Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

bovis posted:

There's this new Humble Bundle with a load of John Scalzi books in it
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/john-scalzis-interdependency-old-mans-war-and-more-tor-books

Are his books worth getting into?
The rule of thumb with scalzi is that every book is half as good as the book he wrote before it.

Read old man's war and however many more books, but stop whenever you want safe in the knowledge that it's all downhill from whatever point you're at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Finished The Night-Land - boy howdy is THAT a thing. The first 50% is genre-foundational stuff, utterly fascinating and occasionally quite unsettling. The second half is... Well. He does tell you right up front that it's a romance, but I didn't expect all the foot fetishism and "my dearest baby-slave" tbh. Have to admit, I basically skimmed every "camp scene" in the second half. Glad I read it, not something I'm ever going to touch again. Definitely going to check out his House on the Borderland, however.

After the workout of deciphering Night-Land's weird prose style, I wanted some easy reading, so I'm now about halfway
through Aching God. Mike Shel, my dude, when I can tell which specific edition of D&D you're referencing, the setting starts feeling a little thin. Using the exact names of the D&D schools of magic, Identify spells that you get cast on your new magical items between adventures, hirelings and stereotypical bards, using the names of actual D&D spells but just removing the capital letters so they aren't proper nouns - yeah, I can see why this was published on Kindle Unlimited. That said, it'd be a fun setting to steal for a campaign of Torchbearer, and the premise of "we have to put the artifact back at the bottom of the dungeon" is a nice twist on the formula, so I'm along for the ride.

It does have me wondering who's done the best "this is obviously the author's RPG campaign" bit. Malazan has to be up there, since it's straight-up the author's AD&D 2e and GURPS game; The Expanse was also a GURPS game iirc. For my money though, my favorite RPG tribute has to be the adventuring party in Perdido Street Station, both because they're fun characters and for doing an artful deconstruction of the D&D adventuring party way before anyone else I can think of. Are there any fun ones I'm missing?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kestral posted:

Finished The Night-Land - boy howdy is THAT a thing. The first 50% is genre-foundational stuff, utterly fascinating and occasionally quite unsettling. The second half is... Well. He does tell you right up front that it's a romance, but I didn't expect all the foot fetishism and "my dearest baby-slave" tbh. Have to admit, I basically skimmed every "camp scene" in the second half. Glad I read it, not something I'm ever going to touch again. Definitely going to check out his House on the Borderland, however.

After the workout of deciphering Night-Land's weird prose style, I wanted some easy reading, so I'm now about halfway
through Aching God. Mike Shel, my dude, when I can tell which specific edition of D&D you're referencing, the setting starts feeling a little thin. Using the exact names of the D&D schools of magic, Identify spells that you get cast on your new magical items between adventures, hirelings and stereotypical bards, using the names of actual D&D spells but just removing the capital letters so they aren't proper nouns - yeah, I can see why this was published on Kindle Unlimited. That said, it'd be a fun setting to steal for a campaign of Torchbearer, and the premise of "we have to put the artifact back at the bottom of the dungeon" is a nice twist on the formula, so I'm along for the ride.

It does have me wondering who's done the best "this is obviously the author's RPG campaign" bit. Malazan has to be up there, since it's straight-up the author's AD&D 2e and GURPS game; The Expanse was also a GURPS game iirc. For my money though, my favorite RPG tribute has to be the adventuring party in Perdido Street Station, both because they're fun characters and for doing an artful deconstruction of the D&D adventuring party way before anyone else I can think of. Are there any fun ones I'm missing?

I recently finished Gareth Hanrahan's The Sword Defiant and it's both clearly an RPG setting and about an RPG adventuring party. It does a bit of deconstruction as well.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

fez_machine posted:

I recently finished Gareth Hanrahan's The Sword Defiant and it's both clearly an RPG setting and about an RPG adventuring party. It does a bit of deconstruction as well.

Hanrahan's been on my radar for a while now since my weekly podcast is Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff, an RPG-focused pod by two of his coworkers, but I've never gotten around to reading any of his stuff. Went to check this out and --

The Sword Defiant posted:

Many years ago, Sir Aelfric and his nine companions saved the world, seizing the Dark Lord’s cursed weapons, along with his dread city of Necrad. That was the easy part. Now, when Aelfric – keeper of the cursed sword Spellbreaker – learns of a new and terrifying threat, he seeks the nine heroes once again. But they are wandering adventurers no longer. Yesterday’s eager heroes are today’s weary leaders – and some have turned to the darkness, becoming monsters themselves. If there’s one thing Aelfric knows, it’s slaying monsters. Even if they used to be his friends.

