Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Aggro posted:

Authors that I've really enjoyed, in no particular order: Ann Leckie, Anthony Ryan, Brandon Sanderson, Brent Weeks, Brian McClellan, Brian Staveley, Daniel O'Malley, Django Wexler, Joe Abercrombie, John Gwynne, Kameron Hurley, Mark Lawrence, Michael J. Sullivan (although honestly, each book has been worse than the last), N.K. Jemisin, Nicholas Eames, Richard Morgan (A Land Fit for Heroes), Richard Swan, Robert Jackson Bennett, Robin Hobb, and Sam Sykes, Scott Lynch.

You can't fool me, it is in a particular order and the order is alphabetical by first name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Aggro posted:

It's been a long time since I've asked for recommendations, but I have somehow managed to burn through my entire backlog.

Authors that I've really enjoyed, in no particular order: Ann Leckie, Anthony Ryan, Brandon Sanderson, Brent Weeks, Brian McClellan, Brian Staveley, Daniel O'Malley, Django Wexler, Joe Abercrombie, John Gwynne, Kameron Hurley, Mark Lawrence, Michael J. Sullivan (although honestly, each book has been worse than the last), N.K. Jemisin, Nicholas Eames, Richard Morgan (A Land Fit for Heroes), Richard Swan, Robert Jackson Bennett, Robin Hobb, and Sam Sykes, Scott Lynch.

Recent series that I absolutely loved were Sykes' Grave of Empires, Bennett's Divine Cities, Jemisin's Broken Earth, and Ryan's Covenant of Steel. I'm really not sure what those have in common other than a strong central protagonist and a feeling that their actions will have profound, world-changing consequences. On the other hand, The Lies of Locke Lamora is also a lovely book and has none of that. I asked some friends for recommendations, and they mostly recommended YA lit like [i[Fourth Wing[/i] which really doesn't sound like my jam.

I'm sure there's a lot of classic fantasy that I've overlooked as well, though I read Gene Wolfe and Glen Cook in high school, and I find it more enjoyable to follow modern authors and anticipate the release of new novels. So, if anyone's got some cool poo poo from the last 10-20 years that I've missed, hit me.

Murderbot?

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds
Alexandra Rowland's A Conspiracy of Truths was pretty great, and I don't think I've seen it mentioned here before. Has a bit of a KJ Parker vibe. You'd also probably like Max Gladstone's Craft Sequence based on your list (though I'm not as much of a fan of his other works), a plus to those is that the first couple work as stand alone books. Finally check out Aliette de Boudard's Obsidian and Blood series - urban fantasy/mystery, but the city is Tenochtitlan, the capital of the Aztec Empire circa 1480, which I've never seen used as a fantasy setting before. An added benefit is that the current ebooks have a nice essay at the back where de Boudard talks about her process for writing the series, and where she includes a reading list if you want to learn more about Aztec history.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Alastair Reynolds is my guy. House of Suns is his standout.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Aggro posted:

It's been a long time since I've asked for recommendations, but I have somehow managed to burn through my entire backlog.

Recent series that I absolutely loved were Sykes' Grave of Empires, Bennett's Divine Cities, Jemisin's Broken Earth, and Ryan's Covenant of Steel. I'm really not sure what those have in common other than a strong central protagonist and a feeling that their actions will have profound, world-changing consequences. On the other hand, The Lies of Locke Lamora is also a lovely book and has none of that. I asked some friends for recommendations, and they mostly recommended YA lit like [i[Fourth Wing[/i] which really doesn't sound like my jam.

I'm sure there's a lot of classic fantasy that I've overlooked as well, though I read Gene Wolfe and Glen Cook in high school, and I find it more enjoyable to follow modern authors and anticipate the release of new novels. So, if anyone's got some cool poo poo from the last 10-20 years that I've missed, hit me.

