Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

Green Green had a fine start but it's funny that, of the three sports manga currently in WSJ, in all 3 the inciting incident is a boy seeing a cute girl do the sport.

Anyway Nao is good and I hope she never gets pushed into the background.

Not true.

There are four sports manga, and one starts with the boy seeing a cute girl doing a different sport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sindai posted:

Green Green had a fine start but it's funny that, of the three sports manga currently in WSJ, in all 3 the inciting incident is a boy seeing a cute girl do the sport.

Anyway Nao is good and I hope she never gets pushed into the background.

The female lead in All-Rounder Meguru basically became a co-protagonist after a while, so there's precedence in an MMA book for them to be front and center.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Clarste posted:

Yeah, it felt weird, like we spent a whole chapter setting up a funny situation, and then another chapter carefully dismantling it before anything funny could happen.

Yeah, it didn't have to be a long, ongoing plot point, but they could have gotten SOME mileage out of it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If you want more golf manga, I highly recommend Nikaido Hell Golf by Kaiji mangaka Nobuyuki Fukamoto. Only a few chapters have been fan translated but it's fantastic so far.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

The female lead in All-Rounder Meguru basically became a co-protagonist after a while, so there's precedence in an MMA book for them to be front and center.

Not only was Maki great. But the last chapter was one of the cutest confessions I honestly think I've ever seen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ooh, Dandadan is getting an anime by Science Saru.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Make the Exorcist Fall in Love:
I still don't feel bad for Asmodeus but holy crap Priest, even if he didn't go all out that was still savage.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I almost felt bad for Asmodeus, which is quite a feat, considering how much of a monster she is. But unlike Mammon or Beelzebub, she showed a bit of regret and self-reflection in the end and also unlike those two, her actual physical battle with Mr. Priest was just one-sided stomping. Overall, this was pretty great arc and, despite my initial misgivings, it did use and expand on Asmodeus pretty well.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1730346043483537430

Key art on this is cool

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Tsuruko Returns the Favor: I think I'm about ready to drop this one. It's just as bland as can be, and I'm honestly not sure if the mangaka has any idea where to go with things. Everything's starting to feel pretty rote and it's only been eleven chapters

Diasporaiser: Meanwhile, I'm all in on this one. This last arc's been pretty fun, and the opening splash for this chapter was pretty cool

Wild Strawberry: My reaction to Makki being a secret Jinka: :geno:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Shinji2015 posted:

Wild Strawberry: My reaction to Makki being a secret Jinka: :geno:

I completely forgot they existed.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

The Black Stones posted:

:same:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Black Stones posted:

The fun thing is it has that, but also undermines the motivation for the main cast in multiple ways. It's just such a weird decision.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

The fun thing is it has that, but also undermines the motivation for the main cast in multiple ways. It's just such a weird decision.

This. My first thought was who? And my second was..err so I guess that finding the mother flower is useless now? Having a normal guy in the group would’ve been pretty interesting. It’s also such a weird thing with how we met the guy and how he was portrayed

Unrelated, but I really hate the white glow effect all characters have to make them stand out.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
buncha TSUYOSHI chapters dropped

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

This will end just like Phantom Seer just based on the vibe.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Mikane and The Sea Woman: Yukko is great, her family is great and I'm cheering on her too. :3:

Magical Girl Tsubame: I Will (Not) Save The World!: Of course, the greatest way to let everyone know that you are a famous detective is to write it on your business card! Also am I just getting used to the art-style, or is it getting better? Because I kinda feel that I am liking the art more and more as I read along?

The key art for the new series does look cool, but the premise honestly sounds about as generic as it gets.

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 2, 2023

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Yeah, “high-school students fight monsters formed from bad vibes” is basically the default shonen manga premise. Jujutsu Kaisen and even Nue’s Exorcist at least have an additional hook on top of that.

Edit: Jujutsu Kaisen also almost completely ditches the high school elements fairly early on.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Dec 1, 2023

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Lt. Lizard posted:

Mikane and The Sea Woman: Yukko is great, her family is great and I'm cheering on her too. :3:

You can just see when the mom is thinking "oh, that loving bitch, how dare she make my daughter feel bad :3:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Silver2195 posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen and even Nue’s Exorcist at least have an additional hook on top of that.

Isn't Nue's Exorcist's hook just ecchi?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Lt. Lizard posted:

[b]Magical Girl Tsubame: I Will (Not) Save The World!: Also am I just getting used to the art-style, or is it getting better? Because I kinda feel that I am liking it more and more as I read along?

I think maybe it's just that the story and art got together well enough that you're letting yourself enjoy it. I like Mapollo's art a lot, and I think it improves a story I wouldn't otherwise bother with if it was drawn more like a traditional magical girl story.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Flair posted:

I was thinking more "the protagonist works for the source of the local bad vibes monsters he's fighting." But yes, even with that hook it's still a pretty generic harem/battle hybrid.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Flair posted:

…no? Like, if it is it’s doing a lovely job of it. That was Ayakashi Triangle’s job.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Anyone remember Psyren? That was a good series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was starting to flounder a bit before it (presumably) got the axe. the mc had a real cool power, though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought the ending was pretty decent considering the author had to wrap it up in like 3 chapters

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Flair posted:

Not much of it. It's more leaning towards the other half of harem comedy where the down-to-earth protagonist charms a bunch of cute girls and gets into comedic misunderstandings.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Nue is almost an ecchi. And the timing of it was close enough to when Ayakashi left SJ to J+ that its not unlikely it was intended as the inheritor of the ecchi slot.

