Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I had a couple of tap failures with my straight up debit card the other day. I wonder if some of the processing houses were having issues and it's actually unrelated to Google/Samsung Pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I'm getting a Pixel 8 and I haven't had wireless charging since the Nexus 4. I saw that Google had collaborated with Mous on their MagSafe case, and I'm wanting a magnetic mount wireless car charger, so it seems like that's what I should get. But MagSafe charging isn't always interoperable, is that? What should I look for in a car charger/mount that will work best with P8 with Mous MagSafe case?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Magic City Monday posted:

I mainly want a good camera and good battery life (but also a telephoto lens).

Do you want a good camera or an 'ok' camera?

Standard S series galaxies are firmly in the 'ok' camera category. Fine but not great.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I have been in Team Pixel since the Nexus 4. I was seriously considering upgrading from the 7 Pro to the 8 Pro, but it got more expensive and I'm getting tired of how big the Pros are.

I know it's not out yet, but the S24 will be released at the beginning of next year, I assume that's the next best thing if I want a phone of similar quality/capability of the 8 Pro? From what I've read, it's possible to mostly hide the annoying Samsung bits and One UI 6.0 is supposed to be pretty good?

I mainly want a good camera and good battery life (but also a telephoto lens).

a potential caveat with the S24 is they're apparently switching back to using exynos chips for international models, with only the US version getting the SD8gen3, so YMMV depending on where you are

exynos variants are usually worse than the snapdragon ones to varying degrees

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

lostleaf posted:

Anyone have the oneplus open? Is there anything annoying you about that phone? Bad camera shutter lag? I remember someone was complaining about the display forcing 60hz?

A bump because I think it got lost in the derail yesterday. A few people mentioned they purchased the Oneplus Open in this thread. I'd appreciate a few words on your experience with the device. They finally increased the trade-in values so I'm considering it again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't really had enough time with the Open because I got it a little over a week before I went on vacation.

After this weekend I'm planning on switching back to a foldable and I might do the Open, we'll see.

Magic City Monday
Dec 5, 2016

bull3964 posted:

Do you want a good camera or an 'ok' camera?

Standard S series galaxies are firmly in the 'ok' camera category. Fine but not great.

I really like the pixel camera. I've read that the S-Ultra cameras are basically as good as the Pixels, and I kind of assumed the S-series used all similar cameras (with just more (zoom, more than three, etc.) for the Ultra version). I'd be fine getting the non-pro version of the 8, I just don't want to give up the telescopic lens.

I guess I'm kind of stuck then if I want to stay with Android?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Branch Nvidian posted:

Android 14 has introduced a bug to my Xperia 1 V which is becoming more and more frustrating, curious if the other 1 V users have encountered it yet. With the AOD on if I press the power button to wake the device, the screen just goes black. It reads my fingerprint and unlocks because I can hear it make the unlock sound, and if I press the button again I can hear it make the lock sound. Sometimes this clears up by me just putting it face down and picking it back up so the proximity sensor can tell there is nothing in front of it, but that doesn't always work and sometimes I just have to wait for it to decide the display should turn on again.

I haven't used the AOD much, but I enabled it to try to replicate the issue. I tried toggling:

Lift to check
AOD
Double tap to wake
Press to unlock with fingerprint

And every possible combination among them.

No dice. I wonder if it is something weird like Xperia Home (unless you use another launcher) needing its cache cleared. I have only basic notification info (e.g. new text, but not message contents) enabled, too. I wish I could have at least narrowed down the issue a bit.

I did get a "firebase test tile" notification from the Sony Support app about 30 minutes ago, though. Someone was logged into production and not test! Whoops

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
I had a credit card restricted as transactions suspicious for using it in google pay on my pixel, but google pay on fitbit or tap to pay on card np. whanks google

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Got a Pixel 8 for $375, trading in my 6a. Seems like a decent deal for some camera and software boosts, and wireless charging etc. Expecting the battery life to still be fairly mediocre but whatever

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

I really like the pixel camera. I've read that the S-Ultra cameras are basically as good as the Pixels, and I kind of assumed the S-series used all similar cameras (with just more (zoom, more than three, etc.) for the Ultra version). I'd be fine getting the non-pro version of the 8, I just don't want to give up the telescopic lens.

