Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

in any case, the whole “it all revolves around the mundanity of it all” has been really popular in scandinavian literature for a long while now, so it’s not too hard to find similar vibes. maybe vigdis hjort if you want a female perspective with a harder lean into trauma, I believe she’s translated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

ignore this troll and do read proust

mdemone posted:

They're gonna tell you Proust but you don't have to listen to them

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

ulvir posted:

ignore this troll and do read proust

Proust has a hundred good pages in a novel of three thousand, fight me

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

Every page of Proust is a beautiful sedative

Dude should be administered in hospitals

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

ulvir posted:

in any case, the whole “it all revolves around the mundanity of it all” has been really popular in scandinavian literature for a long while now, so it’s not too hard to find similar vibes. maybe vigdis hjort if you want a female perspective with a harder lean into trauma, I believe she’s translated

Funny enough I have a copy of Long Live the Post Horn! on my shelf. Thanks for the recommendations. Books in translation seem to be my best bet for this kind of thing

Re. Proust I have a bad feeling In Search of Lost Time will be one of those that I keep meaning to read but never do

I guess I've lived long enough to appreciate the absurdity of life and enjoy seeing it rendered for what it is

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mdemone posted:

*stuffs a Madeline in your eye*

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just read a bit that was clearly parodying Proust but now I can't remember what it was :corsair:

e: Oh gently caress was it a post ITT?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

mdemone posted:

proust has about 3700 good pages in a novel of about 3700 :catbert:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Proust is the best

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Read In Search of Lost Time and liked it well enough, but not enough to keep going. I guess I should?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Well you gotta find out what happened to Time at the end

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Knausgård is twice as narcissistic and ten times the prose stylist.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

can someone spoil it for me and just tell me whether they ever find the lost time

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
they do, but it turns out to be far less time than the time they lost searching for it

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

It's the time I lost reading the loving thing

Pretty sure that was the joke he meant by the title

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

derp posted:

they do, but it turns out to be far less time than the time they lost searching for it

woah that's p deep

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

can someone spoil it for me and just tell me whether they ever find the lost time

You come to learn it was about the times we made along the way

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ben Nerevarine posted:

You come to learn it was about the times we made along the way

I want someone to ask Knausgård what he thinks of Proust.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
For some reason when I think of Proust I think of the scene where he is horse-playing with Gilberte and gets so riled up he jizzes in his pants because it made me cackle

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

mdemone posted:

Why would that not have happened

Heath posted:

For some reason when I think of Proust I think of the scene where he is horse-playing with Gilberte and gets so riled up he jizzes in his pants because it made me cackle

lol

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Heath posted:

https://x.com/dril/status/820791986798075904?s=20

Segue
May 23, 2007

It's been more than a decade since I read all of Proust during the most boring summer internship, but I recall it was pleasant. The later books have some interesting exploration of queer sex practices in upper society.

Decided to pick up Mason & Dixon after Bolaño and am surprised I'm not too into it. The prose is of course adventurous and fun and striking but I just really do not care for historical fiction.

The fart and sex jokes are there, but I wish he'd stick with more of the surreality of the Learned Dog and the talking navigation clocks. I demand more insanity. But still, very nice way to while away some hours.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Jrbg posted:

Heath posted:

Why would that not have happened

mdemone posted:

lol

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just under 150 pages left of savage detectives

arturo belano sounds like a complete dweeb, and yet somehow he continues to stumble into all kinds of weird poo poo, and has at least two women everywhere he couch surfs

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Me at the beginning of one of Ferrante’s Neapolitan novels: hmm, seems a little “gossipy”, lots of relationship drama, I dunno

Me at the end of one of Ferrante’s Neapolitan novels: gently caress….. gently caress!! Lila 😭

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Which flavor did you like best?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Lobster Henry posted:

Me at the beginning of one of Ferrante’s Neapolitan novels: hmm, seems a little “gossipy”, lots of relationship drama, I dunno

Me at the end of one of Ferrante’s Neapolitan novels: gently caress….. gently caress!! Lila 😭

i burned through the first 3 and am taking a break before the 4th. They’re so drat good.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Lobster Henry posted:

Those books are brilliant. I still get emotional thinking about that drat pair of shoes in the first one

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I haven't been able to keep up with the forums much this year, but I'm still running Secret Santa and would love to have as many toxic litbros participating as I can. This is one of my favorite threads (even if I'm a few hundred pages behind at the moment), and it's always a pleasure to have its posters involved.

Segue
May 23, 2007

The Neapolitan novels are incredibly good. I said offhand at my book club that they're probably the best literary achievement of the new century to some consternation, but I increasingly stand by it. Just wonderful encapsulation of last century.

Also halfway through Mason & Dixon where an exiled French chef is describing his flight from a sentient, horny duck automaton and I love Pynchon again. So dumb and yet smart and beautifully written.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
hi guys its been awhile but I asked a warhammer fan to read marquez and it went real bad anyways xoxo mel

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Why tho

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Listened to the audiobook of Liberation Day by Saunders. Overall pretty solid, with some really standout stories for me (Liberation Day, Love Letter, Mom of Bold Action, Sparrow). There are some passages near the end of "Liberation Day" where you can absolutely feel the sweat dripping down Saunder's brow as he's revising the hell out of certain sentences. But I think Sparrow might be the best piece in the book when it comes to his approach, which seems to be concentrating so deeply on the lives of desperate (often despicable) people, in a spirit of metta, until he can lovingkindness his way to an ending point of grace.

I feel such an immense respect for Proust but I also have yet to finish Swann's Way. I'm halfway through with it! It's just... It puts me to sleep. Not because it's bad; far from it. But the prose is so dense that I sometimes lose sight of what is actually happening in the story, and when I take a moment to reorient myself, the answer is something like "he was thinking about his aunt's housekeeper's kerchief" and I'm left unmoored once again. I've been reading the Lydia Davis translation, and it is really wonderful, but I almost have to suspend any judgment of it as a novel. I associate it with the same feeling I have when listening to music in a darkened room at night. It feels like words washing over me, rather than a sequence of events leading characters to a conclusion.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hi guys its been awhile but I asked a warhammer fan to read marquez and it went real bad anyways xoxo mel

100 Years or one of the good ones?

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Woah woah woah woah woah

Woah

Let’s settle down here, no need to get carried away

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh no there's a great new edition

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
this is them

Only registered members can see post attachments!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Uhh.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mel Mudkiper posted:

this is them

I mean maybe it's just me and my public school education but I remember learning about it in like 5th grade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

They got mad because chernobyl dared me to read a warhammer book and I had an emotional breakdown about the spiritual poverty of people who only read warhammer and then this lady who only reads warhammer got all offended so I told her to read 100 years of solitude and she quit brcuase "who cares about ice"