Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I love John's voice. I can't recall if it was Keeble who voiced him first, but they went with it and were cursed henceforth. Hell, nearly every other character Keebs have done has changed voices as one point or another (most memorably, Rowboat turned weirdly nasal at one point, and then he was back to normal the next book), but John's awful accent is so memorable that there's no way they could've changed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

nesbit37 posted:

Need to figure out where to go next. In the past I have mostly liked books from the xenos perspective, but I have enjoyed the Sisters of Battle and Necromunda books I have read as well.

Guessing you've read The Infinite and The Divine, Brutal Kunnin, Warboss, Ghazkull, and the two Twice-Dead King books if you say you like xeno stuff - if not, they're all good, although Twice-Dead is very different in tone than the others.

There's a Necron short story titled Severed that's amazing too.

Outside of xeno stuff...you've read Eisenhorn, right? The thread titled used to be "Read Eisenhorn then come back" and it is still fully apt.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

If you like xenos books because of their outside or different perspective I would strongly recommend Lords of Silence.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That accent showed up on the most recent episode of Classic Ghost Stories podcast (The Canterville Ghost) and I couldn't get over how two different narrators did the same surprised Chicago gangster voice for Americans.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Kylaer posted:

Guessing you've read The Infinite and The Divine, Brutal Kunnin, Warboss, Ghazkull, and the two Twice-Dead King books if you say you like xeno stuff - if not, they're all good, although Twice-Dead is very different in tone than the others.

There's a Necron short story titled Severed that's amazing too.

Outside of xeno stuff...you've read Eisenhorn, right? The thread titled used to be "Read Eisenhorn then come back" and it is still fully apt.

I have read, or at least own, most of the titles you mentioned. I bought the necron titles but decided to read Beast Arises first for some reason. I might go back to them now, just kind of wondering if there is something else I haven’t looked into that maybe I should, I’ve generally discounted most of the imperium focused stuff in the past.

I have not read Eisenhorn, so if thats a must read I may go to that next.

D-Pad posted:

If you like xenos books because of their outside or different perspective I would strongly recommend Lords of Silence.

Thanks, that is why I like them (largely), so I’ll check that one out.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Read the Necron books, Eisenhorn, or Lords of Silence. All are good choices.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Just finished reading the last book in the 12 part Beast Arises series.

F

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
If there's a theme to the Beast series maybe it's what if orkz operated like the imperium?

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Fearless posted:

If space marine SAMs disturb you, I got real bad news about the installation of a Geller fied generator.

What goes in to that? I am not familiar with that bit

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Grilled Beef posted:

Psykers. Well, parts of them. The important parts, anyways!

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Grilled Beef posted:

Remember the tubes for people in The Matrix?

Preechr posted:

Psykers. Well, parts of them. The important parts, anyways!

Enough of one where they can dream a magic bubble that keeps demons away, till they burn out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MariusLecter posted:

If there's a theme to the Beast series maybe it's what if orkz operated like the imperium?

And someone at GW said "yes this is good idea" like the world's smartest Ogryn.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Gellar fields predate human psykers being common -- they are a requirement for effective warp travel. They can't all have "organic components".

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Yeah it's a creepy little detail for one specific type of field, but most other fields use some sort of more mundane supertech.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah it's a creepy little detail for one specific type of field, but most other fields use some sort of more mundane supertech.

Yes but that takes a lot of specialized work and materials :effort:

Alternatively: get in the magic life force/soul draining tube, psyker.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Arc Hammer posted:

the world's smartest Ogryn.

She's a minor character in the Ghazghkull book, and she's awesome :colbert:

quote:

‘No such thing as a grot psyker,’ said the ogryn psyker, then grunted in mild annoyance as Falx raised an eyebrow at the irony.

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 17, 2023

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Do the AdMech really not do science or research or invent things? The Genefather books seem to imply that specifically. So what do the tech-priests do all day? Why do they all have laboratories and workshops and such…they have to be either building new things or taking apart old things or…something.

The machine-spirit superstitions, and the taboos on certain kinds of tech, and the focus on rediscovering old tech to the point that it stifles innovation, those all make sense to me, but if you have an entire caste of tech experts, they must be doing SOMETHING.

(Is the real answer “this is what British public schools in the 1960s taught about the ‘Dark Ages’”?)

