Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Sub Harrison posted:

There's only been a few X00 chapters that've actually had a big moments happen, the rest are near beginnings and endings of arcs.

Ch 100: Luffy enters Grand LIne
Ch 200: First punches landed on Crocodile
Ch 300: A couple chapters into aftermath of Enel's defeat
Ch 400: Immediately follows I WANNA LIVE, Strawhats begin their 1v1s
Ch 500: Rayleigh's introduction
Ch 600: Middle of return to Saobody and fakehats.
Ch 700: Law warns Luffy of pacing issues in Dressrosa (advice is ignored and he begins a Shonen tournament mid arc)
Ch 800: Formation of Strawhat armada
Ch 900: Bad End Musical, Thousand Sunny is blown up and 2 week break begins
Ch 1000: HIS NAME IS STRAWHAT LUFFY

Not necessarily big moments, but more often than not a X00 chapter will coincide with some sort of reveal or hype/significant moment. I've bolded the ones I think are noteworthy, and expanded on a couple.

Ch 100: Luffy enters Grand LIne
Ch 200: First punches landed on Crocodile
Ch 300: A couple chapters into aftermath of Enel's defeat - Reveal of Enel's destination as the moon (and the relevance of 'endless varse'), second bonfire party with drums of liberation playing.
Ch 400: Immediately follows I WANNA LIVE, Strawhats begin their 1v1s
Ch 500: Rayleigh's introduction
Ch 600: Middle of return to Saobody and fakehats. - chapter is titled "Island of New Beginnings", which bookends ch 508 "Island of Carnage" (the Strawhats' first encounter with a Pacifista). If it weren't for the title, I'd agree with you. Though, it's also interesting how ch 600 is our first introduction to Caribou.
Ch 700: Law warns Luffy of pacing issues in Dressrosa (advice is ignored and he begins a Shonen tournament mid arc) - Reveal that Doffy has Ace's DF, plus the Strawhats arriving at Dressrosa.
Ch 800: Formation of Strawhat armada
Ch 900: Bad End Musical, Thousand Sunny is blown up and 2 week break begins
Ch 1000: HIS NAME IS STRAWHAT LUFFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I’m back to doing my reread and got through Jaya and am reminded of how much Blackbeard owns. I had forgotten that the “blackbeard is secretly twins/triplets/has a Kuato” theory isn’t baseless insanity because Zoro and Luffy both insist that Blackbeard is multiple people after their encounter. But man that intro of him being the opposite of Luffy in taste but still believing in dreams is just great. Also Bellamy just loving sucks, a total prick, glad he got immediately clobbered. It makes sense that the time he came back was Dressrosa, the worst arc in the series.

Also having reread the fight with Crocodile also has Crocodile clearly speculating that Luffy just attacked him with Haki, though he doesn’t name it. Cool little bit on that on the initial read seems more like Crocodile speculating that Luffy figured out his weakness of water (which is what happened) but it’s entirely plausible he was wondering if it was haki.

In addition, this reading things over again with current knowledge is making me kind of lean towards the rat-Shanks theory. The way the Gorosei talk about him before the warlord meeting makes it seem plausible.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Bellamy coming back as an actual for real dude that respected dreams was one of the best parts of Dressrosa, imo. Tbh it might be the single best part taken as a whole besides Usopp unlocking observation haki*, a lot of the other hype stuff like Zoro cutting up a guy the size of a mountain like butter and Gear 5 have lame parts attached (Zoro chasing Pica around for a dozen chapters because Oda wanted it to be climatic, Luffy’s dumb ten minute rule).

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Chapter 300 has Luffy doing the Sun God Nika silhouette

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wow

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Cat Machine posted:

Chapter 300 has Luffy doing the Sun God Nika silhouette

Oh, I forgot he does it at both bonfire parties, not just the first one.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I will hold my breath until this new chapter comes out.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Ok what about the triple digit chapters though

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I had forgotten that the “blackbeard is secretly twins/triplets/has a Kuato” theory isn’t baseless insanity because Zoro and Luffy both insist that Blackbeard is multiple people after their encounter.
Another plausible explanation for their reaction there is simply that they noticed Blackbeard's other crew members hiding around nearby. But yes the importance the framing gives to the comment seems a little bit unusual, I wouldn't write that comment off completely.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
TCB Version is out for 1100:

https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7556/one-piece-chapter-1100?date=29-11-2023-21

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Next chapter is presumably the last one of the flashback but man, what the hell is Kuma doing over there? Isn't this less than a year before Luffy set sail?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

*exhales*

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's the first I heard of Ace beating the Shichibukai before Kuma. Is it from the Ace novels?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Plutonis posted:

That's the first I heard of Ace beating the Shichibukai before Kuma. Is it from the Ace novels?

yeah thats what I was wondering too

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

:smith:

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Bartholomew Kuma is history's greatest Dad

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Let out an audible "oh gently caress" at the last page

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
this is the first we have heard about ace beating a warlord, it wasn't in the side-story either (to the best of my admittedly poor memory).

really wonder why kuma is where he is at the end...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:negative:

The Kuma sails are the cutest drat thing

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
bonney drew his jolly roger :qq:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
great chap

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Kizaru doing the Nika dance is crazy

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Man this chapter has honestly tons of details peppered in.

So Kizaru/Sentomaru/Bonney connection comes from the time she was at Egghead to cure her disease. Explains the sympathy Kizaru showed.

Given this is a year before Luffy sets out it means Vegapunk didn't create the Stella until at the very least that moment, even possibly until timeskip.

