Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Casey Finnigan posted:

so what is the story behind the diaper mudkip avatar I've been curious

someone gave it to me because I made fun of someone complaining about their avatar and wanting a mod to change it and I guess they assumed I would get mad at this one and want to change it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Jrbg posted:

Creating an alter ego to drive mel insane:

My literary escapism is _______ [swords and sandals/detective stories/Golden Age sci-fi/fantasy sagas/space opera/YA dystopia], this time mixed with the video game mechanics of ______ [Call of Duty/Pac-Man/Final Fantasy VII/Tetris/Skyrim/Solitaire on my grandparent's computer]

The literary classic I dismiss offhand is _____ [Moby-Dick/The Canterbury Tales/Gilgamesh/Journey to the West], because who cares about _____ [whales/the month of April/the city of Ur/a monkey]!!

Incidentally, the historical atrocity I know shockingly little about is ______ [Pol Pot's killing fields/the Black Death/the Irish potato famine/chattel slavery]

too long for a thread title

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I’ve seen some tremendous bursts of fury when I suggested to people that they could benefit from expanding the pool of books they read from outside flavor of the month bestsellers. “You can’t go around telling people they’re wrong to do what they enjoy. What is wrong with you?”

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
"let people enjoy things" is the mark of the hollow soul

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Heath posted:

"let people enjoy things" is the mark of the hollow soul

"let people enjoy things" always bothered me.

I have enjoyed plenty of things that suck, I just dont get super mad when people tell me they suck.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I have enjoyed plenty of things that suck, I just dont get super mad when people tell me they suck.

If someone can’t enjoy something because it was subjected to criticism they are a weakling unworthy of pleasure

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
big sign of mental weakness if you can't hear a criticism of a thing you enjoy and then laugh at the critics for being morons with no taste who have a childe's understanding of morality

e:fb

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It's almost always on behalf of someone else

The phrase isn't "let me enjoy things" because that would imply some kind of actual response to something you like being criticized and it doesn't allow you to take that kind of grandstanding moral principle-defending posture that "let people enjoy things" does

So when you can leap into a random thread or Twitter post or something because someone criticized a thing you like it allows you to deflect onto the abstract notion of "other people" and not actually have to face any criticism yourself and you get the satisfaction of defending "people"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Otoh they might be trying to say, politely, "gently caress off you judgemental snob who asked for your opinion anyway". Nobody likes being proselytized to, even if it's to save their immoral soul from eternity in hell fire.

But honestly what kind of intellectual engagement were you expecting from that resume?

(PS you need Jesus)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Otoh they might be trying to say, politely, "gently caress off you judgemental snob who asked for your opinion anyway". Nobody likes being proselytized to, even if it's to save their immoral soul from eternity in hell fire.

But honestly what kind of intellectual engagement were you expecting from that resume?

(PS you need Jesus)

you're a mod afaiac you are barely human

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

dont you have better things to do like ban someone for accidentally using an 18th century slur that offended someone with seven gang tags

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I enjoy all kinds of genre fiction, both trash and not-really-trash-but-still-not-literary-fiction, and I think important lessons in the human experience, the way we interact with each other, our wider societies, our environment, and our internal selves can be taken from trash media. I also think that plenty of very intelligent people put all their efforts into media that I think of as trash (probably including Warhammer, but I've never had even a little bit of an interest in it so I can't really say for certain). That said, yeah, if they're dismissing Marquez because "who cares about ice?" and using Hillbilly Elegy as an example of high-falutin' adult books, then these are probably not the brightest people you're dealing with and you may be wasting your time trying to get them to engage intellectually.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Look at this gollumpus

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

dont you have better things to do like ban someone for accidentally using an 18th century slur that offended someone with seven gang tags

Lol this seems oddly specific

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

stereobreadsticks posted:

I enjoy all kinds of genre fiction, both trash and not-really-trash-but-still-not-literary-fiction, and I think important lessons in the human experience, the way we interact with each other, our wider societies, our environment, and our internal selves can be taken from trash media. I also think that plenty of very intelligent people put all their efforts into media that I think of as trash (probably including Warhammer, but I've never had even a little bit of an interest in it so I can't really say for certain). That said, yeah, if they're dismissing Marquez because "who cares about ice?" and using Hillbilly Elegy as an example of high-falutin' adult books, then these are probably not the brightest people you're dealing with and you may be wasting your time trying to get them to engage intellectually.

did I mention the part where they said they thought the holocaust was invented for an isekai book they read until they they were in high school

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Bilirubin posted:

Lol this seems oddly specific

a hit dog hollers

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

let people hate things

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
read Švejk

and then read Pišt'anek's Rivers of Babylon as another cool book that's kinda similar

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't read works with Diacritical marks in the title, they frighten me.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
recently I read a book Sergio Pitol's essays and the chapter on the scatological humour in Švejk was longer than the one on Chekhov's stories

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
not a lot of jokes about people making GBS threads themselves in chekhov tbf

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've never poo poo myself, only poo.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I am somewhat intrigued by the argument that the novel as a form is inimical to tragedy, though I hesitate to wholly embrace it.

