Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been doing general collecting in Ghostwire Tokyo because I'm at the point of no return now, and I like the ways it makes it less of a slog. X-Loving Nekomatas can mark all their items on the map so that you can find them all to sell them, and the spirit collection at least breaks itself up in the same way as the riddler trophies in the Rocksteady Batman games by giving dialog at certain milestones to advance a subplot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Wrong thread

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Cleretic posted:

The Super Mario RPG remake has an enemy bestiary that really understands the sense of humor of SNES-era Square. But one of them just quietly blew the minds of everyone who saw it.

https://twitter.com/KirbyCheatFurby/status/1726815235531735530

Sure enough, there just aren't swords in mainline Mario games, you can check. And the few that exist in Mario spinoffs are almost exclusively pirate cutlasses, so none of those would be named Excalibur, either!

https://www.mariowiki.com/Kinoko_Sword

owned

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

"Uh, excuse me, the poster clearly stated mainline GAME, while what you posted was from a MANGA, and clearly not a game, let alone a MAINLINE game."
:goonsay:

It's a moot point because there are enemies that have swords in Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, a whole 2 years before Super Mario RPG. Sure it eventually became a seperate series, but it was still part of the main Mario games at that point.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
wario land isn't mario's world. it's in the name even

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

flatluigi posted:

wario land isn't mario's world. it's in the name even

Yeah what the gently caress. Mods??

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Peach is gonna have a sword in Princess Peach Showtime though

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

codenameFANGIO posted:

Woke madness

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

codenameFANGIO posted:

Smithy introduced swords to the kingdom so now the use of swords has proliferated.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Morpheus posted:

Smithy introduced swords to the kingdom so now the use of swords has proliferated.

"So, picture an axe, like we keep next to every bridge... But it's longer, and you can poke people with the end of it"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Phy posted:

"So, picture an axe, like we keep next to every bridge... But it's longer, and you can poke people with the end of it"

Ohhh I get it... a halberd!

Lavender Spliffs
Nov 12, 2023

Cleretic posted:

Sure enough, there just aren't swords in mainline Mario games, you can check. And the few that exist in Mario spinoffs are almost exclusively pirate cutlasses, so none of those would be named Excalibur, either!

https://youtu.be/LKJgefPZnLI?si=Mlo3uRCMvsz8KWwb

2nd phase of the king ghost boss fight in luigi's mansion 3. Is that main series enough?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Luigi's Mansion, while good, is definitely not a main series mario game. Enjoy you'are ban

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
Isn't Mario from fuckin Brooklyn? Dude knows what a sword is

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

I think they retconned that and Mario was now born in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Can a machete be excalibur?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm watching a supercut of an astrophysicist play through Outer Wilds, and man, I will never get tired of watching someone play through this game, organically piecing each puzzle piece together, sometimes even finding solutions before they're presented. The game is just so well put together.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I am way late to the party, but I've finally found the time to have a proper go at Disco Elysium. Lots of stuff to love about it, but a smaller thing I really like is how they paced out the quests and their resolutions. In the first couple of days, when everything is confusing and you have no idea what the gently caress, you're picking up new quests left and right whether you want to or not. Soon enough your quest log is just filled to the brim and it feels almost impossible to get a handle on things.

But then a few days later there's an inflection point where suddenly you're finally resolving quests in rapid succession after carrying them around for half the game. Suddenly the quest log is nice and tidy, with only a few of the absolutely most central quests remaining. It dovetails really nicely with both the player and the protagonist getting their poo poo together (well, to the degree he ever has it together) and getting a clearer picture of what's going on.

Apart from that, the game also just hit me with one of my favourite moments in any game ever (high-grade spoilers ahead): The phasmid appearance. Just before then, the game was at its absolute lowest point tonally. The massacre you've been working all game to avoid has still (sort of) happened, and you've finally gotten a taste of the thing that has brought Harry to self-annihilation. Even the impending resolution of the murder case feels stale and disappointing.

