Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i just need to figure out how to do it myself.

I've ordered but not paid for a kitchen.

gently caress me.

I'm going to build my own fridge out of the left over PIR insulation and pickup truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

3 phase open source power monitor

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

thats interesting

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

ok yeah is interesting and I possibly do want something like that as well, but it does not solve the problem.

The smart meter is essential. The smart meter is the bit that tells the energy company exactly when I took the power, i.e. when it was free/negative cost. I can do all sorts of smart poo poo my end but without the smart meter relaying my live half hourly usage I'm not getting paid.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
Next month: giving up on the power company and building your own L-shaped wind farm

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NotJustANumber99 posted:

ok yeah is interesting and I possibly do want something like that as well, but it does not solve the problem.

The smart meter is essential. The smart meter is the bit that tells the energy company exactly when I took the power, i.e. when it was free/negative cost. I can do all sorts of smart poo poo my end but without the smart meter relaying my live half hourly usage I'm not getting paid.

So instead of dealing with the higher costs for now, you just don't have an electrical hookup in the building? Can you just get a dumb one installed and get it swapped later?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Lord Awkward posted:

Next month: giving up on the power company and building your own L-shaped wind farm

Oh I got it! A wind mill with L-shaped blades, oh ... lets not do that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

Oh I got it! A wind mill with L-shaped blades, oh ... lets not do that.

Lol

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I need the smart meter because I want to have the ability to pull down power against their live pricing which should mean they pay me to charge my car and ultimately house battery over night.

Are you sure you got this right? In Sweden, where we have negative pricing on the spot market quite often, your random private customer will not see those prices. Only big industry, that can soak a ton of excess power off the grid as needed actually get paid. Because they do perform a valuable service to the grid owner. And as of right now the price has not been so negative as to cancel out the profit margin and ~fees~ that are the bulk of cost of electricity.

E: Now with the right post quoted. Derp.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 22, 2023

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Talk to Octopus, if you can’t get anywhere call your ENO and say the suppliers are all wastemen and you need to get a meter installed, I am guessing you have an MPAN?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Potrzebie posted:

Are you sure you got this right? In Sweden, where we have negative pricing on the spot market quite often, your random private customer will not see those prices. Only big industry, that can soak a ton of excess power off the grid as needed actually get paid. Because they do perform a valuable service to the grid owner. And as of right now the price has not been so negative as to cancel out the profit margin and ~fees~ that are the bulk of cost of electricity.

That is one of the promises with which they have sold residential smart meters to the country. I dunno if they actually do it.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Potrzebie posted:

That's up to your contract. This year in Finland the price has been negative enough a couple of times that even with the margin it has reduced my electricity bill.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

goatface posted:

That is one of the promises with which they have sold residential smart meters to the country. I dunno if they actually do it.

Darkest Auer posted:

That's up to your contract. This year in Finland the price has been negative enough a couple of times that even with the margin it has reduced my electricity bill.

:tipshat:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do UK smart meters have an externally readable interface? I have one of these and it's really neat.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

vanity slug posted:

Do UK smart meters have an externally readable interface? I have one of these and it's really neat.

We do, I have one of these and it can view stuff on an app and Home Assistant in real time.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Facebook video, but:

https://fb.watch/otSItQG2vq/

Seems Kevin approves of innovative uses of vacuum sealed housing.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Starbucks posted:

We do, I have one of these and it can view stuff on an app and Home Assistant in real time.

They gave me one of these and I instantly shut it off for my own mental health.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Facebook video, but:

This is the same guy I brought up the other week

Failed Imagineer posted:

Is this some kind of Passivhaus deal anyway? I watched a guy on Grand Designs last night whose build took as long as this one, but it was 800m², had enough solar to power the rest of their village, and was going for some kind of Ultra-Passiv cert that noone else in Britain has ever gotten. Pretty sure if you farted in that house at Christmas you'd still be smelling the Brussels sprouts in April

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Facebook video, but:

this loving owns.

just mandate that for every 10 houses in a development one of them has to have this magic roof??? loving idiot government???

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

That sounds like red tape and prohibiting innovation in the housing sector.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Starbucks posted:

That's neat; for ours you have to put something that reads the IR port so it has to have a battery that needs to be recharged, and when the meter reader comes they'll probably remove it.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Do you need 3 phase to run the house brain?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I think the national grid/energy companies use the same workflow and management structure as BT.

