Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Makes sense they incorporated it that way, given the ongoing theme/running gag the Mario RPGs have of having very little fourth wall, characters are often aware of game mechanics and will openly refer to them even outside of specific tutorials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I tried Terraformers, a roguelike strategy game about terraforming mars. (Designed around multiple shorter rounds with different scenarios and goals, vs having a single megalong campaign.)
It's interesting, but a part about it I really like is the leader system.

Every 10 turns there's an election where you pick one out of 2 leaders, they've got 3 active skills, and a passive skill.
The passive skill stays for the rest of the game, as it's effectively a cultural trait that leader imprinted society with.

And I find that really neat, it does mean that every single game you'll end up with a different stack of passives, that also alter your focus/direction depending on when in the game you get them.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Immortals: Fenyx Rising: The game is perfectly willing to let you cheese many of the puzzles and dungeons. You can spend time trying to figure out how to free up the blocks that go with pressure plate puzzles... or you can drag in rocks and tree trunks until you have enough weight. You can spend several tense tries on a timed arrow puzzle where you and the targets are moving... or you can take it easy with the directed arrow power if you have enough stamina.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's a bit late, but I'm going back to the scariest flashlight-centric horror game, Luigi's Mansion 3. I'd forgotten that the communication/information device was a joke on the Virtual Boy this time around. It's great seeing that interface when you call in to E. Gadd, and I love seeing the map inset in that red vector format. Honestly I loved the real thing back in the day, eyestrain, limited library and all, it really hits the nostalgia button for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's a bit late, but I'm going back to the scariest flashlight-centric horror game, Luigi's Mansion 3. I'd forgotten that the communication/information device was a joke on the Virtual Boy this time around. It's great seeing that interface when you call in to E. Gadd, and I love seeing the map inset in that red vector format. Honestly I loved the real thing back in the day, eyestrain, limited library and all, it really hits the nostalgia button for me.

Have you heard the good word of our patron saint; Lethal Company? It's mainly "AAGGGGHHH :yikes:", sometimes "NonoNONONO! :gibs:", and often just silence and a skittering in the darkness while wondering where your friends are as the flashlight runs out...

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Metro Exodus is on sale so I'm playing that. You can use your lighter to burn hanging cobwebs that slow your movement. Sometimes when you do, large spider things will crawl over your arm or across your gas mask face plate.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you heard the good word of our patron saint; Lethal Company? It's mainly "AAGGGGHHH :yikes:", sometimes "NonoNONONO! :gibs:", and often just silence and a skittering in the darkness while wondering where your friends are as the flashlight runs out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Riha-5HjQ0

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Hey, question about this game, does the game create the reverb effects for the voice? It's really good... but it could just be the other dude's microphone :|

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

credburn posted:

Hey, question about this game, does the game create the reverb effects for the voice? It's really good... but it could just be the other dude's microphone :|

it has proximal audio but i don't know how it works mechanically. this one's a good example of it (volume/arachnophobia warning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbqwsWQxtpg

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pancho Jueves posted:

Immortals: Fenyx Rising: The game is perfectly willing to let you cheese many of the puzzles and dungeons. You can spend time trying to figure out how to free up the blocks that go with pressure plate puzzles... or you can drag in rocks and tree trunks until you have enough weight. You can spend several tense tries on a timed arrow puzzle where you and the targets are moving... or you can take it easy with the directed arrow power if you have enough stamina.

I really like the puzzle design of the game, since they designed some puzzles, and designed some powers, and if those powers can trivialize the puzzles, well who cares, let the players feel clever for figuring out the shortcuts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

credburn posted:

It does something to everyone's quality when you get inside or if you're underwater. Warning: Video begins with screaming as they're being chased, you'll hear it better by about 20seconds in so check your volume before you hit play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p54IPVxg_90

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

credburn posted:

Yeah, it does, it's got both positional audio and environmental modifiers

edit: also whether or not you're using walkie-talkies is important, of course

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Similar situation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PmUrlgOvNk

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

credburn posted:

The spatial audio work in this game is legit fantastic. The walkie-talkies also pick up ambient sounds, so if someone finds an airhorn or clown honker, they will carry through someone else's active walkie-talkie.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Yeah. Likewise if someone steps on a landmine while they have the mic open everyone else's walkie talkies just get hit with a burst of static.

Not to mention that sound-sensitive enemies can hear your walkie talkie too, and unlike Phasmophibia staying back in the truck to watch the monitors isn't safe at all :laugh:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lethal Company also has automatic extendo ladders that you can use to make bridges. These ladders are, as the name of the game suggests, lethal.

So are the enemies that can wander around outside your spawn point/home base/return vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh3ynhUA4rg

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bawk posted:

Lethal Company also has automatic extendo ladders that you can use to make bridges. These ladders are, as the name of the game suggests, lethal.

So are the enemies that can wander around outside your spawn point/home base/return vehicle.

Minor context for this one; Normally the outdoor creatures don't turn up until after sundown (you arrive at dawn, time passes, and night falls over the course of your round). But there are potential weather modifiers randomly applied to your selection of visitable Moons each round, and one of them is Eclipse.

