Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

The 7th Guest posted:

actually there is probably a way to surefire get an S14 greenlit but it'll never happen: bringing Mike, Kevin and Bill back

That would do it. It sure doesn't seem like any of them want to come back full-time though.

Mike has made it clear that he's not interested in participating. Kevin and Bill did cameos on the new show, and that seems to be enough for them. And Rifftrax is doing pretty well. I noticed that Kevin and Bill don't have writing credits on the more recent riffs, which makes me wonder if they're starting to step back a bit from this niche industry.

I would absolutely love to see Trace and Frank back, but Joel burned some bridges by not including -- or even informing -- them when the revival happened. Frank has at least supported the fundraiser on social media, while Trace still seems to be pretty sour about it. I get it, he was nearly as instrumental in creating and shaping the show as Joel and Jim Mallon, and for ~18 years he didn't get any royalties despite the show continually airing in reruns and being sold in DVD sets.

Honestly, the S11 fundraiser was amazingly successful, and the S13 one did really well too. I hope they write the current attempt off and try to do another one that's closer to what they did for S11, but I'm worried that they see this as "nobody wants to pay for MST3k", because I don't think that's the case at all. Joel's latest Email mentions that the support doesn't seem to be there for S14, but they did it to themselves with awful reward fulfillment for S13, an unknown fundraising platform, lack of promotion, lack of cast participation (understandable given the strike), and a general sense that nobody involved is all that invested in or excited about a new season, including Joel.

Do it right and we'll still pay for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

I do think it's worth remembering that Cinematic Titanic struggled because everyone lived in different parts of the country; even if Joel figured out how to smooth things over with Trace and Frank, scheduling conflicts might prevent them from doing much besides cameos. And even then it could require more green screening, which I know a lot of people dislike.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I thought the idea of the Gizmoplex was that they'd make enough money off of there to not need as much crowdfunding and it'd become somewhat self sustaining

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

El Generico posted:

I thought the idea of the Gizmoplex was that they'd make enough money off of there to not need as much crowdfunding and it'd become somewhat self sustaining

I remember them saying something like that. It just seemed like a pipe dream.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
There are still a few minutes left in the fundraiser but the links to it have already been scrubbed from mst3k.com. No point in staying up past their bedtimes I guess.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

drat, didn't even make it to the sex number

ah well, better luck next time

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I’m watching Wizards of the Lost Kingdom, and that part with the seductive magic lady who turns into a spider, dies, and turns back into a seductive lady is uncomfortable and confusing. It’s like the movie was written with an older main character in mind and they just changed it slightly after they cast a 12-year-old. Is she seducing him? Are the other kids on couches really there, or part of the illusion?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Narsham posted:

Part of the problem is that MST3K is the big-ticket version, with licensed films and a cast and crew in place of a microphone closet or a webcam. It can’t operate without a substantially larger yearly funding.

Yeah, the Season 13 episodes during the Turkey Day Marathon really drove this point home. I swear to god the credits (even without the Kickstarter backer list) are five times longer than the originals. Unlike Redditors, I'm not insisting Joel & co go back to sitting in a closet lit by an itty bitty booklight (this is literally what they are suggesting), but surely there's some room to trim and consolidate roles? Or maybe there isn't? Like you said, it would be useful to see the accounting details. $4.1 million for six episodes SEEMS like an awful lot of money.

El Generico posted:

The Gizmoplex seems to be confusing, and even more confusingly explained. I checked it out when it launched, but I only discovered during the marathon that you can watch all(*) the old episodes on the Gizmoplex for free. While I appreciate that, it feels like it might make more sense to charge even a couple of bucks a month for that access. Or maybe they're figuring that getting exposure and new fans for their annual crowdfunding is more valuable?

* all the episodes they're legally allowed to stream.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 26, 2023

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

El Generico posted:

The last kickstarter says this:

quote:

1. MAKE MORE MST3K episodes with a new, sustainable model, that lets you decide how long we should keep going, and lets us bring new episodes directly to you, without depending on a network to distribute or keep renewing us for new seasons.

2. BUILD THE GIZMOPLEX, our own virtual online theater, where we can host frequent live screenings, premieres, and community events – and you can host MST3K watch parties with friends whenever you want. More on that in a minute.

However at no point do I think Joel every mentioned what this "sustainable model" was supposed to be, outside of "maybe we'll get some money from the Gizmoplex".

Then there's this big huge wall of text about the Gizmoplex: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/makemoremst3k/posts/3178709

The main thing about funding more MST3K being:

quote:

Q: Will Gizmoplex membership fund future episodes of MST3K?

