Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Hey, those of you who got the Valimar Moderoid, how do you, or plan to, go about coloring it? Since from the base kit it’s not colored like he his in the Cold Steel games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Been a while since I finished multiple. So I figured I should post them.

Also the 15 minute missions rule and I wanna buy more now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Right? The egg boys are so great. Im kinda cool on a lot of the other designs because they look over greebled to me but the eggs are the best.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I have yet to pick up an egg but I've built a Portanova (Green) and an Alto Ground Type (Olive Drab) and both of them are great for different reasons.

Also it's very fun to play with the parts from different weapons and equipment sets!

This huge shotgun is cool and all but we have the technology to make it better.

How about a giant belt-fed auto shotgun with an emergency backup mag and a scope for when you precisely need to hose down one part of your enemy?

Your enemy is in space and safely sits in their capital ships?

Just snipe them!

You can build some very ridiculous things with this line and I'm just scratching the surface :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SgtSteel91 posted:

Hey, those of you who got the Valimar Moderoid, how do you, or plan to, go about coloring it? Since from the base kit it’s not colored like he his in the Cold Steel games

A gold metallic gundam marker can do, if you have a steady hand. You'll want a metallic green one as well, some of the little Cores are unpainted too.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Synthbuttrange posted:

I keep a blob of blu tack nearby to clean my glass file on whenever i use it. Instantly unclogs it with minimal effort

this is such a great tip, I just picked up a glass file and love it but couldn't figure out how to clean the drat thing. all it took was a loving piece of tape lmao

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

My lighting continues to suck. Stripped down the red eggboy because the tamiya enamels were still coming off, and to try out some new stuff. I'd also found replacement stumps for his legs so it looks even more ridiculous now. And had a few spare demi trainer hands.

And panel lining crawls out of the creases onto the surface on the tamiya acrylic?! This is pre-cleanup. The shade is VERY nice though.

And a couple more things. I'd realized I could just make durable paint stirrers by hammering out some 3mm aluminium wire I had. Guess which one I made first :p I'd also picked up the backpack accessory kit and drat I think I'm cured of a need to get a Daisyogre for now. This has the same sort of feel. :3:

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Nov 13, 2023

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

SgtSteel91 posted:

For mine all I needed was a gold paint gundam marker, a green/emerald paint gundam marker, and a plain black gundam marker. Oh and a silver paint gundam marker that I only used sparingly to kind of blend in some of the dark injection pressure marks left behind from the nubs. You can kinda see them on the wrists in my picture.

The gold for all the gold filigree, and a large part of the hilt of the sword; the green for some of the gem pieces, though theres a few that come colored as is; and the black marker for some panel lining and detail, for the face/helmet, and on the wings. Theres a larger part on the wings that should be black but I just passed on it (for now). The gold and green paint pens were the regular versions, not the EX versions, so you can see how it comes out particularly on the hilt of the sword:

My bad photography:

that green gem on the back had to be painted. I cant remember 100% but I think only the big central green gem on the front of the chest came pre-painted.

That gold on the hilt of the sword had to be painted. You can also kinda see where I tried to blend with the silver marker over a dark mark on the wrist.

I had a hard time getting the shoulders/arms in all the way, and I think another person here had their broken off at that point, so be careful around that part.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PlushCow posted:

I had a hard time getting the shoulders/arms in all the way, and I think another person here had their broken off at that point, so be careful around that part.

Me. :negative:

How did you get the back thrusters in? I swear they just won't lock in on mine.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Me. :negative:

How did you get the back thrusters in? I swear they just won't lock in on mine.

sorry :glomp:

I'm remembering mine were super hard to get in too, you are not alone in that, just lots of pressure and took me more than one try because like you it would not go in all the way, but eventually it yielded.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

After Gaigar was essentially an HG-level kit on its own and having two straight weekends of company over, it was nice to finally get back into the RG with a nice, simple, one-session component. I'm also getting more comfortable with the alcohol and q-tips for cleaning my lines and they've never looked better!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Synthbuttrange posted:

I keep a blob of blu tack nearby to clean my glass file on whenever i use it. Instantly unclogs it with minimal effort

Mind: blown. Much better idea than the old toothbrush I'd been using.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

After Gaigar was essentially an HG-level kit on its own and having two straight weekends of company over, it was nice to finally get back into the RG with a nice, simple, one-session component. I'm also getting more comfortable with the alcohol and q-tips for cleaning my lines and they've never looked better!

