Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Dangerous Person posted:

Sleeping Dogs owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dangerous Person posted:

Sleeping Dogs owns

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

kirbysuperstar posted:

fully admit to laughing each and every time he said "Hai, Kazuma desu."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
This may be a stupid question, but I've been wondering about the depiction of phones in anime. Is it strictly based on what the mangaka/LN author chooses, or do companies pay for placement with specific production companies?

Cause even if they don't actually use an Apple logo, everyone recognizes a circular home button, or the various camera block orientations on the rear of a phone.

A recent one even had the "dynamic Island" of the iPhone 14 Pro/15 lineup.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 1, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You can't copyright a circular button or an arrangement of cameras so as long as you ain't got the apple, you're gucci baby

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

like i don't think McD pays for every mgdonald or reference in every series. its just a way to reference it without actually touching the copyright

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
wcdonalds!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Bepsi

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

This may be a stupid question, but I've been wondering about the depiction of phones in anime. Is it strictly based on what the mangaka/LN author chooses, or do companies pay for placement with specific production companies?

Cause even if they don't actually use an Apple logo, everyone recognizes a circular home button, or the various camera block orientations on the rear of a phone.

A recent one even had the "dynamic Island" of the iPhone 14 Pro/15 lineup.
if apple was paying for product placement, you'd see the apple logo.

you also dont really see manga/LNs with those kinds of branding deals.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Endorph posted:

if apple was paying for product placement, you'd see the apple logo.

you also dont really see manga/LNs with those kinds of branding deals.

It makes for an interesting way of gauging the device preferences of mangaka/authors then. I kinda wish I kept a running list of the depictions of the Nintendo Switch in anime/manga I've seen. The couch/bed playability factor for gaming in Japan is real.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Let us never forget Pizza Hut sponsoring Code Geass.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

the best part of that is that the producers just went 'yeah stick it in a couple times, cc likes pizza' and the animators decided to insert it everywhere constantly on their own because they thought it was funny

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
pizza is the stamina refill item in the latest code geass mobage, though unbranded now I think

glory to cheese-kun

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Code Geass Pizza Hutt is nothing compared to the first two Eva Rebuild movies. Brand names will survive even the apocalypse.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hathaway's Flash is like after 3+ apocalypse events in the Gundam timeline and Jollibees still lives.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A very merry Hashire Sori Yo to you.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

DECEMBER, MY GUNDAM!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

the best part of that is that the producers just went 'yeah stick it in a couple times, cc likes pizza' and the animators decided to insert it everywhere constantly on their own because they thought it was funny

They were right

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Clarste posted:

I'm more of an Akiba's Trip Carl's Jr. Restaurant scene guy.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/YameteTomete/status/1730512854745325733

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

gently caress yeah lesbians and singing RULE

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hell yeah

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oh dang

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My broad understanding is that Japan doesn’t have fair use the same way we do in the west (or potentially even at all?)so referencing things has to be a lot less direct.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Namtab posted:

My broad understanding is that Japan doesn’t have fair use the same way we do in the west (or potentially even at all?)so referencing things has to be a lot less direct.

Yeah, there was a mangatuber who almost lost his job because Toei went berserk and started copyright striking his manga review vids that used Dragonball/One Piece footage, and also striking literally everything else, even things that made no sense, because they didn’t think US laws applied to their footage.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

gently caress yeah! I kind of wanted a series to be honest but this is good too, looking forward to seeing my favorite lesbians in action again

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Every time I hear about an overzealous company copyright striking random videos it's Toei. Why is it always them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

https://youtu.be/TtwBgQ82Pls?si=gttVbw0swop6W7rj

Forgot this was happening

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I hadn't so much forgot about it as not thought about it for months. I have no idea if it'll be any good but it'll at least be pretty with the studios they've got working on it

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The getter robo worship in nadesico kicks rear end

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

That trailer doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Visuals look alright but the bits of dialogue included not so much.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 1, 2023

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Finished up the book The Tunnel to Summer, the Exit of Goodbyes. The anime adaption really was a case of addition by subtraction - pretty much everything it scrapped from the book was a change for the better. The supporting cast are largely superfluous so it's good that the movie mostly ignores them, and removing the extremely light novel-y kind of narration + getting rid of a few of the over the top parts makes the emotions feel more genuine in the movie.

Glad I read it though since it's a short read and it was interesting to compare how the movie really elevated the material with its changes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pretty boy twink clayface is kind of a fun direction for his character, it makes sense since hes meant to be a leading man and what a lot of modern actors look like. but yeah the dialog/vibe seems pretty whatever.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Peacemaker being in this means we finally have anime John Cena.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Might just be because I've been eating pretty good with the Harley Quinn TV show for the last few years and its particular take on Harley, King Shark, Clayface and Joker.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Kwyndig posted:

Every time I hear about an overzealous company copyright striking random videos it's Toei. Why is it always them.

the bigger and older a corporation is, the more likely its upper management is filled with a lot of old people who barely understand basic things

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1730463304319910163?s=20

Code Geass yet lives

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Seeing Godzilla Minus One tonight so that means today is gonna be the slowest work day ever

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So is that the 3rd follow up? There was that Akito the Exiled spinoff, the "I lived, bitch" Lelouch one and this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
code geass is simply too beautiful to die