Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Nenonen posted:

Resolve doesn't save you from atrocities. Like if I realized that my kitchen was on fire, I can't just decide to be stoic in the face of flames unless I have an extinguisher or some other means of fighting the fire.

Well not with that attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is that the "same" population, or were they effectively doing atrocities to one population to scare the other. Wouldn't that be more analogous to how the Blitz affected idk Crete rather than the UK?

I don't have a horse in this fight and am just playing with the hypothesis though.

I guess the relative disunity of premodern states (or even the tendency for some areas to just be full of a bunch of small independent states with no pretense to unity at all) would play into that. In ancient and medieval wars, you could get a lot of cities deciding independently which side they'll back, and vassals drifting apart from their liege s or taking the opportunity to assert themselves separately.

I think you get much less of that when there's a shared national identity so that individual areas are less likely to sell out eachother. Maybe also when the population is mobile enough that they'll have direct connections with people in other areas.

Nenonen posted:

Resolve doesn't save you from atrocities. Like if I realized that my kitchen was on fire, I can't just decide to be stoic in the face of flames unless I have an extinguisher or some other means of fighting the fire.

Yeah but you'll be ready to throw a pan at the next guy who tries bringing in a candelabra.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah but you'll be ready to throw a pan at the next guy who tries bringing in a candelabra.

Also it kind of argues against surrendering to the people who did that to you because, if they’re that vicious now, how bad will they be if you are no longer able to resist? It’s no good surrendering to the guy who did X bad thing if you’re convinced he’s so evil he’ll cheerfully do Y worse thing if you let him. Even “they’ll kill us all if we don’t” isn’t a good enough reason to surrender if you know the result would be “kill us all more painfully anyway”.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

MadDogMike posted:

Also it kind of argues against surrendering to the people who did that to you because, if they’re that vicious now, how bad will they be if you are no longer able to resist? It’s no good surrendering to the guy who did X bad thing if you’re convinced he’s so evil he’ll cheerfully do Y worse thing if you let him. Even “they’ll kill us all if we don’t” isn’t a good enough reason to surrender if you know the result would be “kill us all more painfully anyway”.

Usually in these situations people simply flee, or submit if they can't. Fighting the flames with your fists is stupid.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Usually in these situations people simply flee, or submit if they can't. Fighting the flames with your fists is stupid.

Submitting to the flames? Hot drat, that's bleak.

I think at this point, the original analogy has been lost in the darkness somewhere.

A home invasion would have been better than a burning kitchen, anyway.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Glah posted:

What would Agent Orange be classified as in this context? I guess it was not a chemical weapon in a sense of using it to directly kill the enemy, but USA used shitload of it as part of herbicidal warfare so it was still a chemical and a weapon...

I did some research of this at one point for a course and the issue with the herbicides (orange, white, blue and so on) was the dioxins that were side products of the production process. Different batches of the same agent had various levels of dioxins and if my memory recollects, uS military staff doing manual spraying were also heavily affected.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

The new Napoleon film by Ridley Scott has been doing rounds for it's historical accuracy.

https://twitter.com/KKriegeBlog/status/1728292540770877723/photo/2

I assume slapping a scope on a rifle from that period would be worse than useless. But when did scoped rifles start to be employed by armies in noticeable capacity? WW1 or earlier?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Laughing Zealot posted:

I assume slapping a scope on a rifle from that period would be worse than useless. But when did scoped rifles start to be employed by armies in noticeable capacity? WW1 or earlier?

American Civil War. A Napoleonic war guy could in theory get a telescopic sight if they were really rich and didn't mind risking a fractured eye socket - the first versions were really more for aristocrats going hunting. In the 1850's you get a sight that is practically usable and can be produced in numbers and the ACW is where snipers become a persistent battlefield threat.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Alchenar posted:

American Civil War.

Crimean War probably. For a first use of scopes, might not have been commonplace but existed.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nenonen posted:

Crimean War probably. For a first use of scopes, might not have been commonplace but existed.

scopes were first used in 1630s

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Laughing Zealot posted:

The new Napoleon film by Ridley Scott has been doing rounds for it's historical accuracy.