But then the phasmid steps in and it's just magical. A sudden moment of whimsy and mystery when you least expect it. A reminder that there's more to the world than just misery, disappointment, and capitalism. And it's just perfectly timed for the greatest effect. :allears:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah I think that is the reason the game is truly loved. Just a high fine perfectly judged note at the exact right time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm currently playing the update-exclusive missions in Ghostwire Tokyo in the elementary school - I like the second missions atmosphere going through the hosed up mirror version of the school where the whole place is ruined and you have to use secret passages to avoid the ghost in the mirror as while in the first one there was only one of her but in the second there are many all over, and looking at her hurts you so you have to use the ghost-vision to see through walls. I also like that even after the second one it's already mixing things up where now I'm following a weird entity that's leaving greasy, oily trails where they move through the school that I've had to follow to a third mirror.

The atmosphere in the game is really cool. Haven't done the actual ending yet though as I want to explore more first.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I'm playing through Oddworld New n Tasty and it really feels like my memories of the original Abe's Oddysey.
Other than looking gorgeous, the sound design is top notch, I really love how when you possess a slig the music gets an extra layer of heavy 90s drum machine industrial kick and snare

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Project Zomboid got an update where the doors now swing open and I love how psyched the devs seem to be about it :3:

Project Zomboid posted:

SWING BOTH WAYS
Another exciting addition to the build 42 tech upgrade branch has just dropped.

The tech upgrade branch is what contains our optimizations, improved view cone, basement/skyscraper technology and now… an immersive improvement that we’ve wanted for a long time, that could potentially lead to many cool additional gameplay opportunities that weren’t possible before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev2genBbzb4

That’s right, kids, doors have now entered the third dimension.

Where before doors would just flip instantly on the tile the moment they are opened or closed, now they are animated and use the tech branch’s depth buffer.

This is obviously a huge improvement for immersion, but could potentially lead to cool new mechanics in future (note, certainly not b42’s initial release) like opening doors at different speeds, doors being left slightly open, peeking, bashing open, one-way fire doors and such.

While easy to overlook, our doors are pretty much unchanged since the 0.1.5d days yet also one of the most fundamental things about PZ gameplay – so getting some visual niceness, and some future gameplay opportunities, feels like a win.

So let’s have a quick noisy vid in which doors open and slam shut in unison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Wbt795liVQ

(In future we clearly also already have the tech to have doors and visibly opening and closing on vehicles too, it’s already in the code and used by many mods, however in the main game it’s always been the plan to couple this to in-car character animations, visible interiors and such.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

In Stars And Time is a newly released indie RPG with a fairly simple premise: You are a member of an end-of-the-game JRPG party who is going to face the final boss. However even the castle up to him is full of traps and danger and the first time you die your protagonist is sent back in time to the start of the day. As you'd guess from a time loop game you have to go through multiple times in order to find the correct path to get the right ending, which can involve leaping back and forth to different points in time.

What I really appreciate is that the game spends a lot of time focusing on how much this is loving up the protagonist. Early on they are kind of horrified and shocked that they screwed up and everyone they know would be dead if not for the mysterious loop, but gradually they start to enjoy it, and then find new things out about their friends... and then gradually it starts to lose its luster and they begin to grow depressed and upset over the fact they've converted talking to their friends into optimal actions.

This is reflecting in their internal dialogue where the first time through it's genuine, but after a few times of seeing the same event it might change to something like "stick to the script" or wishing someone would get to the point or actively growing disgusted with themselves as they repeat a genuine and heartfelt conversation beat-for-beat because they know it is optimal, even though they are just pretending to feel the same emotions they felt the first time.

It gives the entire thing a sense of consequence that a lot of time loop stuff genuinely lacks. This isn't a case of "Lol, just gonna try again, let's speedrun this poo poo" but actually deals with the ongoing misery that would come from having a heartfelt moment with a dear friend and then having to repeat it over... and over... and over...

