Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

"Takes influence from" and "is a remake of" are pretty far apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
They are but when the director who blatantly has a pile of inspiration and reference in all of his movies makes one that's so similar to Stepford Wives and says it himself as the movie that inspired his movie that it's not exactly an out of pocket remark here people

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Every horror film is “just” a remake of The Castle of Otranto and honestly it’s sickening

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I bet I could get Peele in here and say thats what Get Out was based on and you people would still argue with him

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Doltos posted:

I bet I could get Peele in here and say thats what Get Out was based on and you people would still argue with him

Nobody is arguing that it’s not inspired by it, it’s the fact that your said it’s “just a remake”. As if it added nothing to the film it was inspired by.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

*director talks about his inspirations* wow. He just went full mask off and admitted it. What a hack

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

WeaponX posted:

Nobody is arguing that it’s not inspired by it, it’s the fact that your said it’s “just a remake”. As if it added nothing to the film it was inspired by.

My bad then, not my intent. I think Get Out was a very good film just not incredible or amazing or anything that special considering I've seen body snatcher films before and social awareness horror.

Doltos posted:

Yeah what I like about him is he rips stuff but it does seem to come from a place of tribute rather than hackery. It's nice to have directors be passionate about the genre instead of just showing up for a quick buck or movie credit.

Martman posted:

*director talks about his inspirations* wow. He just went full mask off and admitted it. What a hack

Cmon man.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yes ok, I missed that. But clearly there's a reason people are having a strong reaction to calling a movie "just a remake of x" while acting like you're just talking about the concept of inspiration. It is hard to separate that language from accusations of hackery

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Martman posted:

Yes ok, I missed that. But clearly there's a reason people are having a strong reaction to calling a movie "just a remake of x" while acting like you're just talking about the concept of inspiration. It is hard to separate that language from accusations of hackery

Yeah thats my bad I use flowery language and am a passionate typer

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Tomie Re-birth
This is my favourite Tomie so far. There's no mystery, Tomie just shows up in some people's lives and is a horrible poison.
This is exactly what I want from a Tomie adaptation. Let her be pure evil. Let he act like she knows what she is.
She's so menacing in this movie, and without even having a weapon. She just is in front of someone and they know they're hosed.
I like that it also explored a couple ideas of what Tomie can do to women. It's cool, she doesn't have the power to attract women but she sure can manipulate them to get what she wants.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Nbd I just thought it was funny. On the other hand I will say "joker is just a remake of the king of comedy" all day and, yes, it absolutely means Todd Phillips is a hack

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If you think about it The VVitch is just a remake of the three little pigs

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Doltos posted:

My bad then, not my intent. I think Get Out was a very good film just not incredible or amazing or anything that special considering I've seen body snatcher films before and social awareness horror.

Not gonna pile on I just strongly disagree with you on pretty much every point here. It’s ok if you weren’t blown away, just think it’s a mischaracterization to say it’s purely a remake of any of its, albeit obvious, inspirations.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
That's okay that's what's fun about horror :)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

enjoying people here discovering the films of Satoshi Kon, he was probably a genius

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

alf_pogs posted:

enjoying people here discovering the films of Satoshi Kon, he was probably a genius

No probably about it. As much as he is lauded, he probably still doesn't have the recognition he deserves.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Doltos posted:

I really don't trust in Peele after the Twilight Zone fiasco and Us. Nope was okay but it's kind of meandering and he straight stole the digestion scene from another horror that I think was an old creep show but I have to remember. Get Out was really good but it's just a stepford wives remake. He doesn't quite have the 'I trust in anything he does' yet and prob needs an editor.

Edit: He's awesome at cinematography and he gets a lot out of his actors. I just think the stories are weak and the pacing is bad sometimes. Especially in the Twilight Zone remake.

He is, arguably, one of the best directors in horror, in the original sense of the word: the person who directs the actors. He gets fantastic performances out of his actors... but Nope definitely needed heavier hand in the cutting room. It has very strong moments and some lulls that don't do much to ease, maintain, or create tension. It feels like it meanders a little before remembering what it wanted to do.

I'm being overly critical but (much like Barbarian) there's a better film in there.

TitusGroen fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 20, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Martman posted:

People react strongly to reductionism if they’re too emotionally invested in whatever’s being reductioned.

I’d say Get Out is about 2nd racism if I could.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

TitusGroen posted:

He is, arguably, on the best directors in horror, in the original sense of the word: the person who directs the actors. He gets fantastic performances out of his actors... but Nope definitely needed heavier hand in the cutting room. It has very strong moments and some lulls that don't do much to ease, maintain, or create tension. It feels like it meanders a little before remembering what it wanted to do.

I'm being overly critical but (much like Barbarian) there's a better film in there.

