Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Even beyond that if you replace 'dad' with 'previous incarnation' that's just the plot of WoT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

pik_d posted:

This is like reading Dumai's Wells and going "Hell yeah that's so cool!! Ashaman Kill!!"[/spoiler]

It was pretty cool though.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Dr. Clockwork posted:

yeah

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

It was a pretty excellent payoff for six books worth of careful edging on the subject of male Aes Sedai and what that would look like, but it was also an amazingly short trip from “Holy poo poo! #smileyface” to “Holy poo poo! #vomitemoji”

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
The one power adds dignity to what would otherwise be an ugly brawl.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

has anyone read this series:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I generally fall on the side of liking Sandersons books but all his writing oozes the fact he’s a milquetoast white Mormon boy.

This kinda crops up with his writing in regards to Mat in TGS. It gets better but clearly he's never really been in a bar or gambled.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I haven't read much Sanderson to judge his writing style, but Jordan is pretty much two dozen threads weaving at once, fueled by dramatic irony of characters just not talking to one another, most of them solved by "this character is exceptional, and just does it". It's still really entertaining.

Yeah I do definitely do miss this in the last books so far, Jordan's intricate lyricism. Sanderson is much more straight forward and more modern in speech and Idiom which takes a bit of time to get used to. Jordan is a master and I miss him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

I don't even know what it's called.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

ChubbyChecker posted:

Yes. It’s not great.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

ChubbyChecker posted:

Did they make Jimmy Fallon bleed because I approve

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jedit posted:

I don't even know what it's called.

The Failson Blood

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ChubbyChecker posted:

I have a copy and flipped through it but I haven't read it. It's not great. There is lots of throbbing. You can see a lot of romance novel thought lines in WoT and I'm sure his eplxperience writing those was why.

His Conan novels are pretty good though. You can really see him straining at the limitations of the license.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lmao

i wonder if it was on purpose

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Gonna tell my kids this is Mat dancing with Joline while an angry Teslyn after escaping Ebou Dar.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ChubbyChecker posted:

lmao

i wonder if it was on purpose

It's weird the number of WoT covers that just have Rand standing around like a gormless moron, but Fires of Heaven really takes the cake

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yes. It’s not great.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have a copy and flipped through it but I haven't read it. It's not great. There is lots of throbbing. You can see a lot of romance novel thought lines in WoT and I'm sure his eplxperience writing those was why.

His Conan novels are pretty good though. You can really see him straining at the limitations of the license.

yeah i kinda thought that it wouldn't be very good

i should try to find his conan books, i used to read howard back in the day

how was the warrior of altaii?

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

nine-gear crow posted:

gormless moron

Mods, my name, thanks

Burns
May 10, 2008

Maybe im misremembering but Perrin's battle with the evil Lan is anime af.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Even down to the storm stopping when Perrin appears

It owns

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Should've been more throbbing in WOT tbh

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hexel posted:

Should've been more throbbing in WOT tbh

in that turning of the wheel women were only interested in calves

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

ChubbyChecker posted:

in that turning of the wheel women were only interested in calves

birgitte was into butts but she doesn't really count being a hero of the horn and all. Just lots ladies getting fired up at a well turned calf

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's like how in Victorian times everyone was horny for ankles

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Rarity posted:

It's like how in Victorian times everyone was horny for ankles

There's a YouTuber whose name I forget and her channel is all about period clothing. She makes it herself and then models it herself, and one time she made an only fans that was all about the scandalous ankle shot. And she would post pictures and videos wearing the same kind of clothing showing off ankles

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

There's a YouTuber whose name I forget and her channel is all about period clothing. She makes it herself and then models it herself, and one time she made an only fans that was all about the scandalous ankle shot. And she would post pictures and videos wearing the same kind of clothing showing off ankles
Here you go:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSxQHQ_1gX4

She also made the Moiraine dress:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLnWlKdxRNA

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

CainFortea posted:

Interesting…tell me more (*puts a hand over the phone and asks the fbi agent how long until the trace is finished*)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, that's it. I'm also unsurprised she was interested in the show costuming. The costuming has been super rad.

