Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

queeb posted:

anyone seen this:

https://x.com/JuiceHead33/status/1729289164334469195?s=20

Bethesda responding to steam reviews and it is not a good look lol

What dipshit manager got convinced the right move was to act like an overly-defensive indie game developer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Chillmatic posted:

Starfield and Fallout 76 were made by the exact same team. This is not an industry secret, look at the credits for yourself. The Austin studio assisted with the multiplayer development of 76 but the design was done by "Big Main Bethesda", the same as all their titles.

Yeah alright I got that wrong. I remembered reading a story a few years ago that made it seem like it was lead by one of their smaller studios and repeated that info, sue me.

Don't think it warrants this snide response you loving prick.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 28, 2023

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

queeb posted:

anyone seen this:

makes me feel bad for the devs, mostly

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah alright I got that wrong. I remembered reading a story a few years ago that made it seem like it was lead by one of their smaller studios and repeated that info, sue me.

You ok, bud?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

OddObserver posted:

One thing I wonder about : did I miss something, or did they just not do much with the Va'ruun?

The mainstream Va'ruun are like the Cylons. They just went away except for the one guy who mans the embassy. If you can call it that...

I seriously thought I was about to meet some hosed up man/snake hybrid thing in the basement of the embassy. That might be the best short quest in the game.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

queeb posted:

anyone seen this:

Lmao this is just sad.

How in tyool 2023 could anyone think this is a good idea. It's just going to result in even more bad reviews.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I couldn't even imagine doing this in a post "sense of pride and accomplishment" world

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Poil posted:

I'm kinda enjoying them repeatable blasting away at their own feet. :toot:

(I'm sure as hell not clicking links to the xcrement site however)

You can read it on Forbes instead

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/11/28/here-are-bethesdas-weird-responses-to-negative-starfield-steam-reviews/

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Are the responses being generated by an AI Chatbot that has been trained on nothing but the marketing copy?

I hope someone decides to do the same in return, but uses nothing but data from the in game dialogue files.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Rather than trying to argue with the Internet I would simply make a good game

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

To me the jarring thing is that only the introduction with the mineshaft elevator and again when the player wakes up after touching the first artifact has custom animations, so I thought the rest of the game would be like that. The rest of the game instead just has that mannequin zoom-face talking poo poo. Even the ending is you mannequin-talking to yourself. It's like Bethesda just couldn't be arsed after the intro and called it a day. They have the capability to animate characters properly, they just didn't wanna do it.

I'm pretty glad the rest of the game doesn't have those canned DreamWorks snarky expressions and animations

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

EricFate posted:

Are the responses being generated by an AI Chatbot that has been trained on nothing but the marketing copy?

I hope someone decides to do the same in return, but uses nothing but data from the in game dialogue files.

I'm gonna guess they probably outsourced this to some marketing company who is using people who aren't great at writing in American-style English to push the buttons that generate the responses.

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm pretty glad the rest of the game doesn't have those canned DreamWorks snarky expressions and animations

They use the same animation every time you touch an artifact, right? It would be a lot cooler if they started small and built on it as you progress.
I think the best implementation of this was the runes in the first Assassin's Creed.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 28, 2023

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

queeb posted:

anyone seen this:

This might be the clowniest part of the whole saga, it’s amazing.

Is Kotaku better than X? I think yes. https://kotaku.com/starfield-steam-reviews-bethesda-1851052929?utm_source=artifact

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Starfield: YOU CAN FLY! YOU CAN SHOOT! YOU CAN MINE! YOU CAN LOOT! YOU CAN UNINSTALL!

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Seeing that the devs (or what, an intern?) might actually read my reviews prompted me to actually bang one out, game's bad ya'll and they need to know I think that even if I played it a ton.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

:eyepop:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

thebardyspoon posted:

Whoa now.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Starfield is turning us against each other! Be calm my friends, we have a common enemy!

So, aside from the starborn ships, all the ones that land and don't have people get off also stay closed so I can't board them. Last night I came upon a POI with a landed ecliptic claymore that had the landing ramp down and a couple ecliptic dudes hanging around so after offing them, I quick saved and boarded it. It takes off and I wander around this empty ship, looting a couple items and resources from the storage and find out my fear that I couldn't fly this thing came true.

Thank God I was able to open the planet menu and fast travel back to my ship...from orbit...

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Barometer posted:

Starfield is turning us against each other! Be calm my friends, we have a common enemy!

The Starfield thread will never be able to heal until we have tits on a terrormorph.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Chillmatic posted:

Starfield and Fallout 76 were made by the exact same team. This is not an industry secret, look at the credits for yourself. The Austin studio assisted with the multiplayer development of 76 but the design was done by "Big Main Bethesda", the same as all their titles.

This is actually news to me, I had always thought Todd Howards team was not at all involved with Fallout 76. I have tried to play the game multiple times, even after the big updates, and cant get more than an hour before I bounce off it. F76 is dreadfully terrible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

isndl posted:

The Starfield thread will never be able to heal until we have tits on a terrormorph.

