Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just copying a foreign word instead of inventing a new one

I bet the Germans have a word for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Re: Malaysia: yeah it's pretty much impossible to get yourself legally declared an apostate if you're Muslim. Glad I don't have that issue because I'm ethnically Chinese so I'm officially Buddhist on the government records, but if I ever did convert to Islam then it'll be hard to take back. Especially because even adult converts need to get circumcised if you aren't already.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah you can't be accepted into atheism if you've been circumcised before.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think that system of different laws for different peoples who may just be living side by side is that different from basically the way a lot of the law worked in most of Europe before modernization happened. Most big countries had horrible messes of law systems that had to be reformed to work properly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ibblebibble posted:

Re: Malaysia: yeah it's pretty much impossible to get yourself legally declared an apostate if you're Muslim. Glad I don't have that issue because I'm ethnically Chinese so I'm officially Buddhist on the government records, but if I ever did convert to Islam then it'll be hard to take back. Especially because even adult converts need to get circumcised if you aren't already.

Nobody wants to convert anymore!

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

More than half of USA was Spain

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tei posted:

Ah yes, the time when Thomas Jefferson purchased Louisiana from

checks notes

Spain, at least a year after his presidency ended.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
USA is more a spanish colony than a english colony. Look at the map.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Ah yes, the time when Thomas Jefferson purchased Louisiana from

checks notes

Spain, at least a year after his presidency ended.

even in 1810 spain was still a napoleonic puppet state so they would have fully recognized the louisana purchase seven years earlier. did the overseas viceroyalty have disagreements with peninsular spain over this? if so i've never heard of them before

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

France actually traded Tuscany to Spain to get the Louisiana territory back in 1800. That map's just straight-up wrong, but Spanish maps I think tend to exaggerate more than most maps of European powers how much territory they actually controlled.

Roughly all the Spanish possession on the continental Americas ended up fighting wars of independence anyways when Napoleon overthrew the Spanish monarchy and fought a long war to fail to gain control of the Iberian peninsula, much less assert firm control over the Spanish colonial holdings. I guess Mexico respected the territory exchange that happened before independence, and it's not like they'd have an easy time asserting control over the Dakota anyways. They barely could maintain authority over New Mexico.

But either way, all the Spaniards in the Americas were still immigrants at some point.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think that system of different laws for different peoples who may just be living side by side is that different from basically the way a lot of the law worked in most of Europe before modernization happened. Most big countries had horrible messes of law systems that had to be reformed to work properly.

yeah especially in larger cities. You'd have to go to a different court in Copenhagen depending on whether you or the other party were civilian, nobility, member of or employed by the royal court (as in retinue), ecclesiastical, military, etc, and of course there'd be squabbles about venue, and sometimes cases could be appealed from one court to another, etc. The unified court became Hof- og Stadsretten in 1771, Den kongelige Landsover- samt Hof- og Stadsret in 1805, and eventually Østre Landsret.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

SlothfulCobra posted:

But either way, all the Spaniards in the Americas were still immigrants at some point.

All of the indigenous born under spanish reign where spanish and not immigrants. Well.. if we ignore that all humans descend from africa, I guess.

Tei fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 15, 2023

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Germany still automatically has you tithe part of your income to your church as part of your taxes if you're registered as a Catholic or Lutheran. And it can apparently be quite a pain to be taken off the church's lists to avoid paying them.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The hard part is getting an appointment at the Standesamt. Other than that, if you are over 14 you can tell the church to gently caress off without a problem.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

On that note I always liked the pun in MyKad (the Malaysian national id cards), MY is short for malaysia you see, but it also just means "my card".

e: Oh and the Kad part is itself a cyclical acronym like e.g. GNU (there is a specific term for it but it escapes me).

VVV oh yeah that makes sense :v:

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Nov 15, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
that’s recursion op

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Tei posted:

Population: 5

(including el Zorro)

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

SlothfulCobra posted:

France actually traded Tuscany to Spain to get the Louisiana territory back in 1800. That map's just straight-up wrong, but Spanish maps I think tend to exaggerate more than most maps of European powers how much territory they actually controlled.

Roughly all the Spanish possession on the continental Americas ended up fighting wars of independence anyways when Napoleon overthrew the Spanish monarchy and fought a long war to fail to gain control of the Iberian peninsula, much less assert firm control over the Spanish colonial holdings. I guess Mexico respected the territory exchange that happened before independence, and it's not like they'd have an easy time asserting control over the Dakota anyways. They barely could maintain authority over New Mexico.