Necrad. Oh my lord it's the most "the D&D campaign you played in high school after reading Elric" thing ever. I know Gutter Prayer has a lot of fans here, but I just... I can't imagine this actually being good. Is it good? And is it as airbrushed-on-a-van as that description makes it sound?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Kestral posted:

For my money though, my favorite RPG tribute has to be the adventuring party in Perdido Street Station, both because they're fun characters and for doing an artful deconstruction of the D&D adventuring party way before anyone else I can think of.

Yeah, I read that when it came out and almost died laughing over the line about "mercenary scum who will do anything for gold and experience".

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kestral posted:

Don't sleep on his other stuff. Boats of the Glen Carrig is "ship's crew stuck on a creepy swampy archipelago; who's going to get et by which weird poo poo this chapter?"; The Ghost Pirates is incredibly badly named in one sense because it's nothing like what the title makes you think of, but "the creepy poo poo is happening on a sailing ship in the middle of the ocean" is a great answer to "why don't they run away" and, well, the title eventually makes a lot more and different sense. And the Carnacki stories are immense fun, especially for his proto-Ghostbusters gear (dude loves his fluorescent tubes), and that it sometimes turns out to be fake ghosts, which is pretty unusual in the occult detective genre*.

(*unless you count Scooby-Doo.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kestral posted:

Hanrahan's been on my radar for a while now since my weekly podcast is Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff, an RPG-focused pod by two of his coworkers, but I've never gotten around to reading any of his stuff. Went to check this out and --

Necrad. Oh my lord it's the most "the D&D campaign you played in high school after reading Elric" thing ever. I know Gutter Prayer has a lot of fans here, but I just... I can't imagine this actually being good. Is it good? And is it as airbrushed-on-a-van as that description makes it sound?

I haven't read it, but I would assume any parodic sounding rpg stuff is there knowingly. gutter prayer is extremely gritty and novel, I'd guess he is just taking the opportunity to have fun with the tropes.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Kestral posted:

I enjoyed my time with it. I will say for as much airbrush as there is in the book and there's as much undercutting the epic with the prosaic.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kestral posted:

Gary Gygax's Gord the Rogue books. I'm not sure I would call them good, but they're so D&D you can practically hear the dice rolling during the fight scenes.

The Wild Cards series started as a RPG campaign as well.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 24, 2023

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Has anyone read The Shadow of What was Lost, by Islington? I’m about 2/3 of the way through it and contemplating dropping it. The characters are cardboard thin, and I genuinely have no idea what’s happening anymore.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kestral posted:

through Aching God. Mike Shel, my dude, when I can tell which specific edition of D&D you're referencing, the setting starts feeling a little thin. . . .

It does have me wondering who's done the best "this is obviously the author's RPG campaign" bit.

The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon is probably up there in both categories. Like, you can tell when she hits fourth level because she gets her magical steed, it just shows up, 1st edition GO, but it's far more competently written than most such stuff especially given that it came out in the 90's.

The actual answer though is probably Blacktongue Thief because it's clearly a situation where Buehlman's more experimental and interesting stuff wasn't selling (Between Two Fires almost went out of print I believe) so his publisher told him to write something more conventional and so he knocked it out of the park. Like Zelazny and the Amber books.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Between Two Fires is a success story of an author taking back his work after it was mis-marketed or just didn't hit at the right time:

https://twitter.com/Buehlmeister/status/1465910566061580290

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Selachian posted:

Gary Gygax's Gord the Rogue books. I'm not sure I would call them good, but they're so D&D you can practically hear the dice rolling during the fight scenes.

The Wild Cards series also started as a RPG campaign as well.
I would call the first one - Sea of Death - "good enough" in a kind of pulp adventure sort of way. I think the second one was fine? And so was the short story collection maybe?

It eventually goes WILDLY off the rails.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
< Nice, I love it!

