Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

He's gone. I'm relieved that he isn't in pain anymore. I'm genuinely sad that I couldn't help him or give him a better life. I wish I had found him sooner, I might have managed to rescue him before he ate whatever got caught in his crop.

I'll ask if the bird guy can do a necropsy so we can see what it was that was caught in his crop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I'm sorry Qubee :(

At least he got to spend his last few days being somewhere he was safe, experiencing kindness and care. Thank you for making that possible for him.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I'm sorry Qubee, it's always a precarious dice roll when a bird happenstances into your life like that. Please take comfort in knowing his final days were warm and loved.

I remember as a teenager I had a parakeet very briefly like that. She was found by someone in the rain during a very long storm. She didn't last the night, but she seemed to take great comfort in being dry and having a final meal and other birds warbling nearby. It's unfortunate that sometimes they have enough energy to get to us, but not enough to get out of the health they suffered.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
You gave that bird a happy home full of love. He passed knowing he was safe and warm. It almost chokes me up how well you did right by the little fella.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I'm so, so sorry.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Buried him under a big tree in a park. Figured he deserved to be in one of the very few green places this country has to offer. Although I steeled myself from the beginning and knew losing him would be a very real possibility, it still hit hard. I just keep thinking about how nice it would have been if he had pulled through and how much he would have loved joining the gang. We could have beaten an infection, but a crop blockage was just impossible to overcome.

I'm racked with guilt for not being there when he passed.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

You went above and beyond to give a suffering animal a more-comfortable end, with love and companionship. It’s natural to want to have done more but you did so much for the little guy, Qubee.

You would have had to have been someone else living somewhere else with an avian vet, and then he would have hung around the refinery you didn’t work at for a few days before dying alone and cold in some hidden corner.

When I was very young we had a parakeet we got from another family who was moving for a few months, and he escaped. I can only hope he found someone like you, who took him in and cared for him as long as they could.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
You really did go above and beyond for the little guy. I know you know that too. I feel so much sadness over the situation. The pain of losing a bird still feels so fresh.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

You did good.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Qubee posted:

Buried him under a big tree in a park. Figured he deserved to be in one of the very few green places this country has to offer. Although I steeled myself from the beginning and knew losing him would be a very real possibility, it still hit hard. I just keep thinking about how nice it would have been if he had pulled through and how much he would have loved joining the gang. We could have beaten an infection, but a crop blockage was just impossible to overcome.

I'm racked with guilt for not being there when he passed.

Aw, that's so sad, I'm sorry. I hope you take some comfort in knowing you did all you could, and at least he had warmth and kindness on his way out.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

It's Tux's hatchday!

He got spoiled with a seed treat, a new coconut shredder toy and extra head scritches. Thankfully with the end of spring approaching here he's chilled out again and his nipping behaviour has disappeared. We had a few weeks there where I was getting worried as he was downright aggressive and attacking us but that has passed. Whew! Here's to many more years with this cheeky little dude. :)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Qubee posted:

He's gone. I'm relieved that he isn't in pain anymore. I'm genuinely sad that I couldn't help him or give him a better life. I wish I had found him sooner, I might have managed to rescue him before he ate whatever got caught in his crop.

I'll ask if the bird guy can do a necropsy so we can see what it was that was caught in his crop.

The poor little baba was going to die anyway, but instead of dying hungry, cold, afraid and alone, he died fed, warm, safe and loved.
It's 100% not the best ending, but if he was doomed to die, you gave him the gentlest passing
Well done you, you saved a lost little bird from a very lonely end.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/2VXiW2M.mp4

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Tried sleeping in a little bit after getting the birbs up and they saw fit to land on me and walk around on me. I think they were concerned about the unusually prone human. I feel so cared for. :3:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My quality of life improved tenfold once I realised I can shift the morning routine of my birds so that they wake up around 10:30am. I get to enjoy my mornings and slowly wake up, and by the time they're groggily awake with their cute little heads, I'm ready to start spoiling them. Plus it does wonders for their raging hormones. They've been on an 8pm-10am cycle for the longest time and everyone is happy with this arrangement.

I'm kidding about the quality of life improvement, they've never affected it negatively. For about a year, I used to live with them in my room and their morning chirps and squawks are something I am very used to.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Plastic Pal posted:

Tried sleeping in a little bit after getting the birbs up and they saw fit to land on me and walk around on me. I think they were concerned about the unusually prone human. I feel so cared for. :3:

Ours follow us for nap time. When my partner is asleep on the couch our bigger bird usually copies her and falls asleep on her head or chest, and then our newer bird copies him and falls asleep nearby.

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 23, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

titty_baby_ posted:

Ours follow poo poo for nap time. When mine partner is asleep on the couch our bigger bird usually copies her and falls asleep on her head or chest, and then our newer bird copies him and falls asleep nearby.

