Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

kid buu is chaotic evil which allows the lawful good spirit bomb to destroy him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Caros posted:

So really what I'm saying is that the spirit bomb lowered the life expectancy of the universe by years, clearly.

I mean, living in DBZ world your life expectancy is drastically lowered at all times given how often some new motherfuckers decide to go take over the planet and/or kill everyone. I think the longest gap between "threats to the earth" was the timeskip between Cell and Buu and that was only like 6 years or something right?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Caros posted:

The spirit bomb is made specifically from genki (it is the 'genki dama') rather than just ki more broadly.

Genki is the positive, life giving aspects of ki. It is why Gohan is able to bounce the first bomb back into Vegeta, since it specifically attacks negative energies, and it is why the bomb used against freeza was so effective despite the fact that no one there could have donated enough to matter.

I'm fairly certain there is a limit to the amount of genki any individual person or thing can provide. Otherwise Gohan raising his hands would do more than everyone else in the universe combine, which was sort of counter to the point.

So really what I'm saying is that the spirit bomb lowered the life expectancy of the universe by years, clearly.

The universe 7 spirit bomb was only from like ten people and that was strong enough to impress the GoDs and nearly kill Goku

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
that was in the anime, which isn't canon. Unless it happened in the manga too, which I didn't read

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

No Dignity posted:

The universe 7 spirit bomb was only from like ten people and that was strong enough to impress the GoDs and nearly kill Goku

it was a work

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

DBZ, Pokemon. Basically the exact same thing.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

frieza is a tiny little bitch

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

That's why he went to Earth in the Broly movie.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
bad guys from outer space

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You know what they call a quarter-pounder with cheese on Namek?

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

No Dignity posted:

The universe 7 spirit bomb was only from like ten people and that was strong enough to impress the GoDs
It's a celestial technique, gods like sniffing their own farts

No Dignity posted:

and nearly kill Goku
Goku was evil at the time

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Goku just towering Frieza is one my favorite things about the series lol

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
I always did love it in contrast to Dragon Ball, where everyone was taller than Goku until Piccolo Jr.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That's what I liked about Kid Buu as well, just a tiny chewing gum gremlin vs all of the hair SSJ3 Goku

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Raditz is too big.

A man with those pythons should not be a D-tier jobber.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

In his one fight he was pretty much stronger than the hero and the rival combined. Not really a jobber performance.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I had the most terrifying moment of thinking this was a meme way to announce she had passed.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I had the most terrifying moment of thinking this was a meme way to announce she had passed.

Well now it definitely will be

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Watching the anime in Japanese with subs, when Goku goes to hell and meets the blue/red ogres, they end every sentence with “oni.”

I looked up that that means “ogre” and now I’m even more confused.

So what does “oni” mean in a kind of way similar to something we have in English? I was sort of auto-translating it as “bro” but that doesn’t contextually fit every time.

Edit: Oh, if they are ogres saying “ogre,” it’s gotta be like a man saying “man,” right, man?

If that’s the case, were Japanese power lifters/gym rats known for ending their sentences with “man/otoko” back in the ‘80s, like how we think surfers/skaters say “dude” all the time in English? I’m just trying to wrap my head around the use of oni here.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 28, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It's because they're oni

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

In his one fight he was pretty much stronger than the hero and the rival combined. Not really a jobber performance.

I guess that's true, it's more that he's not respected by the power curve.

I don't care what Vegeta and Nappa say, Raditz should be able to pop a saibaman's head between his thighs without any difficulty!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Killing Raditz also required Goku's death, which is more than every other villain until Cell can boast.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

XYZAB posted:

Watching the anime in Japanese with subs, when Goku goes to hell and meets the blue/red ogres, they end every sentence with “oni.”

I looked up that that means “ogre” and now I’m even more confused.

So what does “oni” mean in a kind of way similar to something we have in English? I was sort of auto-translating it as “bro” but that doesn’t contextually fit every time.

Edit: Oh, if they are ogres saying “ogre,” it’s gotta be like a man saying “man,” right, man?

If that’s the case, were Japanese power lifters/gym rats known for ending their sentences with “man/otoko” back in the ‘80s, like how we think surfers/skaters say “dude” all the time in English? I’m just trying to wrap my head around the use of oni here.

Japanese as a language and culture in general lends itself way more to weird vocal tics like that. Lots of shounen characters will end their sentences with a phrase or word to give off a specific "vibe".

You know how Animal Crossing characters will end sentences with their little catchphrases for no adequately explained reason? It's like that.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
One example people probably know is Naruto where the main character ended most of his sentences with dattebayo which was infamously translated as "believe it" before they just gave up.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
i think the gayest moment in DBS is when Goku and Frieza meet up, and they exchange greetings by fisting eachother once in the gut really hard.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Kurui Reiten posted:

Japanese as a language and culture in general lends itself way more to weird vocal tics like that. Lots of shounen characters will end their sentences with a phrase or word to give off a specific "vibe".

You know how Animal Crossing characters will end sentences with their little catchphrases for no adequately explained reason? It's like that.

Which came full circle in FFX with everyone saying "Ya know?" just to pad out the VA's line lengths.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Kenshin's "that it is"

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

GateOfD posted:

Kenshin's "that it is"

Chichiri in Fushigi Yuugi had the "no da" thing.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

GateOfD posted:

i think the gayest moment in DBS is when Goku and Frieza meet up, and they exchange greetings by fisting eachother once in the gut really hard.

The best part is the zoom in to Baba during that, where she is very obviously done with their poo poo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

kdrudy posted:

Chichiri in Fushigi Yuugi had the "no da" thing.

Desu

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Awesomesaurus posted:

The best part is the zoom in to Baba during that, where she is very obviously done with their poo poo.

"Oh great, another of these fuckers"

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

GateOfD posted:

I dunno, I think it's when Zamasu and Goku Black were chilling in their little lovers' cottage up in the mountains as they casually discuss eradicating those filthy NINGEN.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

amigolupus posted:

I dunno, I think it's when Zamasu and Goku Black were chilling in their little lovers' cottage up in the mountains as they casually discuss eradicating those filthy NINGEN.

There was also the Evil Hug from the same arc

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So I was looking up voice actors in one of my daughter's current obsessions and they worked on something called 'Dragon Ball R&R' about Raditz being good and settling down next to Goku to be neighbors? Apparently it had an 8 episode run (probably on YouTube or something) and I've literally never heard of it. Anybody know what it was?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

New Leaf posted:

So I was looking up voice actors in one of my daughter's current obsessions and they worked on something called 'Dragon Ball R&R' about Raditz being good and settling down next to Goku to be neighbors? Apparently it had an 8 episode run (probably on YouTube or something) and I've literally never heard of it. Anybody know what it was?

DBZA's MasakoX's Whatif thing, I've not watched it tho

e: Looks mostly scrubbed from youtube, can only find bad reuploads or reacts.

Kild fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 28, 2023

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

its not very good

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Kurui Reiten posted:

I've never heard of this in my life, dood hee-ho?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

the japanese language is as beautiful as it is confusing