Harrow the Ninth (Locked Tomb #2) by Tamsyn Muir - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WYSGHC7/
The Blade Itself (First Law #1) by Joe Abercrombie - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TOT9LDK/
Annihilation (Southern Reach #1) by Jeff VanderMeer - $3.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EGJ32A6/
Jade City (Green Bone Saga #1) by Fonda Lee - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRCBRX8
A Master of Djinn (Dead Djinn #1) by P Djčlí Clark - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HKXS84X/
Legends & Lattes (#1) by Travis Baldree - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3755RV9/
A Clash of Kings (Song of Ice and Fire #2) by George RR Martin - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1HBY/
Dawnshard (Stormlight Archive) by Brandon Sanderson - $1.49 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MXXWYT7/ novella
Parable of the Sower (Parable #1) by Octavia E Butler - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZHT26LV/
The Poppy War (#1) by RF Kuang - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072L58JW6/
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DV1Y7D0/
Assassin's Apprentice (Farseer #1) by Robin Hobb - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBFMG6/
The Adventures of Amina al-Sirafi (#1) by Shannon Chakraborty - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3XQBGPS/
The Silmarillion by JRR Tolkien - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007978PGI/

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

VaultAggie posted:

Has anyone read The Shadow of What was Lost, by Islington? I’m about 2/3 of the way through it and contemplating dropping it. The characters are cardboard thin, and I genuinely have no idea what’s happening anymore.

I quit about the same time you did probably. I assume the "no idea what's happening anymore" is on account of the time travel? Because that was where I abandoned ship, everything just kept happening to the characters as they wandered around doing very little of their own accord and that was the last straw for me.

Uncle Lloyd fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 24, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A Master of Djinn is great fun, mostly for the worldbuilding. It's an AU where in the 1800s, Egypt discovered how to harness djinn for energy, became paramount in their use of djinn, and as a result colonization on the subpeninsula stopped dead in its tracks, then backed up. The food descriptions are masterly.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It was a breezy read, but I didn't particularly care for it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Selachian posted:

I've only read some of the Gord short stories that showed up in Dragon magazine. They had some of the very most overwrought, incompetent prose I've ever read. They're almost worth reading just to see what the opposite of competent writing is.

The Deed of Paksennarion is good. It's not great, but is competently writing, has a good take on some classic tropes, and has a lot of heart. The books can be justly criticized in spots, but I stan Paks.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Now that I have the ebook of Zelazny’s collected short fiction, I reread “A Rose for Ecclesiastes”, which was excellent.

I was surprised by the notes, where Zelazny’s commentary indicated that he thought it was a sad story. This confused me, because I’d just read a hilarious story about a poet who thought that his genius justified his total lack of redeeming qualities, and was distressed to meet a group of women who were capable of separating the work from its creator.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Rand Brittain posted:

Now that I have the ebook of Zelazny’s collected short fiction, I reread “A Rose for Ecclesiastes”, which was excellent.

I was surprised by the notes, where Zelazny’s commentary indicated that he thought it was a sad story. This confused me, because I’d just read a hilarious story about a poet who thought that his genius justified his total lack of redeeming qualities, and was distressed to meet a group of women who were capable of separating the work from its creator.
It's a sad story because the Martians are stupid about their own survival but beyond that I also did not read it as particularly sad. What on earth lol.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It is a sad story because the protagonist is the *hero* and all his hero-ness doesn't get him the girl. Who tried to love him, but couldn't, so he was used.

e: I'm quite serious, this was the viewpoint at the time.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mllaneza posted:

I've only read some of the Gord short stories that showed up in Dragon magazine. They had some of the very most overwrought, incompetent prose I've ever read. They're almost worth reading just to see what the opposite of competent writing is.
Sea of Death isn't nearly as bad - but yeah it's absolutely clear that Gygax was a huge fan of Vance but took all the wrong lessons from him. It gets super bad.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

pradmer posted:

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DV1Y7D0/

Incredibly funny book, also a great audiobook. I'm not sure if it is the Best Novel Of The 20th Century as it is sometimes called but it's a joy to read.

There is a part where the KGB (I think) gets in a shootout with Satan's cat

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Nov 25, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

General Battuta posted:

Incredibly funny book, also a great audiobook. I'm not sure if it is the Best Novel Of The 20th Century as it is sometimes called but it's a joy to read.

There is a part where the KGB (I think) gets in a shootout with Satan's cat

The prose in the Pilate parts is so incredibly crisp.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Who's the biggest name you've hardly touched? When it comes to Asimov, I've only read the first ten pages of Foundation before getting distracted.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon is probably up there in both categories. Like, you can tell when she hits fourth level because she gets her magical steed, it just shows up, 1st edition GO, but it's far more competently written than most such stuff especially given that it came out in the 90's.

In a lot of the second book she's in the most thinly veiled expy ever of T1 Village of Homlett and ends up leading a party to investigate the bandits at The Moathouse. Who are led of course by a cleric of an evil spider deity.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I'm reading reviews of Poul Anderson's The Boat of a Million Years and for the life of me I can't think of any other stories that go into that kind of detail following immortal characters through hundreds or thousands of years of real history, rather than just seeing them over one particular period of time.

