Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

zedprime posted:

After 20 years of Weidu I still can't believe no one has created better way to use batch files to save template settings and reapply them for yourself or friends later.

I think you can fake it somewhere, especially if you get industrious about using a DLC packer for the actual EEs. But it was inconclusive last time I was looking at what the best way to duplicate settings between two PCs. The common answer, just move the install folder like it's still 2003)

Like 20 years on, we should have a checkbox gui by now.

Project Infinity is fairly janky but it more or less accomplishes this.

There used to be the Big World installer (and Roxanne's version of same).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Air Skwirl posted:

I think it's just because it works well enough there's not a ton of pressure to make a new one.

Also because everything is designed for Weidu. You can come up with a new system probably, but then 90% of the mods at least won't be using it. And can this new system and the way Weidu currently works work together without problems? If not you have wasted your time.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

zedprime posted:

After 20 years of Weidu I still can't believe no one has created better way to use batch files to save template settings and reapply them for yourself or friends later.

I think you can fake it somewhere, especially if you get industrious about using a DLC packer for the actual EEs. But it was inconclusive last time I was looking at what the best way to duplicate settings between two PCs. The common answer, just move the install folder like it's still 2003)

Like 20 years on, we should have a checkbox gui by now.

Weidu is fine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

docbeard posted:

Project Infinity is fairly janky but it more or less accomplishes this.

There used to be the Big World installer (and Roxanne's version of same).
I think Project Infinity is what I was looking for. Big World always sounded like too much trouble. I already set up BG2 tweaks install on my laptop but maybe I'll install it and try it out to sync settings between my laptop and PC.

goblin week posted:

Weidu is fine.
Fine is fine but I don't want fine I want a package manager.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
According to GOG I played Icewind Dale
for 71 hours 8 years ago. BG1 and 2 for 120 hours also 8 years ago.

I have no memory of this.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
well, what was going on in your life in 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I have no idea. I really have no memory of any of the games.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
You probably launched the games and then went on ~3-5 day binges and forgot to shut the games down

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I have posts in the thread from that many years ago but honestly do not remember playing Icewind Dale at all. Not for 71 hours.

I'll definitely play them again. Although was disappointed because I tried out Baldur's Gate enhanced but when leaving the game it crashed.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I would like to play them again as if it was the first time, have fun!

I would not like to learn about THACO again.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So what’s the word on IWD2EE? How gonzo are its added mechanics?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Basic Chunnel posted:

So what’s the word on IWD2EE? How gonzo are its added mechanics?

If you're in doubt, you can always just install the engine enhancements, it's all modular anyway.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Fruits of the sea posted:

I would like to play them again as if it was the first time, have fun!

I would not like to learn about THACO again.

Thac0 is ingrained in my bones. When I'm in the old folks home and dementia riddled I'll still be able to explain Thac0

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Explaining how THAC0 works is easy algebra. Explaining why you would use THAC0 is the problem.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

If you're in doubt, you can always just install the engine enhancements, it's all modular anyway.
I just means in terms of feel -- how new mechanics are abstracted and implemented into the IE. IME it's pretty rare for extensive TCs to "gel" with old design, and as a result you have this weird over-complication, especially with UI cruft, and you can tell where things were extended into their own thing rather than integrated into the existing structure. Like the Skyrim survival mods where you have the standard UI but then to access mod content you use a special firefly-based holographic UI that is only accessed through placing a special campfire. Or in NWN2 (already an overcomplicated UI) where the most popular auto-buffing mod created a special wand you script-tagged spells to and activated as an item from the inventory screen. The best TCs are relatively seamless.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Setting up a modded BG2EE on the iPad turned out to be a lot easier than I thought. You install mods as usual on your desktop of choice then zip up folders and get them to the iPad where the BG2EE app will install them itself.

The only annoying step is you have to mod the version running on the iPad which is an old 2.5 version. They have links to old versions of iTunes that will let you get it off the iPad, but I did :files: to get hold of the iPad image.

Controls very well with touch, surprisingly so. Can't use EEex and mods that rely on it. I want Ascension/SCS/Tweaks, but there are folks with huge mod installs running fine on the iPad. I didn't try any HUD mods since they seem to assume a 16:9 screen while it's 4:3 on the iPad. But EEUITweaks works well to restore some of the older UI with improved details, which looks really nice.

