Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

The Chairman posted:

I think I'd go with printing the spacers separately; you can make a little indent to seat them in but don't have to worry about them coming loose, since they'll be held in place by the compression of the screws
What he said, and also if you are willing to do a bit of extra cutting after it's printed, you can make a 1 layer thick 'bridge' layer underneath all those holes on that extruded face.
that way the slicer can make a continuous bridge under all those holes, and you can skip out on a ton of supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Perfect, thanks. I was halfway there.. I had it in my head if I deleted the spacers I'd have to go buy some risers. Clearly I am not yet thinking in terms of I can make whatever the hell I want.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Any good black Friday deals for printers in the sub 400 price range?

I know about the bambu sale but that's out of my range. I did see a creality ender 5 s1 that's a speedy printer for 335 on Amazon. There's a creality k1 for 419 on Amazon as well.

Just wondering what a good quick plug and play printer would be.

If you want a plug and play printer save up a little extra and get the Bambu A1 not on sale for $500. If you’re looking for the shortest possible time from opening the box to having quality prints reliably, Bambu kinda blows everyone else out of the water and the AMS is killer.

If you really can’t wait, get a Sovol SV06, they’re like $200. I don’t think there’s really anything on the market between that and the A1 that’s worth it.

(This is all assuming FDM, I know very little about resin)

Edit: I forgot you can get the A1 without the AMS lite for $300, but it doesn’t look like the AMS lite is available as an accessory yet so I’d maybe hold off on going that route.

Arcsech fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 18, 2023

smax
Nov 9, 2009

FYI, for those of you with a Micro Center nearby:

It looks like they're having a sale on PLA/PLA+, where everything is $14.99. Even the fancy stuff that's $30+ like CF-PLA and the fancier shimmer/color change/multi-color stuff.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Arcsech posted:

If you really can’t wait, get a Sovol SV06, they’re like $200. I don’t think there’s really anything on the market between that and the A1 that’s worth it.
I was looking at this as well as the Elegoo Neptune 3 and Anycubic Kobra, but it looks like the SV06 has the best reviews.

Is it worth spending an extra $70 for the SV06 Klipper version?

(edit: switching my answer to the Neptune 3 because it seems to be better at printing TPU and that sounds interesting)

Captain Cool fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Nov 21, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've heard rumors of the sv07 has a lovely board and people are having issues with klipper crashing on it. You're better off doing your own klipper implementation.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Nov 19, 2023

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Acid Reflux posted:

I have all three Bambu printers burning through Fab365's new Star Destroyer that they released this morning. The print time estimates on their web site put the whole thing at ~130 hours... but pretty sure I'm looking at having a complete model by tomorrow afternoon. This does not suck one bit.

https://fab365.net/items/505

It's a free download if you have 'tickets' from them, which you earn by buying any of their other paid models. I've never regretted buying any of their stuff, it's all pretty much loving brilliant. I wish I had the kind of brain that designs this stuff.
Grabbed 2 paid and 3 free models, so thanks for this.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Busted a gently caress it and bought the k1 max. Best buy has a pretty decent deal on it plus it's returnable until Jan 13.

Keeping my fingers crossed it works out well. That's a bigass box to have to lug in to the store for a return.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Busted a gently caress it and bought the k1 max. Best buy has a pretty decent deal on it plus it's returnable until Jan 13.

Keeping my fingers crossed it works out well. That's a bigass box to have to lug in to the store for a return.

I think they tweaked a lot of the stuff that made the K1 a bit more finicky of a machine in the Max (I think the Max has the fixed extruder for example), so it should serve you well. I still like my normal K1, do wish I got the Max edition for the bigger build volume at times. Alas, well past return time

But anyway it's a pretty competent set of printers now that you can root them and get them on good BF deals

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I wish there was a bigger build volume P1S, I’d have bought one by now and replaced the voron. If I buy a P1S without selling the voron she would probably kill me. But I like the extra 50mm of each dimension (300mm cube vs 256mm cube), it’s just enough to fit an extra gridfinity spot on, which happens to be exactly what some drawers need to fit properly.