It even plays out in skills. You can do quests for your party members to get them powerful skills but upon subsequent redos of the quests you can choose to 'zone out' and just go through the motions, and if you do you still get the skills but they're weaker than before because you half-assed it.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I really like the full art for the monster and survivor logs in Risk of Rain Returns

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hattie Masters posted:

Isn't Mario from fuckin Brooklyn? Dude knows what a sword is

An early game and watch title establishes Mario was in 'nam, he saw friends burn to death in that jungle hell when a careless smoker set an leaky barrel of oil on fire, or get blown up by their own weapons when their bombing runs were counterattacked by the viet kong.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

In Stars And Time is a newly released indie RPG with a fairly simple premise: You are a member of an end-of-the-game JRPG party who is going to face the final boss. However even the castle up to him is full of traps and danger and the first time you die your protagonist is sent back in time to the start of the day. As you'd guess from a time loop game you have to go through multiple times in order to find the correct path to get the right ending, which can involve leaping back and forth to different points in time.

What I really appreciate is that the game spends a lot of time focusing on how much this is loving up the protagonist. Early on they are kind of horrified and shocked that they screwed up and everyone they know would be dead if not for the mysterious loop, but gradually they start to enjoy it, and then find new things out about their friends... and then gradually it starts to lose its luster and they begin to grow depressed and upset over the fact they've converted talking to their friends into optimal actions.

I presume there’s some plot point preventing them from revealing the loop?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Roboquest has an interesting way of keeping lower tier drops worthwhile. There's an upgrade that reduces the cost of rerolling weapon affixes by 1 as long as you have their museum card (which boils down to killing a bunch of enemies with that weapon or buying it with metaprogression currency when it's randomly offered by a special NPC).

Well, by default green and blue tier weapons only cost 1 power cell to reroll their affixes, resulting in free rerolls. This makes lower tier weapons insanely flexible and essentially fully customizable. Meanwhile higher tier weapons still benefit from the same perk and continue to act as "ooh shiny" random loot.

It uh, honestly might be too good because if you know what you're doing you can roll your perfect blue gun and beat the game with that no problem. But I suppose it helps that Roboquest is an FPS roguelite so the balance ramifications are different. That approach probably wouldn't work in a game with regular progression.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

I presume there’s some plot point preventing them from revealing the loop?

Yes. It takes a bit to get there but makes perfect sense once it does

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_RpbaUU7NI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW4tbAFC6cM

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Also playing In Stars and Time: Bonnie is an absolute menace and I’m 100% here for their antics.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Morpheus posted:

I'm watching a supercut of an astrophysicist play through Outer Wilds, and man, I will never get tired of watching someone play through this game, organically piecing each puzzle piece together, sometimes even finding solutions before they're presented. The game is just so well put together.

Can you provide link?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Samovar posted:

Can you provide link?

I happen to have just watched it as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6Izbo0Evs

I love how he almost instantly recognizes the abnormally high rate of supernovas in the sky because, duh, astrophysicist

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

ImpAtom posted:

As a lover of time-loop media, I must have this. One thing though, what's the battle system like?

I remember reading the creator was inspired by Tales of (specifically Symphonia), which had a very action-y/active battle system. However, other places say In Stars and Time has an ATB system (aka the bane of my existence), like FF7.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

This is reflecting in their internal dialogue where the first time through it's genuine, but after a few times of seeing the same event it might change to something like "stick to the script" or wishing someone would get to the point or actively growing disgusted with themselves as they repeat a genuine and heartfelt conversation beat-for-beat because they know it is optimal, even though they are just pretending to feel the same emotions they felt the first time.

It gives the entire thing a sense of consequence that a lot of time loop stuff genuinely lacks. This isn't a case of "Lol, just gonna try again, let's speedrun this poo poo" but actually deals with the ongoing misery that would come from having a heartfelt moment with a dear friend and then having to repeat it over... and over... and over...

It even plays out in skills. You can do quests for your party members to get them powerful skills but upon subsequent redos of the quests you can choose to 'zone out' and just go through the motions, and if you do you still get the skills but they're weaker than before because you half-assed it.

Is it actual trial and error, find the solution by repeating based gameplay, or faux linear trial and error?

