Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Forgot to try "Pickling" while CTRL+F'ing for threads in the first two pages. Thanks, I'll try there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What's the best way to use stock when making rice?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Gripweed posted:

Use it in place of water.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Gripweed posted:

To make it into jambalaya

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Use it in place of water.

In place of water entirely? That's not too much?

That Works posted:

To make it into jambalaya

I got some sausage and onions and such, I was figuring on pitching it all in the ricemaker, out of laziness

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Gripweed posted:

Yes, no

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Precisely.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Gripweed posted:

You can do this with other starches as well. A super old-school approach to pasta e piselli is to cook the ditalini in just enough stock so that when it's done cooking all the liquid is absorbed, and then you just toss it with the rest of the ingredients.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Make mashed potatoes by cooking the potatoes in stock instead of water or milk

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
Is there a way to make frozen costco edamame taste better? I follow the directions to microwave it, but it ends up being pretty lackluster.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is it salted?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

DildenAnders posted:

Is there a way to make frozen costco edamame taste better? I follow the directions to microwave it, but it ends up being pretty lackluster.

quote:

microwave

This is your problem. Edamame should be quickly blanched or steamed, then salted before serving. Microwave will not produce acceptable results in my opinion.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I think it is lightly salted but not nearly enough to taste good.
Do you think I coule blanch, salt, put them back in the fridge and eat them the next day? I can't exactly blanch them at work.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Couldnt hurt to try

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I usually microwave it and it seems fine, idk if blanching will really improve it that much given its frozen.

Best to just toss it in a bowl after its hot and toss it with some coarse salt. You mostly get the salt from the pods/your fingers. I dont think the costco stuff is salted at all.

It could also be you got a lovely bag. Ive bought the costco frozen corn occasionally and more than half the time its a poo poo bag thats possibly edible by a hog, if it ran out of rancid slop to eat.

So yeah IME the frozen Costco veggies can vary wildly from ok to cold garbage, you might have just gotten a bag from the garbage shipment.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Anyone have a lot of experience with vegan butter substitutes?

I usually do holiday baking and bring a bunch as gifts for my team. Ive got two new coworkers who are dairy free that I will definitely be accommodating, but wondering if just a straight swap will still turn out well.

Fudge - Original recipe was margarine, even though I use butter. My mom still uses margarine and its good, so I know this one will be fine.

Salted brown butter vanilla rice crispy treats - this particular recipe is obviously a nonstarter, since the brown butter is is kinda the core flavor. Do rice crispy treats in general do well with butter subs?

Meyer lemon and lavender shortbread - The butter is a pretty prominent flavor obviously, but the others do a lot of heavy lifting. Will a butter substitute generally have equivalent short texture? Should I be looking for water content to match butter?

I may just end up making some test batches in the next few weeks, but would love to get some knowledge for a head start.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I havent tried baking with it, but the miyokos cultured butter was pretty buttery when I tried it. It may even brown pretty well, its made with some cultured cashew milk, so the cashew solids may brown up.

Of course the more difficult part would be finding a replacement for the marshmallows; the marshmallows are made with gelatin and idk if theres any vegan alternatives.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Eeyo posted:

I havent tried baking with it, but the miyokos cultured butter was pretty buttery when I tried it. It may even brown pretty well, its made with some cultured cashew milk, so the cashew solids may brown up.

Of course the more difficult part would be finding a replacement for the marshmallows; the marshmallows are made with gelatin and idk if theres any vegan alternatives.

Yeah, the two new team members are not vegan, just dairy and beef-free. I have confirmed that the Kraft marshmallows I always use are strictly pork gelatin, no beef, so am good there.

I had never heard of that miyokos butter. Looks interesting!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Doom Rooster posted:

Anyone have a lot of experience with vegan butter substitutes?

I usually do holiday baking and bring a bunch as gifts for my team. I’ve got two new coworkers who are dairy free that I will definitely be accommodating, but wondering if just a straight swap will still turn out well.