I agree with all of this. Same thing would happen in the Twilight Zone episodes where everything was on point except for the story and pacing.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

A CBS/Paramount Plus series being a mismanaged mess is the least surprising thing in the world, I'm not sure how much of that falls on Peele and how much is behind the scenes nonsense. I never finished the series either way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He only wrote one episode and directed 0 fwiw

I hear nothing but bad things so I never watched it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It gets better in season 2 but season 1 was kind of a snoozefest

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve watched Nope so many times. It’s perfect. I love that every act it shifts genres and does something new.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

yeah Nope is easily my favourite Peele movie, it's definitely a bit indulgent and meandering but is so grand and entertaining to me on a scene to scene basis that I just don't mind at all. also the only one of his movies that actually spooked or unnerved me

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Nope would have been really cool if it was completely from the view point of Steven Yeun's character

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

alf_pogs posted:

yeah Nope is easily my favourite Peele movie, it's definitely a bit indulgent and meandering but is so grand and entertaining to me on a scene to scene basis that I just don't mind at all. also the only one of his movies that actually spooked or unnerved me

You know that might just be the best word to describe Nope: self-indulgent.

And when that lines up with a viewer's interests, it can be great. I know a lot of people thought Blade Runner 2049 was overly indulgent in visual spectacle and that is precisely why I love that movie.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

TitusGroen posted:

You know that might just be the best word to describe Nope: self-indulgent.

And when that lines up with a viewer's interests, it can be great. I know a lot of people thought Blade Runner 2049 was overly indulgent in visual spectacle and that is precisely why I love that movie.

Had those people seen the original Blade Runner? It’s not exactly restrained.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

The Wailing is a very pretty movie with good set design, performances (especially the child actor) and gore/effects, and it's all wasted on a nothing plot of garbage and mishmash twists and turns that add nothing, stretched out WAY too long, only to at the end say "Yep. It was the Japanese man, that was the source of all the problems in this Korean village." which is kind of a big :catstare: from me. That is my hot take, so now we can stop yelling at the idiot who thinks GET OUT is bad.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
If I had one problem with Perfect Blue - and it's not the movie's fault - it's that it was produced during the period of time where internet usage was rising and people wanted to do stories about it, but you couldn't count on your audience having heard of the internet yet, so you had to have little infodumps like "what is the web, what is an email" and for some reason I just couldn't with that poo poo when I watched it.

Rest of the film was great though, even prescient about doxxing

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Shrecknet posted:

it's all wasted on a nothing plot of garbage and mishmash twists and turns that add nothing, stretched out WAY too long, only to at the end say "Yep. It was the Japanese man, that was the source of all the problems in this Korean village." which is kind of a big :catstare: from me.

Considering history this is just the equivalent of a Indian movie having a British villain or a Congolese movie having a Belgian villain.

TitusGroen
Sep 30, 2021

I caught a YouTuber discussing his favorite horror flicks of last year and was rather irked to see he said Smile was the one he enjoyed most. loving SMILE?! It's so clearly an inferior version of It Follows that they announced a sequel to It Follows called They Follow, which is likely going to be dog water. Just for a cash grab because someone made a shittier but more successful version of your movie

Hollywood is the worst.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shrecknet posted:

Easily the worst movie I've ever seen from someone who was a 2nd Unit Camera Reloader on Tombstone

It wasn't until you said this that I realised Panos Cosmatos is a nepo baby.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Martman posted:

After the buzz around Saltburn I watched the trailer and it just looks like a hacky YA take on Gormenghast/Talented Mr Ripley to me, that's my hot take.

My less hot take is that we should get a proper Gormenghast adaptation, some really sumptuous horror-adjacent high gothic / high weird fantasy by del Toro or David Lowery.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
When Shudder’s Creepshow anthology first launched my partner was incredibly nonplussed by the first episode so we never ended up watching anymore. Until I needled them a few days ago because they were lamenting about not having something new like Tales from the Crypt to watch and I brought up that we had never given it another shot. Anyway now we’ve binged the entire series and the specials and it rules that is all.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

grobbo posted:

After the buzz around Saltburn I watched the trailer and it just looks like a hacky YA take on Gormenghast/Talented Mr Ripley to me, that's my hot take.

My less hot take is that we should get a proper Gormenghast adaptation, some really sumptuous horror-adjacent high gothic / high weird fantasy by del Toro or David Lowery.

How do you define “hacky here”?

Also I don’t think there is much critical buzz. It had a mixed reception and most critics thought it was worse than Promising Young Woman. I just personally loved it. Its tone/atmosphere appealed to me and Keoghan is someone I already felt was an up and comer and he did an amazing job.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 20, 2023

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Megasabin posted:

How do you define “hacky here”?

I guess I'd define hacky as 'successfully utilising / imitating a popular theme, genre, or story template, but doing so in a calculated and mercenary manner; potentially with a lot of style but without genuine love or fresh insight towards the material'? (So actually pretty much the same complaint that Ayesha Siddiqui has with Promising Young Woman as a rape-revenge thriller.)

But really glad you enjoyed it and I agree, Keoghan rocks.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jedit posted:

It wasn't until you said this that I realised Panos Cosmatos is a nepo baby.

Sure, and so is Jason Schwartzman. He's still good (at least 2 for 3 right now).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Baron von Eevl posted:

Sure, and so is Jason Schwartzman. He's still good (at least 2 for 3 right now).

Oh, sure, being a nepo baby doesn't automatically mean you're bad. Nicolas Cage is a nepo baby if we come to it. So are Christian Slater, Patrick Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis. But offhand I can't think of any nepo director who is better than their parent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I support more Cronenbergs just because we could always use more body horror.