Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

weekly font posted:

I walked out of Talk to Me enjoying it but the further I’ve gotten from it the less its stuck with me at all. Fairly forgettable but fun little flick. I’ve been so absentee on horror this year that it would still probably sneak into the back half of my top 10 on lack of volume alone

same. it was forgettable fun.

m3gan was kickass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Lazy_Liberal posted:

m3gan was kickass

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

My top 5 for this year, not in any ranked order, are M3GAN, When Evil Lurks, Evil Dead Rise, Beau is Afraid and Saw X.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Two episodes into Fall of the House of Usher and is that the goriest thing Flanagan's ever done? I was not at all expecting that, holy poo poo.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

I watched Talk to Me last night and was left pretty disappointed by it. I liked a lot of the ideas it presented, and I generally like nasty ghost who are deliberately loving people up, but I found every character to be so utterly unsympathetic and gullible that I couldn't buy into it. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind, but Mia, in particular, was just an unpleasant character to spend time with no matter what was happening.

I was disappointed as well. I liked the early part of the film. It did capture the teenager vibe very well with the dynamic of trying to fit in with the cool kids, peer pressure to do stupid risky things etc.

I realize that Mia is supposed to be a flawed character but I found her so unlikeable it got in the way of enjoying the film. I found it unforgivable that she gave the green light for the kid to participate in the hand ritual and never owned up responsibility for what happened to him.

I also found the last third or so of the film to be a muddled incoherent mess, right up until the very end which I thought was good.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What are the picks for the year, folks? I feel like I'm super behind on horror because I've just been digging in the crates.

Stuff I liked enough to mention that hasn't been said already (I think): Angry Black Girl and Her Monster, Wrath of Becky, Brooklyn 45, Cobweb, Dark Harvest, Evil Dead Rise, Huesera: The Bone Woman, New Religion, No One Will Save You, Old Gods, The Pope’s Exorcist, Renfield, Talk To Me, Tin & Tina, Totally Killer, Unwelcome, VHS85

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What are the picks for the year, folks? I feel like I'm super behind on horror because I've just been digging in the crates.
M3GAN and The Pope's Exorcist for me

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Megan was dog water, No One Will Save You was kinda forgettable, Talk to Me was the right kind of mean that I liked, Beau is Afraid probably runs away with it this year if it werent the official release year of Skinamarink which was still a hell of a theater experience. Evil Dead Rises was also a great top 5 contender, Hell House 4 also a surprise good one, Infinity Pool getting top 5 rec, Knock at the Cabin was very good, Malum was great, Scream 6 had a really solid first hour but then becomes another crappy scream movie, The Boogeyman sucked, Renfield was mid, The Outwaters was good, Popes Exorcist was great, VHS85 was a return to form for the entire series, Where Evil Lurks was some mid-rear end bullshit.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Zwabu posted:

I was disappointed as well. I liked the early part of the film. It did capture the teenager vibe very well with the dynamic of trying to fit in with the cool kids, peer pressure to do stupid risky things etc.

I realize that Mia is supposed to be a flawed character but I found her so unlikeable it got in the way of enjoying the film. I found it unforgivable that she gave the green light for the kid to participate in the hand ritual and never owned up responsibility for what happened to him.

This was my main sticking point for her too. And the artificial drama the film tried to inject into her relationship with her Dad further strained any sympathy I had for her. She was routinely gullible for no reason other than the plot demanded it. If the film had, at any point, made it seem plausible that the mum was real I might of had more sympathy.

Zwabu posted:

I also found the last third or so of the film to be a muddled incoherent mess, right up until the very end which I thought was good.

I think the last third was meant to be muddled because we were seeing Mia unravel, but the rest of the film was so underwhelming for me I couldn't tell if it was a stylistic choice or just bad storytelling.

The very end was great, yes.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Two episodes into Fall of the House of Usher and is that the goriest thing Flanagan's ever done? I was not at all expecting that, holy poo poo.

Yeah it's a strong starter

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
No One Will Save You, When Evil Lurks, Huesera The Bone Woman, M3GAN, Influencer, and Hell House 4 are my top this year

I really disliked Beau is Afraid obviously, Knock at the Cabin was kind of a wet fart, not too crazy at the arthouse horrors in Skinamarink and Outwaters, Evil Dead Rise and Talk to Me were just okay, same with Malum, Good Boy was too frustrating.

It wasn't too bad of a year in retrospect.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

When Evil Lurks was incredible. Must see imo. Very simple very well done horror film.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Masque of the Red Death is the series highpoint imo, but then I think I feel that way about the original Poe. The last sentence gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

And also the goriest thing Flanagan's ever done is his horror newbie letterbox recommendations that got posted a couple pages ago

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
my top horror of the year at this point, roughly in this order. I feel like I've seen most of the big ones, there are still some 2023 horror films on my watchlist but nothing I'd expect to bump these.

