Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I chucked away the original twisty bend thing. I dunno if its fundamentally flawed or if I broke it. But I've bought another one of the new one.

and it works. pretty much. Theres a slight drip on it when pressurizing it with water but much better. Repeating the air tightness test it is rock solid for the 5 minutes so will pass any building control test. loving. finally.

gravel it back up and fill back in the mud

and never speak of it ever again.

Time left I think to paint the fire protection stuff on the short end wall. Its only 3 coats down from 5 I at one point expected but still takes time to dry in between each coat. Dunno why it all needs doing in one day, like dunno how the paint knows what day it is anyway.

looks pretty gunky.

Lets see how it dries. I don't really care as noone will ever see it and its all just box ticking nonsense anyway. Theres never been any instances in the UK of cutting corners on cladding fire protection leading to fire risk issues so I'm pretty relaxed about it all.

then time for tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
british_cuisine.jpg

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Your tea looks pretty full of food OP

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Failed Imagineer posted:

Pipes fall apart, the centre cannot hose

the pipes fall apart
now the center cannot hose
god hates njan's house

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Nov 25, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Binged this whole thread over the past three days, gently caress what an incredible ride. Looking back at the initial install of the C3P0 arm you didn't trust it then, almost felt like foreshadowing this latest round of nonsense. Great job all around.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Binged this whole thread over the past three days, gently caress what an incredible ride. Looking back at the initial install of the C3P0 arm you didn't trust it then, almost felt like foreshadowing this latest round of nonsense. Great job all around.

Lol, its still lol when someone new comes in and goes through the last however many years of my life.... and... well here I still am. oh dear

Like I cannot imagine being back at the start.

But yeah I guess I'm pleased to remember that I knew that joint was dogshit when I put it in.

Lets hope its fine finally now.

Cos I've stuck a big concrete slab on top to sit the heatpump on.

Is this far enough from the fence to meet the manufacturers requirements?

No.

I'm sure its fine. Did I say my other plan? Roald dahl style drill a hole a day in the neighbour's fence until there is no fence but they never noticed it happening.

Waiting for that to set but realised I don't have all the other stuff I need to get the heating online. Bought a 200l buffer tank from italy. Could be weeks. ok. great.

Back inside trying to get the bathrooms ready to tank and tile as I guess I could do that now

Realised I hadnt been in the loft for ages when I went up there to turn the toilet on. so took a picture of the gutters from above

Right also. Planning wise. I now have octopus booked in to install my 3 phase smart meter on 11 december. We shall see. Oh and I've ordered my fibre internet connection. We shall see how that progresses. Seeing as it will require bt to dig up the pavement past the pub carpark again.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
I am sure this won't ever come to bite you in the rear end later.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Thread: I went up there to turn the toilet on

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Cos I've stuck a big concrete slab on top to sit the heatpump on.

Why in the world would you do this?

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

BonerGhost posted:

It's been broken and fixed therefore it can't break again

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What kind of heat pump is this? The one I got for my garage is mounted on the wall but it just heats the air directly. My parents have a "frånluftsvärmepump" which means something like exhaust air heat pump and that one's big enough to need legs and cement to stand on. It also heats water for hydronic heating instead of forced air. Is that what you're getting?

It uses vented indoor air instead of ambient outside air to do it's fancy stuff so it works better since it has warmer air to work with.

Mousus
Apr 9, 2009
As someone who designs mechanical building services for a living I would definitely recommend rotating your heat pump 90 degrees and making your side access for maintenance unpleasantly tight rather than pointing the airflow at a fence with a wall behind it (so long as it still physically fits rotated). As you currently have it pointed it is going to short circuit air and constantly freeze in winter, you'll end up swearing at the bloody heat pump that doesn't work and having to constantly top up with the wood burner unless you've massively oversized it as it will spend much too much of its time in defrost.

Pointing this out now as the task of fixing it after the install will be an absolute pig compared to just rotating it now.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just make a hole in the fence and blow cold air into the neighbor's yard

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Buy a big fan and point it at the heat pump

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Waiting for that to set but realised I don't have all the other stuff I need to get the heating online. Bought a 200l buffer tank from italy. Could be weeks. ok. great.

Are there not buffer tanks in England that you could have?

distortion park posted:

Buy a big fan an air conditioner and point it at the heat pump

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

meltie posted:

Are there not buffer tanks in England that you could have?

Probably but I'd identified this as probably the best one for a decent price before accounting for where it was coming from.

I bought it from pumpsUKltd.com so I kind of feel like I wasn't going out of my way to find some obscure foreign import.

I was about to start oiling the cladding as the cedar tint oil has arrived but the guy in the shop was throwing a wobbly about me doing it now it's so cold. Insisted I phone the manufacturer, osmo.

Their technical guy chided me so severely that I'm now not going to oil it until march. Also I need to try and return what I've bought as he says it's the wrong colour and will make the house look like it's been tangoed.

He assures me it won't go horrible and grey in those 4 months. I still don't believe him but whatever.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Heating / cooling stuff is weirdly cheap in Italy, it feels like you can get most stuff there for nearly half price.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

That roof is nice.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Seconding that it is an awful idea to jam your heat pump in there like that. The space behind it is probably fine but it's exhausting straight at a fence. You absolutely need at least 1.5 metres in front of it and more is better. It's going to recirculate the air that it's just extracted heat from and try to extract even more heat from it.

If it doesn't fit in there sideways it would be better to find another location.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
Mount the heatpump on stilts so it blows over the fence.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Mount the heatpump on a scissor lift stand so it can elevate itself to blow over the fence when running, and settle back down when off or when it needs maintained.