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I'm no expert, but it seems the Admech has factions. Some are super anti-invention and just want to chase and recovers STCs. Some skirt that in different dogmatic ways.

Cawl apparently goes "Hey, the human inventors of the past were AWESOME. So they already invented -everything-. Therefore, anything I invent was already invented by them, so it's just recovery! Owned by facts and logic." which is...emm, kinda crap, but whatever.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Cawl's intro in the heresy is basically "yes I invented something, thus placing myself above the Omnissiah in His infinite wisdom, but (ben shapiro voice) actually—". He's had ten thousand years of practice being a little poo poo.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

He's not wrong though.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
Every tech-priest knows exactly where the Line That Must Not Be Crossed is, with regard to forbidden archaeotech, xeno tech, warp-adjacent tech, etc.: it's just the slightest hair past the really cool thing they want to do.

Cawl is absolutely a heretek by the view of most of the Mechanicus.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Azubah posted:

He's not wrong though.

Oh I'd say that a great many people who go against the orthodoxy of the admech are right on the money, but he is a bit of a poo poo.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cawl also has memories of the scientists who existed before the heresy, so it must be pretty frustrating to have to tiptoe around what are very enthusiastically repressed cave people in comparison all day.

The vibe I got of the admech is that more heretical members might do actual studies and logs of xenotech, or attempt to use them or improve the existing old tech using the knowledge gained, but your average tech priest is content to sit and maintain only what already exists and is sanctioned, and that's what they do in workshops all day, fix the rapidly decaying infrastructure and equipment of the imperium.

Exploratory Fleets travel around looking for stcs and other constructs of the like, since those are sanctioned archaeotech.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 17, 2023

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I really enjoyed the bit in Betrayer (I think?) where the traitor tech priests talks about how he helped the Emperor examine Angron's nails. I think I remember it being mentioned elsewhere in the heresy series that the Emperor isn't actually all-knowing or competent in all fields and frequently the reason he keeps the super smart people around is so he can piggy-back on their knowledge and experience by psychic osmosis.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AFAICT they will freely invent and improve and rebuild "normal" technology but will not attempt to OFFICIALLY improve or invent archeotech that comes from STCs.

So as an example they will endlessly fiddle with the stock and scope and handles of a lasgun but will never really touch the battery pack.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Cawl is saying that while standing in a temple on a dark age world-platform sited on an artificial lagrange point in a seven-star system, which itself is made of technology that seems to be alive, and can open webway gates.

So, he may have a point.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Is it a secret that Cawl is as old as the Heresy and used to (indirectly) hang around with Big E, or do at least the senior AdMech know?

I don't hate Cawl's unorthodoxy and his Primaris as much as others do, and I can forgive that he was introduced so abruptly, but I really dislike that he was given a 10,000-year backstory.

It was a very big deal for a very long time that Bjorn was the only publicly known 30k guy still around in 40k, and it was part of the theme. The 40k Imperium has forgotten the glories of the Unification / Great Crusade era, and the only one who remembers is a half-dead grognard stored in a freezer.

Now it turns out that one of the most prominent and active AdMech leaders, who is also an extremely chatty dude who travels with his own ship and collaborates with many forge worlds, happens to be from 30k and relatively sane. Whoops.

And it's super clumsy storytelling to materialise a new 30k guy right at the same time as you resurrect a Primarch.

Most of all, it was completely unnecessary! Guilliman is pragmatism incarnate, if Cawl had "only" been a 3500-year-old magos who had been running private heretek geneseed experiments, Bobbie would have been more than happy to cover for him. The convenient "I just remembered that I gave you the Primaris mission before taking a nap" story could have easily been an in-universe bullshit meant for the High Lords and Chapter Masters.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has Cawl actually shown up in the Horus Heresy books though?

E: it looks like he shows up as a minor character in Wolfsbane. Huh.

moths fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 17, 2023

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

NihilCredo posted:

Is it a secret that Cawl is as old as the Heresy and used to (indirectly) hang around with Big E, or do at least the senior AdMech know?

I don't hate Cawl's unorthodoxy and his Primaris as much as others do, and I can forgive that he was introduced so abruptly, but I really dislike that he was given a 10,000-year backstory.