Does the K1 max really compare that closely, and have an AMS equivalent?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen anything about any sort of addon stuff.

I mainly just decided I'm gonna have to batch print some stuff so I might as well make it faster and easier on me.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

been loving printing ww2 stuff in fdm, have a stug

bunch of pieces i need to glue on and stuff but man, really happy with that, .16 print and it came out super nice printed vertically

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

tater_salad posted:

I've heard rumors of the sv07 has a lovely board and people are having issues with klipper crashing on it. You're better off doing your own klipper implementation.

I've had an SV07 for 2 months now. I like it. So far my only complaint is that the fan in the head is going out already. The board seems fine. It likes to corrupt USB drives, but that's it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
How fast have you tried printing? I'm just concerned at high speeds the wobble factor of tall prints is gonna be bad.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
This is pretty neat, Makerworld's got a new feature for making simple signs and tags: https://makerworld.com/en/makerlab/makeMySign

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Chairman posted:

This is pretty neat, Makerworld's got a new feature for making simple signs and tags: https://makerworld.com/en/makerlab/makeMySign

Awesome. I’ve been waiting for something like this so I don’t have to mess with parametric modeling tools.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

omg this is amazing! it has alignment guides and everything

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

By the way, does anyone have any thoughts about how a X1 might deal with being out on a glassed in balcony? (Southwestern coast, norway. Mild, rainy, kinda humid.)
My new apartment has a glassed in balcony, making it sheltered from wind/rain, but less insulated than a normal garage might be.
(Other units have normal livingroom furniture on theirs, but I'm unsure if they have better windows installed with additional insulation and etc, as it was an optional upgrade ages ago.)
I won't know if there's condensate/dew and etc there in the mornings until I've moved in and can observe a bit later this winter, but I was thinking about maybe moving my X1 out onto the balcony to save some space in the apartment proper.

It would be neat if I could have it there to save on space and noise, though it would be pretty cold to pop out there and stare at ongoing prints in the winter. I know printers in garages are a 3d-printing classic, but I guess this is more akin to a partially insulated shed.

e: The sign/tag maker seems neat, a shame it doesn't seem to support custom fonts. (Not a huge issue, text2Stl covers that base, even though it means doing some model tweaking to insert it. )
(A couple of the HR ladies at work really like the signs/indicators I print for them, but the head honcho lady insists that stuff be in the company style / specific font and etc, when used facing customers and etc.)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've gotten my new K1 extruder in, did the swap in about 10 minutes and we've loaded the grey PETG it was bitchy about into it. I've verified as best I can that it is not tangled (it is not nearly as neatly wound on the spool as Prusament is).

Didn't get a photo but the gears were uh... not super well aligned on the original extruder

Let's see how much better the new one is

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Nov 19, 2023

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

SubNat posted:

By the way, does anyone have any thoughts about how a X1 might deal with being out on a glassed in balcony? (Southwestern coast, norway. Mild, rainy, kinda humid.)
My new apartment has a glassed in balcony, making it sheltered from wind/rain, but less insulated than a normal garage might be.
(Other units have normal livingroom furniture on theirs, but I'm unsure if they have better windows installed with additional insulation and etc, as it was an optional upgrade ages ago.)
I won't know if there's condensate/dew and etc there in the mornings until I've moved in and can observe a bit later this winter, but I was thinking about maybe moving my X1 out onto the balcony to save some space in the apartment proper.

It would be neat if I could have it there to save on space and noise, though it would be pretty cold to pop out there and stare at ongoing prints in the winter. I know printers in garages are a 3d-printing classic, but I guess this is more akin to a partially insulated shed.