Buy my book

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Buy his books

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

FPyat posted:

Been on a bit of a Reynolds bender lately. I recently read two of his books in the Revelation Space periphery (Chasm City and The Prefect) and really enjoyed them. Also Pushing Ice which was very neat, and strangely a book I bounced off a couple of years ago but really dug this time around.

Anyone got any strong opinions on Inhibitor Phase? Seems like a lot of people kinda hate it? I liked most of it and thought it was interesting to get some more details on how the Inhibitors work, but I felt like it fizzled out a bit at the end, especially concerning the ultimate fate of the Nostalgia for Infinity.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 20, 2023

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

This! Baru is awesome.

Buy my book too.

Edit: Actually, buy all the goon books.

Leng fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 20, 2023

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I also recommend buying the Baru Cormorant books. As well as Christopher Buehlman's books like The Blacktongue Thief, Between Two Fires, and The Necromancers House (his other books are good too but more horror than fantasy.) And if you like Joe Abercombie you might also enjoy KJ Parker, especially The Engineer trilogy and The Folding Knife.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They are very good and you will like them (the flagrant shill Baru Cormorant)

Also Gideon the ninth and its two sequels, which are gene Wolfe levels of densely rereadable

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

FPyat posted:

He (almost) always fails the landing IMO, I've never finished one of his books feeling satisfied with the ending, mostly I've felt "huh, that's how it ended?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

I thought the ending of house of suns was fine although it's kind of similar to the ending of Contact (at least the movie; I haven't read the book)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's a fine ending I guess for a Reynolds book, always sorta bleak though. But ends much better than a lot of the inhibitor books were a lot of the plot is solved outside the story and we just get told what happened. And the overall end of the inhibitor books is really bleak.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Aggro posted:

I find it more enjoyable to follow modern authors and anticipate the release of new novels. So, if anyone's got some cool poo poo from the last 10-20 years that I've missed, hit me.

Coming back with a pile more that I've really enjoyed:
  • Fonda Lee - Green Bone Saga (3 books, complete) - 1980s-2000s epic urban family drama East Asian diaspora geopolitical fantasy about passing down legacy and tradition in the face of encroaching globalization with jade-powered martial arts magic
  • Janny Wurts - The Wars of Light and Shadow (11 books, preorder for vol 11 is up now; it releases end of May 2024) - two brothers with elemental powers of light and shadow save the world, but in the process drink from an enchanted fountain of longevity and are cursed to enmity by the evil they vanquished, which results in them tearing the freshly saved world to pieces in a centuries-long war (Janny Wurts thread here)
  • Helen Lowe - The Wall of Night (4 books, 4th in progress) - this is probably a bad pitch, but take the core premise of "a wall to stand against a long-forgotten evil" from A Song of Ice and Fire, cross it with a prose style that's somewhat reminiscent Lord of the Rings, but make the Chosen One a girl and have a diverse ensemble cast that's at least 50% women who are actual multi-faceted complex characters instead of some archetype
  • J.V. Jones - Sword of Shadows (5 books, 4th in progress) - Chosen One orphan, but with prophesied evil powers that will unleash the apocalypse. If you liked Hobb, you will like this because drat, there are some real, brutal moments.
  • Tasha Suri - The Burning Kingdoms (3 books? 3rd in progress) - South Asian inspired fantasy about a princess on a vengeance quest to depose her brother, the emperor, and her hand maiden, a secret priestess of a religious sect that's been forbidden under the emperor's rule.
  • Tamsyn Muir - The Locked Tomb (4 books, 4th in progress) - near-ish future sci-fantasy locked room murder mystery with necromantic science in space. Each book is totally different from the others. If you have heard of this and cringed because of the meme-y reputation, I can confirm yes there are indeed memes but it is not, in fact, cringe because said memes are woven in very well. The writing is incredibly good. (Tamsyn Muir thread here - do NOT mouseover spoilers while in here, you have been warned)
  • Simon Jimenez - The Spear Cuts Through Water - this is extremely good and my favorite read of 2023. It defies my ability to pitch succinctly, so I'll stick with a line from the book: "This is a love story to its blade-dented bone."

