Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah you should be fine

The game has DLSS support now as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks boss. Ill probably pick it up.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!
I've noticed that my ship's shield health has changed and gone down permanently at some point.

I have shield systems (or whatever it is called) Level 4, and Omari Hassan in my crew. So my shield health should be 1600 + 60%(skill) + 30% (Omari Hassan) , so either 3328 or 3040 depending on how this is actually calculated.

I did have 3000+ at some point and now it's permanently stuck at 1600. Is there some proper way to unfuck this yet?

I've read about various methods, and every time somebody is saying that it doesn't work in replies and to try some other method. I can't figure out if there is a proper method yet. And some of those fixes, such as setting the correct value through the console, don't appeal to me as I don't understand what the correct value actually is, and I'm unsure whether this actually fixes the value or if it's just cosmetic.

The various skill fix mods definitely don't fix the shield value.

Anybody here got an idea?

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 26, 2023

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Haven't encountered that myself. Not knowing any steps you've tried yourself, have you taken him off your crew and switched ships or at least shield modules to see if that resets your own skill modifier? Rebuilding the calculation from the ground up is about the only thing I can think of doing on the player end

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

Zwingley posted:

Haven't encountered that myself. Not knowing any steps you've tried yourself, have you taken him off your crew and switched ships or at least shield modules to see if that resets your own skill modifier? Rebuilding the calculation from the ground up is about the only thing I can think of doing on the player end
Yes, I've taken him off the crew, added him back, removed the shield, added it back, switched ships, switched shields. Basically anything you could imagine that does not involve using the console to set it manually to whatever value.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf

Lollerich posted:

Yes, I've taken him off the crew, added him back, removed the shield, added it back, switched ships, switched shields. Basically anything you could imagine that does not involve using the console to set it manually to whatever value.

oof. I did have a somewhat similar weird issue where the game stopped registering any of my skills--the one that clued me into it being weightlifting--and the only thing I could do was revert to a save where they were working. I think that was a consequence of doing stuff with a stolen-and-registered ship, as opposed to a bought or given one, but I haven't reproduced the bug at all.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Lollerich posted:

Anybody here got an idea?

If it's a stolen ship you're using, maybe the shields reverted to their default NPC value? In which case you're better off using a properly owned ship to avoid all the jank associated with stolen ships.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

Hair Elf
My favorite stolen ship thing was definitely fast traveling from a planet surface to somewhere else with it and loading into a dogfight in the Maheo system with a grav jump pending

The grav jump ended in the exact same spot, which had nothing to do with where I wanted to go or was previously

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/5991 Need I say anything?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Finally playing through this and uh, lol.

UC Vanguard questline ending spoilers Why in the hell would anyone trust these UC chucklefucks with a microbe? Everyone mad I brought back the mega fauna instead.

Ship builder is the real time eater though.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

It's kinda weird to me that if you leave the unity and return to your universe all the constellation assholes who were telling you not to trust the starborn are like "why did you come back? Promise me you'll go through it one day"

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
they were glad to be rid of the psychopathic kleptomaniac, then you return and they are all "shiiiiit...."

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

Fanatic posted:

If it's a stolen ship you're using, maybe the shields reverted to their default NPC value? In which case you're better off using a properly owned ship to avoid all the jank associated with stolen ships.
Nope, I was aware of the (many) issues with stolen ships, so on this NG+++ I bought a ship and rebuilt and modified it from scratch.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

I may perhaps have fixed it, unless it shits itself again.

While in space, selecting any part of the ship in the console until it shows GBFM "whatever"

getav ShieldMaxHealthMult -> showed 0.1, my shield had actually dropped to 160, that was with level 4 in shield systems and Omari in the crew...

I then used modav ShieldMaxHealthMult 1.8 to set it to a total of 1.9. Which gives 3040 shield.

I don't know if that is what it is actually supposed to be, nor do I know what would happen if I ever remove him from my crew. I also don't know if this just displays the shield value as 3040 and it's not actually set as that value.

However, the low value I had before was definitely applied, every space combat was a nightmare, basically.

Edit: gently caress this cancer, after landing on a planet for a mission this is what it shows:

And ShieldMaxHealthMult has dropped to 1.10

I give up.

Lollerich fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 27, 2023

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Eminent Domain posted:

Finally playing through this and uh, lol.

UC Vanguard questline ending spoilers Why in the hell would anyone trust these UC chucklefucks with a microbe? Everyone mad I brought back the mega fauna instead.

Ship builder is the real time eater though.

Your whole crew makes fun of you for picking the space dinosaurs, but then it turns out to be right in the retrospective at the end

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Inspector Hound posted:

Your whole crew makes fun of you for picking the space dinosaurs, but then it turns out to be right in the retrospective at the end
What does it say at the end if you pick the microbe

I went with the dinosaur aliens so I have no idea

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s also the correct choice. Makes no difference except for flavor text.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I feel like it must be a bug, that your entire crew is like “choose whatever, you’re the smartest person in the universe so it will be the correct choice”, but then if you choose the dinosaurs every single one of them is like wtf bro

Given the real-world context of what’s happened recently with microbes, I can only assume that dialogue etc was written in 2019 and nobody at Bethesda thought to go back and change it :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It doesn't help that if you're anywhere past early-game when you do that questline, that you can solo the terrormorphs that everyone else apparently treats as unkillable murdermachines.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Unconcerningmorph just doesn’t have the same ring to it

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
One of the first procgen quests (the minor ones you can get from vendors selling you "info" on gathering nodes etc.) sent me to some nearby world and when I left the cave containing the quest objective, I was attacked by Va'ruun and a terrormorph so when the UC questline tried to make them a very special threat, that didn't really work :v:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

webmeister posted:

I feel like it must be a bug, that your entire crew is like “choose whatever, you’re the smartest person in the universe so it will be the correct choice”, but then if you choose the dinosaurs every single one of them is like wtf bro

Given the real-world context of what’s happened recently with microbes, I can only assume that dialogue etc was written in 2019 and nobody at Bethesda thought to go back and change it :v:
Preliminary look at quest scripting is that Sam and Andreja were originally supposed to accept the dinosaur strategy by default and were only supposed to be against it if you convinced them the microbe strategy was better but suddenly turned around and did the dinosaur thing.