This also means Bonney became a notorious enough rookie pirate at the ripe age of 9-9 and a half-10, drat. Girl was in a warpath to see her dad again.

Also Saturn being the pettiest being in the planet cause the loss of free will is absolutely to parallel his words at God Valley.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I wonder if Bonney actually got the letters. It feels very World Government to just grab them and not let her have them.

Vegapunk still had something he wanted to give her, so could be all the letters he managed to acquire through his connections? Something like that

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mabels big day posted:

He's probably a great guy and might have been a badass pirate if he didn't become another cog in the machine.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
my new headcanon is that the drums at the start of we are are the drums of liberation

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

oh no Kuma is gonna kill Luffy before his journey and create a time paradox :ohdear:

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Saturn you bastard bitch I want you dead!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I cried when Kuma cried in relief that all he had to do was die to save his daughter. Stupid good dad! She wants you with her! Fight for yourself, if not for your own sake then for hers! gently caress! I love Kuma so much.

I also cried when I saw he went out to sea with a jolly roger designed by her.

The Decks of the World retro-shichibukai edition was fun. I wonder what Kuma is doing at Fusha Village. There's not a lot of room for significant things in Luffy's backstory at this point. Did the World Government somehow find out about the gum-gum fruit? Maybe Fusha is a fake out and we're about to learn how Sterry became king of Goa.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

mabels big day posted:

Yeah that makes me think he’ll intervene to save Bonney. He was already dropping hints that he really didn’t want to do this and Bonney being in danger will probably be what finally gets him to turn heel

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Eiba posted:

The Decks of the World retro-shichibukai edition was fun. I wonder what Kuma is doing at Fusha Village. There's not a lot of room for significant things in Luffy's backstory at this point. Did the World Government somehow find out about the gum-gum fruit? Maybe Fusha is a fake out and we're about to learn how Sterry became king of Goa.

Do we know if Shanks was sitting on the Gum Gum fruit for a while between stealing it and Luffy eating it? Either way he was definitely based on that area for a time given the comments about being the last time they can visit in the very first chapter.

e: nvm thought we were further in the past than we are

ragnarokette fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 29, 2023

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

gently caress the world government

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

I reckon Kuma's been sent to investigate rumours of a rubber boy. He'll see signs of Nika within Luffy and discover his connection to Dragon, but they won't actually meet (we know Luffy doesn't recognise him at Sabaody).
Kuma will feed the WG misinformation about Luffy and that'll throw them off Luffy's scent until Sabaody/Marineford.
Also, on reread Kuma's encounter with the Strawhats at Thriller Bark seems to be entirely focused on evaluating Luffy's crew. He concludes they're too weak, but admires their loyalty and determination. No wonder he sent them all to places they could develop their skills and strengths further.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Man this chapter has honestly tons of details peppered in.

So Kizaru/Sentomaru/Bonney connection comes from the time she was at Egghead to cure her disease. Explains the sympathy Kizaru showed.

Given this is a year before Luffy sets out it means Vegapunk didn't create the Stella until at the very least that moment, even possibly until timeskip.

This also means Bonney became a notorious enough rookie pirate at the ripe age of 9-9 and a half-10, drat. Girl was in a warpath to see her dad again.

Also Saturn being the pettiest being in the planet cause the loss of free will is absolutely to parallel his words at God Valley.

Kalifa's sister is absolutely either going to gently caress up and say something about what's really happening that Bonny overhears, or will be cruel for the sake of cruelty because she doesn't think Bonny can do anything. And a super-powered pre-teen is nearly as volatile as a super-powered teenager. Perhaps more so if they tell her they tricked her daddy.

Props to Saturn for really solidifying his standing at the top of the One Piece Assholes I want to see punched into oblivion. Dude had some real competition, and he just smoked them all.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kuma explaining the Nika Nika world liberation plan to an increasingly disgusted Luffy: Ah whatever you'll figure it out in like 3 years, I'll push this memory out of you. See you never, God King Joy D. Boy, and don't damage that hat!!!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Crosspeice posted:

Kuma explaining the Nika Nika world liberation plan to an increasingly disgusted Luffy: Ah whatever you'll figure it out in like 3 years, I'll push this memory out of you. See you never, God King Joy D. Boy, and don't damage that hat!!!
Oh, of course, I didn't even think of the fact that he could push memories out.

Yeah, anything could happen here and Kuma just wipes Luffy's memory of it.

I was musing that he might figure out Luffy's dream and think he was the real deal (hence scouting/protecting the Strawhats later), but I had no idea how Kuma could do that stealthily. Of course he doesn't have to if he just erases the evidence after.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Crosspeice posted:

i have no idea why i didn't think of kuma pushing any interaction out of luffy's memory. great idea...

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wonder if the other Elder Stars are even worse, cause man they have to put in a lot of work to even catch up at this point.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Gyges posted:

Kalifa's sister is absolutely either going to gently caress up and say something about what's really happening that Bonny overhears, or will be cruel for the sake of cruelty because she doesn't think Bonny can do anything. And a super-powered pre-teen is nearly as volatile as a super-powered teenager. Perhaps more so if they tell her they tricked her daddy.

Props to Saturn for really solidifying his standing at the top of the One Piece Assholes I want to see punched into oblivion. Dude had some real competition, and he just smoked them all.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I wonder if the other Elder Stars are even worse, cause man they have to put in a lot of work to even catch up at this point.

Came to post what electric phantasm said. Oda will do it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm assuming he's representative and so I'm not holding back on hating them all.

Though at this point Saturn's loathsomeness is pretty visceral.