If you like Mark Lawrence, one of the finalists for this year's Self-Published Fantasy Blog-Off is Daughter of the Beast by E C Greaves which is currently on my TBR. Author is a cool dude from NZ who cites Mark Lawrence as an inspiration, and the book apparently has zero humans—every character is apparently from Ukranian or Russian myth/folklore.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
House of Suns is... fine? I don't understand the love it sometimes gets here. It starts slow with minimal stakes and goes to great lengths to paint how even the stakes that do exist don't really matter because it's told on a scale of time that is so enormous that everything becomes nearly irrelevant except to the narrators.

And the central Crime at the heart of it is more or less an inverse Roko's Basilisk and it's so silly how little it could (or would) matter if you (or the characters) really stop(ed) to think about it.

Especially with the ending. Which neuters any urgency the book did manage to build up.

Not to drain the joy others found in it, just a dissenting viewpoint.

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 20, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rain Brain posted:

Alexandra Rowland's A Conspiracy of Truths was pretty great, and I don't think I've seen it mentioned here before. Has a bit of a KJ Parker vibe.
The sequel is also good and will flip your head around from the first book.

quote:

Obsidian and Blood series - urban fantasy/mystery, but the city is Tenochtitlan, the capital of the Aztec Empire circa 1480, which I've never seen used as a fantasy setting before. An added benefit is that the
An excellent SF book that is based on Aztec culture is A Memory of Empire. All about culture clash, culture shock, and realizing that you don't quite fit into either culture any more. Also about imperialism. The world building is first rate, the protagonist is fun to ride along with, the emotional and political stakes are both high.

The author is a Byzantine historian, and it shows.

E: if you like Ann Leckie, you owe it to yourself to try Martha Wells's Murderbot novels. It has the same alien viewpoint going on. Murderbot is acculturated to human society, but it is not a member.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 20, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

pradmer posted:

Piranesi by Susanna Clarke - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0865TSTWM/

The Blacktongue Thief by Christopher Buehlman - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GJQFFDX/

The Spare Man by Mary Robinette Kowal - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09CNDXYW3/

Three bangers - just finished The Spare Man, which I bought simply because it was grouped with the other two. And I couldn’t finish her series The Calculating Stars (although I do love The Thin Man movies, which absolutely inspired this one).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Aggro posted:

You'll probably enjoy thread fave Lois McMaster Bujold's World of Five Gods series

Have you read Le Guinn's Earthsea series? Or Le Guinn in general?

If you want an emerging talent to follow Gareth Hanrahan is very good. Another recommendation for Seth Dickinson as well.

Steven Erickson's Malazan series has a big gate of a first book but is well worth persisting through especially if you like profound world changing consequences.

None of that in Jack Vance's Dying Earth but it's a stone cold classic for a reason.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Nov 20, 2023

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Hello thread, I want to get back into contemporary sci-fi after not reading any for years and I’d like to get some recommendations. I was thinking about what specifically I felt like reading and it’s something like, a sprawling, epic space opera, with action, political intrigue, and potentially cosmic/apocalyptic stakes. Bonus points if there’s a well executed love story or star crossed thing going on. Even more bonus points if there are leftist political themes.

I don’t know if anything like that exists, but approximations are ok too. Also reading that back I realize I basically want the Macross anime but for adults and you know, well written.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Murderbot is indeed pretty good, but the pricing on it is ridiculous. They've been asking the same $15 new for everything from the novellas to the one full novel. It looks like 1-6 (of 7) are all in Kindle Unlimited right now, which would be my suggested way to go about it.

e - or a library! support your local library, if you have one.

Ceebees fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 20, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Macross is well written.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ceebees posted:

Murderbot is indeed pretty good, but the pricing on it is ridiculous. They've been asking the same $15 new for everything from the novellas to the one full novel. It looks like 1-6 are all in Kindle Unlimited right now, which would be my suggested way to go about it.