Terry Eagleton posted:

A tragic theatre bound up with the despotic absolutism, courtly intrigue, traditional feuds, rigid laws of kinship, codes of honour, cosmic-world-views and faith in destiny gives way to the more rational, hopeful, realist, pragmatic ideologies of the middle class. What rules now is less fate than human agency … The public realm of tragedy, with its high-pitched rhetoric and fateful economy, is abandoned for the privately consumed, more expansive, ironic, everyday language of prose fiction. And this … is certainly a loss: some critics, as Henri Peyre suggests, blame the death of tragedy on the novel, which “captured the essentials of tragic emotion, while diluting and often cheapening it.”

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was making GBS threads brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FPyat posted:

I am somewhat intrigued by the argument that the novel as a form is inimical to tragedy, though I hesitate to wholly embrace it.

I would say Against the Day and Gravity's Rainbow are both works that manage to fuse the epic and the tragic. I'd need more context to fully appreciate his position, but both works manage to use the small scale characters to show the disintegration of human society and the transcension of that chaos relying on the disconnection with system. I would think a scholar 300 years in the future would have a harder time distinguishing between GR and The Odyssey then one in modernity would assume.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
It's from his book Sweet Violence, which I am now interested in reading after seeing it quoted. I did indeed find the quote within a post by Adam Roberts built around
the thought that a novel might have to craft an entire society in decline and fall to express the tragic mode. https://medium.com/adams-notebook/some-dystopian-thoughts-454fa9665cb3

FPyat fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Nov 21, 2023

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
Tragedy always feels to me like such a slippery term, especially since it’s more modern, vastly more prevalent usage to mean “any story with a sad ending” is at least as legitimate now as the old-school technical definition - which I don’t think I’ve ever fully understood anyway. Maybe if I was better read in the Ancient Greeks…

Eagleton seems to be saying that tragedy necessarily:
-is heavily based in feudal or aristocratic social structures
-requires some kind of spiritual or “supernatural” understanding of the world and human affairs
-is publicly consumed by a large audience
-communicates in an elevated/unnatural/“poetic” way as opposed to what we’d think of as “realism”

Is that fair enough? (And by those criteria does Avengers: Endgame qualify???)

Without any further context, I wonder about those unnamed critics he quotes indirectly via Henry Peyre. If “real” tragedy is so bound up in despotism and courtly intrigues, could it be just snobbishness to suggest that the middle-class version “cheapens” it..?

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Theatre? For the masses? This Shakespeare fellow is cheapening the finer arts!

Novels? For the masses? These printing presses are cheapening the finer arts!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lobster Henry posted:

It’s not as good as ice-nine

we're up to ice 19 i think. also there are amorphous ices and a theoretical scenario in which ice becomes a metal. none of them do the vonnegut thing yet though

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Half-wit posted:

unfortunately this is the first time that any variation of the bulletproof argument “people only claim to prefer books that aren’t lovely because they are out of touch elitists who protest too much about their dislike of proletarian pleasures, and, plus, isn’t it good that people are at least reading something” has been presented in the 651 pages of this thread. apologies to the posters itt who have not already prepared themselves mentally for this eventuality and so i assume will succumb immediately to crises of personal identity that will result in madness or death

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Half-wit posted:

famous inventor of popular theater William Shakespeare

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tree Goat posted:

. apologies to the posters itt who have not already prepared themselves mentally for this eventuality and so i assume will succumb immediately to crises of personal identity that will result in madness or death

That's my secret I am always succumbing

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up she was making GBS threads brown water. The more she drank, the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew, and her thirst sent her crawling to the stream to suck up more water.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I rest my case

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
wb Mel

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

famous inventor of popular theater William Shakespeare

Not to mention that unpopular theatre is only unpopular because it sucks.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's my secret I am always succumbing

a little periodic succumbing to madness and crises of identity can be good for the soul. like a brisk walk along the sea shore

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

thehoodie posted:

Help I can't stop buying poetry.

This time it is Antipoems: New and Selected by Nicanor Parra

Here's a good one I read

Nicanor Parra, Memories Of Youth posted:

All I'm sure of is that I kept going back and forth,
Sometimes I bumped into trees,
Bumped into beggars,
I forced my way through a thicket of chairs and tables,
With my soul on a thread I watched the great leaves fall.
But the whole thing was useless,
At every turn I sank deeper into a sort of jelly;
People laughed at my fits,
The characters stirred in their armchairs like seaweed moved by the waves
And women looked at me with disgust
Dragging me up, dragging me down,
Making me cry and laugh against my will.

All this evoked in me a feeling of nausea
And a storm of incoherent sentences,
Threats, insults, pointless curses,
Also certain exhausting pelvic motions,
Macabre dances, that left me
Short of breath
Unable to raise my head for days
For nights.

I kept going back and forth, it's true,
My soul drifted through the streets
Calling for help, begging for a little tenderness,
With pencil and paper I went into cemeteries
Determined not to be fooled.
I went round and round the same fact,
I studied everything in minute detail
Or I tore out my hair in a tantrum.

And in this state I began my classroom career.
I heaved myself around literary gatherings like a man with a bullet wound.
Crossing the thresholds of private houses,
With my sharp tongue I tried to get the spectators to understand me,
They went on reading the paper
Or disappeared behind a taxi.

Then where could I go!
At that hour the shops were shut;
I thought of a slice of onion I'd seen during dinner
And of the abyss that separates us from the other abysses.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I read The Cantos and now I never want to see a piece of poetry again

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Gaius Marius posted:

I read The Cantos and now I never want to see a piece of poetry again

Read A by Louis Zukofsky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

This loving book is so bad it is spiritually toxic.

I am experiencing harm