Skinamarink
Enys Men
When Evil Lurks
M3GAN
Talk to Me

(maybe Evil Dead Rise over Talk to Me)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Was Speak No Evil this year? I think it was so that'd be on my list.

M3gan
The Pope's Exorcist
Speak No Evil
Infinity Pool
Evil Dead Rise

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Nov 27, 2023

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
What I've got is in order:

They Cloned Tyrone
When Evil Lurks
No One Will Save You
Talk To Me
Totally Killer

When Evil Lurks, Talk To Me, and Totally Killer would be "pure" horror, while They Cloned Tyrone and No One Will Save You is more adjacent.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I disagree No One Will Save You is adjacent

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

top 11

Beau is Afraid
Skinamarink
Evil Dead Rises
Infinity Pool
Talk to Me
Hell House 4
Knock at the Cabin
Malum
The Outwaters
The Popes Exorcist
VHS85

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dorium posted:

top 11

Beau is Afraid
Skinamarink
Evil Dead Rises
Infinity Pool
Talk to Me
Hell House 4
Knock at the Cabin
Malum
The Outwaters
The Popes Exorcist
VHS85

even with like half of these not really being my thing at all, this feels like a really well rounded top 11, and it doesn't even include a couple of this year's heavy hitters like When Evil Lurks or Thanksgiving. 2023 seems like it was a pretty decent horror year.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I still need to see a bunch, but top of the list is Suitable Flesh which by all accounts is great. Top 12 here we come.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

sorting on Letterboxd for horror movies only in 2023 by average rating, looks like people liked Late Night with the Devil most so I’m excited to see that. why is myhouse.wad on here lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t like suitable flesh. It wasn’t horrible just felt a little undercooked and once again don’t like that gimble Lynch keeps using lol.

Needed more goop and gore

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

sorting on Letterboxd for horror movies only in 2023 by average rating, looks like people liked Late Night with the Devil most so I’m excited to see that. why is myhouse.wad on here lol

even though I excluded everything except features most of this poo poo is still YouTube video essays or festival films there’s no way I could see because they don’t have distribution but on the plus side I’m hearing about a bunch of cool poo poo I’ll probably love in a year, like Alice Maio Mackay’s Satranic Panic

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

History of the Occult and EDR are probably my picks, though I'm probably forgetting something

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Philthy posted:

What I've got is in order:

They Cloned Tyrone
When Evil Lurks
No One Will Save You
Talk To Me
Totally Killer

When Evil Lurks, Talk To Me, and Totally Killer would be "pure" horror, while They Cloned Tyrone and No One Will Save You is more adjacent.

They Cloned Tyrone is really good, not sure I'd count it as horror or even horror-adjacent though unless you're just including anything sci-fi under that umbrella.

anyone who hasn't seen it yet should check it out though, it flew under my radar a bit as a Netflix movie with a dumb name but it's a really excellent and funny satirical sci-fi/comedy

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
They Cloned Tyrone and No One Will Save You both had the psychological dread going on. They were almost the same story, in a way. I don't want to spoil much of either to make the argument tho.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

They Cloned Tyrone was the best straight to netflix job they've done since the company was founded (not counting anything that got a theatrical run).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Skinamarink > everything else

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

dorium posted:

They Cloned Tyrone was the best straight to netflix job they've done since the company was founded (not counting anything that got a theatrical run).

Yeah, kinda suspiciously so. I wonder if someone snuck it through or managed to get it greenlit as a favor or something.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

why is myhouse.wad on here lol

It's a playable creepypasta doom wad basically.

why people are putting it on letterboxd, idk, but i watched a youtube video showcasing myhouse and it was pretty cool

it's kinda like if skinamarink was good and had a super shotgun

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Skinamarink was lacking a super shotgun.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Infinity Pool
When Evil Lurks
Evil Dead Rise
VHS 85
Pope’s Exorcist

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
They had to stop writing super shotguns into horror films due to plot holes

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/screamboxtv/status/1729200637207044358?s=46

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

You have to change the stupid X to Twitter for it to embed properly. Thanks Elon

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I had to IMDB it and apparently this movie came out in 2011, which is better, I guess, because it looks like a Smosh video from 2006.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

They had to stop writing super shotguns into horror films due to plot holes

Why do you think so many films are set in the 80s now, before the invention of the super shotgun?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

honestly i think my two faves are both Argentine horror - When Evil Lurks and History of the Occult, although the latter might be a 2022 release...

the other honourable mentions to round out a top 5 would be Beau is Afraid, Saw X and Infinity Pool i think

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Nikumatic posted:

It's a playable creepypasta doom wad basically.

why people are putting it on letterboxd, idk, but i watched a youtube video showcasing myhouse and it was pretty cool

it's kinda like if skinamarink was good and had a super shotgun

It's more like a "Top 10 spooky liminal space photos" youtube video with a shotgun. Skinamarink is doing something different, and I respect how hard it commits to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

these nostalgia critic crossover movies are getting wild