One of the many many stupid things about that movie is that set up a BETTER thing to do earlier in the movie and then don't do it with the actual line!

In his first battle at Tourlon, his horse is killed very graphically by a cannon ball. After the battle he comes back and retrieves the cannon ball from the horses corpse and throws it to someone and says "muffle muffle bad sound mix". This is an entire scene from a movie that clearly needs to be 4-12 hours long and they spend the time to set this line up.

Then at Waterloo the camera focus on the loading of the same sized cannon ball into British cannons (6 pounder I think? Probably the wrong cannons anyway knowing this movie).

The sniper tells a perpetually frowning Wellington that he has got Napoleon in his sights and permission to fire. At artillery range mind you. Wellington says ""It is not the business of commanders to be firing upon one another".

And at and the end of the battle, the Sniper shoots Napoleons iconic hat with a hole in it, convincing him that the day is lost. When the movie had gone out of it's way to set up a cannon ball shot! This is Suicide Squad level of editing incompetence in not paying off what the movie set itself up, when it could have used the actual more famous line!

In conclusion, go watch Waterloo on youtube instead. Or Sharp's Waterloo which has better infantry combat with no more than 20 men on screen at a time.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 25, 2023

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Comstar posted:

One of the many many stupid things about that movie is that set up a BETTER thing to do earlier in the movie and then don't do it with the actual line!

In his first battle at Tourlon, his horse is killed very graphically by a cannon ball. After the battle he comes back and retrieves the cannon ball from the horses corpse and throws it to someone and says "muffle muffle bad sound mix". This is an entire scene from a movie that clearly needs to be 4-12 hours long and then spend the time to set this line up.

Then at Waterloo the camera focus on the loading of the same sized cannon ball into British cannons (6 pounder I think? Probably the wrong cannons anyway knowing this movie).

The sniper tells a perpetually frowning Wellington that he has got Napoleon in his sights and permission to fire. At artillery range mind you. Wellington says ""It is not the business of commanders to be firing upon one another".

And at and the end of the battle, the Sniper shoots Napoleons iconic hat with a hole in it, convincing him that the day is lost. When the movie had gone out of it's way to set up a cannon ball shot!!! This is Suicide Squad level of editing incompetence in not paying off what the movie set itself up, when it could have used the actual more famous line!

In conclusion, go watch Waterloo on youtube instead. Or Sharp's Waterloo which has better infantry combat.

does nappy at least talk with a comical french accent and drop unnecessary french words and phrases?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
It's on Apple+ the same day it was released in Theaters, which gives a big indication that Apple does not thing much of the movie.

ChubbyChecker posted:

does nappy at least talk with a comical french accent and drop unnecessary french words and phrases?

No he does not. There is one scene where 2 characters you've never met and never see again discuss diplomacy over food (why btw happens so many times. And means you can't understand what the actors are saying) and they switch to subtitles for 1 line each.

After speaking English the entire time. And I think one of them is the English Ambassador!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’m gonna watch the 4 hour directors cut at home and love it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Comstar posted:

It's on Apple+ the same day it was released in Theaters, which gives a big indication that Apple does not thing much of the movie.

No he does not. There is one scene where 2 characters you've never met and never see again discuss diplomacy over food (why btw happens so many times. And means you can't understand what the actors are saying) and they switch to subtitles for 1 line each.

After speaking English the entire time. And I think one of them is the English Ambassador!

pitiful

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the movie sounds insanely bad

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

the movie sounds insanely bad

Oh it is worth watching to see all the un-historical and hysterical changes to history R.Scott has made. But I wouldn't recommend it for spending $50-100 to go see it at a theater.

You also get to see Russian Cossack's use man-portable(!!?) mortars attacking a French supply convoy like it's 1942 partisans attacking a German supply line. Apart from the uniforms it would fit right in to a WW2 movie.

I'm not kidding to say it's like watching a comedy that's missing a laugh track. Bill and Ted's Napoleon was more accurate.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
There's an old Russian comedy clip about how a student with a limited understanding of history recounts the Battle of Borodino while the actors reenact his version of events, the new movie sounds like an extended version of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNdLj8RqUVQ

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Comstar posted:

Oh it is worth watching to see all the un-historical and hysterical changes to history R.Scott has made. But I wouldn't recommend it for spending $50-100 to go see it at a theater.