Eclipse means it's dark straight from the get-go...

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The overwhelming amount of videos I've seen on twitter suggest it is comedy rather than horror actually I wish I wasn't such a baby it looks really fun to play honestly

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's struck a good balance of being frequently terrifying in the moment while low-stakes overall, because it's designed so that you will die even if you get a few good runs - the Company begins jacking up your quota to unreachably high levels and then just vents your whole crew into space when you fail to hit the milestone

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That does sound pretty great, I miss out on a lot by not really doing multiplayer stuff though :sigh:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kitfox88 posted:

The overwhelming amount of videos I've seen on twitter suggest it is comedy rather than horror actually I wish I wasn't such a baby it looks really fun to play honestly

Grab a walkie-talkie and sit in the ship running comms for your team. Having someone watching the monitors to track where everyone is can literally be a lifesaver when you can tell someone there's a turret just around the corner.

Or a quick-moving red dot coming down the hallway and they need to run back NOW.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
X4:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Grab a walkie-talkie and sit in the ship running comms for your team. Having someone watching the monitors to track where everyone is can literally be a lifesaver when you can tell someone there's a turret just around the corner.

Or a quick-moving red dot coming down the hallway and they need to run back NOW.

I was under the impression you aren't that much safer in the command vehicle than you are in the building, but maybe the stuff I saw there was people purposefully dragging back monsters to it for trolls.

DyneAvenger
Aug 26, 2005

Bru-Tang Clan member:
Nose Face Killah

Kitfox88 posted:

I was under the impression you aren't that much safer in the command vehicle than you are in the building, but maybe the stuff I saw there was people purposefully dragging back monsters to it for trolls.

You are safer in the ship, but not completely safe. The back door of the ship will only stay shut for X seconds before popping back open on its own. This means that you have to occasionally flip the monitors back to you every so often so nothing creeps up on the ship.

Then there's the ever terrifying decision of whether or not you want to open the door to let your friend in who is being chased through the woods by something big.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

:itwaspoo:

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

In Like a dragon: Gaiden you can recruit people to help in special group fights in the coliseum and my two best allies are currently a robot with a chainsaw and a chicken-headed man with a machine gun. I was surprised and yet, also wouldn't expect anything less ridiculous from these games.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Agents are GO! posted:

Clean the entirety of Skyrim.

See that mountain? You can clean it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Biplane posted:

Had to have a Conversation with my ten year old after Lakitu calls Mario a war criminal in Paper Mario: Color Splash after fighting in the colosseum, which I thought was kind of funny in a kind of sad way :lol: :smith:

consider this though: literally no better time to be doing that!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Solenna posted:

In Like a dragon: Gaiden you can recruit people to help in special group fights in the coliseum and my two best allies are currently a robot with a chainsaw and a chicken-headed man with a machine gun. I was surprised and yet, also wouldn't expect anything less ridiculous from these games.

The best part is the second one there is far and away the best fighter you can recruit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Finally started doing the Wanted missions in Saints Row, they are pretty funny. I loved the one with the Grandma who just wants to kill the target herself because he stole her credit card. That was fun.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bussamove posted:

The best part is the second one there is far and away the best fighter you can recruit.

You always want the chicken in a Yakuza game.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bawk posted:

has sound

https://i.imgur.com/5Xt3v9W.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Mario RPG remake seems pretty stellar overall, but the updated soundtrack feels like the highlight. It sticks closely to the music's original form, but it feels like it has a lot of extra oomph in terms of the arrangements and instrument updates than what you often get in a basic remake. I think that's the flair you get from bringing the original composer back to lead the music development. Just great stuff, and you can even switch back to the original music too as an added bonus.

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 04:02 on Nov 28, 2023

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

The Mario RPG remake seems pretty stellar overall, but the updated soundtrack feels like the highlight. It sticks closely to the music's original form, but it feels like it has a lot of extra oomph in terms of the arrangements and instrument updates than what you often get in a basic remake. I think that's the flair you get from bringing the original computer back to lead the music development. Just great stuff, and you can even switch back to the original music too as an added bonus.

Yeah, Yoko Shimomura killed it.

One of a Kind
May 18, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Mario RPG soundtrack

I love how the remake gave them a chance to create (MAJOR ENDGAME SPOILERS) a new orchestral cover of Culex's theme for his post-game rematch. Not to mention a whole new set of 3D models for his fight.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Is there an option to swap back to the original soundtrack? I loved that the Spyro remaster allowed you to choose the original or remade tracks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Is there an option to swap back to the original soundtrack? I loved that the Spyro remaster allowed you to choose the original or remade tracks.

yes, you can seamlessly switch them back and forth

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

One more Lethal Company clip (sound required):

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZPRvXGcEy/

The clown horn is by far the best item in the game :allears:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Most terrifying clown horn usage since Space Station 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Its great! The best part is you can recreate this with your friends :) The horn can also attract the attention of hostile enemies so its a real Horror Movie moment of "haha just kidding guys! Its just me! :haw:" *grabbed by the shadow monster and ripped out of the open doorway*