Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Has anyone had any problems with their 15 Pro start having big problems with wireless charging? For the past few weeks it’s been more and more difficult to get the charging to work and now it’s at the point where it’s not working 80-90% of the time on multiple wireless charging platforms. This is especially bad if I need to use navigation via CarPlay and suddenly I notice that my phone is about to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

My 15 Pro Max stinks on any non Apple wireless chargers and always has but works fine on MagSafe.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It worked absolutely fine but slowly got worse. This is why I was wondering if it’s a known problem

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Are you using a case? Because of the camera bump, a lot of cases just keep the height for the whole back the same as the bump and there's a bit of space for the rest of the non-camera phone, which can be enough to disrupt the wireless charging.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
It’s that time of year (Black Friday) when there sometimes are discounts on iTunes gift cards, although I think I’ve been seeing them less and less.

Anyone know of any discounts next week for iTunes gift cards?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Haven't had any trouble at all on at least two non-Apple chargers.

Had some trouble with an older vertical stand where the coils weren't lined up, though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wife's belkin magsafe station randomly stopped charging her phone. The watch charger worked fine.

Unplugged it from the wall, let it sit a few seconds, then plugged back in and it started working again. Who knew charging stations needed reboots. :iiam:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I avoid charging my phone wirelessly since it needlessly adds too much heat. It's a shame too since my car's phone holder is a wireless charger.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

xzzy posted:

Wife's belkin magsafe station randomly stopped charging her phone. The watch charger worked fine.

Unplugged it from the wall, let it sit a few seconds, then plugged back in and it started working again. Who knew charging stations needed reboots. :iiam:

Is this the tree looking one? I’ve had to do this a few times for my wife’s as well. Real weird but it works lol.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Original_Z posted:

Are you using a case? Because of the camera bump, a lot of cases just keep the height for the whole back the same as the bump and there's a bit of space for the rest of the non-camera phone, which can be enough to disrupt the wireless charging.

That was my thought as well but even with no case I'm having the same problem.

Edit: the one charger I have no major problems with (but it still happens now and then) is Peak Design's magsafe charging stand. The Belkin 3 in 1 charger (iphone, apple watch and earbuds) no longer will charge my phone and my Bolt's charging nook also no longer charges reliably at all. I mean I'll just bring a cable into my car but I'm wondering if I can just phone fruit and ask about this.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 15, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've had no problems with an Anker MagSafe dock on my desk.

This one specifically although I don't even know where my AirPods are anymore, lol

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Charging-PowerWave-Magnetic/dp/B094FMWPPM/

Last purchased Oct 7, 2021 so it's seen multiple phone and cases worth of MagSafe by now including 15 Pro Max :shrug:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

I have that Belkin 3-in-1 pad and this randomly happens to me. On my old 13 Pro and my new (and second new) 15 Pros. Like you said, unplugging the pad and plugging it back in seems to fix it. But it does suck when you don't realize til you wake up and your phone is at 4%, if not dead.

e: I actually gave the Belkin to my wife and swapped it out with this Lisen 3-in-1, purely for the standby mode. I used to use some lovely Echo Show thing I got for free with a Ring cam as my bedside clock, but couldn't wait to get rid of it because of all the Amazon/Alexa poo poo.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CC5JCJPV

I actually really like it, and no charging funkiness. My only complaint is that the watch charger is a bit too close to the phone when it's horizontal, so you can bump it when trying to put the watch on the charger. Not a big deal though. Folds up, so it's really good for traveling.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 15, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
My wife's iphone 13 pro max had a problem with the SIM card. She went to Verizon and they said it was Apple's fault, but the guy working there sucked. He didn't diagnose anything or even look at it that long, just said go to Apple.

So we went to the fruit stand and they were just like "we'll give you a new phone" and replaced the entire phone for free without Applecare even though her phone was 2 years old. It ended up not even being Apple's fault at all.

I don't even know; we're really good customers, but I doubt that matters. Sometimes apple support comes through in pretty nutty ways that seem at the complete discretion of the employee working on your item. It's just kind of amazing that they would do that.

The replacement policies also came in super handy when they would replace your airpod pros for like 2 years straight no questions asked with no warranty or applecare. We replaced them multiple times to keep the batteries healthy.

