Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Any advice I can give to my sister that's deciding between an iPhone 13 and 14? Camera quality is important. She'd rather spend less, of course.

If she's in the US, the 13 still has physical SIM slots which she might care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I’m pretty sure the 13 and 14 are pretty much the same no? The 15 is the one that’s a bit newer.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Skeezy posted:

I’m pretty sure the 13 and 14 are pretty much the same no? The 15 is the one that’s a bit newer.

The 14 is a 13 Pro SoC in a shittier dress, and the 13 Pro SoC iirc only has like one more GPU core than the regular 13 SoC did so it really doesn't make a difference. Go for the 13 since it'll be $100 cheaper than the 14 unless she's getting a carrier deal where the 14 will be free (and look if the 15 might have a similar or better promotion on it while she's at it).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
No 15 promos, afaict. The camera on the 15 is that much better? I hate that 128GB is still the default storage size on an $800 phone.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rinkles posted:

The camera on the 15 is that much better?

Video yes by a mile, if you are able to grade log footage.

Photo yes but by a smaller margin.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

been many years since i upgraded iphones (i’m on an 8!). what needs to be done to ensure i don’t lose any of my text message history and pics to n those chains?

i just turned on icloud for messages and have already been doing icloud backups but those don’t list messages in the data list.

basically gonna walk into the store with one phone and walk out with just the new one. i figure all i really need to double check backups of first are those texts and 2fa app codes?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

pmchem posted:

been many years since i upgraded iphones (i’m on an 8!). what needs to be done to ensure i don’t lose any of my text message history and pics to n those chains?

i just turned on icloud for messages and have already been doing icloud backups but those don’t list messages in the data list.

basically gonna walk into the store with one phone and walk out with just the new one. i figure all i really need to double check backups of first are those texts and 2fa app codes?

If you have iCloud for Messages on, they won't back up to iCloud backups. It *should* all move over without a hitch. (I've never had a hitch across every phone I've replaced since the feature was added.)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

anyone had problems with screen protectors on a 15 pro max?

i've tried two that don't quite adhere around the edges. they have alignment tools and everything. i don't see too many complaints about the edges in the reviews of them, and they're well recommended. i've applied my own screen protectors on other phones multiple times without any problems.

the screen seems to be gradually rounded at the edges...?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Yeah the front glass is very softly curved into the sides. Maybe try one that is expressly case friendly, that doesn’t go to the edge. I think Spigen’s are like that if you haven’t tried it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

Just curious which phone are you getting?

Also, with trade ins , a lot of times they send you home with a trade in box so you have time to just do the download at home and then send old trade in back. Mileage varies, but just fyi.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Hey so what's the current situation with MagSafe battery packs? I'm trying to see if I can accessorise my way out of feeling like I need to upgrade from my 13 mini. It's the perfect sized phone but the battery just doesn't make it all day.

Can anyone recommend any good third party ones? The official and discontinued Apple one is, well, priced like an official apple product.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

The Grumbles posted:

Hey so what's the current situation with MagSafe battery packs? I'm trying to see if I can accessorise my way out of feeling like I need to upgrade from my 13 mini. It's the perfect sized phone but the battery just doesn't make it all day.

Can anyone recommend any good third party ones? The official and discontinued Apple one is, well, priced like an official apple product.

I would stick with known brands like Belkin, Mophie, Anker. Make sure you get one that does the fast MagSafe charging too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

I have 2 of these and they’re great. I think it’s small enough to fit a Mini too.

https://www.otterbox.com/en-us/magsafe-wireless-power-bank-for-magsafe-and-5k-mah-white/78-80566.html

Anker is always a great choice too.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

The Grumbles posted:

I was in your boat recently and ended up getting the apple magsafe after watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ipPga7THPI&t=614s&pp=ygUhaXBob25lIDEzIG1pbmkgbWFnc2FmZSBwb3dlciBiYW5r

I’m sure apple’s magsafe power bank is still available in other stores!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Battery packs are a basic consumable and you can buy anything off Amazon with whatever nonsense name you want.

