Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Clipperton posted:

I'm quitting weed for a bit, and I'm looking for something breezy and fun to read to kill time while I'm restless/can't sleep. Previous books that did the job include Joe Abercrombie's The Heroes and Stephen Hunter books about snipers. SF, fantasy and military thrillers would be great but I'm wide open really.

Enders Game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Can anybody recommend good sources for Arthurian stuff? I'm particularly interested in stuff that didn't make it into the canon that most people remember today, like Galehaut and the members of the Round Table who were sorcerers or werewolves or other crazy poo poo like that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rand Brittain posted:

Can anybody recommend good sources for Arthurian stuff? I'm particularly interested in stuff that didn't make it into the canon that most people remember today, like Galehaut and the members of the Round Table who were sorcerers or werewolves or other crazy poo poo like that.

I did a big king arthur thread years ago. You may be wanting to go deeper than I went, though, it was just a surface overview.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617881

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I did a big king arthur thread years ago. You may be wanting to go deeper than I went, though, it was just a surface overview.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617881

The phrase "I did a big king arthur thread years ago. You may be wanting to go deeper than I went, though[...]" encapsulates the SA experience so perfectly.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VelociBacon posted:

The phrase "I did a big king arthur thread years ago. You may be wanting to go deeper than I went, though[...]" encapsulates the SA experience so perfectly.

:patriot:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, that kind of merits a "thank you for your service".

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Anyone have any opinions on The Poppy War trilogy by R. F. Kuang?

I keep seeing it recommended on Booktok. Thinking of diving into it after I catch up on The Stormlight Archive (or maybe earlier if I need a breather).

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Anyone have any opinions on The Poppy War trilogy by R. F. Kuang?

I keep seeing it recommended on Booktok. Thinking of diving into it after I catch up on The Stormlight Archive (or maybe earlier if I need a breather).

It's been discussed a few times in the sci-fi/fantasy book thread, usually the consensus is that it's relentlessly dark and not exceptionally well written, and cribs pretty liberally from real-world war atrocities in heavy-handed ways. I can't speak too much to it myself, I started it but found it pretty unbearable to read--I thought it was simultaneously very slow, overly concerned with being edgy and intense, and weirdly juvenile in the writing at times.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

MockingQuantum posted:

It's been discussed a few times in the sci-fi/fantasy book thread, usually the consensus is that it's relentlessly dark and not exceptionally well written, and cribs pretty liberally from real-world war atrocities in heavy-handed ways. I can't speak too much to it myself, I started it but found it pretty unbearable to read--I thought it was simultaneously very slow, overly concerned with being edgy and intense, and weirdly juvenile in the writing at times.

Ah. That's disappointing. Booktok seems to loving love it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The impression I got was that it's a YA novel but with rape and murder and drugs

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Opopanax posted:

The impression I got was that it's a YA novel but with rape and murder and drugs

drat. I guess that makes sense though being that the author was like 22 when the first book was published. My wife has been going through The Green Bone Saga and loving loving it and many people recommending that trilogy also recommended The Poppy War. It was mostly described as "watch a protagonist become the villain and do reprehensible poo poo but you still wanna root for them."

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Booktok seems to loving love it.

There's your problem. Booktok is the anti-recommendation engine.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just finished White Teeth by Zadie Smith and I loved it, where should I start with her other books?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

drat. I guess that makes sense though being that the author was like 22 when the first book was published. My wife has been going through The Green Bone Saga and loving loving it and many people recommending that trilogy also recommended The Poppy War. It was mostly described as "watch a protagonist become the villain and do reprehensible poo poo but you still wanna root for them."

Yeah I loved Green Bone Saga and The Poppy War is the opposite of it in so many ways. Boring main character, shallow supporting characters, a slow plot built around shock value nonsense... I at no point wanted to root for the protag even before she became the villain, she is just too many YA protag cliches packed together to be interesting or compelling.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

What book should I read next?

I have a small pile of books and they all seem good and will read them all eventually. But I want to know what, in your opinion, is a real knockout. All of these are new to me.

1) The Complete Stories of Flannery O’Connor
2) Vanity Fair - William Thackeray
3) Norwood - Charles Portis (This guy wrote True Grit, but this is more of a comedy)
4) Dubliners - James Joyce
5) Room to Dream - David Lynch & Kristina McKenna

I’ll read the first rec.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 27, 2023

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Kart Barfunkel posted:

What book should I read next?

I have a small pile of books and they all seem good and will read them all eventually. But I want to know what, in your opinion, is a real knockout. All of these are new to me.