It was a very big deal for a very long time that Bjorn was the only publicly known 30k guy still around in 40k, and it was part of the theme. The 40k Imperium has forgotten the glories of the Unification / Great Crusade era, and the only one who remembers is a half-dead grognard stored in a freezer.

Now it turns out that one of the most prominent and active AdMech leaders, who is also an extremely chatty dude who travels with his own ship and collaborates with many forge worlds, happens to be from 30k and relatively sane. Whoops.

And it's super clumsy storytelling to materialise a new 30k guy right at the same time as you resurrect a Primarch.

Most of all, it was completely unnecessary! Guilliman is pragmatism incarnate, if Cawl had "only" been a 3500-year-old magos who had been running private heretek geneseed experiments, Bobbie would have been more than happy to cover for him. The convenient "I just remembered that I gave you the Primaris mission before taking a nap" story could have easily been an in-universe bullshit meant for the High Lords and Chapter Masters.

I think they handwave a lot of his 30k-ness with "I been memory wiped more than once!" and "It's just depressing bringing up the facts and truths to these blissfully ignorant dopes around me"

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

moths posted:

Has Cawl actually shown up in the Horus Heresy books though?

E: it looks like he shows up as a minor character in Wolfsbane. Huh.

Yeah he's basically a college student building a supercomputer in his dorm room in Wolfsbane (released in 2018, dunno how that lines up with Rowboat getting rezzed), it's fun. I have no context for hating Cawl, and as such I like him.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The key to understanding the Admech is that they are all, to a man/woman/being that has transcended gender, MASSIVE hypocrites

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Black Griffon posted:

It does work with the whole "the Emperor was trying to turn the human race into some sort of psychic successor race" in that the Imperium is now chewing through what psykers it can find as part of its war-machine as sanctioned psykers, logistics as interstellar windshield-wipers, and feeding them to the Golden Throne. Whoever is sitting on it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Had a silly thought about volume 3:

What if the timelocked moment of the siege has actually locked the throneroom in for ten thousand years and the rift opening is the consequence of Horus dying and the Emperor finally making it back to replace Malcador on the throne.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

in principle the admech can invent stuff and are in fact encouraged to, as long as it is based on principles of science revealed by the divine omnissiah and laid down by previous generations. in practice this is observed to a greater or lesser extent, but even magi who want to push the boundaries of science are hamstrung by the need to root, or at least justify, all innovations in divine revelation.

there’s a very cool discussion of this in The Inheritor King. an adept is sent to evaluate some wrecked Heritor Asphodel woe machines, particularly the superheavy Inheritor King. throughout the story it’s hinted at that he’s seeking some deep and horrible truth so significant it’s been hidden in a secret part of his mind. eventually the King, which is apparently sentient, takes him over, only for him to turn the tables and explain the nature of his mission to it:

The admech believes that all inspiration comes from the omnissiah. Since chaos obviously has hereteks, and the omnissiah wouldn’t help them, their inspiration comes from the warp instead: equal and opposite. But asphodel’s work is different. The awful, blasphemous truth, so dangerous that it must be hidden from all but the very most senior magi, is that he didn’t learn how to build his machines from the whispering of the warp: he figured it out by himself.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Unless they retconned it there's also a complete STC library just like, sitting on an imperial held planet that has some weird order of monks keeping it a secret.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Telsa Cola posted:

Unless they retconned it there's also a complete STC library just like, sitting on an imperial held planet that has some weird order of monks keeping it a secret.

The Leagues of Votann have actual working STC builders which is a step beyond even that and pretty much their entire society is devoted to making sure the Imperium never finds out

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Telsa Cola posted:

Several Ark Mechanicus are rumored to have an STC in them also, but theyre so deeply buried in the structure nobody but a few servitors knows about them. It's possible ALL of them do.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Deep in the depths of Mars is a portal to a chaos free realm and that's why no one ever returns. Why would they?

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
I wonder if there’s anyone else from 30k that we know as part of Cawl’s gestalt…thing. Does he eat Arkhan Land? Is Valdor actually NOT the king in yellow, he’s a brain in Cawl’s backpack? Could be anybody, the dumber the better.

(I hope he does not eat Arkhan Land, I would love a horror/scouring novel about him finding something terrifying in a vault somewhere)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
My theory is Bastillo Fo is Crawl or at least all the important parts of him.