Here's where I tracked the mods I installed, a link to the write up I followed is at the top: https://gist.github.com/v1ld/cb35e9676cfdd8894b997a3ea2500514

The only advice I'd add is that you should download the files into the iPad before sending them to the BG2EE app, not just click on them in cloud storage and hope iOS will download them and then send them to the app. Google Drive was making that difficult, it wouldn't let me download it directly so I uninstalled the Drive app and used Safari to go to the Drive web page and force downloaded the files. Then used the iOS Files app to send the files to the app, just like in the linked article. Oh, be sure to set compression off when zipping the files.

You need to install the A7 Texture conversation mod as the last mod so it can convert some image files to iOS format; select option 7 for iOS. Can grab it from the original forums post link.

This should also work on iPhone or Android.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Nov 24, 2023

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Does anybody know wtfs even going on now at Beamdog? Did they finally pull the plug on their almost biyearly patch cycle? Ive been kind of hoping for the Nintendo Switch controls on PC/Steam Deck this whole time, but, uh...

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

wizard2 posted:

Does anybody know wtfs even going on now at Beamdog? Did they finally pull the plug on their almost biyearly patch cycle? Ive been kind of hoping for the Nintendo Switch controls on PC/Steam Deck this whole time, but, uh...

They were owned by Embracer and got hit with the big layoff wave a couple months ago so who knows.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

wizard2 posted:

I would have no hope of this ever happening. I kind of doubt these games are ever getting patched again.

SpacePope
Nov 9, 2009

And their new release, Mythforce, didn't do too well.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Would've been nice if they'd updated all their releases to the same version at least. iOS is still on v2.5.x, last updated July 2018. The PC and, I assume, Switch code is at 2.6.x.

2.6 is different enough to where at least one mod I've seen has pre- & post-2.6 versions/instructions. And mods like SCS simply state 2.6 as a requirement.

Clean up the place before you turn off the lights.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really wish they had been able to patch the console controls in so I could play on steam deck easier. Sucks what embracer group has done too.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wow they decided their big follow-up to years of Baldur's Gate should be an 80s cartoon-inspired Roguelike, huh. Yeah that was definitely a choice they could have made. Granted I am sure they were sick of the relentless negativity from the shithead segment of the audience that hated everything they did because it was not "incorporate every mod into the base game"

They did not even get a good cheesy 80s voiceover dude to do the preview video. Pathetic.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mr E posted:

I really wish they had been able to patch the console controls in so I could play on steam deck easier. Sucks what embracer group has done too.

E: Never mind. I get what you mean now - the Switch controls that let you directly guide player 1 using the joystick. Yeah, that'd be nice to have even on PC.

Leaving this here in case someone finds it useful sometime.

The console works for me on the Deck same way as on Windows: editing Baldur.lua as the wiki says.

Where the file is on the Deck depends on whether you're running the Linux or Windows version. Steam installs the Linux version by default, but you can force the use of the Windows version if you want to mod the game.

Linux: /home/deck/.local/share/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Baldur.lua
Windows BG1: /home/deck/steamapps/compatdata/228280/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Baldur.lua
Windows BG2: /home/deck/steamapps/compatdata/257350/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Documents/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/Baldur.lua

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The EEex mod has added a couple of features since the last time I looked at it. Pressing Shift to see what spells/effects are active on a character is still the most useful, of course.

quote:

Time step module - Advance 1 game tick on keypress

This component enables a keybinding, (by default ‘d’), that when the game is paused, advances time by the minimum amount. The key essentially causes the game to unpause and then pause again extremely quickly. Additionally, holding the key for half a second makes time flow until it is released.

To change the keybinding, open override/B3TimeStep.lua and alter the following line:

B3TimeStep_Key = EEex_Key_GetFromName("d")

Hotkey module - Edit override/B3Hotkey.lua to create advanced spell hotkeys

This component enables the override/B3Hotkey.lua file, which can be edited to create spell casting hotkeys that support multi-key sequences and modifier keys. The top of the file includes examples which demonstrate how the keybindings are defined.

Note that when this module is enabled, by default the backtick (`) key toggles keycode printouts. When this toggle is enabled, any time a key is pressed EEex will output the pressed key’s keycode to the combat log. This keybinding can be changed or disabled in override/B3Hotkey.lua.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

BG2EE modded on the Steam Deck looks quite good. Dragonspear UI++ fits perfectly into the 1280x800 screen and exposes more on the sides than the default UI, which felt a bit claustrophobic.