Still sounds interesting but I think I'd prefer the latter personally.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

As a lover of time-loop media, I must have this. One thing though, what's the battle system like?

I remember reading the creator was inspired by Tales of (specifically Symphonia), which had a very action-y/active battle system. However, other places say In Stars and Time has an ATB system (aka the bane of my existence), like FF7.

It's neither, it's completely standard turn-based. You have 4.5 party members, your main cast + the tagalog kid who will semi-randomly act and otherwise is who keeps your items and throws them at you.

Combat is literally rock-paper-scissors in that those are the 'elements' in the game, with the standard Rock beats Paper beats Scissors beats Rock, which you can usually tell by looking at the 'hands' of the enemy you're facing. Generally combat boils down to trying to get a Jackpot by using the same sign 5 times in a row while keeping your party alive and it isn't overly punishing, with characters learning new skills as the game progresses that allow you to buff/heal/pass turns around/etc. It's designed to be pretty swift and breezy.

Pretty distinct is how leveling works. Every time loop your characters get reset except the protagonist who retains all their skills/levels. (They, after all, remember the experience.) Equipment however is retained and completing certain events will unlock Memories you can equip which give stat boosts/change how character skills work/etc, so you're never quite going in from scratch.

As the game progresses individual combat does become less important since your protagonist get stronger and stronger but that also plays into how the story unfolds. It isn't a hardcore RPG or anything and the RPG elements intentionally become easier, not harder, as time progresses. I can't really recommend it as a RPG to play for the game's sake, the mechanics are in the service of the story most of the time.

Aphrodite posted:

Is it actual trial and error, find the solution by repeating based gameplay, or faux linear trial and error?

Still sounds interesting but I think I'd prefer the latter personally.

For the most part it involves remembering and piecing together clues you find while exploring, with the game strongly rewarding you for checking every nook and cranny. For example you might find a book on magic that your party glosses over but once you learn a detail later in the game you can loop back to that point and check the book to get information you might not have considered important.

There are however a few cases of genuine trial and error where you're either forced to fail (usually during the tutorial) or where you're given incomplete information and need to make a guess. However failure isn't inherently bad as failing to make the correct choice will usually just lead you to a new area or new room, which can unlock Memories or provide clues for sidequests or become important later so unlocking them by mistake just means you know where they are later when you're trying to find something.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

:cheers: This sounds absolutely fantastic. Now to decide if I want to play it on Switch or PS4...

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

ImpAtom posted:

It's neither, it's completely standard turn-based. You have 4.5 party members, your main cast + the tagalog kid who will semi-randomly act and otherwise is who keeps your items and throws them at you.

Can I play it without learning tagalog?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It's always fun in open world games that have well hidden collectibles when you replay them but know where they all are, so while the first playthrough is dozens of hours of back and forth darting around the map, on a replay once you know where everything is you're just like "La-di-da... here's an ammo upgrade in that alleyway, I can get this item that I can sell if I climb this building, grab this lore thing for extra xp..." and by the time your halfway through the replay you have way more money that you've ever had before and you've filled out the skill tree.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Had to have a Conversation with my ten year old after Lakitu calls Mario a war criminal in Paper Mario: Color Splash after fighting in the colosseum, which I thought was kind of funny in a kind of sad way :lol: :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Super Mario RPG has more instruments in its redone battle themes when you get a combo to certain thresholds, it’s a nice motivator to keep a high combo count even though you’re just making an easy game easier.

Also the way it introduces the unique limit breaks where your guys do a combined attack is great, since it answers I question I always had playing the original: you fight a gimmick boss who can bind one of the buttons, either the one for spells, items, or normal attacks, and as his final gambit he does the thing you’d do if you were a video game boss and locks all three, at which point the party member that just joined suggests using the Select/- button to do a limit break. For as faithful as this remake largely is I’d have just expected a tooltip saying “hey you can do cooler special limit breaks than just summoning Toad for a random boon now” so it was really cool to see the gameplay intergration.