Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Vandar posted:

It's a Rebuild.

(Evangelion did it first (or at least was the first major notable example of doing it in recent memory) with the Rebuild of Evangelion movies.

You could go back further with stuff like John Carpenter's The Thing or Airplane!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Anora posted:

You could go back further with stuff like John Carpenter's The Thing or Airplane!

Samovar posted:

Why reinvent the linguistic wheel? An adaptation, surely.

That's not exactly what's happening in this series

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Samovar posted:

It's less an adaption of the comic/movie, and more a conversation with both.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

bunnyofdoom posted:

I keep saying it, and I will continue to say it, this is by far the most emotionally healthy bat family. Jason is explicitly in therapy, and they all agree it's a good thing. They are all really supportive of each other, have a really good dynamic. One of the big email threads is about Dick, Babs and Jason all talking about going to Gotham's pride parade to support Tim, and if they should go as civvies or in uniform.

Aw, that sounds really lovely.

Still, as far as Robins go, Tim's always gonna be bottom of the pile for me because he's so boring. Dick's obviously the GOAT, Damian's great and fun for everyone else to bounce off, Jason's flawed but interesting but Tim's just tedious beyond belief.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
We can’t be friends.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

‘Tim is boring’.

Modern Tim maybe because DC has hosed around with him for so long.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Tim had a solo title for like 150 issues.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Samovar posted:

Except in this case it’s not really a direct adaptation and instead more of its own story (meaning you’ll probably appreciate it a little more if you’ve read the comics or seen the movie beforehand)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's less an adaption of the comic/movie, and more a conversation with both.

The closest analogue I can think of would be the different versions of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. I think adaptation fits. Adaptations can be in conversation with their antecedents.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Technically it’s based on a series of graphic novels so here’s a teaser for Hilda Season 3 (which will be the end of the series and be dropping on Netflix next month):

https://youtube.com/watch?v=dsYhnDU438M

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Vandar posted:

‘Tim is boring’.

Modern Tim maybe because DC has hosed around with him for so long.

Tim needs a reinvention on the level of what Dick went through when Nightwing stopped being the guy who screamed at Batman about "NOT LIVING IN YOUR SHADOW, MAN!" every time they meet up. He can't be Robin anymore because that's Damian, even though Damian as Robin with Bruce as Batman kind of sucks.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Tim needs a reinvention

Aww yeah.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Ugh. "Drake" sucks so hard. Worse than Red Robin which was already pretty dire.

Honestly at this point, I'd kinda prefer they just have Tim retire or something if they're going to continue to misuse him and not know what to do with the character. But since they had him come out, it'd probably be bad PR to just shuffle him away.

There really was no need for a fourth Robin when Tim was still around and a perfectly viable candidate. He was never hated the way Jason was.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

X-O posted:

Aww yeah.

it's as if Nightwing somehow fused with the poop emoji

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

hiddenriverninja posted:

it's as if Nightwing somehow fused with the poop emoji

It wants to be Dick but it's pure rear end.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

It wants to be Dick but it's pure rear end.

Dick was already pure rear end.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly if I had to do something with Tim, I'd have him take over as Oracle. His entire thing was being the "smart" Robin and they insist on Babs being Batgirl so it would at least give him a distinct role.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
maybe he can get shot in the head and start going by jim

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

maybe he can get shot in the head and start going by jim

That's not a nickname for Timothy, he'd probably just start using his whole name, or does he have a middle name we know of?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Jimothy Interesting Drake.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

X-O posted:

Aww yeah.

Nanigans posted:

Ugh. "Drake" sucks so hard.

I legit don't know what's worse, the lovely suit or using the name Drake

"They should focus on him being just a detective" I say, then i look at Wikipedia and it says last year he had a solo that did that and some supervillain was obsessed with him and declared himself Tim's archnemesis. The villain's name? Moriarty.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I feel a little bad I couldn't tell you the name of Tim's boyfriend.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly if I had to do something with Tim, I'd have him take over as Oracle. His entire thing was being the "smart" Robin and they insist on Babs being Batgirl so it would at least give him a distinct role.