Good luck. You are definitely on the right track trying to identify when the right person works and to try and get him allocated to the job.

(Talking as someone who is about to hit the first birthday on a BT leased line install, and is also stuck forever in limbo on a gas smart meter install after getting an install visit cancelled during covid)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TheMightyHandful posted:

Do you need 3 phase to run the house brain?

One each for the id, ego and superego

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Darkest Auer posted:

In Northern Norway I've had the price go lightly negative (into my favour) but with the line rental on top it's still worked out costing me a few pennies. I've not yet made money by running the heating :eng99:

meltie fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Nov 23, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gasmask posted:

this loving owns.

just mandate that for every 10 houses in a development one of them has to have this magic roof??? loving idiot government???
The tiles also look pretty secure, and it means getting them fitted by some nice imported nordic lads rather than the local site shitters.

My house is located in a wind corridor which regularly rattles tiles off the roof in a high enough wind, so it's one of those things if I had the money I would definitely want to look into.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

meltie posted:

In Northern Norway I've had the price go lightly negative (into my favour) but with the line rental on top it's still worked out costing me a few pennies. I've not yet made money by running the heating :eng99:

I wanna figure out if I can run my heat pumps direct electric backup for heating during those times.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Finally got the c3p0 arm joint off.

The rubber strap thing was just not doing it so used the mallet and a bolster on the big grippy plastic nut to gradually tap it off.

Bought a new one, different brand, maybe it will work better.

Arguably it feel nicer

But will not be persuaded to do up. I think the other one you could force to make a bad seal whereas this one it just won't do it at all.

Take it all off again and dig back to expose more pipe.

You know whats better than one bad, leaky joint?

Two of them.

Lol I think this has given me more leeway to get all the joints aligned and has actually done up without being forced. Although it was still a long time stood bent over in my muddy hole trying to line up all the nuts.

These adjustable joints are more expensive than the 3m lengths of drain pipe and only about 30cms long so its going to get expensive if I end up replacing the entire however many 100m it is run with adjustable bends every foot.

I'll test it before burying it to make sure its holding pressure, which means sticking my head back down the manholes in either direction and bunging off the appropriate pipe. Apologies for potato cam, its a zoom in from the security cam footage

I can just reach down this one with my legs sticking out.

Now fill the isolated off section of pipe with the hose down the drainpipe in the plantroom.

I'm going to mix in some red food dye, so I should be able to see in the muddy puddle outside if any of my red water is seeping out at the joints.

The end falls of my hose and disappears down the drain, everything gets soaked.

Takes ages to retrieve it but it does eventually wash out the end I was expecting.

Cleverly I suspected I'd gently caress this up and only used half the red dye so theres enough left to try again.

This is a hell of a lot better than the other day where it was just pouring out, but there is an undeniable wisp of red.

Tightened it all up one last time and its getting dark now and I've muddied the waters but looks ok?

But no. Theres still a gradual drop on the polystyrene level stick sitting in the plantroom drain.

so it still isnt fixed. OK thx bye.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just give up and dig a cesspit imo.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Golly gee I wish that there was some kind of professional you could call here to help with plumbing.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Can you not make that junction with two 15degree fixed bends?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Potrzebie posted:

I assume it does in fact work in his favour and that's why he can't get anyone out to install one, honestly.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Take it all off again and dig back to expose more pipe.

Although it was still a long time stood bent over in my muddy hole trying to line up all the nuts.

which means sticking my head back down the manholes in either direction and bunging off the appropriate pipe.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

The end falls of my hose and disappears down the drain, everything gets soaked.

so it goes

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Towards L shaped architecture: a long time bent over in my muddy hole trying to line up all the nuts.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You've already got the hole, can you just drop in some concrete and call it another maintenance manhole? It would be no different then what all the other manhole bases look like.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vim Fuego posted:

so it goes

Pipes fall apart, the centre cannot hose

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007

devicenull posted:

You've already got the hole, can you just drop in some concrete and call it another maintenance manhole? It would be no different then what all the other manhole bases look like.

i was thinking he should do the same thing. this already seems like it is going to be a problem with the 2 flex pipes...might as well keep them accessible for visual inspection and maintenance.

Seems like it would be easy to form it out and pour concrete for walls and floor.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

instead of a maintenance manhole maybe just fill the entire thing with epoxy and when it solids up it'll hold the sewage in too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Pipes fall apart, the centre cannot hose