Great question! As we reach the end of the first year, we want to see how the Gizmoplex is working out, whether you find it valuable, and whether it's able to generate enough revenue to support making more new episodes of MST3K.

The honest answer is, we don't know yet, but we hope this might become a sustainable alternative, so that we wouldn't need to do a new crowdfunding campaign for each future season, and could just keep making episodes for as long as we have enough members.

And whatever happens, we'll be open with our backers about what we're thinking... especially since we'll need your feedback to decide the future of the Gizmoplex membership program!

Also this bit in response to why they don't just toss all the new episodes on Youtube:

quote:

Part of our goal in launching the Gizmoplex is to make sure we can distribute our own episodes from now and bring in some ongoing revenue to support more new episodes, instead of depending on another Kickstarter for each new season.

So if you want to give Joel the benefit of the doubt, it never says that the Gizmoplex *will* fund all the new episodes, he just hopes it will bring in revenue to help do so.

But the thing is, the Gizmoplex was an abject failure. Even Joel mentions that creating a new subscription video on demand service wasn't going to work, so there's a lot of focus on live programming to justify your subscription:

quote:

While you will have access to watch old and new episodes "on demand," the value of a Gizmoplex pass isn't just about "access to episodes" – it's more like having a season pass for your favorite theater or sports team. Every month, we'll have at least 1-2 new "live events," and a Gizmoplex pass gets you into all of them.

And you know, "programming" a theater is one of the most exciting aspects of the Gizmoplex, because it lets us bring you more than just live episode premieres. We have all sorts of plans for curated events, including theme nights, marathons, re-riffs, live commentaries, panel discussions, special guest interviews and guest performances – and as founding members, we'll want to hear your ideas and suggestions for events too, so we can keep making the Gizmoplex better.

After all the new episodes premiered, those live events stopped happening. If Joel had actually delivered on that promise of 1-2 events per month I think people would have been happy to keep paying a subscription; after all I know plenty of us buy a ticket to the Mads each month.

While I'm skeptical that it would have brought in enough to fund a whole new season of episodes without crowd funding, it might have lowered the bar enough that people weren't balking at the amount being asked. So basically a situation like Season 12 where they went back and sold some producer credits to people to make up for money Netflix wasn't giving them.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nemo2342 posted:

After all the new episodes premiered, those live events stopped happening. If Joel had actually delivered on that promise of 1-2 events per month I think people would have been happy to keep paying a subscription; after all I know plenty of us buy a ticket to the Mads each month.

I definitely would. Those crew watchalongs they did on YouTube for the Season 13 campaign were awesome. I've gone back to watch the Hobgoblins episode a few times, because it's so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hugO9coWrw0

Have cast members pick episodes they like, and record everyone having a good time and laughing at the jokes and I'll pay you a monthly sub.

E:

I've had random episodes playing on shuffle from Plex all day while I work around the house, and I had forgotten just how many amazing riffs there are in the Manos episode.

*sheriff pulls over the family*
"Hey sorry,, but you're not filming Manos: Hands of Fate in OUR town."
"Do you have any idea how you were framing back there?"
"This is just one guy talking here! ... Just one guy... just one guy... That was just one guy doing all those voices, I can't believe it..."

*more footage of grimy scenery going past*
"So we're what, about half an hour into the movie by now?"
"No I'm afraid not... more like a minute."
"No..."

"Joel, this is going to turn into a snuff film."

"NO!! NOW THEY'RE GOING BACK THE OTHER WAY!"

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 26, 2023

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah, the Season 13 episodes during the Turkey Day Marathon really drove this point home. I swear to god the credits (even without the Kickstarter backer list) are five times longer than the originals. Unlike Redditors, I'm not insisting Joel & co go back to sitting in a closet lit by an itty bitty booklight, but surely there's some room to trim and consolidate roles? Or maybe there isn't? Like you said, it would be useful to see the accounting details. $4.1 million for six episodes SEEMS like an awful lot of money.

The Gizmoplex seems to be confusing, and even more confusingly explained. I checked it out when it launched, but I only discovered during the marathon that you can watch all(*) the old episodes on the Gizmoplex for free. While I appreciate that, it feels like it might make more sense to charge even a couple of bucks a month for that access. Or maybe they're figuring that getting exposure and new fans for their annual crowdfunding is more valuable?

* all the episodes they're legally allowed to stream.

This was the breakdown given during their last kickstarter, when they were doing everything remotely:

The prices go down as you make more episodes, because there are certain things that have upfront costs that stay the same no matter how many episodes you use it in.

