Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

MetaJew posted:

Maybe a long shot, but does anyone in here own a Litter Robot 3-- and have experience with the rapidly-flashing Yellow Light error?

The issue first showed up for me a few weeks ago when I found the litter robot stuck in the empty-position with the light flashing rapidly. A quick debug said it was the pinch sensor. I pulled the globe and tray off and sure enough it looked pretty corroded and caked in litter. I cleaned it off as best as I could and it seemed to go back to normal.

Maybe 2 days ago I again found it in the empty position with the yellow light flashing rapidly. I initially thought about trying to clean up the contacts but they were heavily corroded, so instead I removed them and made a little metal jumper to short the two spade terminals.

This video talks about doing the same thing to permanently disable the pinch sensor.

Anyway, I shorted the terminals, reassembled everything, and I'm still getting the rapidly flashing yellow light, so I guess the problem must be somewhere in one of the control boards or something else.

One other issue I've had is related to the night light and/or plastic hoop. It seems that in the dark, when the LR3 would cycle it would intermittently stop. I had found people saying to turn off the night light and try again, and that seemed to fix the problem. I'm not sure if the issue there is the night light circuit board going bad, or just that the contacts to the roll hoop were not great. That problem hasn't returned since turning the night light off.

I had similar issues a bit ago. Pinch sensor wasnt bad but the pinch sensor plus full sensor kit is about $30 and the circuits for the full sensor are much more well designed to resist corrosion. Its probably worth your time to not fuss with it and just grab that kit.

https://www.litter-robot.com/lr3-pinch-contact-dfi-kit.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Fabulousity posted:

Anyways all four kitties are happy now.

Really glad to hear this! :3:

We just took our cats in for a routine vaccination update and the vet gave them another dewormer treatment, just as a precaution. No signs of worms so looks like we stamped them out.

In other news one of our cats (LICKY GIRL) started eating the ends of our corn broom, so we bought cat grass which she’s chomping on daily now. I still haven’t returned the confiscated broom to its previous home though. She hasn’t been vomiting anything up either way, idk what her deal is. :shrug: No signs of an impending hairball yet…

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I have domestic shorthair(but he has a lot of it!) rear end in a top hat who seems to just always be shedding no matter the time of year, and hair is everywhere in my house. I'm constantly vacuuming it up, sweeping, washing my clothes ,etc. I want to attack the problem at the source. What's the best type of brush I can buy that will do a good job of pulling out(and clumping up so it doesn't fly everywhere) hair? I had one brush a while back, it seems to have been lost but I don't really remember it doing a good job. I think it had like metal spikes or something similar. So I don't want to buy a random one and it not work well.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 19, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can use a furminator every couple weeks. If you overgroom with it it can irritate the skin and maybe damage their undercoat.

Options you can use daily is a traditional slicker/wire brush or an equigroomer. The wire brush is less effective but the hair gets stuck in the brush so it's a little easier to clean. The equigroomer will completely obliterate hair problems but the post brushing mess can be annoying. I usually let it build up around their rear and then wipe it away with a hand, it balls up pretty well.

If you do brush daily it's going to be a huge mess at first but after a couple weeks you'll notice the brush pulling out less hair. That means you've caught up and can probably do maintenance brushing every couple days.

Beyond that, it's a cat. They're engineered to endlessly produce hair.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Alrighty, I got a furminator(use sparingly) and an equigroomer(regular use). I don't expect to be 100% cat hair free, in fact I'm very loose on what I consider "clean enough" but the cat hair is just way out of control lately. If it helps a noticeable amount at all, I'll be happy.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Boogalo posted:

I had similar issues a bit ago. Pinch sensor wasnt bad but the pinch sensor plus full sensor kit is about $30 and the circuits for the full sensor are much more well designed to resist corrosion. Its probably worth your time to not fuss with it and just grab that kit.

https://www.litter-robot.com/lr3-pinch-contact-dfi-kit.html

Thanks for the suggestion. I just got an email back from the Litter Robot support people basically saying the same thing.

I've put in an order for this kit. Hopefully it solves my problems!

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Hi thread. I desparately need some suggestions. My partner and I have a 3 year old extremely needy cat that we're having trouble keeping out of the bedroom. More specifically, we can keep him out of the bedroom but are having an increasingly difficult time keeping him from pawing at our sliding bedroom doors, which shake very loudly when he does so.

We put up a retractable baby gate in front of the door. It's a fabric thing that you pull across and hook into place. That stopped him for a few months until he learned to squeeze under it. The gap between the gate and the door is large enough for him to fit and he can paw at the door once he gets in there.

Then we started putting pillows in that intervening space so he couldn't squeeze underneath. Then he learned to climb over.

