson (or someone?) found that explicitly says that yes, he's Demandred.

But, but - but. I don't think that means that much because Jordan unfortunately passed away before he could finish his books. That note could have been written very early in the process, before he internally commited to any real answer. I write stuff for my own amusement and I sure as hell have a lot of random notes about all sorts of poo poo that doesn't make sense for the most recent draft of the thing. If you want to think about authorial intent the only thing that matters is what Jordan would have written into the books he never got to write, and we're all guessing about that.

There's no good answer because we didn't get the actual book by the same writer. Sanderson did a really good job though and for one I loving love Demandred / Bao the Wyld.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm fairly confident it wasn't Sanderson that decided Taim was not Demandred, regardless of the original intent

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, as much as I think Sanderson is an idiot goober sometimes, everything he and Team Jordan have said about him finishing the series is that he wanted to maintain as much of what Jordan put into it as possible.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Nihilarian posted:

I'm fairly confident it wasn't Sanderson that decided Taim was not Demandred, regardless of the original intent

Yeah I agree, it was Winter's Heart where Kisman had Taim and then Demandred tell him to kill Rand, and Demandred even told him not to tell Taim. That was the nail in the coffin for me.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Jordan also explicitly denied Taim was Demandred around Winter's Heart's release. The only thing the note really confirms is that he changed his plans over the course of writing the novels which isn't exactly shocking.

His explicit quote before the release of Winter's Heart was that "We have not seen Demandred appear in disguise in the series yet." so it was decided well before his death or Sanderson's run.

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 15, 2023

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Zore posted:

Jordan also explicitly denied Taim was Demandred around Winter's Heart's release. The only thing the note really confirms is that he changed his plans over the course of writing the novels which isn't exactly shocking.

His explicit quote before the release of Winter's Heart was that "We have not seen Demandred appear in disguise in the series yet." so it was decided well before his death or Sanderson's run.
That's really interesting and something I've not heard before.

Related, but I do think along with the Elayne and Faile plotlines the Black Tower plot was Jordan's biggest whiff. It's just a bit absurd how no one pays too much attention to these hundreds of male channelers gathering, and Rand himself just sort of forgets about them like they were the Iron Fleet.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

JOHN SKELETON posted:

That's really interesting and something I've not heard before.

Related, but I do think along with the Elayne and Faile plotlines the Black Tower plot was Jordan's biggest whiff. It's just a bit absurd how no one pays too much attention to these hundreds of male channelers gathering, and Rand himself just sort of forgets about them like they were the Iron Fleet.

Yeah I went and dug back through the Theoryland arguments about Taimandred which was the second most common topic there for like 2 decades after 'who killed Asmodean' :v Lots of archive links to old Jordan interviews and such.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Zore posted:

That, plus Demandred had no clue who Damer was, and if he was Taim he would have known.

FWIW the guy who said he “Found it in the files” was the biggest “TAIM IS DEMANDRED” person on dragonmount/theoryland so I take it with an inkling of salt. Certainly a possibility early on, but it also could be the early note was from before Taim even showed up and Jordan had since changed his mind.

E: Roedran showing up at Merrill’s in AMoL and Rand going “Huh, I thought it was you” was Sanderson including his own theory/a popular fan theory into the story. Demandred essentially doing what Rand was doing in the Westlands but in the far larger Shara actually works super well (since he is hyper competent and “Could have been the dragon” back in the Age of Legends) and Shara gets enough mentions for them showing up at the last battle a super fun surprise.

RembrandtQEinstein fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 15, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I personally like the idea that Rand was such an rear end in a top hat to Taim that he singlehandedly turned him into a darkfriend.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Anias posted:

Thanks for the obvious answer, I suppose I should have added did the text ever expand on that with a descriptive passage of the shipyards or similar?

The only real description we get of the islands is when those people on Tremalking commit mass suicide because the Choedan Kal starts glowing during the Cleansing.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Devorum posted:

The only real description we get of the islands is when those people on Tremalking commit mass suicide because the Choedan Kal starts glowing during the Cleansing.

To Make An Anchor Weep :smith:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pleads posted:

To Make An Anchor Weep :smith:

I really like the prose in that chapter. Just the way the grief is portrayed, both in and out of the wavemistress' head.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Demandred essentially doing what Rand was doing in the Westlands but in the far larger Shara actually works super well (since he is hyper competent and “Could have been the dragon” back in the Age of Legends) and Shara gets enough mentions for them showing up at the last battle a super fun surprise.

It’s fun to translate the Randland experience into our geography. You know America/Seanchan wouldn’t give a drat if a world ending threat was dealt with overseas because if it’s not on American soil it didn’t happen.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Democratic Pirate posted:

It’s fun to translate the Randland experience into our geography. You know America/Seanchan wouldn’t give a drat if a world ending threat was dealt with overseas because if it’s not on American soil it didn’t happen.

Unless that overseas location had an exploitable natural resource, like oil or marath'damane

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

NeurosisHead posted:

Unless that overseas location had an exploitable natural resource, like oil or marath'damane

fuuuuuuck

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

RIP Ingtar, you deserved better than the show gave you.

On to book 3, excited to see Mat whomp some nobles.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

silvergoose posted:

I really like the prose in that chapter. Just the way the grief is portrayed, both in and out of the wavemistress' head.

Yeah. It was worth the reread.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well it took until 25% of the way through The Shadow Rising in her readalong, but my mother finally said to me today "You know, I think the books are way better than the show. Who thought trying to adapt this thing into a TV show as a good idea?" :newlol:

The journey is complete. (Still still loves the poo poo out of the show, FYI)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

pik_d posted:

It's tight between him and Be'lal showing up on page once and getting immediately balefired by a "so called Aes Sedai" according to the Forsaken

Be'lal getting chumped gets funnier each reread

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everything popping off at the Tower near the end of Towers of Midnight is everything I like about this series Jesus christ

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Be'lal getting chumped gets funnier each reread

"Remember when we took the tame sport called Swords and learned to kill with it?"
"PARRY THIS YOU loving CASUAL"

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

nine-gear crow posted:

Well it took until 25% of the way through The Shadow Rising in her readalong, but my mother finally said to me today "You know, I think the books are way better than the show. Who thought trying to adapt this thing into a TV show as a good idea?" :newlol:

The journey is complete. (Still still loves the poo poo out of the show, FYI)

We need UBI so some inspired animator doesn't need their lovely 9-5 and can focus on adapting WoT into a thousand-episode anime, the way it was intended.

The more I read Brandon Sanderson the more I see how hard he tries to get those superhero/anime hero action tropes into his combats (Stormlight especially) compared to RJ's writing which somehow converts the simple name of sword forms into a flowing and evocative duel scene.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Pleads posted:

We need UBI so some inspired animator doesn't need their lovely 9-5 and can focus on adapting WoT into a thousand-episode anime, the way it was intended.

The more I read Brandon Sanderson the more I see how hard he tries to get those superhero/anime hero action tropes into his combats (Stormlight especially) compared to RJ's writing which somehow converts the simple name of sword forms into a flowing and evocative duel scene.

Interpretive dance on a round stage would be a better format than anime.

875 of these 1000 episodes would just be rand making choking sounds staring down while his pupils shake if it were an anime.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pleads posted:

The trick IMO with RJs writing is when he talks about the sword forms is that he doesn't try and describe in much detail what is happening, but lets your own imagination run with what he writes and it creates a coherent and flowing scene in your head.