They don't replace them anymore like that, but for the record everyone should be getting Applecare on Airpods so you can get a replacement battery (meaning a new set, they don't repair them) at the end of the 2 year duration. It's not a question of if you'll get battery degradation, it's just when. Applecare for airpods is super cheap too, $29 for 2 years!

Taima fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 15, 2023

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Haven't had any issues yet with my 15 pro and my Belkin stand.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

My Anker stand works great with my 15 Pro, though I don't use it that much bc I prefer the 20W fast charging I get from plugging in a cable: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Qi-Certified-Compatible-Fast-Charging-PowerWave/dp/B07DBXZZN3/

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
iPhone 15 supports Qi2

https://www.engadget.com/the-iphone-15-series-will-work-with-the-upcoming-qi2-wireless-charging-standard-190807866.html

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Has anyone had any problems with their 15 Pro start having big problems with wireless charging? For the past few weeks it’s been more and more difficult to get the charging to work and now it’s at the point where it’s not working 80-90% of the time on multiple wireless charging platforms. This is especially bad if I need to use navigation via CarPlay and suddenly I notice that my phone is about to die.

Do you drive a BMW? They were having some issue that was breaking wireless charging and Apple Pay.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

Do you drive a BMW? They were having some issue that was breaking wireless charging and Apple Pay.

BMW Link (tm) now available for $129.99 per year!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ojjeorago posted:

No a Chevy Bolt. My 13 pro worked flawlessly with the wireless charging and the 15 pro was fine for almost a year but over the past 6 weeks or so has gotten incredibly flaky and last night when I was driving home from a hospital visit it simply would not charge at all. I made an appointment with apple to have a genius bar check it. With luck maybe they will just swap out the phone and I'll try my luck with that.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

i see a lot of random complaints about 15 pro heat or charging or scratching, but does anyone actually regret the purchase?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

pmchem posted:

i see a lot of random complaints about 15 pro heat or charging or scratching, but does anyone actually regret the purchase?

No.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

I went to a techno show last night and some of my video do this really weird PiP thing but it’s not for the whole video. The larger image will sometimes flash green so it’s not clear to me if it’s a software or hardware issue with the 15P. It seems related to when I’m zooming NOT by tapping one of the preset buttons but possibly when I accidentally hit the record button which would stop recording and then slide my thumb up/down.

Has anyone else run into this issue? It’s happening less frequently for me but did when I went to a show at Red Rocks recently. You can see a different manifestation of it it in the screenshot below when I zoomed out from 1x to 0.5x by using the preset. I don’t think I’ve updated iOS since before this started, still on 17.0.2 on my 15 Pro.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 16, 2023

Snord
Mar 5, 2002

We hugged it out, but I was still a little angry.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

No a Chevy Bolt. My 13 pro worked flawlessly with the wireless charging and the 15 pro was fine for almost a year but over the past 6 weeks or so has gotten incredibly flaky and last night when I was driving home from a hospital visit it simply would not charge at all. I made an appointment with apple to have a genius bar check it. With luck maybe they will just swap out the phone and I'll try my luck with that.

The 15 Pro has not been out for almost a year.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

pmchem posted:

This is the first problem I've had with it, and since T-Mob took my 13 pro and gave me $1000 for it to put on the 15 Pro to extend my contract with them for 2 years it was a no-brainer for me since I wasn't planning on changing carriers at all. In the end it cost me $125 spread over 2 years.

I did get a glass protector since over 2 years I got a couple of scratches on my 13 pro, so I figured it's worth it.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Snord posted:

The 15 Pro has not been out for almost a year.

Yeah sorry I meant to say the 13 for a year and a few months for the 15 pro.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

pmchem posted:

No. Battery, screen, and heat are all perfectly fine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
My 15 pro max has randomly gotten itself very hot to the touch while sitting on a desk doing nothing two times now. Screen off, no Bluetooth, etc. a third time it overheated while charging on the official apple cable and brick I use every night.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pmchem posted:

Nope

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
So far so good with my 15 pro. Hopefully didn't just jinx myself.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

pmchem posted:

Having USB-C for the few times I actually want a cable has been a life changer.