Considering the phone hasn't even been announced yet, it's a little early to be writing the camera off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Ultra uses its own cameras. The regular S23 series uses the S5KGN3 which is a 1/1.57" sensor which is significantly smaller than the 1/1.3" sensor in the Pixel and S23 Ultra (different sensors between the two, but same size). In good light they pretty much all do ok, but the Pixel and S23U are much better in lower light both in night sight and being able to take pictures without night sight.

Also, the telephoto in the S23 is only a 3x 10mp which is pretty limited utility compared to the 5x in the Pixel 8 Pro and wouldn't be that much different than the 2x center crop of the Pixel 8's main sensor.

It's up to you as to if you would like the 'look' of Samsung cameras. I personally don't like the output of the S23 Ultra I have as the colors are too over-boosted and it doesn't handle motion all that well.

Of course, some of this stuff could change for the S24 series, but we don't really know yet and Samsung hasn't really done much with the base S series cameras in years.

My personal experience is that Google still has the best point and shoot camera in the market (at least in North America). It has its weaknesses, but on balance it knocks it out of the park for casual shooting.

This was further reinforced for me on the trip I just took to Iceland with 4 other friends. We have a shared google photos album with over 2000 pictures from the trip. The album is a mixture of:

Pixel 8 Pro (mine)
Ricoh GRIIIx (mine)
Sony A6700 (mine)
Pixel 7
Pixel 7 Pro
2 iPhone 13s

Really, all the photos were great (and of course my APS-C cameras were the stars) but Pixels all did better in dynamic range than the iPhones and I'm actually floored by the UltraHDR output of the Pixel 8 Pro when viewed on an HDR display.

Also, all anecdotal of course, but guess which phones were more often tethered to a battery pack (hint, they were the same phone).

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 23, 2023

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I had an S22Ultra and I think the only real ace it had up its sleeve was that ridiculous 10x optical zoom. Honestly though, I don't miss it terribly as my Pixel 7Pro has a nice 5x and good enough hybrid/digital zoom ability.

Maybe Samsung will up their game with the non-ultra s24's. They might not have the edge in terms of value though compared to say a regular Pixel 8 unless they absolutely embarrass the Pixel in other areas.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Failed Imagineer posted:

Got a Pixel 8 for $375, trading in my 6a. Seems like a decent deal for some camera and software boosts, and wireless charging etc. Expecting the battery life to still be fairly mediocre but whatever

Pixel 8 has the best battery life of any Pixel I've used, including the Pixel 5. I get 10 hours screen on time on Wi-Fi.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

did any of you Honourable Pixel Warriors get the pixel tablet? it's on sale for black friday and it's tempting

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

did any of you Honourable Pixel Warriors get the pixel tablet? it's on sale for black friday and it's tempting

Yes and I love it a lot. Way more than I was expecting to.

It's great in the kitchen for timers and recipes, but where I REALLY love it is at the gym. The official Pixel case has this firm kickstand that can hook onto the treadmill and I can watch movies while I walk.

I also set it up to be a purely fun screen with no texts, email or work apps and it's nice to have a device like that in the house.

If it's on sale I would recommend it. I paid full price but I'm a dork.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

We got one at release and use it as a kitchen/cooking tablet. Not exactly putting it through its paces, but for that it has been excellent.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

i'm happy with it. performance is good, does what i expect. just a few minor complaints
  • weird size, i wish it was a little bigger or a little smaller
  • only 60hz
  • usb port feels like it's on the wrong side

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Okay tyvm all, it's $150 off here so probably going to grab it

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/09/the-pixel-tablet-is-actually-just-a-few-spare-parts-in-a-half-empty-body/

It's a pretty weird device. I'd be more interested if it was in the $299 range I think.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i already got myself an ipad before i started considering the pixel tablet. when i went to pull the trigger i just wound up getting a nest hub max bc it's an actual smart home device vs being a weird in between phone/smart home hub.

if i didn't have an ipad i might have gotten the tablet instead so if you don't already have something to fill that niche then yeah it's probably a good get

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I used to love tablets but since getting a Fold they're completely obsolete.