The red line next to Imoen's portrait is the modal status bar from EEex which shows when her next thieving check for Detect Traps will fire. All those mods work on the Deck, including the hover for spell effects and the nifty extended spell menu.

This is zoomed almost all the way in, you can zoom out just as far as on any PC. Ignore the broken portrait on the main char, it's an export of an old char. I didn't install portrait packs on the Deck.

Game uses very little power. The Deck estimates more than 10 hours of play on a single charge, which is the most I've seen for any game yet.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I wanted to ask if anyone had played IWD2 EE as well, as I was just reading the readme for it. I'm sorry to hear about the instability... not terribly surprised, but still sad. I heard that Josh did a stream about a fortnight ago where he talked about the lost IWD2 source code, and I wondered if he had interacted with the fan EE at all. He does/used to post in this thread sometimes.

Edit: Oh, apparently the whole two-hour stream was on this very mod. I did not know that when I posted, I just heard that he did a stream. I should have known that it wasn't a coincidence that this stream happened a week after the initial release of EE after that closed beta.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
If there are any old NWN persistent world players in here, or just D&D fans who want to do tabletop-style D&D adventuring & roleplaying in an online videogame, I thought it might be worth shouting out the Daggerford server that I work on.
We are advertising a bit more widely right now because we recently got an awesome new Dungeon Master who is very active (and only occasionally slaughters us in droves): https://www.reddit.com/r/neverwinternights/comments/184pxme/daggerford_server_neverwinter_nights_remastered/

Our website: https://www.alfanwn1.org/sea-of-swords/

Also we have done our best to make NWN look very shiney and not terrible-looking:

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 27, 2023

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

SCS just updated. Some cool changes, including a Pillars of Eternity style rations system to limit resting.

E: The timing is great as I'm just starting a BG2 run. The last major update came out a few months before I did a full BG1EE run. Good to be on the same schedule as DavidW.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 27, 2023

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
Oh thats good news, 34.3 was beginning to show its age and was quite buggy.

The Innate Sequencers/Contingencies component being back is great too, no more save-scumming before going upstairs in the Five Flagons Inn to get an almost impossibly rare Spell Trigger scroll before Saradush. Its not the only place you can get random level 8 scrolls from containers, but its close.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

JustJeff88 posted:

I wanted to ask if anyone had played IWD2 EE as well, as I was just reading the readme for it. I'm sorry to hear about the instability... not terribly surprised, but still sad. I heard that Josh did a stream about a fortnight ago where he talked about the lost IWD2 source code, and I wondered if he had interacted with the fan EE at all. He does/used to post in this thread sometimes.

Edit: Oh, apparently the whole two-hour stream was on this very mod. I did not know that when I posted, I just heard that he did a stream. I should have known that it wasn't a coincidence that this stream happened a week after the initial release of EE after that closed beta.

As an update, the mod is being updated after release, once I went up to the newer version i haven't had a single crash! Their discord is actually super responsive too, I joined that and posted some logs and they indicated update should be done, no issues since really.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

ratchild13 posted:

As an update, the mod is being updated after release, once I went up to the newer version i haven't had a single crash! Their discord is actually super responsive too, I joined that and posted some logs and they indicated update should be done, no issues since really.

Thank you for letting me know. I'm not sure which components of the mod I intend to use. My biggest problem with vanilla IWD2 was the experience system. I did not at all like the punitive/diminishing returns as the game goes on, and I do not like how max level is essentially right before one gets the best tricks. I'm trying to find an option where characters hit level 18, when the last spells show up, with the last part of the game to go. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I'm wary of using Discord because the people on there are bloody freaks, but it is a good way to get quick responses.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Thank you for letting me know. I'm not sure which components of the mod I intend to use. My biggest problem with vanilla IWD2 was the experience system. I did not at all like the punitive/diminishing returns as the game goes on, and I do not like how max level is essentially right before one gets the best tricks. I'm trying to find an option where characters hit level 18, when the last spells show up, with the last part of the game to go. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I'm wary of using Discord because the people on there are bloody freaks, but it is a good way to get quick responses.

unless they changed it in the mod, wizards/clerics/druids get their level 9 spells at level 17. it's only sorcerers that have 9th level spells delayed to class level 18.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

El Grillo posted:

If there are any old NWN persistent world players in here, or just D&D fans who want to do tabletop-style D&D adventuring & roleplaying in an online videogame, I thought it might be worth shouting out the Daggerford server that I work on.
We are advertising a bit more widely right now because we recently got an awesome new Dungeon Master who is very active (and only occasionally slaughters us in droves): https://www.reddit.com/r/neverwinternights/comments/184pxme/daggerford_server_neverwinter_nights_remastered/

Our website: https://www.alfanwn1.org/sea-of-swords/

Also we have done our best to make NWN look very shiney and not terrible-looking:

That looks fantastic. I wish I had time to play, because it seems to me that's how NWN is best experienced.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Icewind Dale 2 has a level cap at thirty, but according to a post on the gamefaq forum I saw while looking for this, party average xp will be a little less than what you need for 17th level, I think the higher level limit is for heart of fury mode, essentially New Game+.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yeah there are options for un-nerfing some xp gain, monster CR, and other stuff in the setup, it uses a WEIDU setup just like other infinity mods. There's other options as well, expanded spell lists, armor adding DR, that sort of thing. I had to turn off a few of the options that made encounters a bit tougher, even on normal it was turning the glacier fights into a pain in the rear end instead of fun, even with decent buffs and a not terrible party. Haven't noticed anything weird so far about the folks on the discord for it, just questions about the mod mainly.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

biscuits and crazy posted:

Oh thats good news, 34.3 was beginning to show its age and was quite buggy.

The Innate Sequencers/Contingencies component being back is great too, no more save-scumming before going upstairs in the Five Flagons Inn to get an almost impossibly rare Spell Trigger scroll before Saradush. Its not the only place you can get random level 8 scrolls from containers, but its close.

Yeah, this working again is fantastic, it means I can cut another mod out entirely. Tome and Blood (I think, but don't quote me on that) also adds this but the implementation is a bit buggy.

Some of the other changes look cool (and others I'm less sold on but I'll be curious to see how they work out in practice).

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Air Skwirl posted:

Icewind Dale 2 has a level cap at thirty, but according to a post on the gamefaq forum I saw while looking for this, party average xp will be a little less than what you need for 17th level, I think the higher level limit is for heart of fury mode, essentially New Game+.

Correct. I do not intend to multi-class with perhaps one tiny exception, and I just want my full casters to be able to get their full spell selection with some time to enjoy them. If I have to, I will exploit the import/export feature with the 10k exp book. Even with the EE changes, I doubt that I have the patience for HoF mode. I haven't played vanilla in years, but I remember a thing that I did with having a character with one level in rogue and the rest in bard. I think that this makes traps & locks as class skills throughout, but it's been ages.

ratchild13 posted:

Yeah there are options for un-nerfing some xp gain, monster CR, and other stuff in the setup, it uses a WEIDU setup just like other infinity mods. There's other options as well, expanded spell lists, armor adding DR, that sort of thing. I had to turn off a few of the options that made encounters a bit tougher, even on normal it was turning the glacier fights into a pain in the rear end instead of fun, even with decent buffs and a not terrible party. Haven't noticed anything weird so far about the folks on the discord for it, just questions about the mod mainly.

Which exp system are you playing with? There's vanilla, of course, but I think that EE introduces two others that are more generous.

ratchild13
Apr 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Better XP Progression -> Completely unnerfed challenge ratings: enemy CR is always equal to their level and Enemies give the same amount of experience regardless of the party's level -> Enemies give 35 * CR experience, enough for a six-character party to reach level 18-19 by the end of the game. These options should keep non ECL characters up, I have a drow ranger in the lead of leveling, but even my half orc is at 34k vs. 39k at the ice temple. Probably wind up close to same in a level or 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

SCS v35's changelog mentions at least 3 new mods that will be released, including this little snippet: "Changed the nomenclature of the spell states SCS uses to detect immunity items from (e.g.) ITEM_CHARM to (e.g.) CHARM_IMMUNITY, to match the conventions for the forthcoming EE fixpack and save on spellstate bloat." (Emphasis mine.)

The other 2 mods mentioned are Stratagems of Mystra which seems to be a spells and spell tweaks pack and a new Talents of Faerun that includes at the very least kits and a proficiencies overhaul.

Sounds like DavidW has been busy. He was a consultant on the EEs, by the way. Saw him say that on the Beamdog forums in a dev AMA thread. That's pretty cool, didn't know Beamdog reached out to the community for the EEs.

On the negative side, v35 removes some fixes because they're already in v2.6. Understandable, but iPad isn't at v26 and falls further behind in moddability.