Now we've fashioned this big wall out of 4 cardboard boards taped together that we put behind the gate so that he can't climb over. This has worked so far, but it is very unwieldy, we have no good place to put it when not in use, and putting it in place or removing it is very loud, and necessary when you want to exit the bedroom, say to pee in the middle of the night (the baby gate itself is low enough to awkwardly step over). This is problematic mainly because my partner is a very light and chronically poor sleeper, and this latest period of bad sleep is having a negative impact on every aspect of her life.

The only pet/baby gate that might work that is both wide and tall enough is 350 dollars on Amazon so we're trying to find a cheaper solution. The design of the gate/configuration of the doorway prevents us from installing th gate any closer to the door.

bltzn fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 20, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Is it an allergy thing? It's honestly hard to stop cats from getting somewhere they want to

You could try one of the Velcro pet doors that stick to the frame. They zip up and down so it might be a little easier

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

No, it's because he wakes us up in the middle of the night or too early in the morning. Doesn't bother me as much but it affects my partner's already poor sleep.

And the thing is, he doesn't wake us up all that often, but we have three cats, and if we let one in that means we let them all in. And while no single one wakes us up that often, their combined disruptions are just too much.

bltzn fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 20, 2023

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Can you wedge something in the doors so they don't noise when he paws at them?

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Can you stack two baby gates?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

kaom posted:

Can you stack two baby gates?

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

bltzn posted:

Hi thread. I desparately need some suggestions. My partner and I have a 3 year old extremely needy cat that we're having trouble keeping out of the bedroom. More specifically, we can keep him out of the bedroom but are having an increasingly difficult time keeping him from pawing at our sliding bedroom doors, which shake very loudly when he does so.

We put up a retractable baby gate in front of the door. It's a fabric thing that you pull across and hook into place. That stopped him for a few months until he learned to squeeze under it. The gap between the gate and the door is large enough for him to fit and he can paw at the door once he gets in there.

Then we started putting pillows in that intervening space so he couldn't squeeze underneath. Then he learned to climb over.

Now we've fashioned this big wall out of 4 cardboard boards taped together that we put behind the gate so that he can't climb over. This has worked so far, but it is very unwieldy, we have no good place to put it when not in use, and putting it in place or removing it is very loud, and necessary when you want to exit the bedroom, say to pee in the middle of the night (the baby gate itself is low enough to awkwardly step over). This is problematic mainly because my partner is a very light and chronically poor sleeper, and this latest period of bad sleep is having a negative impact on every aspect of her life.

The only pet/baby gate that might work that is both wide and tall enough is 350 dollars on Amazon so we're trying to find a cheaper solution. The design of the gate/configuration of the doorway prevents us from installing th gate any closer to the door.
You successfully taught your cat that the door opens when she paws at it. And that is very difficult to unlearn and requires you to ignore the scratching and never open the door when she does that. After a year or two she will stop.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I would be focusing on stopping the door from rattling, surely you can jam a towel or something in there to stop that? If cat gets ignored for long enough he will give up.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

We had a similar issue with one of our boys. I fashioned a foam board completely covered in aluminum foil that covers about 2 ft. square and attached it to the door. Pros? All he does now is meow quietly then calm down and do his chill routine. Cons? Affixing adhesive Velcro to the door may have consequences later. :v: Better than taping it directly to the door I guess?

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah I would be focusing on stopping the door from rattling, surely you can jam a towel or something in there to stop that? If cat gets ignored for long enough he will give up.

Why I'm skeptical about this and haven't tried it yet is the rattling comes from the top rollers hitting the track/housing it's in, since the housing is a bit too wide. I feel like stuffing something in there will prevent the rollers from rolling freely. But I guess I can try.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Why do you have to let all three in? I usually kick out all of the cats at night and they deal, but sometimes my girl sneaks in before I lock the door and the other two don't bother until it's feeding time in the morning.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

Because we have to leave the door open in case the one guy we let in wants out to use the litter or any other reason. And he is just as loud about wanting out as wanting to get in.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

We leave our bedroom door open, and all three cats come and go as they like. Sometimes they jump up on the bed a sleep with us for a while, but they have learned not to make a fuss because we won't respond.

Once the alarm goes off and we're up, they'll howl if the food dish is empty, for example, but they don't bother us while we're sleeping.

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

It's not that they bother us for particularly long or frequently when we let them in, but unfortunately because of my partner's sleep issues, getting woken up once sometimes means she doesn't sleep well for the rest of the night.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
can't you use one of those motion tripped sssscat devices or whatever?

failing that, just get a better fitted door. it's worth even just one week of better sleep.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
the equigroomer is going very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qlySKQhiLU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

bltzn posted:

Why I'm skeptical about this and haven't tried it yet is the rattling comes from the top rollers hitting the track/housing it's in, since the housing is a bit too wide. I feel like stuffing something in there will prevent the rollers from rolling freely. But I guess I can try.