The new campaign had the following original budgets:

6 episodes (4.8 million x 0.65 / 6 episodes) $520k per episode
9 episodes (6.1 million x 0.65 / 9 episodes) 440k per episode
12 episodes (7.2 million x 0.65 / 12 episodes) 390k per episode

And if we lop 800k off them for Joel moving everything to LA and giving up their offices and fabrication facilities:

6 episodes (4.0 million x 0.65 / 6 episodes) $433k per episode
9 episodes (5.3 million x 0.65 / 9 episodes) 382k per episode
12 episodes (6.4 million x 0.65 / 12 episodes) 346k per episode

Some of that increase comes from Joel wanting to pay people a better wage, but it also seems like a fair bit came from him trying to "do it like they used to" by moving everyone to be local to him and having to build a whole bunch of physical sets again.

A full breakdown would be nice, but that's all I could dig up with what we have available.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nemo2342 posted:

Some of that increase comes from Joel wanting to pay people a better wage, but it also seems like a fair bit came from him trying to "do it like they used to" by moving everyone to be local to him and having to build a whole bunch of physical sets again.

Yeah I 100% support paying everyone a better wage, and will gladly contribute to that.

The second part feels ... ambiguous and misguided? Obviously I don't know the specifics as well as Joel does, because I'm just some dude on the Internet and he was there. But it feels like back in the day it was organic -- people didn't move in to the Minnesota area to work on MST3K, everyone was local to begin with, instead of needing to move to the boondocks in rural Pennsylvania -- and they also had the support of a channel subsidising costs.

This jumped out at me in the Wikipedia article:

quote:

The Comedy Channel offered Best Brains $35,000 per episode but allowed Best Brains to retain the show's rights.

I know inflation is a thing, and money is more expensive than it used to be, but a jump from $35 000 per episode to $520k per episode feels drastic.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Did they even pay people with that?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Freemason Rush Week posted:

I do think it's worth remembering that Cinematic Titanic struggled because everyone lived in different parts of the country; even if Joel figured out how to smooth things over with Trace and Frank, scheduling conflicts might prevent them from doing much besides cameos. And even then it could require more green screening, which I know a lot of people dislike.

I seem to recall when CT was first announced, they promised a new episode every month but only made twelve over a five-year period and half of those were live recordings.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Another problem with the Gizmoplex is a lot of the episodes were already streaming on other platforms (Tubi, Plex, etc).

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

That just helped them with ads I don't wanna jump around to watch ads so one stop shop, adless was a plus for me

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Seems like there’s some disjunction in the Gizmoplex model between the costs as they’ve been presented to us and the special events we were promised but which didn’t continue after the new episodes aired. And I wonder if it isn’t to do with reliance on free content. I assume the cast was willing to do Zoom events and watch-alongs as promotional events attached to the show: for free, in other words. So any tickets sold for access to these promotional events would have been pure profit, in theory.

In practice, that money had to maintain their office and their permanent staff, plus the Gizmoplex itself. Asking the performers to keep doing live events after the new season aired, without paying them, wouldn’t have been an OK thing: most of the cast were working “regular” jobs to make ends meet. Why should they donate their time to volunteer for live events which make money that goes to the office staff at Joel’s company and not to the next season of the show, which will pay them.

I am frankly left unsure how much the cast actually got paid—we know from Yvonne, unfortunately, that they don’t get health coverage through the show—and while I’m OK supporting MST through crowdfunding, I’m uncomfortable with pledge goals this high if the cast doesn’t share in the wealth. If they’re all getting SAG TV scale, that’s extremely different from SAG streaming scale for the number of episodes each cast does, and I’d like to know which. A subset of people online seem to have compared numbers with the Comedy Central years, but how much were they paying their (non-union) cast back then? Was J. Elvis getting McDonalds-level compensation for his year on the show? We know only Jim and Joel saw residuals.

“Why should we pledge more when the show cost so much less back when it underpaid everyone except Joel and Jim” isn’t exactly a strong rallying cry from my perspective.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Davros1 posted:

Another problem with the Gizmoplex is a lot of the episodes were already streaming on other platforms (Tubi, Plex, etc).

Yeah, and it's taken some of the magic out of Turkey Day too. If every day is Turkey Day, why bother?

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Pershing posted:

Yeah, and it's taken some of the magic out of Turkey Day too. If every day is Turkey Day, why bother?

Bumper segments and fun intermissions with the hosts and casts can do a lot of heavy lifting there; I think the first time I became aware of Emily's existence was a few Turkey Days ago. But between the strikes, the fact that the "live" streaming content apparently has to be packaged ahead of time for platforms like Pluto, and the generally...shambolic? vibes MST3K has been giving off recently, it's not surprising that this year's Turkey Day felt extremely meh.