:kimchi:

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I don't have enough arms to film it but Dijon has been letting me open up his pin feathers and it's been a real treat. It's incredibly satisfying rooting around the floof.

titty_baby_ posted:

Ours follow poo poo for nap time. When mine partner is asleep on the couch our bigger bird usually copies her and falls asleep on her head or chest, and then our newer bird copies him and falls asleep nearby.

big blue boy!!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

We've been having some King Parrots lurking around the house lately and Tux is Not Impressed.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Little Miss LoLo is too cute for this world.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Whoa. She's incredibly gorgeous.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Oh my goodness

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Plastic Pal posted:

oh she's delightful

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Plastic Pal posted:

Naw, what a sweetheart :3:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Lol that hat is on high alert!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Plastic Pal posted:

That sweet little princess needs to be given all the scritches and snacks, oh my god. :stwoon:.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

bee posted:

We've been having some King Parrots lurking around the house lately and Tux is Not Impressed.

Wow. Im very interested in visiting a place where wild parrots roam. Id love to see budgies in there natural habitat

Plastic Pal posted:

A little cloud baby

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My boys are annoyingly picky. In an effort to get them to try different things ive finally gotten them to like oatmeal...unfortunately now this means when I make myself a bowl they try to land on the rim and eat it. Now i have to get them their own little individual oatmeal bowls so I can eat in peace

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 23, 2023

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

bee posted:

Despite never having played any of them, I absolutely hear the 'alerted' sound from the Metal Gear Solid series when I see this picture.

Also lil miss LoLo booge is extremely adorable and precious.
Also bird love to share our food, especially if we don't want them to have it.
Stolen food + shouting = best food.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

titty_baby_ posted:

Wow. Im very interested in visiting a place where wild parrots roam. Id love to see budgies in there natural habitat

Come on over to Australia, we've got birds everywhere!

Although sadly I have to admit that I've never seen budgies in the wild, despite taking a trip to central Australia to try and do that very thing. There wasn't much rain that year so they weren't in the places I hoped they'd be. But I did get to see some pink cockatoos so that was cool.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Come for the parrots, stay for the magpies. This afternoon I spent 10 minutes standing in my front porch watching one of the local baby magpies playing and singing with its reflection in a stainless steel chimney cap across the street.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

I love the sing-y magpies -- their voices are amazing and I wish we had them in the U.S.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Also I'm so glad that people liked little LoLo. She's such a sweet budgie, little soft albino girl!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Plastic Pal posted:

Also I'm so glad that people liked little LoLo. She's such a sweet budgie, little soft albino girl!

I hope you'll post more pictures of her adventures :3:

I was doing some weeding in my garden this arvo and a magpie flew down right beside me and was just warbling away. I dug up a worm and threw it on the ground between us but magpie friend just kept singing and didn't seem to be interested in eating it. I guess it was a lucky afternoon for both myself and the worm!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

bee posted:

I hope you'll post more pictures of her adventures :3:

I was doing some weeding in my garden this arvo and a magpie flew down right beside me and was just warbling away. I dug up a worm and threw it on the ground between us but magpie friend just kept singing and didn't seem to be interested in eating it. I guess it was a lucky afternoon for both myself and the worm!

Sometimes Pancake turns up and sings to me for a while, and then leaves without collecting any food. A couple of times I've run into him on a nearby street and he's happily tootled and whistled to me as I kept him company for several minutes while he foraged in the nature strips. He's a very charming little man.

Edit: found video of one of these encounters (has sound):
https://i.imgur.com/9eW16Up.mp4

GotLag fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 28, 2023

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
In defiance of all reason and logic, Yellow is still being Yellow.

I was really prepared for the end a week or two ago. Then she sorta...leveled out? I'm not sure how to put it, because she is still not in great shape. Every now and then, I catch her just laying flat out towards the end of the day. She has reached the point where she keeps the "dead" leg behind herself while perched, just dangling.

Yet she continues to eat, drink, bathe, angrily squawk at Blue, and get around the cage.

I just caught her getting up the side of the cage after eating. Sometimes she gets worn out, and stops halfway up while dangling from her beak and one good leg. If she stays that way too long, I'll come along and help her. Which she loving hates.

Just as I was about to get up, she let out one bitchy chirp. Blue came galoot'ing over to her, and pestered her up the remaining bars. Once she reached the top and got settled, he started barfing into her. For health.

If only we could all be so lucky in our old age. :derptiel:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I absolutely love the continuing story of old lady Yellow and her doting husband Blue.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Tux has an important message for all bird crazies itt

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

Aww adorable.

My birds used to wolf whistle but they stopped for some reason, and started using the hailing whistle instead exclusively as part of their flock song.

Also:

https://i.imgur.com/TVm8aoY.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Plastic Pal posted:

Aww adorable.

My birds used to wolf whistle but they stopped for some reason, and started using the hailing whistle instead exclusively as part of their flock song.

Also:

https://i.imgur.com/TVm8aoY.gifv

someone taught them that people don't like being wolf whistled at, I guess?