Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

By popular demand posted:

I absolutely not trust a cheap li ion battery with my feet, especially not when it's raining
Why not, don't you want to have warm and dry feet?

Echophonic posted:

Getting more of my 11.11 stuff. The work knife(the 1858 on the link) I got for $1.79 is surprisingly nice. Seems sturdy and comes with 4 blades. Should be great for opening packaging. Even at 6, it's not bad.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805815400411.html
For $1.79 that looks great, would've grabbed one. At 6 I'll live with my cheapo box cutter that worked fine for years though.

I ordered some $1.79 stuff and it seems it just recently left the country of origin. I thought there's plenty of time for the 13-day shipping or whatever they were promising but I only have until Wednesday to pick it up before I leave. I specifically ordered a charger and some cables to bring on vacation :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Anyone use one of the “go pro”
Type cameras? Just low price and decent video quality for a kid to use to make videos for YouTube.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

everdave posted:

Anyone use one of the “go pro”
Type cameras? Just low price and decent video quality for a kid to use to make videos for YouTube.

I've had a Xiaomi Yi camera like this for years and it still works after diving, crashing on drones, falling off a car, etc:

They made a 4k version later but it seems that even that is now discontinued :(

I remember SJCam being an alternative back then, it seems they're still around but you'd probably have to check some reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H48n9Lu-Lww

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I've had a Xiaomi Yi camera like this for years and it still works after diving, crashing on drones, falling off a car, etc:

They made a 4k version later but it seems that even that is now discontinued :(

I remember SJCam being an alternative back then, it seems they're still around but you'd probably have to check some reviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H48n9Lu-Lww

Will check it out thanks

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm unfortunately probably going to have to return a handheld I bought on Ali, because it has a defect. Am I supposed to wait with "confirming delivery" until I sort that out with the seller, or do I need to do that first?

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
You have to confirm delivery then raise a dispute

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

What's wrong with it?
I've had three different sellers honor their warranty and ship out spare parts when I asked them, without having to send anything back.

From everything I've seen, trying to ship anything back to the seller is too expensive and risky most of the time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
at some angles one of the analog sticks doesn't output correctly. e.g., in a third person game, i start walking instead of running at those angles, and at certain points almost stop.

this is a third party seller (but highly rated), so i don't think they'd ship repair parts.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Wifi Toilet posted:

You’re telling me I can give someone a hot foot with my phone now? The future is amazing!

Dominic, you rat!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
If anyone still needs a mini pc, the Chuwi N100 one is $127 shipped now (excl. tax): https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805513158014.html
It's a bit more than the cheapest one that I got (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805048523628.html there seems to be a $10 off code now) but there's a USB-C, DP, and better WiFi.

Has someone used cheapo hair clippers from ali like this or one of the dragon ones?

I just realized it would be very handy when travelling. I usually just buzz my head and face with my Philips clippers but it's pretty large and needs a special charger instead of using USB.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

wibble posted:

Tax is now included for my country.

Don't get me loving started on FREE SHIPPING to :australia:

:lol:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Rinkles posted:

at some angles one of the analog sticks doesn't output correctly. e.g., in a third person game, i start walking instead of running at those angles, and at certain points almost stop.

this is a third party seller (but highly rated), so i don't think they'd ship repair parts.

Did you break the rules?

Did you purchase something electronic or something you insert in your body?

:wtf:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I got the regular style cut clipper my wife used to cut hair for me. Then I got this to cut hair myself.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOxX4lE

IME its much easier to cut hair yourself with this wide sweeping design. Its less likely to miss spots in the back of your head with it. I tried to set up multiple mirrors or live steam camera to see the back of my head when I am cutting and it was just stupid complicated. Now I just use this to sweep the back of my head a few times to make sure there are no weird spots missing.

If you just want regular style hair cutter, they are lose leaders in Marshalls and TJ Maxx, you don't need to go online to buy them.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I just realized it would be very handy when travelling. I usually just buzz my head and face with my Philips clippers but it's pretty large and needs a special charger instead of using USB.