I actually traveled with one cable recently. One USB-C cable for my iPhone and my Kindle. The latter of which didn't really need charging, because even reading a quarter of Asimov's Foundation on my flights only makes it lose 10% battery!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My 15 pro heated up like crazy when I first bought it but it basically never happens now

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Macichne Leainig posted:

I actually traveled with one cable recently. One USB-C cable for my iPhone and my Kindle. The latter of which didn't really need charging, because even reading a quarter of Asimov's Foundation on my flights only makes it lose 10% battery!

I lived the dream like this on a recent work trip. 1 double C brick for my phone, ipad, 2 cameras, and kindle. Was great.

Of course, my plane and train didn't have AC outlets and only had USB ports, so gently caress me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Macichne Leainig posted:

This is true until the Mule shows up and suddenly changes your entire plan and now your battery is at 10%.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
If my AirPod Pros show up in the battery widget, they’re definitely within Bluetooth range, right? They’re not in “Find My” for some reason.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

eddiewalker posted:

If my AirPod Pros show up in the battery widget, they’re definitely within Bluetooth range, right? They’re not in “Find My” for some reason.

It might just remember the percentage they were at when last connected?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

It might just remember the percentage they were at when last connected?

Mine disappear from the widget pretty quickly after disconnecting. Do you see them listed at the top of the settings app?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Macichne Leainig posted:

Part of the reason I decided to do a one generation upgrade is because on a recent trip I woke up in the morning to see my phone wasn't charged. I had plugged it in, but forgot to actually swap out the USB-C cable I had been using for my iPad with the Lightning cable for my phone on the A/C adapter since, like all hotels, only one plug in the entire room was useable.

(I had a power bank on me so it was fine though.)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

That was my thought as well but even with no case I'm having the same problem.

Edit: the one charger I have no major problems with (but it still happens now and then) is Peak Design's magsafe charging stand. The Belkin 3 in 1 charger (iphone, apple watch and earbuds) no longer will charge my phone and my Bolt's charging nook also no longer charges reliably at all. I mean I'll just bring a cable into my car but I'm wondering if I can just phone fruit and ask about this.

The Verge just posted an article an hour ago about lots of people complaining they lost charging ability in their GM vehicles after the last update

https://www.theverge.com/2023/11/16/23963780/iphone-15-wireless-charging-gm-chevy-buick-cadillac

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Aphrodite posted:

Part of the reason I decided to do a one generation upgrade is because on a recent trip I woke up in the morning to see my phone wasn't charged. I had plugged it in, but forgot to actually swap out the USB-C cable I had been using for my iPad with the Lightning cable for my phone on the A/C adapter since, like all hotels, only one plug in the entire room was useable.

(I had a power bank on me so it was fine though.)

I also got this power bank which is a wonderful piece of kit for USB-C stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Charger-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B0C9CJKCH3

Can be charged with the built in cable. Longevity of the built in cable remains to be seen but I can't overstate the convenience of charging the battery with the cable and then charging your phone with the same cable later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Today’s Super Annoying New Thing:

iPhone 15 Pro Max, running iOS17.1.1

AirPods Pro 2nd Gen (Lightning)

The AirPods connect fine to the phone. The little audio output widget shows that it is set to output to the AirPods. If I expand the media widget in Control Center and tap the output selector, it shows the AirPods as the selected output.

Yet, the second I hit play, everything switches away to using the phone as the output. Which is loving infuriating.

I hit Pause in Apple Music or Overcast or whatever to shut it up. Go back into the output widget (either from Control Center or from whatever app I’m in). I set it BACK to use the loving Airpods. It shows that it accepted that change, the AirPods show as the output EVERYWHERE in the phone.

Go back to audio app. Press (un)-Pause. BOOM, everything goes back to blaring out of the loving phone speakers.

I’ve noticed, via testing, that if I let the audio scream out through the phone speakers WITHOUT pausing, and change the output then, THAT will work and stick for the current playing session, BUT the minute I pause again it fucks up again back to speaker output. I popped one bud out because my wife had a question and when I popped the bud back in music came blaring out of the phone speakers.

This is making me want to fire this loving phone into a lake. Is anybody else having this kind of issue? I can’t find any reference to it online. It’s persisted through the last few iOS17 incremental updates, I don’t recall it happening under iOS16, it’s a very recent issue at least.