Fudge - Original recipe was margarine, even though I use butter. My mom still uses margarine and it’s good, so I know this one will be fine.

Salted brown butter vanilla rice crispy treats - this particular recipe is obviously a nonstarter, since the brown butter is is kinda the core flavor. Do rice crispy treats in general do well with butter subs?

Meyer lemon and lavender shortbread - The butter is a pretty prominent flavor obviously, but the others do a lot of heavy lifting. Will a butter substitute generally have equivalent short texture? Should I be looking for water content to match butter?

I may just end up making some test batches in the next few weeks, but would love to get some knowledge for a head start.

For the Rice Krispie Treats vegan marshmallows and vegan butter work fine; but you're right that you can't brown it like butter. I saw a school cafeteria lady make a huge batch with margarine and I suspect you'll find the taste of vegan butter better than industrial margarine. Same with the cookies. (Not all margarine is vegan so watch out.)

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My son can't have dairy so I just use crisco with a little vanilla when I make rice krispy treats for him.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I've taken to sous vide'ing chicken breast. Its great, easy, tasty, and juicy. However I am left without fond and a pan to make a pan sauce with. What is a great easy sauce/side to make the chicken breast a bit more interesting?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kwolok posted:

I've taken to sous vide'ing chicken breast. Its great, easy, tasty, and juicy. However I am left without fond and a pan to make a pan sauce with. What is a great easy sauce/side to make the chicken breast a bit more interesting?

Beurre blanc, hollandaise, gravy, mushrooms white wine and cream, roasted tomatoes with tarragon, miso glaze, brown butter and garlic, pesto.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Torquemada posted:

Beurre blanc, hollandaise, gravy, mushrooms white wine and cream, roasted tomatoes with tarragon, miso glaze, brown butter and garlic, pesto.

Which of these do you think would freeze well so I can just prep a gently caress ton of it, freeze it in portions and then drop in the bath at the end to heat it up.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Kwolok posted:

Which of these do you think would freeze well so I can just prep a gently caress ton of it, freeze it in portions and then drop in the bath at the end to heat it up.

Just about any variation of miso/soy sauce/sugar glaze will keep pretty much forever in the fridge. Take the chicken out of the bath, brush/spoon on the glaze, bonus points for broiling/torching to tighten up the glaze and caramelize it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Kwolok posted:

Are you saying youre in a situation where you dont have a pan

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Steve Yun posted:

Are you saying you’re in a situation where you don’t have a pan

I do, but I really can't express the extent to my laziness

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Cooling them down after sous vide and pan frying them for a minute on each side will not only make them taste better, theyll also look way more appetizing

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Steve Yun posted:

Cooling them down after sous vide and pan frying them for a minute on each side will not only make them taste better, they’ll also look way more appetizing

I know, malliard and all that, but this is for me and only me when I'm too depressed to put much effort in and I honestly think low temp sous vide chicken breast is already great.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Throw a tiny bit of ginger in the sous vide bag and tell yourself its hainan chicken

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My dad really likes Swedish fish and wine gums. Are there any other similar not too sweet gummy candies I could get him for Chirstmas? Not licorice, he doesn't gently caress with licorice.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Kwolok posted:

Either the mushrooms or the tomatoes. Emulsions don't freeze at all, the miso doesn't need to be frozen, and if you're totally unable to give a poo poo, pesto comes out of a jar.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Hi all, I was thinking of making a Candy Making thread since there does not seem to be one. Any interest in that? Along those lines I have a question about this recipe. Its my wife's grandmothers recipe that she made all the time and it actually came out as fudge. Since she passed a while ago, a number of family (with various degrees of cooking experience) have tried to replicate it but everyone has the same problem, it doesn't come out as fudge but as caramel of varying thickness and quality. We tried making it last night and hit pretty much the same problem. We also used a digital candy thermometer to make sure the temps were correct.