The only thing to potentially look out for is that some of them can be plugged in to act as higher wattage chargers too and that's usually limited to brand names.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Flying out of country today. German data-only eSIM loaded up. How to I ensure my Xfinity/US eSIM data plan isn’t used while im there?

In settings>messages>send & receive, id have everything in Receive unchecked except for my iCloud email, then for Send, id have only my iCloud email selected?

Then in Cellular Data>eSIM, id have my Data Roaming off for Xfinity/US, leave “Turn on this line” set to On as is? That latter setting is probably carrier specific.

I think I have everything? Already have my important contacts set up with WhatsApp for texting & phone calls.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Aphrodite posted:

Battery packs are a basic consumable and you can buy anything off Amazon with whatever nonsense name you want.

The only thing to potentially look out for is that some of them can be plugged in to act as higher wattage chargers too and that's usually limited to brand names.

I feel like this is bad advice for lithium batteries? Or do random ones not fail as much or as interestingly anymore.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The failure rate for lithium ion cells has generally gone down so you're probably not going to get a spicy pillow but if it does happen, the no name junk is going to be more likely.

The bigger concern is the supporting circuitry, that's where they really cut corners. They advertise some behemoth capacity battery and attach it to a controller that can't handle it and it fails early or overheats and catches fire.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

If you have iCloud for Messages on, they won't back up to iCloud backups. It *should* all move over without a hitch. (I've never had a hitch across every phone I've replaced since the feature was added.)

hmm ok not having messages backed up seems bad so i went back to disabled icloud for messages. but it sounds like everything should get to the new phone either way? do people use “quick start” for this, or…?

re: duck. looking at a 15 pro (still worried about heat!)

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
They are backed up, they're just not part of the iCloud backups your phone generates if you have iCloud for Messages turned on

Where would they pull them from if they aren't backed up somewhere?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, sorry if that was unclear. If you have iCloud for Messages turned on, they *are* backed up, they are just a *separate* backup from the iCloud backup that're doing.

But tbqh, just doing the "move to new phone" thing seems to work really well and I haven't really had to fuss with backups at all when getting a new phone.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

The other big benefit of doing messages in iCloud means that you aren’t backing them up per device anymore.

Rather than 5 gigs of messages per device in iCloud backups, it’s just 5 gigs in iCloud messages

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Also you can download them to your Mac when you buy a Mac for the first time in 5 years and it's not syncing your iMessages by default :v:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I would disagree with this. I ordered a bunch of 10,000 mAh portable batteries about a year ago and all the random Amazon ones had some kind of issue. Only the Anker one performed as advertised.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

I would disagree with this. I ordered a bunch of 10,000 mAh portable batteries about a year ago and all the random Amazon ones had some kind of issue. Only the Anker one performed as advertised.

Yeah not sure why anyone would gently caress around with off brand power poo poo. I’d rather not chance it thanks.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
A reminder that AmazonBasics poo poo have a history of lighting people’s homes on fire.

When you license the lowest costing products to put your name on them, you get that exact quality of product.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Soul Glo posted:

A reminder that AmazonBasics poo poo have a history of lighting people’s homes on fire.

When you license the lowest costing products to put your name on them, you get that exact quality of product.

Shrug, I try not to give too much thought to Law of Large Numbers kind of stuff like a relatively small number of products violently catching fire. CNN is bad, and was in 2020 also. AmazonBasics probably caught fire at the same rate as other manufacturers at the price point they were targeting, but they sold a lot of them. The kind of cost cutting is definitely where fire risk in design can happen for cables/devices at that price point, so not denying lower cost items can be a fire risk.

It is also entirely possible that Amazon is/was negligent in their design, but it's important to remember Amazon nor any company really, certifies or tests publicly against fire risk. Kind of a legal grey area to put non-reliable parts in devices that are prone to fraying and that kind of thing, but it's a big cost saver for the cheap items consumers crave.