The elements are all there and the love triangle is on track to gain more sides. But it just doesnt go the extra bit above the standard hijinks to make it ecchi.
So it just makes every time I read it just really weird like Im looking at a really dangerous intersection waiting for a car crash that never happens

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 2, 2023

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Nue is almost an ecchi. And the timing of it was close enough to when Ayakashi left SJ to J+ that its not unlikely it was intended as the inheritor of the ecchi slot.

The elements are all there and the love triangle is on track to gain more sides. But it just doesnt go the extra bit above the standard hijinks to make it ecchi.
So it just makes every time I read it just really weird like Im looking at a really dangerous intersection waiting for a car crash that never happens

The most recent chapter did at least introduce the main character's sister, then offhandedly mention that she's adopted, which got an eyeroll out of me.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

service wars ended with chapter 37. if you’re ever in need a quick pick-me-up it was an exceptionally funny gag manga

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Sometimes it suddenly remembers it has girls and inserts a wildly out of place shot of boobs or butts. But otherwise it doesn’t seem to have much interest in ecchi and that’s fine.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I think I'm rapidly losing patience with Hope You're Happy, Lemon. It seems thoroughly uninterested in exploring any questions about gender queerness or performativity or any exploration whatsoever. Which, whatever, I know that's not exaclty surprising, as several people here have noted, and it's hard to expect that from a shounen targeted series. But it's a shame.

What is really killing it for me is that the writing relies on characters being neutron star levels of dense and non-communicative with each other. Like as of the latest chapter, Lemon intends on winning back Sunao, but the obvious idea of actually telling him why she lied in the first place just, isn't an option? It's doubly frustrating because we ARE privvy to her thoughts but we AREN'T privvy to why she lied. She obviously had a reason, but since the audience is still in the dark, it becomes frustrating to see these two characters try to maneuver all of this with their combined one braincell.

I think it could be executed better if we were restricted to just one character's inner thoughts. But to hear the thoughts of Sunao, Lemon, and other girl, AND that they all are catastrophically misunderstanding each other, is a bit much. At least for where I'm at in life. Though as I type it out, the fact that not a single character is on the page of any other character is actually kind of funny and may win me back if it pushes they to an extreme.

And as a small note, it is shockingly un-gay for a story about a guy body swapping into a girl who lives with another girl he crushes on.

I really like the art :(:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I agree. The art is nice and the premise could be interesting, but the author seems to actively refuse to do anything with it outside of the not-super-engaging romcom.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

And as a small note, it is shockingly un-gay for a story about a guy body swapping into a girl who lives with another girl he crushes on.

I appreciate that Sunao didn't try to take advantage when he thought that his crush and Lemon were dating and he was okay with them not being straight, but yeah.

Also, we haven't really seen what Lemon does when she's in Sunao's body and away from Sunao. Even if the mangaka isn't interested in exploring gender norms (aside from a bit on the first chapter), I kinda feel like the situation demands it a little. Sunao is too stressed about living with his crush to seemingly deal with being a woman, but how is Lemon dealing with being in her crush's body?

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Not sure what the circumstances around Service Wars ending were, but if the mangaka just decided 37 chapters was the perfect length, that is an impressively precise sense for how long your joke can be funny for without stretching it out too long. I don't usually like gag manga but I read it because I thought Mashle was pretty entertaining and ended up following most of it weekly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, I agree. The art is nice and the premise could be interesting, but the author seems to actively refuse to do anything with it outside of the not-super-engaging romcom.

It's a bodyswapping manga that doesn't seem especially interested in the bodyswapping part, which is just weird.

Edit: Probably the most damning part for a romcon, though, is that I don't particularly want any of them to get together with each other.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Dec 3, 2023

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tosk posted:

Not sure what the circumstances around Service Wars ending were, but if the mangaka just decided 37 chapters was the perfect length, that is an impressively precise sense for how long your joke can be funny for without stretching it out too long. I don't usually like gag manga but I read it because I thought Mashle was pretty entertaining and ended up following most of it weekly.

It was the same for their previous manga.
Lasted just long enough (47 chapters) that when they started burning out of ideas they ended it. Looking forward to the next one.

(Loved the retcon gaslighting chiropractic cop lmao)

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 3, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
another home run from yozakura family this week

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I realize I could probably ask this in the dedicated thread but I don't wanna harsh any positive vibes they got going in there. So:

What's a good chunk to test read for Undead Unlock? Because the sequential early bits had basically zero appeal for me, but the stuff I hear about where the story goes later on does seem interesting, and it wouldn't be the first time a book takes a while to get it's legs underneath it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Undead Unluck thread is for the anime so that would be a bad idea anyway (I should probably just make a manga thread). I think the real turning point is about chapter 35. The arc after that is extremely good and it just keeps getting better from there.