Looking forward to hearing your opinions at the end. I've been riding the fence on RG GaoGaiGar for a while, to the point of having it in my cart and aborting because I thought better of spending all that money right then and there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've got a couple more days off later this week, I'll probably pop some of my water slides onto Gaigar and LinerGao next

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I was able to revive the marker with a bowl of rubbing alcohol and some patience, but it’s not quite back to where it used to be.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

I haven't built a model kit in about 10 years but my nephew dragged me to our nearby hobby store and I was weak.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

FiendishThingy posted:

I haven't built a model kit in about 10 years but my nephew dragged me to our nearby hobby store and I was weak.

Nice choices! The MG Origin is what got me back in after my own 10-year break about 8 years ago.

Warmachine posted:

Looking forward to hearing your opinions at the end. I've been riding the fence on RG GaoGaiGar for a while, to the point of having it in my cart and aborting because I thought better of spending all that money right then and there.

I'm coincidentally in the same spot in my GGG build and loving it so far. Gaigar on it's own could have been its own release.

I did build Goldymarg beforehand, and it's also pretty good. The transformation is fairly simple, but that gives it the best alt-mode stability I've encountered in a model. Good articulation too, but the removable hammer hampers it some.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
There's a MODEROID Nirvash Type ZERO coming next year! :shepspends:

It's the original version, not the late-series version, and yes it transforms into a sick car.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Oh, of course there's a gunpla thread.

I was gifted a HGAC #174 XXXG-0W00 Wing Gundam Zero which I had fun with. So I got off my rear end and built my old Gradius IV and V Vic Viper kits, which were also fun, and about the same difficulty level.

Then I said "screw it" and skipped all the way to this.

Just need to put the stickers on it and combine all the parts before it's worth a photo.

Gonna try and track down the RX-78 PG Unleashed next. :toot:

Edit Edit: oh, i see we're talking about RG GGG just a few posts up, lmao. I guess I need Goldymarg too, he's nothing without his hammer.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I actually just rolled the GaoGaiGar kit on my backlog wheel, so I'll probably put my two cents in too.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Justin_Brett posted:

backlog wheel

gently caress, that's a good idea.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a MODEROID Nirvash Type ZERO coming next year! :shepspends:

It's the original version, not the late-series version, and yes it transforms into a sick car.

That looks so drat good

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Deviant posted:

Oh, of course there's a gunpla thread.

There's even a Gunpla Discord if you care to join us (link in the OP). Also, one of us one of us one of us welcome.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ohhhhh boy first five p-bandai preorders have shipped it's officially a problem

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
How much are you guys spending at a time on gunpla? Upwards of $100? I usually only buy one kit at a time because Canada funbux are weak and shipping fees would cancel put any deals I find internationally.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Nov 15, 2023

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Moai Ou posted:

Nice choices! The MG Origin is what got me back in after my own 10-year break about 8 years ago.

I'm coincidentally in the same spot in my GGG build and loving it so far. Gaigar on it's own could have been its own release.

I did build Goldymarg beforehand, and it's also pretty good. The transformation is fairly simple, but that gives it the best alt-mode stability I've encountered in a model. Good articulation too, but the removable hammer hampers it some.

Goldymarg's existence is also a barrier to entry for me, because how can I get GGG without also getting Goldymarg? :retrogames:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Arc Hammer posted:

How much are you guys spending at a time on gunpla? Upwards of $100? I usually only buy one kit at a time because Canada funbux are weak and shipping fees would cancel put any deals I find internationally.

In general? One kit at a time. $12-60. I get joy out of visiting shops and seeing what's there. However, p-bandai? yeah.... that's generally $100 an order. If you're new to the game, p-bandai isn't gonna be hurting you yet. But at some point that siren call will sing to you, and you'll spend $80 on a HG kit. Or $115 on a RG. And... you'll like it.