Looks like that image is just a lazily edited version of this Wikipedia map that was accidentally labeled 1810 instead of 1800:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Louisiana#/media/File:Viceroyalty_of_the_New_Spain_1800_(without_Philippines).png

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

My favorite part of that map is the edit to indicate the Spanish territory with the Spanish flag but keeping a legend that indicates that only red territory was Spanish, resulting in most of the territory not being Spanish.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
lol gonna go tell all the indigenous people who were fighting open wars against Spain and the successor states until at least 1935 that they were wrong

Anyways the map is of immigration (a bad one but still), not colonial empires

Here’s the map of places with majority spanish or latin american ancestry in the US.

Note that most of these were majority indigenous the last time Mexico owned them

Also fyi Spain did have a huge influence on Louisiana during the 40 years of control. The historic french quarter burned down under spanish rule and that’s why the surviving buildings look spanish colonial, not french. The city probably had more spaniards than the entire US southwest in 1803, not to mention all their spanish-speaking slaves they brought along.

The original french quarter would have looked more like hot climate historical Québec City than what you think of when you think NOLA.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 15, 2023

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tei posted:

All of the indigenous born under spanish reign where spanish and not immigrants. Well.. if we ignore that all humans descend from africa, I guess.

And nobody wrote "indigeneous born under Spanish reign" on JFK's Nation of Immigrants map. Much of the native population of that area didn't even really consider themselves under Spanish reign anyways, and acted like you would expect sovereign nations would, even though they never had a standing when it came to Europeans making their territorial claims. I think the biggest northern native population that was subordinate to Spanish rule was the Pueblo in New Mexico, and even then it was a pretty weak hold. The Spanish had a batter hold on the settlers who came from deeper in Mexico or Spain, but was often unable to even protect them out on the frontier.

You could argue that the Mexicans marked in California, New Mexico, and Texas never migrated since the border moved south over them, but there were still enough people going back and forth across the border after the Mexican American war that they still count as immigrants, and with how populations exploded in the century after the war, post-US conquest immigrants probably outnumber the people descended from families that stayed in place.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phlegmish posted:

Population: 5

(including el Zorro)

yeah

there were some huge areas with a handful of forts and most people living there were unaware that they were ruled by spain or whoever

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

neat, I had been waiting for this since the last census. old white people in the texas panhandle continue to die

the counties in washington state are interesting since there isn't a direct equivalent equivalent in eastern oregon (I'm sure there are lots of counties with 40%+ though)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm surprised the map isn't redder, but I guess they are very much concentrated in specific regions. A lot of those counties are probably at 80%+.

Meanwhile, many Latin American countries now have fertility rates below or just slightly above the replacement level. Given their continuously high emigration rates, some of them will probably start losing population soon. It's already happening in Cuba:

Extrapolating indefinitely from current demographical trends, which is always a smart and good thing to do, we can conclude that eventually the entire population of the Americas will be living in the United States, which in turn will be 100% Latino

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Phlegmish posted:

Extrapolating indefinitely from current demographical trends, which is always a smart and good thing to do, we can conclude that eventually the entire population of the Americas will be living in the United States, which in turn will be 100% Latino

insallah

when we all speak spanish no longer will there be a barrier to getting tacos at the best mexican places

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Angry Salami posted:

Germany still automatically has you tithe part of your income to your church as part of your taxes if you're registered as a Catholic or Lutheran. And it can apparently be quite a pain to be taken off the church's lists to avoid paying them.

Denmark has the same for the state Lutheran church. If you're baptized, you pay church tax, because you're a member of the church. It's pretty easy to get out though, even if it means you lose the right to a Christian wedding/funeral.

Anecdotally, my friend went abroad and home again years ago, and apparently in that case it was just assumed that she was a church member, so she was registered as a Christian for a while despite not being baptized.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Angry Salami posted:

If by pain you mean they make you sit in their waiting room for several hours for a one minute procedure, it used to be a pain. Though those kind of waiting queues were changed a lot during the rona, so quitting church might be actually easy these days.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BonHair posted:

Denmark has the same for the state Lutheran church. If you're baptized, you pay church tax, because you're a member of the church. It's pretty easy to get out though, even if it means you lose the right to a Christian wedding/funeral.

Anecdotally, my friend went abroad and home again years ago, and apparently in that case it was just assumed that she was a church member, so she was registered as a Christian for a while despite not being baptized.

I think they just assume(d) in a lot of cases, cause I paid church taxes as well for a a year or two after I turned 15 in the 90s. Never baptized and never lived abroad. When I demanded a refund, they even wanted me to prove I wasn't a member of the church. What's that saying about proving a negative? So I told them that I take the lord's name in vain and think impure thoughts and they sent me my check for the ~50 bucks I had paid too much.