Get it from the library like an adult.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Macross is well written.

I actually agree, kind of, I mean I love it, but I’m looking for something with a less cartoony tone is maybe the more accurate way to put it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

nemesis_hub posted:

Hello thread, I want to get back into contemporary sci-fi after not reading any for years and I’d like to get some recommendations. I was thinking about what specifically I felt like reading and it’s something like, a sprawling, epic space opera, with action, political intrigue, and potentially cosmic/apocalyptic stakes. Bonus points if there’s a well executed love story or star crossed thing going on. Even more bonus points if there are leftist political themes.

I don’t know if anything like that exists, but approximations are ok too. Also reading that back I realize I basically want the Macross anime but for adults and you know, well written.

Artifact Space?

It's light. The protagonist is a bit of a Mary Sue but the author owns it. Slightly mil sci fi space opera. Lots of intrigue, action, and a bit of mystery/discovery.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Artifact Space?

It's light. The protagonist is a bit of a Mary Sue but the author owns it. Slightly mil sci fi space opera. Lots of intrigue, action, and a bit of mystery/discovery.

And if you like it, Cameron wrote exactly the same book but in a flintlocky fantasy setting 'masters and mages'

Plus his (fantasy) red knight series, his new bronze Age fantasy series, his (historical fiction) chivalry series...

Miles / Christian Cameron is a prolific writer.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

nemesis_hub posted:

How long were you out? And what have you already liked and read?

Bujold's Vorksogian series might tick a lot of boxes
Robert Reed's Great Ship series
David Zindell's Neverness
Stephen Baxter's stuff
Ken Macleod's stuff

Legend of Galactic Heroes was translated fairly recently

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 20, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is one of the few times I'd recommend the show over the books. The battle scenes and classical score add a lot of drama to what in text form is an intensely interesting but very dryly written series.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You should buy the novels anyways though because I want the Arslan and Tytania stuff translated.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ceebees posted:

Murderbot is indeed pretty good, but the pricing on it is ridiculous. They've been asking the same $15 new for everything from the novellas to the one full novel. It looks like 1-6 (of 7) are all in Kindle Unlimited right now, which would be my suggested way to go about it.

Back in 2020 Tor did a week-long promo where Mon Tues Wed Thurs there was a different Murderbot short available to download for free on the runup to the full book publishing, I mean they were OK but if I'd paid full whack for them I'd have been less enthusiastic.

Giragast
Oct 25, 2004
Inquire within about our potato famine!

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

House of Suns is... fine? I don't understand the love it sometimes gets here.

I had to stop after a few chapters, it seemed to stumble from one event to the next and felt the need to scale up figures without scaling the story with it.
Why have 1 ship when you can have 1000, why have 1000 years when you can have 1000000?
All while the characters were in constant state of confusion about what's happening around them. You don't last that long without having smarts, and the leads felt particularly provincial for being so self-sufficient for that long.

Maybe it got better, but I doubt it.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

House of Suns is... fine? I don't understand the love it sometimes gets here. It starts slow with minimal stakes and goes to great lengths to paint how even the stakes that do exist don't really matter because it's told on a scale of time that is so enormous that everything becomes nearly irrelevant except to the narrators.

Most of the plot events are whatever, it's the big fun spaceships and the excitement of the first space battle that gives me a positive appraisal of the book.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDTwO0TlwOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm surprised Exordia's release date has creeped up on us so quickly.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Giragast posted:

I had to stop after a few chapters, it seemed to stumble from one event to the next and felt the need to scale up figures without scaling the story with it.
Why have 1 ship when you can have 1000, why have 1000 years when you can have 1000000?
All while the characters were in constant state of confusion about what's happening around them. You don't last that long without having smarts, and the leads felt particularly provincial for being so self-sufficient for that long.

Maybe it got better, but I doubt it.

It did not.

Not judging anyone for liking it at all, it just didn't grab me and I agree with the spoilered bits.