You also get to see Russian Cossack's use man-portable(!!?) mortars attacking a French supply convoy like it's 1942 partisans attacking a German supply line. Apart from the uniforms it would fit right in to a WW2 movie.

I'm not kidding to say it's like watching a comedy that's missing a laugh track. Bill and Ted's Napoleon was more accurate.

hand mortars were also a 17th c invention: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_mortar

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Comstar posted:

In conclusion, go watch Waterloo on youtube instead. Or Sharp's Waterloo which has better infantry combat with no more than 20 men on screen at a time.

In conclusion, go read the chapter(s) about Waterloo in Les Miserables? :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You know, Isaac Asimov wrote a story on this exact topic

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Comstar posted:

I mean the British ambassador would have been using French, because it was the language the European upper class twits used at the time.

Not sure if this is the logical way to convey it in a film (which I have not seen), though.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

ChubbyChecker posted:

Picturing David Suchet as Napoleon. Played exactly like Poirot.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Elissimpark posted:

Picturing David Suchet as Napoleon. Played exactly like Poirot.

perfection

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The historical Napoleon was mocked by his contemporaries for his thick Italian accent, although it grew softer as he got older.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Apparently their military advisor was some rando ex-special forces guy, because that's what gives you expertise on the napoleonic battlefield. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/25/napoleon-film-ridley-scott-critics-miitary-expert-battle-scenes

pictured, napoleonic warfare expert

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 25, 2023

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fangz posted:

Apparently their military advisor was some rando ex-special forces guy, because that's what gives you expertise on the napoleonic battlefield. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/25/napoleon-film-ridley-scott-critics-miitary-expert-battle-scenes

pictured, napoleonic warfare expert

high cran operateur

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What does a Napoleonic War expert usually look like?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Depends... are we talking of an expert of Napoleonic War or a War expert who is Napoleonic?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1728478374815760548

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Wouldn't be a good grognard cosplay if they didn't grumble

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Scott explicitly stated he did not care if it was historically accurate and it’s pretty clear from the previews and reviews it’s focused on presenting a view on the relationship between Napoleon and Josephine. Does this excuse historical inaccuracy and blatant disregard for fact? Probably not but also I’ve been getting good laughs at grogs mad across the history and wargaming communities

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

FastestGunAlive posted:

Scott explicitly stated he did not care if it was historically accurate and it’s pretty clear from the previews and reviews it’s focused on presenting a view on the relationship between Napoleon and Josephine. Does this excuse historical inaccuracy and blatant disregard for fact? Probably not but also I’ve been getting good laughs at grogs mad across the history and wargaming communities

I think what annoys me about a director taking that attitude is that it implies that you can only do one or the other. You could make a film focusing on the relationship between Napoleon and Josephine and have cool combat scenes that are accurate at least at surface level.

Like, I don't care if a film portrays the Old Guard using the wrong pattern muskets in a given battle (that's a lie actually, if I noticed I'd probably care but it wouldn't make me decide it was a bad film). It does bother me if the combat doesn't really even attempt to represent the actual nature of warfare at the time.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I don’t disagree with you on that tbh

Edit: ok, now I see they’re just trolling everyone with this movie after reading that guardian article

FastestGunAlive fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 26, 2023

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Also I understand the portrayal of Josephine and Napoleon's relationship in the movie is terrible anyway

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
My primary issue with the film is that it's a Ridley Scott film made in 2023

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think if Scott wanted to have fun with it, have the scene with the not-Sharpe instead be one where a priggish Wellington has the impudent rifleman flogged for saluting him slightly incorrectly. Have Metternich wear a hitler stache. Go crazy with the script, don't just limit it to cool-looking battles.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
An ahistorical Napoleon film is fine - Gladiator is certainly ahistorical, and I love it - but if Scott is going to go around giving interviews about how

quote:

“It’s amazing because you’re actually reconstructing the real thing,” Scott said of filming these battle sequences, most of which were shot in various locations around England. “I started to think like Napoleon.”

Then I think it's fairer to hold it to a harsher standard of accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I'll stick to historically accurate films like the Patriot, thank you very much