Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Where do you buy the replacement fuses nowadays?

Our rental apartment five years ago still had plug in fuses, and the local hardware store absolutely stocked them.

(Of course, when I actually looked in the fuse box, pretty much all the circuits had 30A fuses in them, when they should have been 15A...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah every apartment I've lived in had a little fuse box in the closet or something. I had to explain to the landlord though how fuses worked. He said years ago he "upgraded" the fuses to more powerful ones because the older weaker fuses kept tripping...

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
My house still has a fuse box. The local hardware store has plenty of different kinds. When I moved in I had to replace a bunch of 20 amp fuses with the proper GP15.

Replacing the fuse box with a breaker box is pretty high on my to-do list. I also need to put in a 20 amp circuit into my garage, because when it gets cold my air compressor pops the 15 amp fuse every loving time.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
My breaker box and wiring are all OG 1947 (except some romex that I ran) and the only saving grace is that no one messed with it for all that time. Hoping to have the budget to re-wire the whole house this summer with my dads help since he's an electrician cause my 70 amp service is maxed and I am concerned about the age of everything.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Playing through Alan Wake 2 and these creepy cabins all really should be brought up to modern standards. I don't really trust the building codes in the dark place.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Been a while since we had a new thread title.

Crappy Construction: the Four POs of the Housepocalypse

?

Seconded.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

“These homeowners were out of town when their pool service technician left the water running. As a result, the pool overflowed and contributed to the failure of this deck.”

O.K. but like, this is totally the fault of the deck builders. A good rain was going to bring that sucker down.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 15, 2023

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Where did you find pictures of the settlements I build in fallout 4?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You can't even buy a 4X4 that long, how is that put together?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Woah my old neighbours have a deck now?

At least they were at the back so you weren't sitting directly next to a pile of junk and garbage when you were outside, but otoh they did like to pile it up and burn it every now and again....

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

What are the odds of that thing holding the hot-tub at the top there? Being properly braced or whatever it required to hold however many tons of water that is. The failure would be rather impressive.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Dunno-Lars posted:

What are the odds of that thing holding the hot-tub at the top there? Being properly braced or whatever it required to hold however many tons of water that is. The failure would be rather impressive.

I think there actually is one if you zoom in. It's just got the cover on.

It all looks well made though, just....not supported except via cantilevers and god knows what's on the other end of those.

e: ok the second and third floors are supported by the roof below. There are no cantilevers. The first maybe is I can't tell.

Also love the ground floor entrance perpetually shrouded in darkness.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Nov 15, 2023

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Dunno-Lars posted:

Imagine when even the tiniest earthquake happens.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 15, 2023

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

these decks are upsetting

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

I have nightmares that start with decks like that only they keep going up floor by floor endlessly each new floor more wobbly and sketchy than the one below.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Imagine when even the tiniest earthquake happens.

West Coaster spotted!

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Our rental apartment five years ago still had plug in fuses, and the local hardware store absolutely stocked them.

(Of course, when I actually looked in the fuse box, pretty much all the circuits had 30A fuses in them, when they should have been 15A...)

Lol this was my exact experience living in an apartment building from 1900 or so. I kept blowing the fuse to my apartment, and when I brought home a replacement from the hardware store, i discovered the fuses to all the other units were jacked up like this.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

I mean, that's actually almost entirely within code? If that's a 2x12, max notch allowed is 1-7/8" deep by 3-3/4 wide, a 2.5" hole isn't that much bigger.

Metwood even makes 'the plumber was an rear end in a top hat' joist repair straps and splice plates.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Goddam, that place sells reinforcements for notched I joists.

:females: collectively shed a tear as they realize the bathroom that could have been.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I mean, that's actually almost entirely within code? If that's a 2x12, max notch allowed is 1-7/8" deep by 3-3/4 wide, a 2.5" hole isn't that much bigger.

Metwood even makes 'the plumber was an rear end in a top hat' joist repair straps and splice plates.

Aw, I was hoping it actually had that printed on the joist.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Yes. But why is it in the joists at all? Why not below the joists?

Jows
May 8, 2002

AveMachina posted:

Pee is stored in the walls

Crappy Construction: Pee is stored in the walls

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
https://i.imgur.com/jBAKh9Q.mp4

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
poor froggies, hope they found a better place to stay

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

:frogout:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

STRAYA

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

What the gently caress are you growing in your toilet tank that would feed that many frogs?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Deteriorata posted:

What the gently caress are you growing in your toilet tank that would feed that many frogs?

That was my first thought... "the gently caress is feeding all them frogs?"

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

What the gently caress are you growing in your toilet tank that you would feed that many frogs?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Flipperwaldt posted:

What the gently caress are you growing in your toilet tank that you would feed that many frogs?

Mosquitoes?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I figured they wouldn't be interested in cold blooded animals, but it turns out that is wrong. I was thinking some sort of toilet snake or something. I don't actually know what animals eat frogs.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
I will find my frog

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The question I have is did they all develop there from tadpoles into grown frogs, in which case there's something for the tadpoles to eat, or did adult frogs invade the loo looking for food? Or are they all there just to have sex?

e: other cause I can think of is that they escaped from someone's terrarium and found the second next place.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

so that's where wednesdays come from

my dudes

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

Probably just needed a "pond" to hang out in during the dry season... I'm also guessing that toilet was in a shed outdoors somewhere.

For new content, here's under the kitchen sink at the place I'm currently renting. I'm sure this is all safe, legal and up to code, right?

... right?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Deteriorata posted:

Frogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Probably just needed a "pond" to hang out in during the dry season... I'm also guessing that toilet was in a shed outdoors somewhere.

For new content, here's under the kitchen sink at the place I'm currently renting. I'm sure this is all safe, legal and up to code, right?

... right?

Is that AC adapter for under cabinet lights or something?