Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Southern Cassowary posted:

are the steam versions of the zero escape trilogy good

been meaning to play them forever and just haven't gotten around to it and they're on sale

They're all fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just say AI 1 or 2

Not to be confused with AAI 1 or 2

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Southern Cassowary posted:

are the steam versions of the zero escape trilogy good

been meaning to play them forever and just haven't gotten around to it and they're on sale

I haven't played them but I've heard no complaints about those versions. I think that version of 999 actually has a loving scene flowchart so you don't have to replay the whole game twice if you accidentally get the main ending route first like I did on the DS version

Also Somnium Files 1 is killer

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I liked Nirvana well enough but its big twist is worse than ZTD's because at least ZTD's is loving hilarious. Nirvana's is literally meaningless.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the pc version of 999 has some conveniences but it's also not really possible to get any form of presentation that's all that close to the original ds version. not just because of only having one screen but also because it has two different modes of presentation and iirc neither of them exactly line up with the ds version's script, they both have weird differences

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also the addition of voice acting ends up loving up a twist that doesn't work in English iirc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
uchikoshi is the kind of writer who's great when he focuses on writing characters and interesting relationships and arcs but sometimes it feels like he gets so caught up in the epic plot twist race that he forgets to write much of a story to twist in the first place. i never even got to ztd because, i always just thought vlr was kind of lame anyway, because nobody in vlr really has anything coherent or interesting going on and they all just sort of act in arbitrary and annoying ways. with ai i really liked its cast and then uh, yeah nirvana initiative just handled all of them really weirdly and stuffing both ryuki and mizuki in as duel protagonists just kind of made me annoyed when i wanted the mizuki game lol

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

the worst thing about nirvanai is how it makes Mizuki the protagonist but then shoves the thing that actually made her the best part of the first game (her relationship with date) entirely off to the side and kinda just turns her into funny snarky lead with a new bad convoluted backstory. but the guy with the minecraft head made me cry so it's a good game still

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

square head man is my sleep paralysis demon

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
999 and AI 1 are clearly his best games imo, and he's far better when he does twists that at least result in a comprehensible game than the ones which are ridiculous seemingly for the sake of being ridiculous

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What I'll say about the twist of NI is that it doesn't really "work," it follows absolutely none of the "rules" of a good twist, as meaningless as those are. Especially in that it's purely a ruse on the audience, with it meaning nothing to the characters because they were never in confusion about any of it (except maybe Ryuki I guess). In that sense, it's really egregious how much it relies purely on withholding information from the player that they logically should have had. 13 Sentinels does a lot of that withholding too, but due to the nature of its story presentation I feel it goes down a lot more smoothly there.

My appreciation for the twist in NI is legitimately probably out of a sense of fascination with the attempt more than anything else. Uchikoshi, often to his own detriment, seems to have a deep interest in performing the magic trick of blindsiding the audience, of making them reappraise the entire narrative through a new lens. NI's twist, strictly speaking, isn't very good. It doesn't really create new meaning or resonance. It's just there to hoodwink the audience and it's kind of pointless beyond obfuscating some of the smaller twists, honestly.
It's cheating, really, but I'm still impressed by the effort. It's candy, basically. It's fun and nothing else.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That said I understand the disappointment of getting that after Somnium 1's conceit, which is comparatively rock loving solid

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also NI's ending dance isn't as good

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

it is inexplicably a dollar and change cheaper to buy the zero escape trilogy and ai the somnium files separately on steam than it is to get them together in the team zero escape bundle

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I thought the somniums themselves were also way better in the first game. They were pretty cryptic / moon logic-y but they were also actually fun

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i just liked ai's cast a lot and it felt awkward how immediately nirvana ends up in this weird space between basically being about new characters but also kind of being about the characters from the previous game, except, kind of not really because they aren't written like they're continuing on from the previous game

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Meowywitch posted:

I thought the somniums themselves were also way better in the first game. They were pretty cryptic / moon logic-y but they were also actually fun

I'm gonna disagree with that, outside of a couple of bad ones in NI I think they keep the moon logic while still having solid enough "rules" that you can actually interpret them beyond trial-and-error, which was pretty much every somnium in the first game

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

while nirvana wasnt as good, it did have less iris and ota. ryuki was all right, should have gotten a better game. ah well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If AI 1 was an A then I give AI 2 a B or B- so I still had a pretty good time and also probably makes it the best sequel Uchikoshi has done.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hated the time limits because the first thing you want to do in every somnium is try the intentionally terrible options and that dissuades you from doing that

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

But then NI had the cooking one (which is funny the first time, but has actual no deviations), and the one where you have to constantly hide like in Amnesia or get a full on game overm

Idk man I just didn't gel with it. I also thought five collectables for every som was too many :)

But I do like both games

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

999 is still my fav i think. didnt vibe with virtues last reward at all

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Unlocking all the routes in VLR was cool but the payoff is just some gigantic infodump compared to how hype the climax of 999 was

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Dongicus posted:

while nirvana wasnt as good, it did have less iris and ota. ryuki was all right, should have gotten a better game. ah well.

i like iris

ota, has a route that mostly makes up for him existing

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I like Kizzy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

The Colonel posted:

i like iris

ota, has a route that mostly makes up for him existing

is it the stuff about his mum? its been so long iv forgotten

lol

loved clicking on all the random poo poo in Boss's office

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there's a ton of really funny running jokes about clicking on random poo poo, i loved the increasingly obscure bugs which Aiba spots on the tree at the studio waiting room

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waffleman_ posted:

Also NI's ending dance isn't as good

Gets bonus points for not forcing you to listen to the English dub version even if you've played the whole game in Japanese like the first game.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I really liked Somnium files except are the parts where it tried to be a puzzle game. If it could have Ben less of a game it'd be perfect.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

My names not Ben

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

got my Mario Odyssey in since it was one of the games I picked up on Black Friday.
surprised its been 6-7 years since it released already.
never played it

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
my favorite anime game? that's right, fortnite

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The power went out at work, fun!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
A-set you bet

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

25cm of snow since midnight last night. Still another 10-20cm on the way by midnight tonight.

Nothing but sirens all day and power outages from people driving too fast and crashing into everything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Isn't that just Barrie on a normal day.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
The first game's fight scenes were silly enough, but nirvanA Initiative made me think that they could make one of those musou games out of the series. Would probably be weird to stretch the story over one of those types of games, but there are enough characters that fight and generic hordes of baddies in AI:NI to support it, I feel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I knew what I was signing up for, but even at a discount, paying for a subscription and still getting ads feels like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arc Hammer posted:

Isn't that just Barrie on a normal day.

Harsh, but fair.