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds

Arsenic Lupin posted:

An excellent SF book that is based on Aztec culture is A Memory of Empire. All about culture clash, culture shock, and realizing that you don't quite fit into either culture any more. Also about imperialism. The world building is first rate, the protagonist is fun to ride along with, the emotional and political stakes are both high.

Oh duh of course! I was the biggest shill for Memory, which was my favorite book the year it came out, and then the sequel deeply disappointed me to the point I'm not sure I'm going to read another of Martine's books (tho at least the cover for Rose House is cool). I tend to be a very accepting reader world-building/"realism" wise if the story and the characters grab me, but the whole translation plot line of Desolation Called Peace was stupid - in an empire with near endless resources I just could not buy in they'd let Mahit anywhere near that work, which she was sublimely unqualified to do. Also the not-Tribbles felt cheap even if they did look like kittens, and I'm a sucker for kittens.

Glad to hear that the sequel to Conspiracy is good - I'll be moving that up my too long To Read list.

Rain Brain fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 20, 2023

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Daughter of the Empire (Rfitwar: Empire #1) by Raymond E Feist and Janny Wurts - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TJH5XR/

Edgedancer (Stormlight Archive) by Brandon Sanderson - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C1LBM91V/

Starless by Jacqueline Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756JDH91/

The Mask of Apollo by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6V8/

The Legend of Eli Monpress series by Rachel Aaron
The Legend of Eli Monpress (#1-3) - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058ECNXU/
The Spirit War (#4) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SCS70A/
Spirit's End (#5) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007BGQ4P6/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ccs posted:

I also recommend buying the Baru Cormorant books. As well as Christopher Buehlman's books like The Blacktongue Thief, Between Two Fires, and The Necromancers House (his other books are good too but more horror than fantasy.) And if you like Joe Abercombie you might also enjoy KJ Parker, especially The Engineer trilogy and The Folding Knife.

folding knife is probably my favorite kj Parker, but the punchline to Prosper's Demon is easily the funniest thing he's ever written

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rain Brain posted:

Oh duh of course! I was the biggest shill for Memory, which was my favorite book the year it came out, and then the sequel deeply disappointed me to the point I'm not sure I'm going to read another of Martine's books (tho at least the cover for Rose House is cool).
I thought Rose House was very, very good, in a completely different way than the Empire books.

Nemesis_Hub, another thread favorite is the Locked Tomb series by Tamsyn Muir. Intergalactic intrigues powered by necromancy. Will flip your head sideways multiple times as you realize (or don't, in my case) what was really going on.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

pradmer posted:

Daughter of the Empire (Rfitwar: Empire #1) by Raymond E Feist and Janny Wurts - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073TJH5XR/

Edgedancer (Stormlight Archive) by Brandon Sanderson - $0.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C1LBM91V/

Starless by Jacqueline Carey - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756JDH91/

The Mask of Apollo by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6V8/

The Legend of Eli Monpress series by Rachel Aaron
The Legend of Eli Monpress (#1-3) - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058ECNXU/
The Spirit War (#4) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005SCS70A/
Spirit's End (#5) - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007BGQ4P6/

I just want to say, once again, how much I appreciate these posts and the money I have saved from them. SOOO, you get an AV! But I would like to crowd source it so folks, if you have benefitted from this daily book intel, please suggest a fitting av for Pradmer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

branedotorg posted:

And if you like it, Cameron wrote exactly the same book but in a flintlocky fantasy setting 'masters and mages'

Plus his (fantasy) red knight series, his new bronze Age fantasy series, his (historical fiction) chivalry series...

Miles / Christian Cameron is a prolific writer.

Lol true that.

I've just finished reading Against All Gods / Storming Heaven, and I feel like the writing in Storming Heaven suffered a bit, most likely due to him being busy on too many other loving projects (like the sequel to Artifact Space).

Like it's not top of the list or must-read or anything, but it scratches a particular itch.