Well yeah but the idea would be to jam something in there just overnight and take it out every morning. It sounds like it would be less effort than setting up your increasingly complex fortress outside the door.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Any suggestions for encouraging cats stubborn/indifferent to water to drink a bit more?

My vet suggested if possible my guy should drink a little more water as he ages. He's on a wet food only diet and never touches the bowl of water I leave out.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

McKracken posted:

Any suggestions for encouraging cats stubborn/indifferent to water to drink a bit more?

My vet suggested if possible my guy should drink a little more water as he ages. He's on a wet food only diet and never touches the bowl of water I leave out.

Crazy your vet didn't pick up on the fact it's not running water. Cats like running water, get a fountain. You can get them anywhere but the petkit eversweet ones on amazon are good.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

VelociBacon posted:

Crazy your vet didn't pick up on the fact it's not running water. Cats like running water, get a fountain. You can get them anywhere but the petkit eversweet ones on amazon are good.

She did mention cat fountains as an option, I was mostly curious if there were any other alternatives or if that was pretty much the only game in town, and if so, what brands people like.

Thanks!

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I use a heavy miaustore fountain that the cats can’t push over, they learned pushing over the eversweet fountain gave them a lot of water instantly

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

an iksar marauder posted:

I use a heavy miaustore fountain that the cats can’t push over, they learned pushing over the eversweet fountain gave them a lot of water instantly

Same, invested in one the day Ferdie spilled an entire plastic fountainsworth of water on my carpet

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

meet my new children, carol and tandy. in the 40 hours since i have had them they have somehow turned on bittorrent web (??), established a hierarchy (i am at the bottom) and developed a very strict routine. all hail carol and tandy.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

it is SUPER hard to eat yogurt around them

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

cash crab posted:

it is SUPER hard to eat yogurt around them
Don't give in or you’ll create a monster. My partner slipped up one time and her old Siamese guy terrorized her for the remaining 19 years of his life (and me, for his last few.) still miss the lil guy :(

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

oh, they will never know the sweet taste of greek yogurt if i can help it.

side note, i've taken care of dozens of kittens through foster over the years and these are the first ones that don't smell like a bible story when they take a dump. my only beef so far is one of them tries to clean the inside of my ear while i sleep.

e: i remembered a question. they're very happy to let me cram my fingers in their ears, hold their paws, etc. they don't even mind when i check their teeth, but i want to get them used to me putting my fingers in there for future brushing. two problems: a) they think this is a game where they get to chew on me, and b) their mouths are just a little too small for my to fit my finger near their gums. should i just settle for gentle touches on the teeth for now to get them used to it, or should i use the corner of a cloth or something?

cash crab fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 21, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

bltzn posted:

You may be able to fix this by putting a thin foam tape on the surface the rollers roll on. It's a trick I used for the folding door to my AC closet in a previous apartment, and as a side benefit it will make the door rattle less in general.

The Fix It Fast thread in DIY might have even better suggestions, but foam tape worked well for me.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

McKracken posted:

You could try adding water to his food as well, I know some people do this even with wet food. But yeah, running water is probably the best bet.

cash crab posted:

all hail carol and tandy.

:love:

cash crab posted:

oh, they will never know the sweet taste of greek yogurt if i can help it.

Betrayal.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I used a pet safe drinking fountain thing for a few years but I got very tired of disassembling and cleaning it, and my wife never wanted to do it.

Our cats get a lot of food bits in the water so it gets dirty fast.

The best advice I'd say for any drinking fountain is get the one that has the fewest parts and the easiest to clean.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MetaJew posted:

I used a pet safe drinking fountain thing for a few years but I got very tired of disassembling and cleaning it, and my wife never wanted to do it.

Our cats get a lot of food bits in the water so it gets dirty fast.

The best advice I'd say for any drinking fountain is get the one that has the fewest parts and the easiest to clean.

And locate it away from food bowls.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
RE cats banging on the door. I had a similar issue and got one of those shocky mats and put it in front of the door that did the trick. Once they realized stepping on it was bad I didn't even have to turn it on anymore.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

And locate it away from food bowls.

This is definitely true. I never figured out a good other place to put the water.

I just put out a bowl that the cats drink from and wash it fairly regularly. I think the cats also drink out of the dog's water bowl, occasionally.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

i also found that leaving cups of water around the house helps, too, but that can get irritating depending on how much work you want to put in. but there is that classic complaint of, "they won't drink from their dish but they will drink from the water on my bedside table" i have taken advantage of a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

You may be able to fix this by putting a thin foam tape on the surface the rollers roll on. It's a trick I used for the folding door to my AC closet in a previous apartment, and as a side benefit it will make the door rattle less in general.

The Fix It Fast thread in DIY might have even better suggestions, but foam tape worked well for me.

Thanks, didn't even think of this. Will give it a try!