Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Munchie in a Thanksgiving coma is gonna hurt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
The Sustain-A-Band guitar that unbreaks is something that could have been found in the back of Agent J's closet.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Forgot Jennifer Love Hewitt was in this but then again I feel like I’ve deliberately forgotten a lot about this

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The Twinkie Czar posted:

The Sustain-A-Band guitar that unbreaks is something that could have been found in the back of Agent J's closet.
Back in the plastic instrument game days, the Guitar Hero III controller had a removable neck for storage purposes. Naturally, this meant you could pretend you were smashing the guitar by smacking the controller on the nearest couch or bed or other soft surface while holding the locking mechanism open.

This... probably wasn't very good for the longevity of the mechanism, come to think of it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This movie is timeless in the sense that it feels out of place in any time period

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It really was a bold choice to show death solving all a kid's problems, even as a dream sequence

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
The director of Munchie, Jim Wynorski, has a huge filmography including directing over 150 movies. Seems like he mostly did skin flicks but took a detour of two kids movies.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Munchie hurts to look at for extended periods

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

God damnit, Munchie is a hell of a thing to wake up to on a Friday morning.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Twinkie Czar posted:

The director of Munchie, Jim Wynorski, has a huge filmography including directing over 150 movies. Seems like he mostly did skin flicks but took a detour of two kids movies.

The dude made Chopping Mall which is an amazing must watch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Maxwell Lord posted:

The film, or the puppet?

Who am I kidding, we all know the answer is "both". :shepface:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The puppet specifically, the way he’s animated is just disturbing.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Maxwell Lord posted:

The puppet specifically, the way he’s animated is just disturbing.

Yeah it's incredibly off-putting.

And good lord, maybe Munchie shouldn't be leering at loving junior high school (at best) cheerleaders.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Maxwell Lord posted:

0.001 seconds counts as an extended period, right?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Oh right Monique Gabrielle is in this

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This has got some good riffs that I forgot about

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hiring Dom DeLuise to do loving Catskills level schtick in a kids movie sure was a choice.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I appreciate the Judy Tenuta ref

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"The slide whistle of imminent doom" lol

:geno: "behold. hijinx."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
I do like Dr. Donna St. Phibes.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Maxwell Lord posted:

I do like Dr. Donna St. Phibes.

Same.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
They really could not find someone to do a halfway awake Jack Nicholson impression

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Maxwell Lord posted:

They really could not find someone to do a halfway awake Jack Nicholson impression

I ask again -- this is a kids movie, were there really a lot of kids around cracking up about "Jack Nicholson is a womanizing rear end in a top hat" jokes in 1992? Cause I sure wasn't!

E:

Ruff Ryder's Anthem reference out of nowhere.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I ask again -- this is a kids movie, were there really a lot of kids around cracking up about "Jack Nicholson is a womanizing rear end in a top hat" jokes in 1992? Cause I sure wasn't!

E:

I mean I’m pretty sure this is a film for nobody

But honestly Nicholson was getting references in Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, he’d just been the Joker

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

E:

There were a lot of kids screaming and begging to be let out of the theater, surely.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean I’m pretty sure this is a film for nobody

But honestly Nicholson was getting references in Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, he’d just been the Joker

Yeah you're right. Of course Animaniacs was always at least partially for adults as well as kids, but yeah, Batman definitely introduced Nicholson to my generation even in Finland.

loving hell I had forgotten just how off-putting and awkward Munchie is. On the surface it looks like one of those movies, but everything is just off. The tone is weird, the jokes are rough and lean too far in some uncomfortable directions. What a loving mess of a movie.

I AM GRANDO posted:

There were a lot of kids screaming and begging to be let out of the theater, surely.

:hmmyes:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh god, Master Ninja II.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Peter Gabriel!