Edit: I finished Jo Walton's Informal History of the Hugos. About 80% of the text was name-drops for winners, nominees, and ignored possibilities of hundreds of books and short stories I'll never ever be able to read in a lifetime. Most of them I didn't check out, but I have come out of it with a new desire to read Cyteen, Cuckoo's Egg, The Doomsday Book, and Metropolitan by Walter Jon Williams.

Gardner Dozois posted:

It also reconfirmed my feeling that the bulk of the really good work is done at shorter lengths, particularly novella and novelette, and especially novella. Unfortunately, what everybody talks about in a year, and what the quality of a year is judged on, is the novels, which often are the weakest stuff. Even here in this series, there were always far more comments about the novels than about the short fiction, and I can only conclude that many more people read the novels than ever get around to the short fiction. Too bad, in a way, since they’re missing the bulk of the good fiction published that year.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 25, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

FPyat posted:

Who's the biggest name you've hardly touched? When it comes to Asimov, I've only read the first ten pages of Foundation before getting distracted.

I've read Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane stories and a handful of Conan but I don't feel particularly well-read in his stuff.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

FPyat posted:

Edit: I finished Jo Walton's Informal History of the Hugos. About 80% of the text was name-drops for winners, nominees, and ignored possibilities of hundreds of books and short stories I'll never ever be able to read in a lifetime. Most of them I didn't check out, but I have come out of it with a new desire to read Cyteen, Cuckoo's Egg, The Doomsday Book, and Metropolitan by Walter Jon Williams.

That's a fun book. If you haven't read it, her collection of essays and reviews "What Makes This Book So Great?," which I think mostly collects her tor.com essays is similarly a fun read.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

FPyat posted:

I'm reading reviews of Poul Anderson's The Boat of a Million Years and for the life of me I can't think of any other stories that go into that kind of detail following immortal characters through hundreds or thousands of years of real history, rather than just seeing them over one particular period of time.

I did see a Kindle Unlimited book about a girl who becomes immortal due to gaining huge amounts of magical power at a young age, and the second book apparently starts off with her visiting the town she spent all her time in the first book decades later and meeting the people she knew as old men and women and their children.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Sea of Tranquility by Emily St John Mandel - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099DRHTLX/

The Cosmic Puppets by Philip K Dick - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005LVQZFM/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

FPyat posted:

Arthur C. Clarke. Bored now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Zelazny, somehow. Barely touched his stuff.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

HopperUK posted:

i tried reading his amber, but put down the first book after 40 or 50 pages
a night in the lonesome october was a breeze though, it's fantastic

mystes
May 31, 2006

I read some of the amber books years ago but the only thing I remember is that it felt like each subsequent book really obnoxiously retconned everything in a way that rendered the plot of the previous book 100% meaningless

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

pradmer posted:

This book gave me surprisingly strong flashbacks to the worst parts of early Covid

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

pradmer posted:

My review of this book is to quote Le Guin:

The GOAT posted:

A writer sets out to write science fiction but isn’t familiar with the genre, hasn’t read what’s been written. This is a fairly common situation, because science fiction is known to sell well but, as a subliterary genre, is not supposed to be worth study—what’s to learn? It doesn’t occur to the novice that a genre is a genre because it has a field and focus of its own; its appropriate and particular tools, rules, and techniques for handling the material; its traditions; and its experienced, appreciative readers—that it is, in fact, a literature. Ignoring all this, our novice is just about to reinvent the wheel, the space ship, the space alien, and the mad scientist, with cries of innocent wonder. The cries will not be echoed by the readers. Readers familiar with that genre have met the space ship, the alien, and the mad scientist before. They know more about them than the writer does.

I actually enjoyed it okay. Mandel is a fine writer and the book mostly succeeds as literature. It just sucks at being sci-fi.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Jimbozig posted:

My review of this book is to quote Le Guin:

:allears:

Le Guin is one of the vanishingly few writers whose opinions are worth reading outside the context of their fiction. A writer that concise and lucid, imagine how powerful she could have been on twitter.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

HopperUK posted:

Lord of Light is the only thing I've read by him but it's extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

I read some of the amber books years ago but the only thing I remember is that it felt like each subsequent book really obnoxiously retconned everything in a way that rendered the plot of the previous book 100% meaningless

Yeah, I enjoyed the Amber books back in the day, but it is incredible obvious that Zelazny was making everything up as he goes along. The more you think about the setting, the less sense it makes.