Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

hatty posted:

Monkey D. Flated

Luffy finally meets his ultimate opponent: Tom Brady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

oddium posted:

he's the minister of science and defense

Buy why is the minister of science and defense the one hearing about an escaped slave, or the one confronting Kuma after eating the devil fruit at the human hunting game?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Happy Holidays

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Arist posted:

I really like the idea that the Age-Age fruit responded to Bonney's wish to be older so that's going to be my assumption

Yup. Fruits go to who wants them more. More proof that Sanji s second dream was just a joke and he wasn't serious about wanting the invis fruit.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yum posted:

drat, this line of thinking from Vegapunk is painfully naive. I get that Kuma has no choice and less knowledge and awareness of the institution overall, but what the hell Vegapunk I thought you were a genius

you did it you've identified the core of vegapunk's entire character

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
We can't know how Bonnie got the fruit or much about how the fruits actually work until the reveal of how Blackbeard has two devil fruit powers. It's all linked up. The theory that Bonnie ate the fruit in the future isn't even that wild to me. But also fruit may just appear in someone's life when they have that strong desire for it.

Honestly the fact that we're in the end game and I still have so many lore questions about really significant events is just building more hype. What's Blackbeard been up to? What's Dragon's deal? What exactly was up with Rocks and why was he so bad that Roger and Garp allied together to keep slavery around?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

This is a crazy thought but- Maybe Bonney didn't eat a devil fruit. Maybe just wishing to be older gave her that ability. Maybe Kuma's Buccaneer ancestry is linked to the ancient people whose dreams are what made devil fruits. Yes, Bonney does not appear to be his biological child but... it's all just a bit weird isn't it?

Alternately, Oda doesn't think "oh, what's this, a strange fruit? bleh! it tastes bad!" is worth wasting a panel on and it's more funny for it to be sudden without any context.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
or maybe its celestial dragon blood:

maybe they themselves are weak to water, which is why they chose to live on the highest point in the world?

Remalle
Feb 12, 2020

Eiba posted:

This is a crazy thought but- Maybe Bonney didn't eat a devil fruit. Maybe just wishing to be older gave her that ability. Maybe Kuma's Buccaneer ancestry is linked to the ancient people whose dreams are what made devil fruits. Yes, Bonney does not appear to be his biological child but... it's all just a bit weird isn't it?
Could be that studying her is what gave Vegapunk the inspiration/evidence for his theory on the origins of devil fruits.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Great chapter. What a load of callbacks. All the timeskip locations, Luffy's hometown, Punk Hazard exploding, and Pacifistas.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

jassa posted:

The one I push back on most is the fandom's use of paramecia instead of paramythia. The latter makes so much more sense, especially in the context of recent arcs and with the importance of fairy tales, myths and imagination in the series.

MYTHical zoan
paraMYTHia

lol

also LOGia (prologue?)

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Think people are getting too hung up on where the devil fruit came from. We only know the origins of like maybe 5 or 6 characters devil fruits out of a cast of hundreds of characters. Like 99% of them are just "and then they found a devil fruit somehow and ate it" They're mystery fruits! That's like the whole point!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

someone with the age age fruit died right outside the church as bonny was eating an orange and the orange became the fruit

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i like the idea that she just ate it in her pile of food and didn't notice the weird gross fruit over everything else it's simple and i don't think it needs to be anything more than that.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

There's people that go their whole lives without realizing that bad piece of fruit they had 80 years ago was Special.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also if bonney isn't Kuma's biodaughter why does she look like a buccaneer in her alternate future self? And if special blood can carry a DF, maybe the DFs are literally buccaneer blood?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

anime was right posted:

also if bonney isn't Kuma's biodaughter why does she look like a buccaneer in her alternate future self? And if special blood can carry a DF, maybe the DFs are literally buccaneer blood?

i think the specify ability was “Distorted Future” so the implication might be that this was an alternate future based on if she was actually Kuma’s daughter. Similarly there was that near death attack where she shows…the way future when they are dead and it causes them to have a panic attack? Basically her powers seem to play a bit with idea of alternate/possible futures rather than just straight normal aging and de-aging.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lmao

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Drakkel posted:

Think people are getting too hung up on where the devil fruit came from. We only know the origins of like maybe 5 or 6 characters devil fruits out of a cast of hundreds of characters. Like 99% of them are just "and then they found a devil fruit somehow and ate it" They're mystery fruits! That's like the whole point!
While this is true, it's not too hard to imagine that a pirate or bounty hunter or marine whose job involves travelling the world and coming into contact with powerful criminals had an adventure that caused them to find a fruit at some point. It's harder to explain for a young girl who's barely able to leave her house.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Drakkel posted:

They're mystery fruits! That's like the whole point!