It's an off-brand Oneblade. Looks like the parts are pretty much exactly the same except that white plastic bit is built into the head of the official ones and possibly has a bit more metal in it. For shaving my head, I find the oneblade works best just for getting the longer bits down (especially at the back of my head) when I've been too lazy to shave for a few days so my normal shavers can do their job better. For the face it's more than serviceable but you won't get a baby smooth shave from it.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Bought a couple of proffieboards to upgrade my kids lightsaber. They work perfectly and if you buy them with an included SD card you get a ton of sound fonts installed already cause we all know that Lukes saber does sound completely different than Obi Wans!

If you know how to solder and have a kid that's into Star wars they're a neat little project for about 50-60$ all parts included.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
What kind of product does that sound board slot into?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Well "slot into" is a bit optimistic. My son bought something like this:

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msbatYy

It's not 100% the same but pretty similar.

The sounds and motion detection on those is pretty lovely so the proffieboard replaces the electronics completely. But you can reuse the LED, battery, speaker, charging port and button. And it has a metal swordhandle and decently sized blade for a kid.

Like I said, it's quite a bit of soldering and figuring stuff out but it was a fun project.

I'm building a second one with LEDs running all the way up the blade just for fun.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mrrMufA

I'd be losing money if I didn't buy this!

Ogma
Jun 6, 2003

Let the festivities commence!

Armacham posted:

The best part is that the ducks are free from your local park.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Armacham posted:

that's how you get murdered by a goose

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

stephenthinkpad posted:

I got the regular style cut clipper my wife used to cut hair for me. Then I got this to cut hair myself.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOxX4lE

IME its much easier to cut hair yourself with this wide sweeping design. Its less likely to miss spots in the back of your head with it. I tried to set up multiple mirrors or live steam camera to see the back of my head when I am cutting and it was just stupid complicated. Now I just use this to sweep the back of my head a few times to make sure there are no weird spots missing.

If you just want regular style hair cutter, they are lose leaders in Marshalls and TJ Maxx, you don't need to go online to buy them.
Oh wow that's an interesting shape, seems like it could be more ergonomic for cutting hair myself. And yeah I have to hold a mirror in one hand and look into the other to see what the gently caress I'm doing.

Hard to tell if it's smaller in terms of volume but probably worth trying just for more convenient use at home.

Tornhelm posted:

It's an off-brand Oneblade. Looks like the parts are pretty much exactly the same except that white plastic bit is built into the head of the official ones and possibly has a bit more metal in it. For shaving my head, I find the oneblade works best just for getting the longer bits down (especially at the back of my head) when I've been too lazy to shave for a few days so my normal shavers can do their job better. For the face it's more than serviceable but you won't get a baby smooth shave from it.
Ahh makes sense, I must've seen an ad for Oneblade somewhere. I generally don't shave the head (or face) completely baby smooth, a pass with hair clippers generall leaves a bit of stubble and I'm fine with that. Seems like this could work pretty well.

I was just packing for a 3-week backpacking trip and realized I'd either have to take my regualar clippers and charger that will take up a decent amout of space/weight, actually shave with a razor every few days, or use local barber or something.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Or, you know, just don’t shave for a bit. It’s allowed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Or, you know, just don’t shave for a bit. It’s allowed.

I know but if I don't trim my head every few days I end up looking like a balding middle-aged dad

:smith: at least I'm not a dad ok

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

I know but if I don't trim my head every few days I end up looking like a balding middle-aged dad

:smith: at least I'm not a dad ok

I have hair but I shave my head every day with an electric razor because it’s infinitely easier. If I let it grow out it’s way more of a pain in the rear end to shave it down.

I just have a cheap $30 electric face razor from Amazon that I spend 3 min running over my dome in the morning.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
I think your dadness might be worth the size/weight savings, but your call, of course. It leaves room for your rooster leash, no one will even notice your hair if you’re taking your cock for a walk.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008
I recommend the Philips OneBlade far too often. But it’s been the best shaver I’ve ever used.

As long as you don’t need baby smooth it’ll do everything, face and body and head. It cuts to about what it feels like in the evening if I shaved that morning. Even if I miss a spot with a razor, my go to is to the OneBlade to fix it, and then I can no longer tell the spot I missed.