So.... here's how I justify it. Dollars an hour of entertainment. As you get better at gunpla, they take longer.. and longer.. to build. A RG I used to build in two nights, takes me most of a week of evenings now. The cost of the kit stops mattering as much when you're getting 20-30-40 hours of enjoyment out of it. I have a HG Kyrios here that took me a week because of paint pens and doing color correction. If you're far enough away, you might think it's the MG!

That said, the $10 candy of EG's and simple HG kits is pretty nice too. But even those can be a challenge. I have a MG 1.5 here, that I have an extra four or five hours into because the color separation demanded it.

On the bright side, since you're still new, all the general releases are still things you want. So you have a huge swath of cheap, and easy to find kits to play with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Oh I'm not new, I've been at this game since 2016 I just haven't gotten so deep into it that I've built up a backlog and changing work and living conditions have made me check my wallet more often than simply going "sure an $80 Real Grade is fine this week"

If anything I'm getting more selective with my purchases either than just going for what's new. Not a lot of new kits are that appealing to me so I'm going and searching back catalogues for the grunts I like and then checking if they're worth the price-to-detail-to-articulation standards I want.

IBO Shiden kits are pretty much impossible to find in stores so that's an online bandaid I'll have to peel off if I want to buy one.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 15, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

i would like to re buy a hasegawa virtual on kit i gave up on and got rid of years ago, but water slides are the enemy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I buy one kit at a time and don't buy another until I've built it :shobon:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Arc Hammer posted:

Oh I'm not new, I've been at this game since 2016 I just haven't gotten so deep into it that I've built up a backlog and changing work and living conditions have made me check my wallet more often than simply going "sure an $80 Real Grade is fine this week"

If anything I'm getting more selective with my purchases either than just going for what's new. Not a lot of new kits are that appealing to me so I'm going and searching back catalogues for the grunts I like and then checking if they're worth the price-to-detail-to-articulation standards I want.

IBO Shiden kits are pretty much impossible to find in stores so that's an online bandaid I'll have to peel off if I want to buy one.

I only buy the kits that I think I will love. Sometimes, It's like a $15 Bearguy. Other times, it's a $300+ Gojulas.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Waffleman_ posted:

Arnold just told us Waffleman_ is dead.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Waffleman_ posted:

but the sweet siren call of "saving on shipping by ordering multiple things at a time"....
i guess this wouldn't be an issue if i just got my rear end outside and bought local instead but the hobbytown store closest to me is pretty dang small and doesn't have too much selection

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Nov 15, 2023

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Is it possible to learn this power?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's called "money tight"

The only reason I even got the RG GGG is because I got an Amazon gift card for my birthday

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Sounds to me like you value food more than gunpla.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

What do you think I do with the empty runners

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

This?

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe

Warmachine posted:

Goldymarg's existence is also a barrier to entry for me, because how can I get GGG without also getting Goldymarg? :retrogames:

Keep checking when suruga-ya has their free shipping weekends. I got GaoGaiGar & Goldymarg together for just a few bucks more than GundamPlanet charges for GGG alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

but the sweet siren call of "saving on shipping by ordering multiple things at a time"....
i guess this wouldn't be an issue if i just got my rear end outside and bought local instead but the hobbytown store closest to me is pretty dang small and doesn't have too much selection

My problem is the same as yours- when I got into Gunpla the back room of the comic store/nerdery I now live right near was 2.5 walls of Gundams, and now it's 1 wall comprised of 5 extremely expensive kits like the Xi + Penelope combo set I'd never consider buying plus a whole whack of non-Gundam model kits I don't have a big interest in and won't impulse-buy because of how much they cost. Like Arc Hammer alluded to, model kits are stupid expensive in Canada now.
Fortunately said store posts an imagedump on facebook whenever they get new model kits in, which lately has been never, so I don't have to go down there every week and leave disappointed.

Lucked out and checked Nii G Shop when they had the Calibarn so that's finally coming to me, plus a Demi Barding and Aerial Rebuild. Thanks to the above, I haven't actually built a kit since Backlogust ended and I'm getting real itchy.