Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Robert Jordan’s author picture in the paperbacks I read has him wearing a dumb hat that matches his description of Mat’s, make of that what you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Soul Glo posted:

Robert Jordan’s author picture in the paperbacks I read has him wearing a dumb hat that matches his description of Mat’s, make of that what you will

lol post it

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

it's this

so, very likely to be an self-insert into the story lol

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'd pay a gold mark for a hat like that

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Soul Glo posted:

it's this

m'veren

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'd pay a gold mark for a hat like that

You won't get that deal twice

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Soul Glo posted:

it's this

He was also a pretty tall dude, somewhere close to 6'3" I think. He then went on to make Rand and Perrin super loving tall, and while Mat isn't quite there he's certainly no shorty.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

:vince:

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I would have picked a nicer wall.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Soul Glo posted:

it's this

Officially his self insert was the library ter'angreal that the wondergirls recovered in Ebou Dar

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Man it's a shame that so much of the Last Battle hinges on fighting a slavering monolithic horde that literally breeds to get its number up. Iirc Tolkien regretted that he made the orcs that way. It's just makes the battles so much flatter.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

NeurosisHead posted:

Officially his self insert was the library ter'angreal that the wondergirls recovered in Ebou Dar

Also Loial/Thom.

Shageletic posted:

Man it's a shame that so much of the Last Battle hinges on fighting a slavering monolithic horde that literally breeds to get its number up. Iirc Tolkien regretted that he made the orcs that way. It's just makes the battles so much flatter.

I really wish we would have been able to get the post-series book that he had an idea of that was Mat in Seanchan basically ending their system of slavery. All that was written down was like, two sentences so it'll never happen.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

it's this

There's a neat little detail in I think it's 2x01 where Rand is entering the Foregate of Cairhien for the first time (that we see, anyway). Coming up behind him in the distance just out of focus but right in the center of the shot is a dude on a horse who's wearing Jordan's hat, jacket and beard style.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Shageletic posted:

Wistfully remembering Narg and wondering if the Trollocs were supposed to have more individuality and personality before Jordan sort of figured out where he was going with things.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Also Loial/Thom.

I really wish we would have been able to get the post-series book that he had an idea of that was Mat in Seanchan basically ending their system of slavery. All that was written down was like, two sentences so it'll never happen.
I wouldn't mind some new author trying to write that one and being released "officially". If it sucks I can just ignore it, and if it doesn't suck, then good!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

JOHN SKELETON posted:

I wouldn't mind some new author trying to write that one and being released "officially". If it sucks I can just ignore it, and if it doesn't suck, then good!

eh

imo dead people's works should be left in peace. finishing wot was kinda borderline case, because the og author had written scripts on how it should end and wanted someone to finish it

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Kevin J Anderson did such a fine job with Dune he should get to do it.

*runs away*

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

*runs away*

even frank couldn't write a good sequel to dune

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I'm still laughing at this.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

ChubbyChecker posted:

eh

imo dead people's works should be left in peace. finishing wot was kinda borderline case, because the og author had written scripts on how it should end and wanted someone to finish it

I don't think I would call it borderline. He prepared speficially so someone could finish it due to knowing he was dying. It was his explicit will. I would say that only extends to finish through the last battle though and not the outrigger novels that had no notes for them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

*runs away*

*Paulo chases*

Calenth
Jul 11, 2001

Oh goddammit

pik_d posted:

He was also a pretty tall dude, somewhere close to 6'3" I think. He then went on to make Rand and Perrin super loving tall, and while Mat isn't quite there he's certainly no shorty.

I'm 6'3" and he was taller than I am, about 6'5" I'd guess, and broad also (that photo with the hat is post-diagnosis I think and he'd lost a lot of weight).

At one point he decided to buy a porsche (I think he'd always wanted one) and they had a big problem finding one that he could fit into. They ended up measuring all around him and finding one with like an inch of clearance each way. I saw him zipping around Charleston in it once.

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Also Loial/Thom.

I think most of the male characters were some aspect of his personality but Thom and Loial were the closest direct matches at least as I knew him, Thom especially -- Thom the public persona and Loial the more rarely seen private. Thom even had his same limp which I'm sure was deliberate.

*runs away*

Y'all don't know how lucky we are. No joke. I literally heard Tom Doherty (the founder of Tor Books)float this ("Kevin Anderson did a great job with the Dune books") at the reception following Jordan's funeral. Everyone standing around just sort of grimaced.

Calenth fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 27, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Pretty major casting news here in terms of role and recognizable actor.

https://www.wotseries.com/2023/11/28/olivia-williams-joins-amazon-wheel-of-time/

Seems weird that they would do this splashy casting without some sense they’d get another season but :shrug:

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Ugh, fine, I’ll say it. I don’t get it.

Ta’veren but…?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

latinotwink1997 posted:

Ugh, fine, I’ll say it. I don’t get it.

Ta’veren but…?

Imagine this dude saying it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I lol'd when Owl House namechecked that meme

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

buffalo all day posted:

https://www.wotseries.com/2023/11/28/olivia-williams-joins-amazon-wheel-of-time/

Seems weird that they would do this splashy casting without some sense they’d get another season but :shrug:

Hell yeah, Olivia Williams rules

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

buffalo all day posted:

What should I know her from? I looked her up on IMDb, and while she has a ton of credits, the only one I know her from is Bruce Willis' wife from The Sixth Sense 24 years ago. And she was in The Crown as Camilla which I didn't watch but fine. Even so, I don't think it's all that major. This is probably a "me" problem. What big thing am I missing?

She's probably huge in England and I just don't know.

edit: Oh, Rushmore, which is cool, but I haven't watched in ages. And X-Men 3 as Moira, which...eh.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 28, 2023

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I'm in England and although I recognise her face I can't think of anything I have seen her in.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

What should I know her from? I looked her up on IMDb, and while she has a ton of credits, the only one I know her from is Bruce Willis' wife from The Sixth Sense 24 years ago. And she was in The Crown as Camilla which I didn't watch but fine. Even so, I don't think it's all that major. This is probably a "me" problem. What big thing am I missing?

She's probably huge in England and I just don't know.

edit: Oh, Rushmore, which is cool, but I haven't watched in ages. And X-Men 3 as Moira, which...eh.
i dont think i've seen a single one of her movies except maybe xmen 3 and im not sure ive seen xmen 3 either so no its not just you

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I saw the movie where she was Eleanor Roosevelt against Bill Murray playing FDR. It wasn't very good.

Anyway it's cool how all these actresses of a certain age get a bunch of Bezos money through this show.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

She's in Rushmore, and really great in Counterpoint.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

I knew WoT fans were sick freaks but the number of people itt who haven’t seen Rushmore…

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
She was great in Dollhouse

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I haven't seen any of the mentioned films so far.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dysgenesis posted:

I haven't seen any of the mentioned films so far.

Wait, all other things aside, you haven't seen The Sixth Sense? Fascinating. I figured that was one of those, "Everyone saw it" movies.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I've seen none of those except a little bit of Dollhouse which was very Whedon in a bad way.

Sixth Sense is one of those "everyone has seen or knows the ending" movies, not just the first half of that statement.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

So this is the royal family of andor then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Just got to the part where Mat gets control over the battlefields in MoL. gently caress it sucks to tear myself away from it rn. So many events are happening so quickly but it's so good too.