1) The Complete Stories of Flannery O’Connor
2) Vanity Fair - William Thackeray
3) Norwood - Charles Portis (This guy wrote True Grit, but this is more of a comedy)
4) Dubliners - James Joyce
5) Room to Dream - David Lynch & Kristina McKenna

I’ll read the first rec.

Read Joyce, it’s no contest

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Read Portis, it’s no contest

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Read Joyce, it’s no contest

:gas:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:forkbomb:

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Leave me alone James Joyce!

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
What are the best boomer book series? Thinking along the lines of Jack Ryan, Jack Reacher, Harry Bosch, etc. Looking for Xmas gifts for my dad and I think he's got those covered, except maybe Bosch. Reddit recommends The Grey Man as a newer series along those lines.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Piss Stain Johnson posted:

What are the best boomer book series? Thinking along the lines of Jack Ryan, Jack Reacher, Harry Bosch, etc. Looking for Xmas gifts for my dad and I think he's got those covered, except maybe Bosch. Reddit recommends The Grey Man as a newer series along those lines.

My dad swears by the Tony Hillerman novels

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

You're missing Travis McGee in that list.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Class it up with Patrick O’Brien’s Master and Commander series.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Class it up with Patrick O’Brien’s Master and Commander series.

Then bring it back down with the Dirk Pitt series

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Azhais posted:

Then bring it back down with the Dirk Pitt series

And level it all out with the Horus Heresy

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You're missing Travis McGee in that list.

And Spenser.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
How about Frederick Forsyth?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Oh Day of the Jackal

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

anilEhilated posted:

How about Frederick Forsyth?

And Robert Ludlum

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The best in quality will always be Richard Stark's Parker series

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

The Lucas Davenport series is pretty popular for that demographic. I hear they really pick up around Book 3, but the first two are fine.

I personally like Hoke Moseley books. More comedic and weird detective stories set in Miami, rather than a hyper-competent badass saving the day. One of the few book series my dad and I both like.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rory Clements' Tom Wilde novels. Eh kills hitlers and doesn't afraid of anything.

e: haha JK serious answer:

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Rory Clements' Tom Wilde novels. Eh kills hitlers and doesn't afraid of anything.

I loved the movie when I was 12.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What are these alternate covers, this is destroyer erasure

There's like 154 books in that series, will keep you busy for a while

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

It's not really a series as such, more a selection of books with the same character, but the Smiley books by John le Carré are all good to great.
Call for the Dead (1961)
A Murder of Quality (1962)
The Spy Who Came In from the Cold (1963)
The Looking Glass War (1965)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (1974)
The Honourable Schoolboy (1977)
Smiley's People (1979)
The Secret Pilgrim (1990)
A Legacy of Spies (2017)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Robert Ludlum's books about Jason Bourne.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

It's not really a series as such, more a selection of books with the same character, but the Smiley books by John le Carré are all good to great.
Call for the Dead (1961)
A Murder of Quality (1962)
The Spy Who Came In from the Cold (1963)
The Looking Glass War (1965)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (1974)
The Honourable Schoolboy (1977)
Smiley's People (1979)
The Secret Pilgrim (1990)
A Legacy of Spies (2017)

IIRC the first two of these are pretty standard murder mysteries which happen to have a spy as a protagonist, if the reader wants the full-on Le Carré spycraft experience they should probably jump straight into the third one

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Two requests:

A good Pratchett audiobook that will serve as an entrypoint into his other works. I've heard mixed things about the audio versions.

Also, any books that discuss LGBT treatment in modern prisons. I am wrapping up an Oral History of Riker's, but that only has a single chapter focusing on LGBT issues.

MockingQuantum posted:

I read Blood Meridian about a month back and I'm looking for some other books like it as a result. I don't need anything nearly as bleak or intense as Meridian (or really want anything that intense for a bit, lol), mostly looking for westerns that don't really idealize or mythologize the American west, or at least play with some of the standard themes in interesting ways.

Butcher's Crossing by John Miller is a hell of a read. And it scratched my Cormac itch. If you want something a little more "fun" that is also well-written, try The Thicket by Joe R. Lansdale.

Rand Brittain posted:

The Once and Future King is pretty great if you haven't read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Could anyone recommend good books about the design of cities, and how they develop? Been reading Great Streets and The Design of Cities, but basically looking for things that'll help me look at cities differently when I'm wandering about. In particular, going to be going to some v old European cities soon and want to have a bit more of a vocabulary/ framework for thinking about them!

E: diagrams/maps/illustrations a bonus for sure!