Adam Savage had a kinda-cool video on a related topic from a month or so back if anyone's interested, it's a CT scan of cable internals to show solder points and board level components, and where things may fray or arc over time --
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD5aAd8Oy84

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

buglord posted:

Flying out of country today. German data-only eSIM loaded up. How to I ensure my Xfinity/US eSIM data plan isn’t used while im there?

In settings>messages>send & receive, id have everything in Receive unchecked except for my iCloud email, then for Send, id have only my iCloud email selected?

Then in Cellular Data>eSIM, id have my Data Roaming off for Xfinity/US, leave “Turn on this line” set to On as is? That latter setting is probably carrier specific.

I think I have everything? Already have my important contacts set up with WhatsApp for texting & phone calls.

You can turn off the US line entirely if you like.

But turning off international roaming in your carrier portal and leaving the line on is probably better.
You can even place and receive Wifi calls and SMS this way if your carrier supports it.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Duckman2008 posted:

Just curious which phone are you getting?

Also, with trade ins , a lot of times they send you home with a trade in box so you have time to just do the download at home and then send old trade in back. Mileage varies, but just fyi.
I got my trade-in box in the mail even though I selected store pickup for my new phone.

Rinkles posted:

Any advice I can give to my sister that's deciding between an iPhone 13 and 14? Camera quality is important. She'd rather spend less, of course.
I faced the same decision and I ended up saving and stretching for a 15 Pro. I hope to use it for 5+ years. For that length of time I thought it made sense to start with the best possible camera and other specs. My 2020 SE was already feeling creaky after just three years. I also don’t mind the Lightning port now while I still have some cables and accessories (Lightning AirPods), but I figured by then I’d rather be all USB-C.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

hmm ok not having messages backed up seems bad so i went back to disabled icloud for messages. but it sounds like everything should get to the new phone either way? do people use “quick start” for this, or…?

re: duck. looking at a 15 pro (still worried about heat!)

15 Pro is a solid choice. I don’t have one yet myself (probably upgrading before Christmas), but it sounds like the heat issues have been fixed.

Just make sure to upgrade before Christmas. Promos in late December and early January are usually not great.

Everything will transfer, you’ll just have to re log into stuff like your bank. And maybe if you have work apps you’ll have to re download those. But Apple does an impressively good job at auto transferring info.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kri kri posted:

Yeah not sure why anyone would gently caress around with off brand power poo poo. I’d rather not chance it thanks.

You can save like $3 buying a POWWARBOXKS 10000 MAH FOR IPHONE GALAXY ANDROID MACBOOK IPAD USB-C USB-A CHARGER instead of a known brand

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

You can save like $3 buying a POWWARBOXKS 10000 MAH FOR IPHONE GALAXY ANDROID MACBOOK IPAD USB-C USB-A CHARGER instead of a known brand

You would be amazed how many people are determined to save $2 for stuff like cables and cases for their $1000+ phone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

gloom posted:

I got my trade-in box in the mail even though I selected store pickup for my new phone.

I faced the same decision and I ended up saving and stretching for a 15 Pro. I hope to use it for 5+ years. For that length of time I thought it made sense to start with the best possible camera and other specs. My 2020 SE was already feeling creaky after just three years. I also don’t mind the Lightning port now while I still have some cables and accessories (Lightning AirPods), but I figured by then I’d rather be all USB-C.

She’s going with a 15 or pro too.

And yeah, my 2020 SE is feeling quite clunky. It’s still usable, but I’m honestly pretty disappointed with how it’s holding up.

Duckman2008 posted:

15 Pro is a solid choice. I don’t have one yet myself (probably upgrading before Christmas), but it sounds like the heat issues have been fixed.

Just make sure to upgrade before Christmas. Promos in late December and early January are usually not great.

Are there any promos for the 15 that don’t require a new line or carrier switch?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

gloom posted:

Serious post, I am always curious about people who plan to keep the phone for 5+ years.

If there is a financial reason, how does that compare to for example, buying ~2 new phones in that time, selling after using them for ~1 or 2 years?

I get not wanting to dick around with third party sales, but if the pure incentive is financial, it seems like you could spend almost as little money and have a drastically newer phone by not keeping one for 5 years.