Comparing this recipe to others, I am guessing that there is too much corn syrup and/or sugar. Also, everyone has been using evaporated milk as the canned milk, but I am wondering if condensed will work as I see some recipes use that. Obviously, grandma is no longer around to clarify any questions or issues. I am thinking the issue is in the recipe though, and not technique as someone over the years would have chanced upon it becoming fudge.

Any thoughts or suggestions on making this into fudge and not caramel. The caramel is really good and we plan on chopping it up and tossing it into ice cream.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Canned milk in an old candy recipe could definitely be eagle brand sweetened condensed milk not evaporated milk. I would try that, although evaporated milk is common in fudge too. Beat well is probably also important and might mean beat with a wooden spoon for a minute or might mean stick it in the kitchenaid for 10 min until its cool. Im gonna guess whisking in alot of air might help it go from goopy caramel to solid fudge

Also yes I would be interested in a candy making thread, or even a general holiday treats thread.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For traditional fudge, the texture comes from the beating afaik. You beat it to encourage rapid sugar crystallization to give it a soft texture.

Here since it has corn syrup the texture is supposed to come from the milk/fat content and the right water content. The corn syrup will discourage crystallization so beating it probably won't do a huge amount.

Another possibility is your grandma could have just not used a candy thermometer and done the cold water test. Drip some into a glass of cold water and pull it when the texture is right. I'm not a candy expert, but it's possible the soft ball temperature is valid for pure sugar solutions, but since you have lots of fats and milk that may change the texture of the candy as a function of its temperature.

Edit to add: There's two types of fudge recipes. The "traditional" ones with just sugar that get the texture from crystallization, and then ones based on some kind of condensed/evaporated milk product that don't have crystallization and rely on the milk/fat for texture. So if you're comparing recipes make sure you're not getting your wires crossed.

I believe generally the canned/evaporated milk type tends to be much more smooth and creamy. The traditional variety is slightly grainy (from the crystallization), but the grains are tiny and it still tastes soft. The traditional kind would also feel a bit cool when you put it in your mouth since the crystals dissolving would physically cool down.

So check with your inlaws to see what their memory of the texture was and which one it matches more. If it was very smooth then it may just be adjusting cooking or type of canned milk product. If it was the slightly grainy kind then you'd need to do something like swap out the corn syrup or beat the poo poo out of it or something like that so it can crystallize better.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 29, 2023

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Nth-ing a candy thread

My wife has requested Cornish game hens for X-mas dinner. Does anyone have an interesting recipe or prep style? Preferably no mushrooms, but about anything else will be good. Planning on a sweet potato mash and spinach salad for sides.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Anyone have suggestions on 'Healthy Holiday Apps' Feel like its a such a bullshit category imo. However my company is raffling off cooking class for 2 and I'm all about that.

I have a beet salad I could arguably using butternut squash and some pom arils to make it 'holiday-y' but don't feel it meets the app category. Also thought about butternut bruschetta / tapas/ crustini type deal. Looking for other suggestions if you have a go to. Thanks in advance.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Torquemada posted:

Either the mushrooms or the tomatoes. Emulsions don't freeze at all, the miso doesn't need to be frozen, and if you're totally unable to give a poo poo, pesto comes out of a jar.

Thank you!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

CzarChasm posted:

Nth-ing a candy thread

My wife has requested Cornish game hens for X-mas dinner. Does anyone have an interesting recipe or prep style? Preferably no mushrooms, but about anything else will be good. Planning on a sweet potato mash and spinach salad for sides.
I made this a few years ago and it was loving delicious: https://www.saveur.com/article/recipes/georgian-style-cornish-game-hen-with-garlic-sauce-tabaka-da-niortskali/

I would make it more often but I think cornish game hens are a PITA to eat. I should try it with chicken thighs sometime.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I love that goons can look at an old recipe and visualize the final product like Neo looking at the Matrix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Steve Yun posted:

I love that goons can look at an old recipe and visualize the final product like Neo looking at the Matrix

Haha yeah its a trip