EDIT: oh, and the ads. idk if it was just because I was watching on Pluto or what but the frequency and duration of ad breaks felt oppressive.

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 26, 2023

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Is SoL LLC presumably getting some licensing cash from the various ad-based streaming platforms? I wonder how that factors into things.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wizards of the Lost Kingdom 2 is not a good movie, but I respect Roger Corman’s work ethic. He’ll find a way to make it work at any budget. I imagine David Carradine and his wife character were on the same set filming a different movie and that’s why they’re there, but only for a bit, and that the situation is reversed for the other warrior guy who’s only there at the beginning and the end.

I also like the idea of an adventurer couple with a good marriage.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
new email from joel

quote:

Greetings, backers.

Well, we’ve come to the end of the month, and the end of the Turkey Day Marathon and this campaign.

While we’re incredibly grateful for all of the support, enthusiasm, and encouragement, it’s clear we’ve fallen short of our goal this time.

First, to be clear, please understand that that means that no one will be charged anything, and we will not be collecting anything that you pledged to this campaign , since the agreement was that we’d only collect funds if we reached our minimum goal. No charges will be put on anyone’s credit cards.

Second, and more important, please know that we’re incredibly grateful for all of your input, feedback, concerns and questions, and are thinking about all the suggestions you have made over the past month.

One silver lining is that the continued support for this campaign, and the show, may have opened up some new conversations about potential partnerships and fundraising that could be key in getting the show another season.

We’ll spend some time now exploring those, and working to integrate all of the feedback and suggestions we’ve heard from you, and will follow up again next year, Lord willing and the creek don’t rise, when we’ve had a chance to regroup and have more to share downstream.

For now, whether you pledged or not, please accept our thanks and gratitude for your ongoing dedication and investment in MST3K.

We’re proud that the show continues to mean so much, to so many, and will keep working to figure out a path forward so that we can hopefully continue to #MakeMoreMST3K.

Until then, have a wonderful holiday season, and thanks again for all of your support.

Cheers and Thanks,

Joel and Team MST3K

big takeaway is that they'll try again sometime next year, probably with an actual fundraising campaign

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

new email from joel

One silver lining is that the continued support for this campaign, and the show, may have opened up some new conversations about potential partnerships and fundraising that could be key in getting the show another season.

Skeptical about this, but that would be ideal if it ends up being true.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I honestly don't think crowdfunding is going to work for future seasons. You can only go to that well so many times for large amounts like that.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

HannibalBarca posted:

Skeptical about this, but that would be ideal if it ends up being true.

*monkey pay curls*

"Welcome to Elon Musk's Mystery Science Theater 3000!"

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
Being marooned aboard the Cybertruck of Love would be too evil.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Pershing posted:

I know it wasn't official, but after clubmst3k I think that horse was already out of the barn. Still, Turkey Day is always going to have higher participation numbers than any other time of year.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jose Oquendo posted:

I honestly don't think crowdfunding is going to work for future seasons. You can only go to that well so many times for large amounts like that.

I think it would work better if they could arrange outside funding for an initial base season order and the crowd funding is just for additional episodes beyond that

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Obviously it's comparing apples and oranges, but there are boardgame companies and miniature companies that use Kickstarter as a way to get funding for new projects all the time, even though they could technically fund these things with their revenue streams. It's a good way to gauge interest in your upcoming product while also raising money that can go towards funding or expanding it. I feel like Joel could still do the same with MST3K, but he's going to need to do some serious budgeting and also lower his expectations/ambitions a fair bit.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Roger Corman's Mystery Science Theater 3000

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Murdstone posted:

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah I 100% support paying everyone a better wage, and will gladly contribute to that.

The second part feels ... ambiguous and misguided? Obviously I don't know the specifics as well as Joel does, because I'm just some dude on the Internet and he was there. But it feels like back in the day it was organic -- people didn't move in to the Minnesota area to work on MST3K, everyone was local to begin with, instead of needing to move to the boondocks in rural Pennsylvania -- and they also had the support of a channel subsidising costs.

Back in the day everyone was local because they had no money and just recruited whatever locals who were willing to work on what amounted to a passion project. It was especially bad during the KTMA season:

quote:

Beaulieu: Our budget for the show was microscopic. I think Josh and I were pulling down $25 a show, and I think Joel’s budget was a little higher, because he had to build props. We thought, well, let’s see how far this goes. We didn’t really know how long the show would last or if anyone was even watching it.