It can also take a usb charger (not officially,but you can find it on Ali and it works fine, just takes longer to charge), and the charge lasts quite a long time.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I found a doodoo CRT TV and picked it up, somebody help me pick a nes and SNES flash cart from ali

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

I found a doodoo CRT TV and picked it up, somebody help me pick a nes and SNES flash cart from ali
I would grab these
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOtrt4M
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtHQBXa

Or whatever the cheapest everdrive knockoff from a reputable seller is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

A what now CRT TV?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

wa27 posted:

I would grab these
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mOtrt4M
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mtHQBXa

Or whatever the cheapest everdrive knockoff from a reputable seller is.

I’ve never ordered from Ali but follow the thread for some reason and this caught my eye.
Does anyone have any experience/know about an Intellivision flash cart on Ali?
It may be wayyyy too niche, but thought I’d at least ask since last time I looked anywhere online there was like, one guy making them and they were $$$$

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

At work I've been using a lovely little ball speaker I got free from a cigarette company like a decade ago to play lofi beats as background music in my cube. I wanted something cute that matched my desk, so I got l'il pink retro-style speaker with an aux option for my mp3 player.

Unfortunately, when you hold the button down to turn it on, it immediately announces BLUETOOTH MODE at maximum volume regardless of where the volume knob is. You have to double-tap the power button to get it to FM MODE where it plays hideous static. Double-tap again, and you finally get to AUX MODE. You have to do this every time you turn the speaker on.

Maybe if I keep it plugged in and on aux 24/7 so it's not yelling mode names out to the office it'll be workable, but I might be going back to my lovely ball speaker. Maybe I'll hide it behind the cute speaker, like a decoy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I got a cheap set of Bt ear buds years ago (Wish I think). Starting at 50% they would interrupt playback to announce, at full volume, that your battery was now below 50%, 25%, 10% and finally "low" every 20 seconds or so. Thing worked great above 50% but my god what a design decision.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Everett False posted:

At work I've been using a lovely little ball speaker I got free from a cigarette company like a decade ago to play lofi beats as background music in my cube. I wanted something cute that matched my desk, so I got l'il pink retro-style speaker with an aux option for my mp3 player.

Unfortunately, when you hold the button down to turn it on, it immediately announces BLUETOOTH MODE at maximum volume regardless of where the volume knob is. You have to double-tap the power button to get it to FM MODE where it plays hideous static. Double-tap again, and you finally get to AUX MODE. You have to do this every time you turn the speaker on.

Maybe if I keep it plugged in and on aux 24/7 so it's not yelling mode names out to the office it'll be workable, but I might be going back to my lovely ball speaker. Maybe I'll hide it behind the cute speaker, like a decoy.

I think a lot of those cheapo Chinese speakers use the same pos chip with the same very Chinese voice clip announcing BLOOTUF MOAUD.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Everett False posted:

Quick and dirty thing you can do is wire the speaker through a physical switch so you can avoid sound until you did all the clicking.
A better and more elegant fix is to install a potentiometer instead of whatever the dial is connected to, and never adjust the virtual volume level .

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I've always dreamed of someone making and selling a replacement bluetooth speaker control board, with reasonable and good sounds and perhaps some extra features. God knows there's enough cruddy speakers around with those annoying choices programmed in

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mac posted:

I've always dreamed of someone making and selling a replacement bluetooth speaker control board, with reasonable and good sounds and perhaps some extra features. God knows there's enough cruddy speakers around with those annoying choices programmed in
There are generic $1 BT modules you can shoehorn anywhere. I've used this one to add BT to my 2003 car for example, I think it only beeps at reasonable volume when a device is connected and otherwise nothing else.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002231624213.html

E:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 27, 2023

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Big Mac posted:

They exist and they're amazing. Search for Bluetooth amplifier boards. I got mine off Amazon for $13 and it rescued a pair of old home theater speakers. Mine is the zk502h. Has Bluetooth, aux, and USB input. USB input is wonky but the rest are great. Takes a wide range of voltage 5-24V with standard 5.5mm plug so it's easy to source a power supply that you probably already have. It even came with a 5.5mm adapter so you can wire into your car power supply.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

The really annoying part is that I don't even want bluetooth, or FM radio. I literally only plan to use it with an aux cord. :argh:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I got my $14 drone and It Works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Everett False posted:

The really annoying part is that I don't even want bluetooth, or FM radio. I literally only plan to use it with an aux cord. :argh:

Then you just need a little amplifier, there are millions of them too