That's pretty good, yeah. Then he'd get the opportunity to remind everyone he can also fight and kick rear end every now and then and it'll actually feel special.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He's back to being Robin as of his most recent series unless that changed again after I dropped it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I liked the most recent series, but I'm biased because Tim is my favorite DC character. I'm just happy when they do anything with him these days after the dark times of the New 52.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I know it might be a hot take but I thought Tim's New 52 Red Robin suit was pretty good. Like, if Tim's niche among the Robins is supposed to be "he's the smart one", then yeah gently caress it, let him be the one that can whip up a loving wing suit and make the Robin name literal. We've all been accepting for years now that Batman can use his cape as a glider (that depending on the artist literally looks like bat wings), let Tim do the same. Now if you want to argue about whether the name Red Robin yummmm is stupid, I won't fight you there, it's not a hill I'm willing to die on.

But like, whatever, let him just be Robin. There are 2 Flashes, there are 2 Supermen, hell there are 3 Batgirls within the Bat-family (even though Barbara has mostly retired to Oracle duty nowadays), there's plenty of room for redundant heroes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I would welcome something akin to the Yost Red Robin run. Loved that series.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Tim's been the lead Robin in Zdarsky's Batman run so far.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Air Skwirl posted:

Dick was already pure rear end.

Despite losing a lot of its flare over the last season, I do appreciate Harley Quinn show's obsession over Dick's glutes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crisis on Infinite Earths is getting an animated adaptation apparently, here’s a trailer for the first part:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=oLAaMYwuM2o

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I just can't get enthused by stuff done in that style anymore. Brave and the Bold did it well because it had colour, character and clearly a lot of love poured into it (and I suspect still had a higher budget or time than these do) but all the animated movies for the last decade or so have had very muted palettes, dour plots, which obviously something like Crisis on Infinite Earths would have but it should also be bombastic and unashamedly comic booky and such. Like I can't imagine them doing the phantasmal Anti Monitor screaming out of a cloud in space that he's going to destroy everything and it being nearly as impactful as it was in the comics, where it was like... "holy poo poo, this guy just won't stop".

It'd need a Spider-verse level of craft to do it right imo and I'm not even a huge fan of the story, I just think it has a lot of cool visuals in it and if you're gonna do it, you should do it properly.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I thought warworld sucked. It just felt weird and disconnected and felt like they were just throwing stuff at the screen to see what would happen.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's a very bad trailer. Stiff shots, stilted voice acting, bad dialogue. This would instantly and obviously be a lot better if they just leaned into the 80s camp. Crisis on Infinite Earths opens with a crying elf doomed to watch the worlds die, heroic Lex Luthor in a multicoloured supersuit, and King Solivar of Gorilla City. It's big, it's loud, it's melodramatic, it's comic books. This looks embarrassed to be what it is.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Looks like WB got that video blocked, at least in America.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Air Skwirl posted:

Looks like WB got that video blocked, at least in America.

I agree this doesn’t look great but if anyone still wants to see it here’s a Twitter link:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1727350567452967262

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Larryb posted:

I agree this doesn’t look great but if anyone still wants to see it here’s a Twitter link:

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1727350567452967262

That is really loving dire looking, even compared to previous DC cartoons I think look like poo poo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Indeed, and apparently we’re in for 3 parts worth of this garbage

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
It feels like DC is going, "Oh poo poo. Spider-Verse is popular! Marvel is doing Multiverse! We've done multiverse stuff! Throw it into production! Three Parts!"

Their straight to streaming/dvd movies have been.. incredibly mediocre.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't believe you would say that about cinematic masterpiece the Snyder cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
That trailer just makes me want to go back and watch crisis on two earth instead.

The final scene between Batman and James Woods's Owlman is still amazing.