Edit: Lol she explains part of it in the old tongue.

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Nov 22, 2023

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CainFortea posted:

The costuming has been super rad.

I still think about Rand's Abercrombie and Fitch sheepskin jacket

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

subscribed for that naughty ankle content :dong:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
She missed a valuable opportunity to go through the subscriber list and their history and determine the ratio of people in on the joke to actual legitimate perverts.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

withak posted:

She missed a valuable opportunity to go through the subscriber list and their history and determine the ratio of people in on the joke to actual legitimate perverts.
they're all perverts

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Neuxue Blog posted:

Masema thinks the wolves fighting for them is a sign that they should go forth. What are you, Masema, a prophet of some sort?

Got a good laugh out of me.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Zore posted:

You'd need more than one Black Ajah because of the way circles work which is only really spelled out fully in the BWBoBA. The big thing is that the rule is you always need more women than men unless you're doing tiny circles of 3-4 people. You can do one woman and two men but any circle of 13 needs a minimum of 7 women.

It was explained that Taim could really only do a full scale production line of Turning Ashaman once he had 13 female channelers. It's the same thing as healing being stilled, it's easier/more effective to do it with someone using the opposite power. He could probably get the myrddraal, but giving him 13 Black Ajah would be harder, at least until the Tower was more broken. Even then, they made it sound like exhausting work so depending on the person being turned it might take a couple days or more than 13 to work in shifts.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

seaborgium posted:

It was explained that Taim could really only do a full scale production line of Turning Ashaman once he had 13 female channelers. It's the same thing as healing being stilled, it's easier/more effective to do it with someone using the opposite power. He could probably get the myrddraal, but giving him 13 Black Ajah would be harder, at least until the Tower was more broken. Even then, they made it sound like exhausting work so depending on the person being turned it might take a couple days or more than 13 to work in shifts.

Yea, Logain spent days getting the treatment and he wasn't done yet and they had to take breaks cause it took a lot of effort.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol Memory of Light reads like dispatches from the Civil War. Short descriptions and alot of movements and two page poo poo storms. I like it! Fits Sanderson's writing well. Though I am worried he's not gonna land/has missed opportunities for the people from the outside reacting to momentous/anime thing that Jordan was so good at. Things just keep on chugging on (horribly).

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Shageletic posted:

lol Memory of Light reads like dispatches from the Civil War. Short descriptions and alot of movements and two page poo poo storms. I like it! Fits Sanderson's writing well. Though I am worried he's not gonna land/has missed opportunities for the people from the outside reacting to momentous/anime thing that Jordan was so good at. Things just keep on chugging on (horribly).

I firmly believe that if RJ had finished it on his own the last battle section wouldn't have been nearly as long as it was. I think that conceptually it's a cool idea to make a Last Battle chapter 9 hours on the audiobook (and like 15k words) so you as a reader feel the exhaustion that the characters feel but...

It's definitely a bit much. I know that decision was firmly Sanderson, and it definitely plays more into his style with the quick jumps.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Still haven't gotten to that chapter (up to page 290). Let's see how it goes.

It is interesting to think about how RJ would have written these battle scenes. One great thing about his writing is that each large battle is written differently from each other. All while feeling real and also really doing a good job of telling you what was happening. For one thing, I'm having trouble figuring what the numbers are in these battles so far. Maybe that changes.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

nine-gear crow posted:

It's weird the number of WoT covers that just have Rand standing around like a gormless moron, but Fires of Heaven really takes the cake

I appreciate how dumb they made Mat's hat look

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Makes him look like Crocodile Dundee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Invalid Validation posted:

Makes him look like Crocodile Dundee.

lol i saw your post only after i clicked the reply button, crocodile dundee was absolutely the model