But you can still get church-married if one party is a member. Also you can get buried in the church cemetery, but you can't use the church for the ceremony.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

I think they just assume(d) in a lot of cases, cause I paid church taxes as well for a a year or two after I turned 15 in the 90s. Never baptized and never lived abroad. When I demanded a refund, they even wanted me to prove I wasn't a member of the church. What's that saying about proving a negative? So I told them that I take the lord's name in vain and think impure thoughts and they sent me my check for the ~50 bucks I had paid too much.

But you can still get church-married if one party is a member. Also you can get buried in the church cemetery, but you can't use the church for the ceremony.

I've read that story before, and it still owns. And yeah, the marriage stuff makes sense, and the burial too (since all burial sites are basically church related), which does mean that dying as an atheist gives your family a bit more work to do arranging everything.

Another fun historical bit is that the church is in charge of names and the census (which is just a database of everyone in the country, not the crazy interview stuff other countries apparently do). Which means that you get a mail from the church when you acquire a baby and name it. Unless you're in Southern Jutland, where it's the municipality because they were occupied by the Germans 1864-1920ish

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When I was a teenager there was a nice couple who'd show up to every hardcore and metal show with a stack of the form you needed to fill out to deregister from the Icelandic National Church and help anyone who wanted fill it out and then file it for them.

As the minor hassle of doing paperwork was probably the only thing keeping 99% of young punks from leaving the church.

I think I filled mine out at a Blaclisted show.

These days you can just do it online in five minutes just like most things.

I'm pretty sure the only people still left in the church either don't know how easy it is to deregister, care so little that they probably don't even know they belong to a church, or are elderly (and thus actually religious)*.

Due to this membership is steadily decreasing and in 20 years there'll probably won't be anyone left. Seperation of church and state still wouldn't happen because we can't have good things.

*All actually religious young people in Iceland hate the far too liberal national church and have joined some wacky fringe cult like the 7th Day Adventists or Jehovah's Witnesses.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 15, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

BonHair posted:

I've read that story before, and it still owns. And yeah, the marriage stuff makes sense, and the burial too (since all burial sites are basically church related), which does mean that dying as an atheist gives your family a bit more work to do arranging everything.

Another fun historical bit is that the church is in charge of names and the census (which is just a database of everyone in the country, not the crazy interview stuff other countries apparently do). Which means that you get a mail from the church when you acquire a baby and name it. Unless you're in Southern Jutland, where it's the municipality because they were occupied by the Germans 1864-1920ish

yea i probably like telling it a bit too much lol

people going through the trouble of leaving comes in waves here (jumping in the 1st quater, taxes i suppose heh), but overall its dropping pretty linearly (currently at ~70% of the population). probably it will accellerate some in the next couple decades as older generations die off

https://www.dst.dk/da/Statistik/emner/borgere/folkekirke/medlemmer-af-folkekirken

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

FreudianSlippers posted:

When I was a teenager there was a nice couple who'd show up to every hardcore and metal show with a stack of the form you needed to fill out to deregister from the Icelandic National Church and help anyone who wanted fill it out and then file it for them.
If my first thought here was "poo poo I hope those people didnt do that to steal the young people's personal info", does that make me cynical?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

It seems like at Iceland population numbers you’d run out of people to give the form to after like three shows

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

New Zealand sure seems to have manually shifted.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's the most bizarre 'no data' map i've ever seen hands-down

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

i say swears online posted:

that's the most bizarre 'no data' map i've ever seen hands-down

"Of course I got the data for the congo. Wait what do you mean *which* congo? "

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The next great global humanitarian project to compete with the Marshall Plan should be to provide automatic cars to the rest of the world.

Sorry rest of the world, but technology has improved and there is no need for manual transmissions except for weird nostalgia purposes or boomer ideas about how something has to be more difficult to make it worth it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The next great global humanitarian project to compete with the Marshall Plan should be to provide automatic cars to the rest of the world.

Sorry rest of the world, but technology has improved and there is no need for manual transmissions except for weird nostalgia purposes or boomer ideas about how something has to be more difficult to make it worth it.
I mean, it's happening through EVs automatically.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, it's happening through EVs automatically.

How many years must the rest of the world suffer while we wait? Are you content to tell the average German, "Sorry, but your collective punishment must continue for a few more decades until we reach peak EV. We could spare you, but we won't?"

Because that is a dereliction of our shared humanity and morality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Guavanaut posted:

New Zealand sure seems to have manually shifted.

Someone was determined to not end up on the collection of maps missing NZ.