You probably can get a pixel and a tablet for cheaper than the price of a Fold though.

But seriously being able to say IT'S TABLET TIME then open your phone is still magical even now (you don't have to say its tablet time)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the phone should announce ITS TABLET TIME when you open it

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

If you can't get your Google Assistant to declare IT'S TABLET TIME, then what's even the goddamn point

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it should be in the tiktok voice

https://voca.ro/1k8pTkZ6WJUW

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 24, 2023

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

You have to do it every single time, though. Like Laszlo turning into a bat.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not a Pixel warrior, but I do spend a good amount of time around a couple (ironically, I converted them to future Pixel warriors back in the Nexus days) and I've gotten to play around with the tablet and discuss the pros and cons with them a few times.

In short, if you are a Pixel warrior in search of a tablet, look no further, that is the best tablet for you, hands down. It's pretty much a bigger Pixel with some mild tablet-specific touches thrown in, but mostly behaves like a big screen Pixel in day to day use.

However, do not get it if your plan is to replace a Nest hub with it, unless you only ever use the tablet in that specific room of the house. Otherwise, you'll often find yourself talking to nothing before you realize the tablet is several rooms away wherever you left it when you last used it. The dock is useless by itself. If you are looking for a Nest Hub, get the Max, it does a better job of being a home hub than the tablet, which has a bunch of minor annoyances when trying to use it as a hub replacement, some of which are mitigated if you live alone. My friend tried it, and ended up getting a separate hub and using the tablet as a full-time tablet.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

repiv posted:

it should be in the tiktok voice

https://voca.ro/1k8pTkZ6WJUW

cursed in the best possible way

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

withoutclass posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/09/the-pixel-tablet-is-actually-just-a-few-spare-parts-in-a-half-empty-body/

It's a pretty weird device. I'd be more interested if it was in the $299 range I think.

I think that article takes the cake of one of the dumbest that Ron has done this year.

All tablets are a few spare parts in a half empty shell.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-samsung-galaxy-tab-s9-series-hands-samsung-made-us-write-underwater-tablet

The S9+ has even more free space inside it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 24, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

bull3964 posted:

I think that article takes the cake of one of the dumbest that Ron has done this year.

All tablets are a few spare parts in a half empty shell.

https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/feature-samsung-galaxy-tab-s9-series-hands-samsung-made-us-write-underwater-tablet

The S9+ has even more free space inside it.

If you're talking about this image:

please note that the main board of the device has been removed and set aside, visible on the right. The Pixel main board is visible in the top of the photo in the article, and is of a size more commonly associated with a much smaller device:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

It's not just the Pixel Tablet; all matter is mostly empty space.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
What's the cheapest smartwatch I can get if all I care about is seeing my notifications/texts, setting alarms/timers, and using it for NFC payments?

And how far away from my phone can they generally get before losing connection?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

smoobles posted:

It's not just the Pixel Tablet; all matter is mostly empty space.

Especially my head

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

If you're talking about this image:

please note that the main board of the device has been removed and set aside, visible on the right. The Pixel main board is visible in the top of the photo in the article, and is of a size more commonly associated with a much smaller device:

There's literally no difference. I know the motherboard is set aside, but that's because they are showing the vapor chamber which when you are looking at the disassembled device, fills the void visually if the mainboard is in or out. There's still a huge amount of empty space on the bottom and on the right hand side of the device.

Tablets are phones in larger cases. To write a whole article about how that is somehow odd is one of the dumbest looking for something wrong just for the sake of it takes that Ron has done this year. It's clickbaity dumb rear end poo poo and should have been enough to get him pulled off mobile review duty.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

bull3964 posted:

There's literally no difference. I know the motherboard is set aside, but that's because they are showing the vapor chamber which when you are looking at the disassembled device, fills the void visually if the mainboard is in or out. There's still a huge amount of empty space on the bottom and on the right hand side of the device.