I've seen a bunch of people say that their X1 prints fine in ambient temperatures around 10°C, so I imagine it'd be fine to use out there. Condensation on windows is because of the temperature differential between warm indoor air and cold glass, so it shouldn't impact the printer, though if your indoor air is especially humid you'll need to be careful about how you store filament

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
I bought an ender 3 pro like 2 years ago just finally put it together and set up a print. Excited to print some upgrades for it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Do I need any accessories or extra plates with my x1c?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Deviant posted:

Do I need any accessories or extra plates with my x1c?

Nozzle wise not really. It already has the hardened steel gears and hotend so it's abrasive filament ready. For plates, maybe the textured PEI, I really like it on the P1S. Bambu recommends using gluestick on the included plates I believe. Don't really need it on the textured PEI.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Textured PEI plate if you want to have a much better time with PETG

Don’t think it matters if it’s the Bambu brand or not as long as it comes with the little ID stickers

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

they really recommend i slather glue on a $1300 printer to make my poo poo stick? this loving hobby.

i will not put fuckin children's sludge on my machines no matter what anyone says.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Deviant posted:

i will not put fuckin children's sludge on my machines no matter what anyone says.
Then buy the adult sludge, it comes in a fancy applicator and everything.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

That is such a stupid take, but whatever.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

I'm the one who has to clean it up after each print, and my Prusa doesn't need it, so why does this supposedly high end machine require it?

I don't cover my bed in painter's tape either. These are band-aids for things not working right.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Why would you clean it? I don't apply it before every print, only occasionally. Adhesion has been awesome.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Scarodactyl posted:

Why would you clean it?

Maybe I'm vastly misunderstanding the process, you intend to tell me I'm supposed to just leave a layer of dry glue on my machine ad infinitum?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Why not? It's an occasional surface treatment. I might apply it after doing one or two full build plate prints but otherwise I mostly just let it ride.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have never used glue except when I "just want it to work" or in extreme parts cases.

Long flat abs parts? Sure, but I also ended up tweaking the part cooler settings.

I also added brims and adjusted other temps. With a properly clean plate, I printed 3mm coins edge on coming up from the plate. You can do it

Both smooth and textured. Keep in mind bambu builds in a .4 smoosh on the textured plate to account for it after calibration

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Deviant posted:

I'm the one who has to clean it up after each print, and my Prusa doesn't need it, so why does this supposedly high end machine require it?

I don't cover my bed in painter's tape either. These are band-aids for things not working right.

You need to clean it occasionally. Not anymore than you would need to clean any other print surface and it takes no longer to clean. The glue comes off readily with soap and hot water.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Yeah I usually use the bambu glue when im doing some small parts. It goes on clear and basically is invisible once it dries

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Glue sucks, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Very specific filament/build surface combinations require it. Other than those circumstances, glue is not worth the mess.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Glue sucks, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Very specific filament/build surface combinations require it. Other than those circumstances, glue is not worth the mess.

Their website makes it sound like the 'speficic combination' is 'PLA' and 'the plate it ships with'. But maybe I'm confused and or being dramatic.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Good to have glue and a spare plate when you encounter a filament that wants to permanently bond with PEI

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Deviant posted:

Their website makes it sound like the 'speficic combination' is 'PLA' and 'the plate it ships with'. But maybe I'm confused and or being dramatic.

If that's true, I concur that's a dumb thing in TYOL 2023. PLA bed adhesion without additives is a solved problem.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Glue for PLA in 2023 is a joke. What lovely printer ships with that as a solution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

hark posted:

I bought an ender 3 pro like 2 years ago just finally put it together and set up a print. Excited to print some upgrades for it.

You want to print a satsana cooling duct. They don't need ANY supports. I'd avoid almost every other "upgrade". Maybe a filament guide? mount your spool holder "facing front" as that provides a more consistent filament path, though draggier. When you tension the belts, throw a allen key inside the bracket and use that to hold tension while you're doing up the X and Y belts.