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Overall I preferred Master Ninja I, but I do love that General Timothy Van Patton sketch.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
I love that they got Penn Jilette to do their promos, gives me a nice warm feeling of Comedy Central nostalgia.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Catalina Caper was one of the enhanced episodes, right? I have to say the cast outlines look extremely like someone turned on 2xSaI in their emulator.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t get Joel’s fascination with trying to make MST3k fully HD. Part of the original show’s charm was often the extremely lovely and hosed up prints they were riffing. Not to mention how many great riffable b-grade and lower movies there are that just flat out don’t exist in anything close to pristine HD quality.

Manos is almost certainly the show’s most well-known movie and there’s literally a joke about how ‘every frame looks like someone’s last known photograph’. No one cares about the visual quality of the riffed movies, there’s little-to-no benefit in only riffing HD stuff in the new seasons or doing things like the upscales of old episodes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I don’t get Joel’s fascination with trying to make MST3k fully HD. Part of the original show’s charm was often the extremely lovely and hosed up prints they were riffing. Not to mention how many great riffable b-grade and lower movies there are that just flat out don’t exist in anything close to pristine HD quality.

Manos is almost certainly the show’s most well-known movie and there’s literally a joke about how ‘every frame looks like someone’s last known photograph’. No one cares about the visual quality of the riffed movies, there’s little-to-no benefit in only riffing HD stuff in the new seasons or doing things like the upscales of old episodes.

It's especially weird because it's the sort of thing you'd expect would happen if MST3K was being aired on TV again, where they are getting money from a network and have to meet certain expectations. That's obviously not the case, so why worry about it?

I also wonder if that's contributing to some of the costs and financial issues they're having. I know movie rights are a weird and not-so-wonderful thing, but I'd have to think trying to get the rights to doing higher-quality prints of movies adds some extra costs over getting prints that look like they aired on a UHF station back in the 80s.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It's especially weird because it's the sort of thing you'd expect would happen if MST3K was being aired on TV again, where they are getting money from a network and have to meet certain expectations. That's obviously not the case, so why worry about it?

I also wonder if that's contributing to some of the costs and financial issues they're having. I know movie rights are a weird and not-so-wonderful thing, but I'd have to think trying to get the rights to doing higher-quality prints of movies adds some extra costs over getting prints that look like they aired on a UHF station back in the 80s.

It could be as simple as media preservation, wanting a copy that looks "good" in modern media formats.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It could be as simple as media preservation, wanting a copy that looks "good" in modern media formats.

That may be, but then it's limiting the pool of crappy films they have to choose from, if Joel only wants HD quality ones. I don't think being in HD quality would have added to the experience of movies like Racket Girls or I Accuse My Parents or the Coleman Francis trilogy, for example.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sydney Bottocks posted:

That may be, but then it's limiting the pool of crappy films they have to choose from, if Joel only wants HD quality ones. I don't think being in HD quality would have added to the experience of movies like Racket Girls or I Accuse My Parents or the Coleman Francis trilogy, for example.

Oh, I meant the HD remastering, not the movie selections.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, I meant the HD remastering, not the movie selections.

Ah gotcha. Yeah, it's one of those weird "this because of that" sort of things. Joel's insistence on having HD quality movies means they might look "good" on Blu-ray or 4k streaming or whatever, but it limits the pool of movies they can use to only movies that are available in those formats, which means we don't get the types of movies that used to be staples of MST3K, that had a kind of charm (or sleaze) to them because the print they used was hazy or murky or whatnot.

Oddly enough, I think that does work in the favor of some of the older movies shown in the newer seasons, like the Gamera and Santo movies they did; even with a clean high quality print, they're still pretty low-budget movies with a certain charm to them. It's the newer ones they've done from the 90s and up that kind of leave me cold, for some reason.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Operation Kid Brother isn't a great movie by any means, but god drat I like the theme song.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Hiring Dom DeLuise to do loving Catskills level schtick in a kids movie sure was a choice.

What's weird is this isn't the only time he's done it. He also played an irritating talking magical skateboard in The Skateboard Kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

muscles like this! posted:

What's weird is this isn't the only time he's done it. He also played an irritating talking magical skateboard in The Skateboard Kid.

Oh poo poo, you're right. I guess he was a cheap hire?