Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Because of the audio issue with their Showgirls release (which I had actually bought for a friend), Vinegar Syndrome sent me a replacement 4K disc that I ended up keeping because my friend doesn't even have a 4K player (though if she ever asks I'll gladly swap!).
The set they shipped originally had both a blu-ray and 4k disc, but there was something wrong with the 5.1 audio track on the UHD. The only difference between the disc they sent as a replacement and the original one is that track is fixed so if you’re using TV speakers it’s a perfectly serviceable piece of plastic.

Also you really owe it to yourself to watch You Don’t Nomi to understand why that movie has the reputation it does, and why it’s so beloved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Hell yeah Darkman. I have an older blu that’s pretty mediocre and will definitely upgrade that to UHD. Such a fun movie.

https://youtu.be/lbdeAhpIPhE?si=BtMbNr_-ap1fc6k2

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Oh yeah I’m definitely onboard for a Darkman 4K.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah that's a day one preorder.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yep. Considering exchange rates, a bunch of VS Blus being region-locked (Road House for example) and the volume of utter trash, I honestly can't see how a subscription is justified at that price.

Obviously enough people don't agree with me, but that's my 2c on the matter.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

edogawa rando posted:

...a bunch of VS Blus being region-locked (Road House for example) and the volume of utter trash...

interesting that they're allowed to sell out region coded discs but i mean i guess so is amazon - i never pay attention since it doesn't matter for me and out-region discs are all i can find sometimes so i just get them

the amount of trash however is the big deal killer since i'm not into slasher horror stuff anyway, so it's doubly uninteresting

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah I wouldn't recommend the sub to anyone not into the weird deep cuts they put out. Zero appeal to most people.

Side note one of my fav partner labels they have is Saturn's Core. Shot on video poo poo rules.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
I love lots of VS releases but the sub just doesn’t make sense for me, there are a lot of releases I’m not interested in and some months I just buy Partner Label stuff. I’d personally spring for an AGFA subscription though!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I was gonna say the main reason I don't sub is because for at least half the time I've been following Vinegar Syndrome (I forget if it's been 2 years or 3), I've been more psyched about/gotten more partner label releases than main

That's not necessarily because I don't vibe with or have a place in my heart for what the main's been putting out. It's just usually the partner label stuff is either more intriguing, or stuff I've already seen and liked/loved. This month alone had two of the latter (I Blame Society and The Runner)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The partner label setup is super cool. I get a few almost every month

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 26, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The membership also gets you priority in shipping. Which is pretty tempting after a sale when I’m waiting 6 weeks for my poo poo to arrive, like a schmuck.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

nobody else excited for Deep Inside Annie Sprinkle huh? just me? (shuffles out of the room with trousers around ankles)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Brexit the Frog posted:

nobody else excited for Deep Inside Annie Sprinkle huh? just me? (shuffles out of the room with trousers around ankles)

I’m waiting to see if The Cult Films of Marilyn Jess comes back in stock or not.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Brexit the Frog posted:

I bought it.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Amazon continues to go crazy on Cyber Monday. I'm tempted to get GoT 4K at $95.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I grabbed red dawn, labyrinth, and T2 from Amazon this weekend. Debating on highlander and a few others maybe for today.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

never seen The Maltese Falcon so I ordered that for $12.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Helllllllllllll yea

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1729138050934899039

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Well I made out like a bandit (but so did my bank account) with the HMV Black Friday weekend sale - 20% off plus through a sneaky method an extra 20% off that discounted price with a refer a friend code - pro-tip you can recommend yourself if your email provider ignores periods in email addresses. So it has meant I went and bought a load of Criterion Collection releases for around £11 each, including Certain Women, which I've been desperate to watch since seeing Lily Gladstone in KotFM, and lots of Wes Anderson films as the packaging on those is usually pretty nice.

I did miss out on Grand Budapest Hotel and the Scorsese Shorts release due to their website being shite, but I suppose it did save me some money.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

It’s real

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

dorium posted:

It’s real

Tomorrow for me, hopefully. I bought it because I want more Mann, and even if it’s kinda meh, what a journey for that Directors Cut.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Don't know yet if my shopping is quite done, for others or for myself, but at the very least the weekend haul of orders seems done. Final score:

Criterion: The Others and Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
Vinegar Syndrome: The Lost Picture Show, The Black Room, Fatal Games, The Runner and eXistenZ
Indicator: The Micro-Budget Cinema of Michael J Murphy

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

dorium posted:

never seen The Maltese Falcon so I ordered that for $12.

The movie goes so hard and makes no loving sense. It's incredible

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

i uh. what

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

What does this VS special coupon work on? I’ve tried like 10 different titles but can’t find one that it works on.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Saw that Shout Factory has a Masaaki Yuasa film box set for preorder so I got that for a friend for Christmas. She loves Kaiba, one of the series he worked on, and I at least can attest to the quality of Night Is Short Walk On Girl which is a favorite of mine. It looks like a really great collection with some fantastic extras. I'm jealous and I'm the one buying it for her!

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

dorium posted:

What does this VS special coupon work on? I’ve tried like 10 different titles but can’t find one that it works on.

Is that the one that says it only works on "non-disc" items?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

TheMopeSquad posted:

Is that the one that says it only works on "non-disc" items?

Nah it’s the code Magnet5.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
Well poo poo, VS just extended the sale for 12 hours for subscribers only in a post-sale freakout.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

VoodooXT posted:

Well poo poo, VS just extended the sale for 12 hours for subscribers only in a post-sale freakout.
It's available for anyone who added to an existing order during the sale. VS is absolutely diabolical.

(I absolutely went back and threw down for a copy of Night Screams, that trailer is a hoot)

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Nov 28, 2023

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Saw that Shout Factory has a Masaaki Yuasa film box set for preorder so I got that for a friend for Christmas. She loves Kaiba, one of the series he worked on, and I at least can attest to the quality of Night Is Short Walk On Girl which is a favorite of mine. It looks like a really great collection with some fantastic extras. I'm jealous and I'm the one buying it for her!

Mind Game is truly amazing.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I went back for Angel, Sick of Myself (off the strength of Dream Scenario which is a great movie) and Guest House Paradiso:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1729609639577141269?s=46

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Oh hell yes, even better than I expected. My partner's gonna love this. Did previous releases have ways to randomize what ending you get? Is that a realistic hope?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Oh hell yes, even better than I expected. My partner's gonna love this. Did previous releases have ways to randomize what ending you get? Is that a realistic hope?

The Bluray gave you an option to randomize the ending.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

All the endings played in sequence is the best way to do it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I do hope they have the TV/video omnibus ending as well.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/discussingfilm/status/1729622554736722367?s=46

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
U might say their inventory got nuked

Adbot