_______I see_____
:haw::coffee::kiddo::coffee::shobon::coffee::buddy::coffee:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

GodFish posted:

Buy why is the minister of science and defense the one hearing about an escaped slave, or the one confronting Kuma after eating the devil fruit at the human hunting game?

Probably cause he was there and the highest ranked person. A new King of a member Kingdom is something he should be informed of as is anything to do with Vegapunk.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

What kind of conditioner does Kuma use for his lion locks? :allears:

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

anime was right posted:

Maybe a happy buccaneer's love can summon powers for their loved one's dreams? Vegapunk said something like that about devil fruits being human dreams earlier in the arc. That's why it's imperative that the WG enslave and murder their families. Otherwise a crowd of Buccs won't give it up DREAMIN

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i think its more that, if we presuppose that the gorosei arent aware of nika worship on the sky islands, then as far as they know the buccaneers were the only remaining believers in him. so by that logic, if they exterminate the buccaneers and have the last remaining ones live under such awful conditions that they give up their faith before dying, then maybe they could smother the nika fruit in the cradle and not have it reappear in the world or be useful, since there would be no dreams fuelling its powers

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

anime was right posted:

i think this chapter answers that, she’s not his biological daughter but the procedure used to save her life is compared to a bone marrow transplant between Kuma and her, so Bonney ended up with Buccaneer DNA in a roundabout way which presumably manifests itself with her distorted timeline attack.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

U-DO Burger posted:

I had figured that Kuma's "fly to another island" technique only let you travel to places you've been already, and it's nice to see confirmation. Otherwise getting to Laugh Tale would be too easy.

Still, kinda dickish to send Robin to what you know to be a slave bridge, Kuma! Would it have killed you to just cut out the middleman and send her straight to Baltigo?

My man was under pressure. Also the direction hes standing in seemingly matters since thats how Rayleigh figured out Luffy got blasted to Amazon Lily. It might have been the only option available

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lmfao... dudes a straight clown at this point

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

anime was right posted:

or maybe its celestial dragon blood:

maybe they themselves are weak to water, which is why they chose to live on the highest point in the world?

building on this idea, maybe the reason celestial dragons are given whatever they want is so their pent up desires and dreams don't manifest into devil fruit powers.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

While this is true, it's not too hard to imagine that a pirate or bounty hunter or marine whose job involves travelling the world and coming into contact with powerful criminals had an adventure that caused them to find a fruit at some point. It's harder to explain for a young girl who's barely able to leave her house.

Chopper is almost as bad, I’d say. And there’s several other characters who apparently got their Devil Fruits as young children with no particular explanation. I can’t remember if we ever found out how Robin ate her Devil Fruit.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, I completely agree that, interesting tinfoil hat theories aside, it's completely normal that we just don't know how she got her fruit. That part isn't weird. That's how like 98% of people get their devil fruits. Including a bunch of kids.

I think speculating about something more going on is fun, but the lack of detail on the exact origin of the fruit is not at all suspicious on its own.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Something I've always found interesting about One Piece is how Real World Solutions are often used to explain the most absurd poo poo. Like the answer to Bonnie's Super Cancer wasn't magic or crazy sci-fi technobabble, it was just a loving stem-cell transplant.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Silver2195 posted:

Chopper is almost as bad, I’d say. And there’s several other characters who apparently got their Devil Fruits as young children with no particular explanation. I can’t remember if we ever found out how Robin ate her Devil Fruit.

There's a huge difference between someone who can roam freely around an entire island and someone who's stuck inside a single building every day (and all but the darkest of nights). That said, I'd be okay with her having found it hidden away deep within the church, since that would imply some sort of connection between the fruit and Nika.

Sure, the fruit might have simply spawned there that morning, but imo that's a much more boring adventure. Either way, I suspect Oda will show/tell us more by the end of the arc.

(That said, my faith in Oda has dipped a fair bit during the past couple of chapters...)

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Something I've always found interesting about One Piece is how Real World Solutions are often used to explain the most absurd poo poo. Like the answer to Bonnie's Super Cancer wasn't magic or crazy sci-fi technobabble, it was just a loving stem-cell transplant.

I laughed at that too. It's like if Chopper's dream to cure all diseases is fulfilled by finding an ancient CVS on Laugh Tale.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i think the point is one piece is building towards a more realistic explanation of how things work because there was a kingdom with super advanced technology that got wiped off the planet and that oda is going to base some of the fantasy in some basis of science

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I think there was an early SBS where Oda talked about the idea of science and technology encroaching on the fantastical world of the unknown, and you often see that idea cropping up throughout One Piece. It's most obvious with Vegapunk and his creations, naturally, but even as early as East Blue you had Kreig's amazing suit of tricks and Buggy blowing away whole towns with good-old chemical explosives.

Who remembers the Buggy Ball? I do Buggy. I remember the Buggy Ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Who remembers the Buggy Ball? I do Buggy. I remember the Buggy Ball.

I don't.