I’m not sure of the pace of mobile chips in the next 5 years but I think it’s been a fairly substantial jump.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Inner Light posted:

Serious post, I am always curious about people who plan to keep the phone for 5+ years.

If there is a financial reason, how does that compare to for example, buying ~2 new phones in that time, selling after using them for ~1 or 2 years?

I get not wanting to dick around with third party sales, but if the pure incentive is financial, it seems like you could spend almost as little money and have a drastically newer phone by not keeping one for 5 years.

I’m not sure of the pace of mobile chips in the next 5 years but I think it’s been a fairly substantial jump.

There are lots of reasons, but they all really boil down to 'those people are normal and well adjusted and those of us who like the latest and greatest constantly are sick in the head':

It's an annoying hassle to sell your phone. Many people end up with breaks and cracks in their phones that make them not worth selling.

A lot of people are just happy with their phones and happy using them until they're unusable. Phones are getting better every year, but phones have been solved as a technology for like 5 years at least now.

For a lot of people, it feels bad and wasteful and decadent to buy a new incredibly expensive gadget full of rare earth metals every year or two.

People like their cases, and accessories, and general setup. As form factors change over generations, that stuff gets disrupted. Apple are particularly bad at making tiny changes that make cases not work between gens.

I get that contracts work in a specific way in the USA, but in a lot of other countries you sign up for a minimum 2 year network contract, where the cost of the phone is baked into your monthly payments. Once you're past that, you can just get a super cheap SIM-only contract, which will obviously be tons cheaper than getting a phone upgrade.

edit: I guess the big exception I know of in terms of 'people who like to upgrade their phones regularly but who are normal people and not Tech Denegerates' is parents who like to have the best cameras around to take pictures of their kids growing up.

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 29, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Inner Light posted:

You can’t answer that question without constructing an elaborate hypothetical scenario including investment return rates, inflation rates, “cost” of selling, etc.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

The Grumbles posted:

There are lots of reasons, but they all really boil down to 'those people are normal and well adjusted and those of us who like the latest and greatest constantly are sick in the head':

It's not even that for me, I'm just financially comfortable enough that the very convenient yearly upgrade program is not enough of a monthly billing increase that it is worth it to me

Like the iPhone 15 Pro Max starts at $49.99 a month. Add monthly AppleCare and that's what, $5 a month at worst? My monthly cost on the IUP is $58 and change. I think the three extra bucks a month for hassle-free yearly upgrading is totally worth it :shrug:

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Nov 29, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I think for a lot of users, they want to take advantage of nice trade-in credits that are dangled in front of your face by your cellular provider so you get locked into another 2-3 year cycle of getting the credit.

A friend of mine is upgrading from the iPhone X and he kinda wish he had just traded it in 2-3 years ago when he could have gotten a $500-$600 credit. With the way cellular services are prioritized, many Americans want those expensive prioritized cellular lines.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Inner Light posted:

I’m about to upgrade from an iPhone 8.

I’m a computer nerd who builds his own PC, day-to-day do stuff in a nerd field, and even did iOS app dev stuff for a while. But I just don’t need annual or even biennial phone upgrades. I don’t game on my phone or make influencer movies on it; my use cases are generally not overly demanding. I replaced the battery in my 8 once and that gave it like an extra couple years of life.

My reasons for the upgrade are USB-C to reduce wire types in our house and while traveling, 8gb of lpddr5 as a huge upgrade over the 8’s 2gb (apps and web are ever more memory hungry), support for iOS 17, and a bump in storage/wifi/5g standards. It’s just kinda… time? I’d never put a hard 5 year bound on things but phone tech rate of change is slowing down. I could afford to upgrade any given year but simply don’t choose to do so.

pmchem fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

That iPhone 8's camera has to look ancient by now - camera tech is one of those weird things where other people's photos get better as they upgrade, so your photos start to seemingly look worse and worse as time goes on. Night shots in particular look really bad.

Granted, there are lots of people who couldn't care less about cameras (my partner is one of them), but having a bad camera when you're trying to memorialize something is such an annoyance for me.