The main issue though (as far as costs) is the crew. Joel wanted to be hands-on with everything, and so wanted to hire crew who were based in Pennsylvania. But Pennsylvania doesn't exactly have a huge pool of talent just sitting around looking for a temporary gig, so he was going to have to pay more per person on average for everyone he needed to hire. In contrast filming in LA would have given him access to a much larger pool of crew to recruit from, which drives the average cost down even accounting for the higher cost of living in CA versus PA.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I know inflation is a thing, and money is more expensive than it used to be, but a jump from $35 000 per episode to $520k per episode feels drastic.

Adjusted for inflation, that's about 87k per episode for 13 episodes compared to 390k per episode for 12 episodes Joel asked for. One thing that wikipedia (and the article it cites) doesn't make clear is if that listed budget included the licensing rights. It talks about the cable channel being the one to obtain the rights for them, but I can't tell for sure if that was factored into that figure.

The original MST3K kickstarter clarifies that part of why it costs them so much per episode is because they have to license the movies themselves, and the rights got a lot more expensive once people realized what the movies were going to be used for. Joel also noted back then that "even in the ‘90s, an episode of MST3K cost us between $100K-200K" so that 35k figure may only apply to the very first season.

The one thing I do know is that they weren't making poo poo on that first CC season with the 35k budget:

quote:

Mallon: We had to take a warehouse space and turn it into a feasible studio—and also pay staff and support people—on next to no money. So hardly anybody made anything on the first [Comedy Channel] season. But everyone was getting to do what they’d dreamed of, which was to make a living making television comedy. Even if it was a poor living, it was intoxicating. And that energy helped carry the day for the first season.

At the end of the day, I feel pretty certain that the amount of money Joel is asking for is reasonable for the kind of show people would like to see (i.e. physical sets, movies that aren't just the same public-domain stuff everyone has riffed before, etc).

Unfortunately it just doesn't jive with the mythologized image we have in our heads of the show being made for the loose change you find in the couch cushions. And ultimately it may be impossible to keep funding seasons on the backs of the fans without Joel bringing in some significant additional revenue streams.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Murdstone posted:

So under budget but bland and boring, got it. :smuggo:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
seems like the whole concept of a movie host show is somewhat enivitably tied to a network or similar larger company. it's a symbiosis. they existed to fill time with movies the station already had. crowdfunding it is just trying to do it backwards.

obviously it would be great if you could just do host shows independently without issue, but it's rare. Mr. Lobo seems to be pulling it off, he has a network kind of but I think he also runs that? it's unclear. I assume Svengoolie has a deal with Metv, Joe Bob has one with Shudder (who seems to have one with Vinegar Syndrome and also has AMC above them). Elvira seems like she works out a new contract with the rights holders every time maybe?

Rifftrax was successful probably largely since the product they sold was just audio (at first) and thus they could make stuff for any movie they wanted to. Also means all they need are talent, writing, microphones, and time. No sets or costumes. They've evolved into a more expansive business over time at an apparently sustainable pace. I guess Legend Films was involved to some degree but how much is perhaps unclear.

If you want to be total independent with video based content you probably need to stick to public domain stuff. Which is definitely an option. But you will end up covering the same stuff as many others doing the same thing as there's only so much out there.

Maybe MST3K needs to find a way to sell video that the user can overlay onto movies? that'd be interesting. Also now that I think about it more yeah how the hell does Mr Lobo do it? I watched a movie on there once that has essentially zero Internet presence at all. The only thing you get looking it up is a letterboxd review asking if this movie is a prank or what?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Light Gun Man posted:

Maybe MST3K needs to find a way to sell video that the user can overlay onto movies? that'd be interesting.

It'd certainly be doable technically, but it runs into a big hurdle that the Rifftrax bring-your-own-film joke tracks generally don't: MST3K's movies aren't going to be big and famous and easy to find.

It's almost effortless to obtain a legal copy of, say, Rogue One to watch with the Rifftrax; good luck finding a copy of The Deadly Spruce Trees (1973) to pair with an MST video overlay.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I’ll do it, I’ll send Joel my DVD copy of Mystics in Bali

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Shudder would be a perfect partner but IDK what kind of money they have (and whether AMC will one day, well, shutter shudder). I go back to my previous point that Shout Factory can't have their cake and eat it too, and should front some of the money for future seasons

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

So under budget but bland and boring, got it. :smuggo:

Look at this guy never watched Death Race 2000 :v:

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I feel like I saw it mentioned somewhere at one point, but I wonder how much the timing of the fundraiser going on during the strike hurt them? The people you'd want doing promotion on it couldn't do much for a while.

Hope they figure a way to come around on it again, caught a few season 13 episodes and thought they were still going solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is shout putting out the physical releases of the new seasons? If so, they should definitely put up for making more new seasons.