Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I went all-in on launch damage, energy and picking up bigger objects and I had a pretty great time of it. Did my best to minimize points when I'd have to use the gun because I am spoiled for choice if I want a third person shooter with a two gun limit these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nintendo, actually

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Arist posted:

The thing I keep hearing about the Squid Game reality series is "This is a tragedy in its basic concept and incredibly unethically run in practice. Unfortunately, it's also extremely good television."

It's not good television. It's boring in its execution and also because if you watched the show, you know what games they are going to play and it's far less interesting than on the show because the games are simple and nobody dies. Devils Plan is way more entertaining for example.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If the contestants are miserable then it’s actually good

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Ohtori Akio posted:

i dont even post in that thread

lol owned

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Scott Pilgrim anime seems cool six episodes in, I’m kinda genuinely perplexed by people who are mad about it though because having an alternate timeline where the evil exes collectively realize their plan was really goofy and bad and they get some degree of actual resolution (because Ramona was kind of the problem most of the time) seems way cooler than Scott just murdering eight tools and being lowkey kinda lovely, at least as a guy who only read one volume of the book.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ohtori Akio posted:

i dont even post in that thread

lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
scott is the least interesting character in scott pilgrim, as someone who doesn't even really feel that strongly negative towards him, so the idea of getting mad about a version of the story that focuses more on the good parts is funny to me

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just like MGS 2 all over again....

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sakurazuka posted:

Just like MGS 2 all over again....

But tomorrow isn't April 30th?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Spent my turkey day watching the Lions keep up the proud tradition of eating dirt on Thanksgiving. Then after I went home since I had been talking about it with a pal recently I rewatched Birth. Not a good anime, but an interesting one. All in all, a good day.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Srice posted:

Spent my turkey day watching the Lions keep up the proud tradition of eating dirt on Thanksgiving. Then after I went home since I had been talking about it with a pal recently I rewatched Birth. Not a good anime, but an interesting one. All in all, a good day.

my brother's fiance's family hosted thanksgiving this year and fried up a bunch of venison as well as serving the classics. it was all great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I was at the bar for wing night and there were lots of Americans out to watch Thanksgiving football.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Srice posted:

Yeah, the plot is pretty garbage and the ending is just a downer, but it has a lot of neat animation sequences of riding around on a hoverbike and explosions.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

scott is the least interesting character in scott pilgrim, as someone who doesn't even really feel that strongly negative towards him, so the idea of getting mad about a version of the story that focuses more on the good parts is funny to me

Tbh it kinda feels like they specifically made it as a pseudo-sequel, like just as someone who’s heard about the comic but not read a lot of it the plot being “we got married and separated because Ramona has commitment problems and Scott is a giant baby who just went for the most insane solution possible instead of just talking to her kinda seems like a genuine attempt to further explore those characters and their flaws but maybe not?

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Namtab posted:

If the contestants are miserable then it’s actually good

same, especially i'm pretty sure most of them are wannabe social media influencers who signed up that totally ham up the role they're given, especially the over the top 'villain'

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Last Celebration posted:

Tbh it kinda feels like they specifically made it as a pseudo-sequel, like just as someone who’s heard about the comic but not read a lot of it the plot being “we got married and separated because Ramona has commitment problems and Scott is a giant baby who just went for the most insane solution possible instead of just talking to her kinda seems like a genuine attempt to further explore those characters and their flaws but maybe not?

yeah i liked the show a lot, great style and they went for something unique which was cool. i have no idea what the backlash is because other than this website i'm incredibly offline at this point but i imagine it's stupid.

i think i agree that the attempt was made to further explore the characters and the bits where scott is gone worked really well for me, but once he came back the timeline poo poo was a muddled way of getting a crowd pleaser ending with the fight and him still landing ramona and subsequently i didn't feel like they grappled as hard with the fact that scott sucks rear end as they should have.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Julias posted:

Yeah, the plot is pretty garbage and the ending is just a downer, but it has a lot of neat animation sequences of riding around on a hoverbike and explosions.

Yea. I see it as a historical curio, or for folks who get so into the nitty-gritty of animation that they really wanna see certain animation techniques regardless of how the animation itself works at telling the narrative. Some cool stuff to it but it ain't easy to make a movie that's basically one long chase sequence and keep it compelling throughout.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio posted:

symbolic........please lol

oh poo poo i just woke up

but also lol

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Srice posted:

Yea. I see it as a historical curio, or for folks who get so into the nitty-gritty of animation that they really wanna see certain animation techniques regardless of how the animation itself works at telling the narrative. Some cool stuff to it but it ain't easy to make a movie that's basically one long chase sequence and keep it compelling throughout.

Even though it's a different kind of animation style, i definitely definitely feel Venus Wars works much better as a cool spectacle film with an actual cohesive narrative, likeable characters, and actual themes. It's not perfect by any means, but it was a hell of a leap forward from Birth imo.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Pain

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

it's been queued

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

symbolic posted:

it's been queued

thank u

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

https://images-ext-2.discordapp.net...o/pray-rezo.mp4

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Southern Cassowary posted:

yeah i liked the show a lot, great style and they went for something unique which was cool. i have no idea what the backlash is because other than this website i'm incredibly offline at this point but i imagine it's stupid.

i think i agree that the attempt was made to further explore the characters and the bits where scott is gone worked really well for me, but once he came back the timeline poo poo was a muddled way of getting a crowd pleaser ending with the fight and him still landing ramona and subsequently i didn't feel like they grappled as hard with the fact that scott sucks rear end as they should have.

Taken as just the show I'd agree but it really does feel like a complementary work to the comics and the last few volumes of those are all about how Scott sucks rear end so as a whole I think it comes out pretty well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Julias posted:

Even though it's a different kind of animation style, i definitely definitely feel Venus Wars works much better as a cool spectacle film with an actual cohesive narrative, likeable characters, and actual themes. It's not perfect by any means, but it was a hell of a leap forward from Birth imo.

Yea definitely, as far as 80s animator-driven sci-fi anime go that's a much better pick. I might have to revisit that one too.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Yas...

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Yas ftw.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oh thank gently caress the week is done. We are down to 3 staff because someone brought covid in. I am so utterly exhausted mentally and physically.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Not even enough energy left to look up something new to watch, despite being in the mood for some sci-fi shenanigans.

e: Maybe I will just finish Claymore.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

i survived black friday

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i didnt

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
lol the dub version of Fruits Basket cuts the OP and ED songs (at least on Hulu). You only get the last few seconds of the OP, and the ED is just a background melody to the next episode preview.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

weird, its not one of those automatic skip to next episode ones like on netflix?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i thought that at first too, but no.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I read SP for the first time just before starting the show and if I'd done so before now I'd probably vaguely get it being a thing all the way back in 2004 without doing much for me, but with the show it's fun to see how much more naturally it handles things nearly 20 years later.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Taken as just the show I'd agree but it really does feel like a complementary work to the comics and the last few volumes of those are all about how Scott sucks rear end so as a whole I think it comes out pretty well.

i read a volume or two of scott pilgrim like 15 years ago and saw the movie when it came out but never finished the comic. i've heard similar from comic fans and i've made a mental note to read through it at some point in the near future so i can compare.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the movie is okay but, basically shaves off everything kind of interesting about the writing of the comics because all of it required more time to focus on characters other than scott

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
had some good music and casting choices at least (mostly kim pine and envy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I will always love this little scene from the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ5kjjk-J4U