Tablets are phones in larger cases. To write a whole article about how that is somehow odd is one of the dumbest looking for something wrong just for the sake of it takes that Ron has done this year. It's clickbaity dumb rear end poo poo and should have been enough to get him pulled off mobile review duty.

I certainly feel a bit silly posting now!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm having a weird problem with Google maps where it seems like it is constantly fighting two contradicting streams of data. When I'm driving slowly (30kph) it keeps rotating the arrow that represents the car, then rotating the map, recalculating the route based on that. Step on the gas (70kph?) and it gives in that I must be following the road I'm on. Very confusing, bordering dangerous in how distracting it is. Is this a gps problem or a compass problem and can I recalibrate either? Something else?

My impression is though that I don't have the problem when I turn off data, not giving maps the opportunity to recalculate the route.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I haven't dealt with SD cards and android in ages, so I'm just going to ask: should I be using adoptable storage or portable storage?

I want to be able to throw big cheap sd cards into the kids fire tablets for road trips and load them up with both downloaded shows from Netflix and free floating .mkv files in VLC.

I tried adoptable storage and the problem that I'm running into when trying this out is that when I'm trying to figure out where the hell the different storages are on the device. It seems like I'm only able to see a single "internal storage", but it is the same size as the actual smaller internal storage and not the SD card? I'm able to move apps onto the SD card, which seems to free up space in internal storage but I can't figure out where the heck to put media files to get them on the SD card.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Since updating to android 14, my phone now makes a ding noise after a call when either person hangs up.

Is there a way to turn that off? Everything is silenced but this noise and I can't seem to find the setting for it.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Twerk from Home posted:

I tried adoptable storage and the problem that I'm running into when trying this out is that when I'm trying to figure out where the hell the different storages are on the device. It seems like I'm only able to see a single "internal storage", but it is the same size as the actual smaller internal storage and not the SD card?

Based on the screenshots I see on the web thats working as intended. Amazon chose not to use the AOSP implementation of adding the storage together to show one big unified Internal Storage pool in Settings but instead opted to keep them distinct and list them off seperately.

quote:

I'm able to move apps onto the SD card, which seems to free up space in internal storage but I can't figure out where the heck to put media files to get them on the SD card.

Think of "Adoptable storage support" as "Multiple /data partitions support" and your previous mental model becomes functional again: formatting as internal/adoptable storage essentially turns the SD-card into a second /data partition with its own /app directory. The "Move content to [Storage]" option decides which /data partition holds the primary user file system (the /media folder aka the artist formerly known as /sdcard). So if you agreed to that prompt when you formatted the card as internal, apps already save their content to the SD card by default since the main system folders like /Android, /Download /Music etc already reside there, so its just a case of dumping it in whatever folder you usually would if there was no card. If not, "Move content to SD card" will make it so.

quote:

I haven't dealt with SD cards and android in ages, so I'm just going to ask: should I be using adoptable storage or portable storage?

The tl;dr is to stick with portable storage unless you want the flexibility to install large apps/games. While it's not as seamless since you'll have to go through each third party apps settings and set the right storage location (which every app will do in a slightly different way), it's much more intiutive for your use case since it would also give you the flexibility to manage the card directly on a PC instead of going through the device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

Android / FireOS question...

Kids both have Amazon Fire HD10 tablets and Fitbit Ace devices. I'd sideloaded the Fitbit app onto their devices ages ago and it had been working great for a long time.
I recently had to upgrade my Fitbit account to the new Google version when I switched to the Pixel Watch 2, and at the same time had to migrate the kids accounts across to Google Supervised accounts.

Needless to say, this then broke the integration between their tablets and their Fitbits, as they need to log in to the Fitbit app with their newly migrated accounts, which requires Play Services for logging in to the new accounts.
I've managed to sideload Play Services and the latest Fitbit app onto their devices, but it doesn't seem to allow logging in to Supervised accounts.

Any ideas on other things I can try to work around it? I'm loathe to dust off some old vanilla Android phones/tablets so they can sync their steps etc but I'm having a feeling it's going to be the only way.