This might require a new PLC cabinet in the plant room, and/or a hydraulic power pack and associated plumbing but I think it fits the house.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Put it in the plant room and get some tropical plants.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Put it in the plant room and get some tropical plants.

*Arctic plants if I'm not mistaken in how heat pumps work

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

vanity slug posted:

Heating / cooling stuff is weirdly cheap in Italy, it feels like you can get most stuff there for nearly half price.

It's overruns from the espresso machine industry

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Probably but I'd identified this as probably the best one for a decent price before accounting for where it was coming from.

I bought it from pumpsUKltd.com so I kind of feel like I wasn't going out of my way to find some obscure foreign import.

I was about to start oiling the cladding as the cedar tint oil has arrived but the guy in the shop was throwing a wobbly about me doing it now it's so cold. Insisted I phone the manufacturer, osmo.

Their technical guy chided me so severely that I'm now not going to oil it until march. Also I need to try and return what I've bought as he says it's the wrong colour and will make the house look like it's been tangoed.

He assures me it won't go horrible and grey in those 4 months. I still don't believe him but whatever.

It took 3 months for my larch cladding to really get a nice golden colour, even in the summer, so you should be good. It’s the UV that turns it grey and we’re not going to see much of that for a while.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

vanity slug posted:

I'm quite sure this is :thejoke: but turns out reselling free things is cheap

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

niethan posted:

*Arctic plants if I'm not mistaken in how heat pumps work

Australian ones, so they're comfortable with the inverted seasons

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah good call on waiting til spring to do oiling or whatever. You're asking for massive issues if you try to paint when it's too cold and I assume the same is true for finishing oils and stains and what have you (though probably slightly different problems).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The stain and oil stuff is dissolved in solvent and it needs to penetrate the grains and then the volatiles need to gas off leaving the good poo poo behind. When it's too cold it doesn't penetrate right, doesn't gas off fast enough, the chemical reactions don't go as they should, etc. Sometimes you can kinda get away with it but no manufacturer is going to tell you it's OK to go outside their recommended temps because they don't want you to turn around and demand they replace your whole house of siding because they told you to do X and it was wrong and you can prove it your honor just listen to this chemist here, etc. etc. Some of them genuinely want you to get good results too, so it's also out of the kindness of the phone person.

Anyway yeah the cedar will not turn gray in 3-6 months it takes more like a couple years for that.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

BonerGhost posted:

See this is the advantage of DIY. If you pay someone else, they will cut corners, and make compromises, and years down the road you will curse their names. When you do it yourself, you will cut corners, and make compromises, and years down the road you will say "it was the right call."

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Hmmm. yeah I am a bit worried about the heatpump placement. But its really the handiest place to put it in terms of running pipework straight back into the plantroom and interfacing with underfloor heating manifold etc. And also keeping it out of the way.

The manufacturer instructions say to leave 300mm gap behind and beside it which is actually on the lower end I think. And I'm doing that.

So heatpump in blue

So you can see the heatpump is a metre from the fence, down to like 800 at the far end... but there is the long open air passage down the back of the house, thats like 15metres plus long.

Manufacturer says this pump needs 1.5m in front of it. So the average of 900mm over 3/4 of it and 15m plus for the final quarter means, on average, theres like 4-5m of clearance in front of it. Clearly exceeding the manufacturers recommendations.

The fan is on the left of the unit as you look at it. SO in the helpful position for this rules lawyering attempt to make it work.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
Lay it so it blows up and down. Hang it off the wall with some L brackets.

Mousus
Apr 9, 2009
I just spent more effort than I should have checking your dimensions in sketchup and then realised I can't be bothered to find somewhere to actually upload images to be helpful with my indicative picture of it rotated the other way.

Long and short of it is you really want to install it facing the other way (or somewhere completely different but I'm sure that has a separate kettle of fish you'd rather not touch). The side clearances are 90% for pipework installation 10% for air intake. The rear is the main air intake and then it blows it out the front. If the air just hits something in front of the unit it bounces back and then gets sucked back into the unit for a second go round, which you really don't want as it will make the unit work like crap. Might suggest you extend your concrete plinth to set it up to go the other way round, make your initial pipework bends off the unit and connections with the unit still loose then bolt it down only once you've determined you can/can't make it fit. You can even go the other way around the building to get to the awkward side of it that will end up blocked off by installing that way round.

Failing that if you decide that's too tight just put it somewhere in front of the plantroom door, has the advantage of moving it further away from the bedrooms which are the rooms that you tend to care about heat pump noise in anyway. Probably about line it up with the beam across from between the sliding doors. Shouldn't even be too hard to get your pipework into the plantroom from there.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I could adrian newey the gently caress out of it and create something like this?

Like an aerodynamic heatpump wing to direct air away from the fence smoothly rather and butting straight into it?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
A Leopard never changes his spots

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

See, it could if it had 36 independently controllable ones.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

which bedroom would you guys pick? I kinda like the idea of Bedroom 3 even without the ensuit and dressing room

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Solefald posted:

which bedroom would you guys pick? I kinda like the idea of Bedroom 3 even without the ensuit and dressing room

I'll make up a bed for you in the shipping container and maybe even rent back a portoloo for you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Tent in the living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'll make up a bed for you in the shipping container and maybe even rent back a portoloo for you.

Why rent the portoloo, you have such nice bushes.

Your roses will win an award this year from the pub shits