What it ended up as seemed very "right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing".

I still think this is a much, much better game than TOTK.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
One thing I wonder about: did I miss something, or did they just not do much with the Va'ruun?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Preliminary look at quest scripting is that Sam and Andreja were originally supposed to accept the dinosaur strategy by default and were only supposed to be against it if you convinced them the microbe strategy was better but suddenly turned around and did the dinosaur thing.

What it ended up as seemed very "right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing".

I still think this is a much, much better game than TOTK.

Whoever was writing the scripting probably made a mistake somewhere and nobody wants to dig through to figure out where.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

OddObserver posted:

One thing I wonder about : did I miss something, or did they just not do much with the Va'ruun?

Nope they don't really do anything with them

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

OddObserver posted:

One thing I wonder about : did I miss something, or did they just not do much with the Va'ruun?

Check back in 4-6 months and be ready to pay 2x :10bux: for the Va'ruun DLC.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Don't worry Stratfield captains! The first DLC will be dropping right after the release of Elder Scrolls 6

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

OddObserver posted:

You go into their embassy for a mission during the UC faction quest, and of course there's Andreja, but otherwise no they don't do poo poo

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Karma Comedian posted:

It's kinda weird to me that if you leave the unity and return to your universe all the constellation assholes who were telling you not to trust the starborn are like "why did you come back? Promise me you'll go through it one day"

because they are explorers and its the next stage of exploring you dumbass.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

FlamingLiberal posted:

you spread space covid.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

anyone seen this:

https://x.com/JuiceHead33/status/1729289164334469195?s=20

Bethesda responding to steam reviews and it is not a good look lol

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm kinda enjoying them repeatable blasting away at their own feet. :toot:

(I'm sure as hell not clicking links to the xcrement site however)

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Have they been this defensive in the past, e.g. with Fallout 76?

I don't remember them really giving an f about players complaining bwfore.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DLSS patch took the game from unplayable to tolerable

why uh can't the benches access my resources from the storage container in the lodge, and why do I have to manually carry my resources from ship storage to the lodge container? I know I can "land" right in front of the lodge but come on

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Sandepande posted:

Have they been this defensive in the past, e.g. with Fallout 76?

I don't remember them really giving an f about players complaining bwfore.

Well Fallout 76 was kind of a more fringe project, a satellite Bethesda studio game. I recall stories coming out about people working on it saying they felt it wasn't being given the resources other projects would have done but that kinda makes sense because it was never positioned as being "the big new Bethesda game" even at the time.

Whereas Starfield is by the big main studio and is probably gonna be the only game they put out for the next few years (I typed out half a decade and deleted it but I think that isn't particularly far fetched). Then it has all the pressures of the Xbox/Microsoft requirements to have a big hit and showing that the purchase was worthwhile weighing down on it as well. I think it's fair to say this seems to have not landed with the exultant success they're used to seeing and so they or MS are indulging in some counterproductive practices.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I "solved" this by just increasing my ship cargo so I could craft from the workshop.

The secondary solution was not looting materials but cheating them in whenever I felt like crafting. Is there no "lighter mats" mod yet?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There is a mod that lets benches (and you) access the lodge stash that someone here linked to before, what was it called? Universal Storage or something. Of course it's a bit of a balance change compared to just linking...

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

thebardyspoon posted:

Well Fallout 76 was kind of a more fringe project, a satellite Bethesda studio game. I recall stories coming out about people working on it saying they felt it wasn't being given the resources other projects would have done but that kinda makes sense because it was never positioned as being "the big new Bethesda game" even at the time.

Whereas Starfield is by the big main studio and is probably gonna be the only game they put out for the next few years (I typed out half a decade and deleted it but I think that isn't particularly far fetched). Then it has all the pressures of the Xbox/Microsoft requirements to have a big hit and showing that the purchase was worthwhile weighing down on it as well. I think it's fair to say this seems to have not landed with the exultant success they're used to seeing and so they or MS are indulging in some counterproductive practices.

Seems reasonable.

MS hasn't been lucky with their first parties for a while, have they?

And while Bethesda has not been very good, or willing (same thing, almost), to develop their gameplay systems very much, it hasn't really bothered me until Starfield. It's nice to play, but it's got way too many things left unfinished-like.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

OddObserver posted:

There is a mod that lets benches (and you) access the lodge stash that someone here linked to before, what was it called? Universal Storage or something. Of course it's a bit of a balance change compared to just linking...

I'm referring to the storage container that is literally sitting on top of the research station in the lodge, I would have thought they would be linked. Don't really want to walk up to my room to dump my resources either, also it just doesn't really make sense to do that for ~immersion~

Skyrim has all the work benches in your house linked to storage...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

thebardyspoon posted:

Well Fallout 76 was kind of a more fringe project, a satellite Bethesda studio game...
...Whereas Starfield is by the big main studio

Starfield and Fallout 76 were made by the exact same team. This is not an industry secret, look at the credits for yourself. The Austin studio assisted with the multiplayer development of 76 but the design was done by "Big Main Bethesda", the same as all their titles.