But we have tits and anime on our spaceships, when does the violence end?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There's no patent on loading screen minigames anymore so Starfield really could've been like 60% more game putting asteroids or galaga on loading screen.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Khanstant posted:

There's no patent on loading screen minigames anymore so Starfield really could've been like 60% more game putting asteroids or galaga on loading screen.

*monkey's paw curls*

The load screen is now digipicking. You have to open the lock to exit the load screen.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
The best loading screens are the Neon City ones immediately followed by an unavoidable 5 mile dash up to Ryujin corporate office. every. single. time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

isndl posted:

*monkey's paw curls*

The load screen is now digipicking. You have to open the lock to exit the load screen.

Lol man I remember when I was excited there was a new lockpick minigame, then it was like a game they have for kids at Supercuts where a wooden block can be moved on a rail back and forth.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

isndl posted:

And replace terrormorphs with mudcrabs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Empty planets are not boring because real people weren't bored on the moon is an actually incredible statement for a human to have written.

It's probably not true as well, I bet those dudes were hella bored when they weren't actively working.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The empty planets would be less boring if I could fly down to the planet, fly around the surface, then leave. But the all fast travel movement system makes the game feel like a series of vignettes and in that context "barren wasteland" is boring as hell

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
dats me. the trawler of nexus, bringer of dumb crap. I'll link universal inventory again. https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/5670 it does not work with the better gui of outpost building though, having both might crash your game to desktop.

anyway : https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/7299 "waaaaah I dont want to go through the thing and have nothing and build up from scratch?" modders have heard you.
Transfer Inventories - Export-Import Inventories Between Save Games - SFSE

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/7306 hahaha! hilarious, they have been trying to contact you regarding blablabla. ok imma kill you. or board you, oh you managed to grav jump despite it being disabled?
Dead Ships Can't Grav Jump

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/7304 now you too can roleplay as a barista, erryoners gonna wanna talk to your manager.
ZMD Galactic Multi Colour Hair Replacers v1 2K

thebardyspoon posted:

:qqsay:

staberind fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 29, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Azhais posted:

The empty planets would be less boring if I could fly down to the planet, fly around the surface, then leave. But the all fast travel movement system makes the game feel like a series of vignettes and in that context "barren wasteland" is boring as hell

I am... sceptical... that flying over a bunch of rocks won't get boring past the first five minutes. (And it'd probably be tons of effort to add).

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
More or less boring than walking over those same rocks for five minutes to get to a PoI 1500 meters away?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ngl I did basically no research on this game and just assumed you could fly above the planet surface like the 2016 videogame no man's sky

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

hawowanlawow posted:

ngl I did basically no research on this game and just assumed you could fly above the planet surface like the 2016 videogame no man's sky

I mean, they did rip off the "use laser beams on stuff - get materials " mechanic used in most games, they just whiffed on flying around and surface transport being a thing. nbd,
"its the journy not the destination" as all your followers will at some point echo,
however, as there is a hardlock on the distance you can travel from your landing site, whats the point of getting to that barrier quicker? :bethesdabrain:

VV that's probably the least gamebreakingish way to do it, bonus points if you spam "magically pull all the minerals to you" while djdkjdkjdjkdjkdjdkdjkdjkdjkdjkdjkddjdjkkjkjdkj'ing across the moonscape VVVV

staberind fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 29, 2023

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
*spaces all PoIs 1km from each other with nothing but pointless rocks in between*
*also makes your ship land 300-500 meters from every place you want to go, at least the first time*

player.setav speedmult 500 :getin:

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

staberind posted:

anyway : https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/7299 "waaaaah I dont want to go through the thing and have nothing and build up from scratch?" modders have heard you.
Transfer Inventories - Export-Import Inventories Between Save Games - SFSE
OK, that is just amazing.

staberind posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/7304 now you too can roleplay as a barista, erryoners gonna wanna talk to your manager.
ZMD Galactic Multi Colour Hair Replacers v1 2K
You can also finally roleplay as a "dog walker"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
I did one of the Rangers' hostage rescue missions and, uh, this happened

...docking trouble...

Also, the layout of the ship was an incomprehensible mess. I assume they're somehow even more procedurally generated than the normal ones.

e: It's not evident from the screenshot, but I'm "docked" with that ship, despite the obvious difficulties that might present.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 30, 2023

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Are you using a mod that skips docking cutscenes? Because I was observing this in my playthrough and it was usually happening when I got out of the pilot seat while the docking animation wasn't finished playing in the background.

It did happen a few times even when I was careful to wait long enough so there's still Bethesda jank though.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nope, no mods. The docking cutscene played and showed my docking port reaching out to the bottom of a hab module, exactly as shown in the screenshot

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Lollerich posted:

OK, that is just amazing.

You can also finally roleplay as a "dog walker"

If they could just do one where you get to be the elevator operator in Slayton Aerospace...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah someone was trying to break out of the dull spaceman factory and you can only find a few glimmers of Fun Writing in the game

Sarah hated that